TCU talks w/ Bama about back up game if week 1 PAC-12 opponents cancel

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.
Apr 12, 2020
Stillwater
https://twitter.com/DWStraka49/status/1260253083059224577?s=20

Bama plays USC, neutral site game in Arlington.
TCU plays Cal. If PAC-12 cancels games, the playing each other would replace the lost games.

You know who else has a week 1 PAC-12 opponent? Us vs Oregon State.

Any chance we could get in on this? It’s just talks, so the potential is there for it to be sniped. I would give my right arm to play Bama. 1. It would be so much fun. 2. We’ve got a serious chance and the upside for the program and the season is immeasurable.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Oct 30, 2007
Michigan & BYU are also scheduled to play Pac-12 opponents during week 1. We should be able to find a really good replacement for Oregon State if they aren't allowed to play. It will be interesting to see if Coach Gundy is willing to step up in competition if that happens.

Apr 12, 2020
Stillwater
Michigan & BYU are also scheduled to play Pac-12 opponents during week 1. We should be able to find a really good replacement for Oregon State if they aren't allowed to play. It will be interesting to see if Coach Gundy is willing to step up in competition if that happens.
It’ll be tricky because Bama has access to a neutral site with already having Jerryworld booked.

And honestly if I’m Michigan I’m not sure I’d want to play us. We’re not a big enough draw for neutrals so less money, but they might get blown out. Less money for a likely loss? Pass. I only think Bama would work because there’s no way they’ll be scared off of any match up.

BYU could work. They’d want the match up and it’s probably big enough to work for us. Still no neutral site, but that could be figured out.

Sep 9, 2013
Bama wants TCU because they're close to the stadium. Bus ride. Easy for TCU to do.
I think there are many opportunities out there to pick up games, but with a late start for summer conditioning, my bet is Gundy will not seek out a power 5 opponent, and may just be willing to play 11 games. WVU is reporting June 1, that is more than a month before Oklahoma State can report.

Gundy likely isnt happy with late start for prep, and with the team he has coming back, he isnt going to gamble on a tough opponent out of the box. His qb was hurt much of the season, and coming back against bama or some team where his qb will be running for his life the entire game isnt happening. Last thing he needs is his qb banged up in week 1.

And before you say how good your oline is, OU had a good oline too, and it looked like a revolving door against LSU.

Feb 15, 2017
Texas
Besides Michigan and BYU, the other stranded opponents from PAC-12 late start:
Hawaii
Norther AZ
Utah State
ND State
Co State
Portland State
William & Mary

My money is on William & Mary . . .. .

Sep 9, 2013
Hawaii
Norther AZ
Utah State
ND State
Co State
Portland State
William & Mary

it's highly unlikely the ACC starts the season on time. Syracuse is in ny, bc in mass, not happening. the opponents of acc teams are likely in the mix, and maybe the BIG too. The only conferences id say are 100 percent going to start on time are the sec and big 12.

Oct 30, 2007
Hawaii
Norther AZ
Utah State
ND State
Co State
Portland State
William & Mary

North Dakota State would probably be a decent game. Their QB is projected as a 1st round draft pick in next year's draft. They're probably better than Oregon State despite the fact that they're an FCS program.

I can't really get excited about any of the other teams from that list.

Last edited:
Apr 12, 2020
Stillwater
Bama wants TCU because they're close to the stadium. Bus ride. Easy for TCU to do.
I think there are many opportunities out there to pick up games, but with a late start for summer conditioning, my bet is Gundy will not seek out a power 5 opponent, and may just be willing to play 11 games. WVU is reporting June 1, that is more than a month before Oklahoma State can report.

Gundy likely isnt happy with late start for prep, and with the team he has coming back, he isnt going to gamble on a tough opponent out of the box. His qb was hurt much of the season, and coming back against bama or some team where his qb will be running for his life the entire game isnt happening. Last thing he needs is his qb banged up in week 1.

And before you say how good your oline is, OU had a good oline too, and it looked like a revolving door against LSU.
Pretty sure Bama doesn’t care how close the opponent is to the neutral stadium as long as they’re willing to play there, which we definitely would. It’s definitely about balancing the perception of the match up with the money. You want to pick the worst team you can that still gets tons of neutrals to turn in. We’ll likely start way higher ranked in the preseason polls than TCU, brand-wise we’re pretty similar and would probably bring similar numbers to the table for viewers (unless our higher ranking really drives a larger audience.

