Ted Cruz trying to get Abortion pill classified as dangerous drug

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

Josephus33

Cowboy
A/V Subscriber
Dec 31, 2014
Tulsa
The difference of course being that NOBODY ever says, "Yea, in that situation, slavery is the correct ethical choice."

In other words, you are saying that because apples are rotten, that proves we should ban all oranges.
There have been plenty of people in the course of history that have argued that slavery is ethical. Did that have any bearing on whether or not that it was?

Binman4OSU

Legendary Cowboy
Aug 31, 2007
Stupid about AGW!!
There have been plenty of people in the course of history that have argued that slavery is ethical. Did that have any bearing on whether or not that it was?
here are some examples for you from the delegates who met to form the Confederate States of America

In citing slavery, South Carolina was less an outlier than a leader, setting the tone for other states, including Mississippi:

Our position is thoroughly identified with the institution of slavery—the greatest material interest of the world. Its labor supplies the product which constitutes by far the largest and most important portions of commerce of the earth. These products are peculiar to the climate verging on the tropical regions, and by an imperious law of nature, none but the black race can bear exposure to the tropical sun. These products have become necessities of the world, and a blow at slavery is a blow at commerce and civilization. That blow has been long aimed at the institution, and was at the point of reaching its consummation. There was no choice left us but submission to the mandates of abolition, or a dissolution of the Union, whose principles had been subverted to work out our ruin…​
Louisiana:

As a separate republic, Louisiana remembers too well the whisperings of European diplomacy for the abolition of slavery in the times of annexation not to be apprehensive of bolder demonstrations from the same quarter and the North in this country. The people of the slave holding States are bound together by the same necessity and determination to preserve African slavery.​
Alabama:

Upon the principles then announced by Mr. Lincoln and his leading friends, we are bound to expect his administration to be conducted. Hence it is, that in high places, among the Republican party, the election of Mr. Lincoln is hailed, not simply as it change of Administration, but as the inauguration of new principles, and a new theory of Government, and even as the downfall of slavery. Therefore it is that the election of Mr. Lincoln cannot be regarded otherwise than a solemn declaration, on the part of a great majority of the Northern people, of hostility to the South, her property and her institutions—nothing less than an open declaration of war—for the triumph of this new theory of Government destroys the property of the South, lays waste her fields, and inaugurates all the horrors of a San Domingo servile insurrection, consigning her citizens to assassinations, and her wives and daughters to pollution and violation, to gratify the lust of half-civilized Africans.​
Texas:

...in this free government all white men are and of right ought to be entitled to equal civil and political rights; that the servitude of the African race, as existing in these States, is mutually beneficial to both bond and free, and is abundantly authorized and justified by the experience of mankind, and the revealed will of the Almighty Creator, as recognized by all Christian nations; while the destruction of the existing relations between the two races, as advocated by our sectional enemies, would bring inevitable calamities upon both and desolation upon the fifteen slave-holding states....​

okstate987

Territorial Marshal
A/V Subscriber
Oct 17, 2009
Somewhere
A drug that makes it as easy as going to the corner drug store isn't "making it as rare as possible". It's making it easier and more accepted...that is not what pro life means to me.

And I will never stop fighting to get rid of it, no matter how hopeless it may seem to you... everybody has the right to life.
You sound like a drug warrior and a gun grabber with the bolded part.

When has making something illegal made things better? Do Chicago's gun laws reduce murder rates? Is US drug use lower or higher since the advent of the drug war? The same logic applies.

Also, aren't you for the death penalty?

okstate987

Territorial Marshal
A/V Subscriber
Oct 17, 2009
Somewhere
Child Labor?
Open Containers in Vehicles?
Meth (was legal until 1970)
Lobotomies
Forced Castration to end homosexuality
Domestic Violence
Marital Rape
Mailing People (until 1913 you could mail anything under 50lbs..including children)
Meth is still legal if it is prescribed. Ever heard of desoxyn? It is prescribed for treatment resistant ADHD.

