TCU talks w/ Bama about back up game if week 1 PAC-12 opponents cancel

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.
Apr 12, 2020
Stillwater
With limited practice time before the opener, I bet Gundy wants no part of a Big time program (Bama or Michigan) and no part of a very capable spoiler (ND State).

In fact, if we are in Gundy's sweet spot of a really talented team that could go undefeated with our current schedule, the LAST thing you want to do is swap out Oregon State for someone that could possible beat you.
This is Gundys greatest strength and his greatest weakness. Intelligent to take easy wins which boosts team confidence and gets him 10 wins and lofty pay check.
selling his elite team short and not being a high risk high reward coach has left us in the 20-30 rankings forever. Yes it’s nice and we are one of the most consistent programs the last 15 years but it would be nice to have a couple occasional top 10 finishes
Exactly. I see a big lack of ambition in this thread. I think this team we got could be really good, but even in the best case scenario, we’re gonna lose a game. We’ll be a 1 loss conference champ. Choke against a lesser opponent or lose to one of the really good teams in the conference. And we’ll get left out. They’ll take a 2nd SEC team, or a reduced schedule PAC 12 champ, or even Notre Dame.

But if you beat Bama, even with a loss there’s no way your missing the playoffs. And we’d get a chance to play them at the beginning of the year when they had a short offseason, which means less coaching to mold those young guys and make up for some of that lack of experience.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OrangeFan69

LA Face with an Okla. booty.
A/V Subscriber
Apr 24, 2010
Lives in cities you'll never see on screen
twitter.com
I LOVE the idea of opening the season vs. Alabama.

Based on what I've seen, Gundy would see no upside in challenging the team. We already have FCS Western Illinois on the schedule. I'd rather have an FBS team - Michigan, Hawaii, BYU or Utah St (By the way, BYU and Utah St. are already playing each other)

I also don't have confidence in Mike Holder in being able to put a deal in place to get a game in place.

Jul 25, 2018
Boulder, CO
I LOVE the idea of opening the season vs. Alabama.

Based on what I've seen, Gundy would see no upside in challenging the team. We already have FCS Western Illinois on the schedule. I'd rather have an FBS team - Michigan, Hawaii, BYU or Utah St (By the way, BYU and Utah St. are already playing each other)

I also don't have confidence in Mike Holder in being able to put a deal in place to get a game in place.

This is a curious statement, given 2 openers vs. Georgia & one each vs. Florida State & Miss. State.

Jul 9, 2011
Yankees Tavern, Carlos Texas
This is Gundys greatest strength and his greatest weakness. Intelligent to take easy wins which boosts team confidence and gets him 10 wins and lofty pay check.
selling his elite team short and not being a high risk high reward coach has left us in the 20-30 rankings forever. Yes it’s nice and we are one of the most consistent programs the last 15 years but it would be nice to have a couple occasional top 10 finishes
We've finished the season ranked 20th or higher 7 of the last 15 seasons and in the top ten 2 seasons. So we've had a "couple of occasional top 10 finishes" and we are more like a top 25 than a 20-30 forever.

Last edited:
Oct 7, 2015
St. Elmo, CO
I'd rather not start off with Alabama, but play them in a playoff should we get that far. Of course, beating them early sets all kinds of expectations that we've not been able to maintain in our history. It's just too much pressure on Gundy teams. We seem to do better flying under the radar early in the season. Bama early is not a great matchup for us.

Of course, I think most fans would rather see us play Michigan than ND State.
I believe a Michigan game would be very interesting and winnable.

But at this point in time, most of us just want to see football being played.
Any live sport being played would be great.