Binman4OSU

Legendary Cowboy
Aug 31, 2007
Stupid about AGW!!
Meth is still legal if it is prescribed. Ever heard of desoxyn? It is prescribed for treatment resistant ADHD.
fun fact...it was what powered the German Blitzkrieg of WWII. They called it Pervitin and distributed it to soldiers who were ordered to take a couple of pills a couple times per day. It was also sold over the counter in Nazi Germany to help the working class with the war time effort to increase production and manufacturing

The American and British troops took the amphetamine Benzedrine in an attempt to match the effects of Pervitin and keep up with the Nazis seemingly endless energy and endurance

Josephus33

Cowboy
A/V Subscriber
Dec 31, 2014
Tulsa
fun fact...it was what powered the German Blitzkrieg of WWII. They called it Pervitin and distributed it to soldiers who were ordered to take a couple of pills a couple times per day. It was also sold over the counter in Nazi Germany to help the working class with the war time effort to increase production and manufacturing

The American and British troops took the amphetamine Benzedrine in an attempt to match the effects of Pervitin and keep up with the Nazis seemingly endless energy and endurance
So that's what they pumped into Captain America

Feb 11, 2007
Oklahoma City
The analogy that is repeated in one way or another here every time anything related to abortion safety for the mother is posted. If you don't want responses to the same worn-out analogy, don't post the same tired analogy.
Steross...as a physician who took the Hypocratic Oath years ago I stand for life and stand against abortion and assisted suicide.

CocoCincinnati

Federal Marshal
Feb 7, 2007
Tulsa, OK
You sound like a drug warrior and a gun grabber with the bolded part.

When has making something illegal made things better? Do Chicago's gun laws reduce murder rates? Is US drug use lower or higher since the advent of the drug war? The same logic applies.

Obviously a law won't completely stop it from happening, but that's not a reason not to support it if you think it's the right thing to do. Murder being illegal is certainly better than the alternative isn't it? Even if it hasn't stopped it from happening it's silly to think it has actually caused it to happen more. The same logic applies.

And yes I'm ok with the death penalty...we have pretty much agreed as a society that you may give up your rights if you break the law....that doesn't mean I can't believe in the right to life for innocent people. Put it another way, just because a person may be ok with criminals going to jail doesn't mean they can't or don't believe in the right to liberty. I am perfectly willing to compromise on the death penalty though....but so far I haven't found any pro-choice people willing to take me up on that compromise.

Mar 11, 2006
I don’t think abortion and the death penalty are comparable. Someone can be pro-life and for the death penalty and IMO that is not hypocritical. One is against innocent life and they other is not - massive difference.

Also, conversely - pro-life people have by far the upper hand on moral values. And those against the death penalty have the upper hand on moral values.

Personally for me, I want to do the correct moral choice, but I fail on both of these issues logically and for justice. I support abortion choice (not late-term) because I believe there is not a large enough support system for our society to take on that many births. But I do realize my support of choice is not the moral choice. In my family, we would never do an abortion, but I understand why others feel that is a choice they need to make and I don’t feel it should be illegal. I justify my thought by saying the pregnancy ends before the baby is viable outside the womb.

But I also support the death penalty. The moral choice would be to forgive and offer mercy. But just because I want to offer mercy doesn’t mean I don’t understand why family members of loved ones that have been slaughtered want to see the guilty party receive eye-for-an-eye justice,

steross

he/him
A/V Subscriber
Mar 31, 2004
oklahoma city
And yes I'm ok with the death penalty...we have pretty much agreed as a society that you may give up your rights if you break the law....that doesn't mean I can't believe in the right to life for innocent people. Put it another way, just because a person may be ok with criminals going to jail doesn't mean they can't or don't believe in the right to liberty. I am perfectly willing to compromise on the death penalty though....but so far I haven't found any pro-choice people willing to take me up on that compromise.
Innocent people have been killed with the death penalty.

Josephus33

Cowboy
A/V Subscriber
Dec 31, 2014
Tulsa
A life is a life. If you're truly pro-life you can't pick and choose which lives are worth saving and which aren't.
Can you really not differentiate between a baby and someone like John Wayne Gacy?

Pro-life is a label used specifically in context of abortion. It isn’t inconsistent to be fine with the logic behind the death penalty and not wanting babies to be killed in the womb.

cowboyinexile

Have some class
A/V Subscriber
Jun 29, 2004
Fairmont, MN
Can you really not differentiate between a baby and someone like John Wayne Gacy?

Pro-life is a label used specifically in context of abortion. It isn’t inconsistent to be fine with the logic behind the death penalty and not wanting babies to be killed in the womb.
All lives have value, no matter the things they have done. If you don't believe that you aren't truly pro life.

Josephus33

Cowboy
A/V Subscriber
Dec 31, 2014
Tulsa
All lives have value, no matter the things they have done. If you don't believe that you aren't truly pro life.
All lives do have value. That does not mean that we should not have justice in our society. The government has the right to deprive someone of liberty if they commit certain crimes just like it has the right to deprive someone of life if they commit particularly heinous crimes.