As for the rest of your strategy, I think it’s wrong. They’ll be incredibley young at the start of the year while we’re bringing in an experienced squad. That’s the kinda edge you would want. Would be much worse play then once they’ve had 6 games of snaps.

Finally, OU didn’t get its doors blown off by LSU because of the Oline pressure, it’s because they gave up 63 and 49 in the first half. Bama’s defense will likely be better than LSU’s was last year. But that was one of the best offenses of all time. Bama’s got some crazy WRs, it could be another shoot out more than a defensive match up

Feb 15, 2017
Texas
With limited practice time before the opener, I bet Gundy wants no part of a Big time program (Bama or Michigan) and no part of a very capable spoiler (ND State).

In fact, if we are in Gundy's sweet spot of a really talented team that could go undefeated with our current schedule, the LAST thing you want to do is swap out Oregon State for someone that could possible beat you.

Apr 12, 2020
Stillwater
With limited practice time before the opener, I bet Gundy wants no part of a Big time program (Bama or Michigan) and no part of a very capable spoiler (ND State).

In fact, if we are in Gundy's sweet spot of a really talented team that could go undefeated with our current schedule, the LAST thing you want to do is swap out Oregon State for someone that could possible beat you.
Our team would be way more experienced than either of the big teams you mentioned. Wouldn’t that be an advantage for us?

OSU79

Federal Marshal
A/V Subscriber
Oct 22, 2009
Back home in God's (Green) Country
Our team would be way more experienced than either of the big teams you mentioned. Wouldn’t that be an advantage for us?
Yes, but not worth the risk of losing. Beating up on Colorado State or someone similar is a fine way to begin this season. Normally I'd argue like hell we need to play some of the big names, but this season I'd trade that for a New Year's day bowl.

Sep 9, 2013
Jalex, all i can say if you didnt think OU's oline was blown off the ball is rewatch the game.
Im a huge LSU fan, and have always, since i was a kid, hated OU. Not sure why.

Anyway, ive watched that game a few times, zeroing in on that OU center who is supposed to be some great player. He was shoved back at times like he was on skates.

And he didnt do much better the year before against bama's deline.

Oklahoma State should have a very good team, and has a good oline. but it wont hold up against bama or lsu. it just wont. I mean you guys were worn down by OU, a team that was run out of the stadium by an sec west team. The same OU team that was run out of the stadium by a different sec west team the year before. The same OU team that Clemson wiped the floor with.

There a a few very, very loaded teams. Bama is one of them. you dont want to open with them. you will lose, and maybe have your season destroyed. think back to FSU and bama not only murdering them, but putting their starting qb out for the season.

Your skill players are good, but theyd be up against guys who are much bigger, stronger, and faster than players on Big 12 defenses. No friggin way Gundy wants to open this season with bama.

Rack

Legendary Cowboy
Oct 13, 2004
Earth
Jalex, all i can say if you didnt think OU's oline was blown off the ball is rewatch the game.
Im a huge LSU fan, and have always, since i was a kid, hated OU. Not sure why.

Anyway, ive watched that game a few times, zeroing in on that OU center who is supposed to be some great player. He was shoved back at times like he was on skates.

And he didnt do much better the year before against bama's deline.

Oklahoma State should have a very good team, and has a good oline. but it wont hold up against bama or lsu. it just wont. I mean you guys were worn down by OU, a team that was run out of the stadium by an sec west team. The same OU team that was run out of the stadium by a different sec west team the year before. The same OU team that Clemson wiped the floor with.

There a a few very, very loaded teams. Bama is one of them. you dont want to open with them. you will lose, and maybe have your season destroyed. think back to FSU and bama not only murdering them, but putting their starting qb out for the season.

Your skill players are good, but theyd be up against guys who are much bigger, stronger, and faster than players on Big 12 defenses. No friggin way Gundy wants to open this season with bama.
While what you say could be true...you are discounting the fact that two of our three best offensive players and our best defensive player didn't play a down vs ou. I don't recall, but I don't think they played a down vs WVU either. When we lost or top 2 WR about 1/2 way through the season we weren't the same. It was what it was, but it's inaccurate to assume OSU with both a healthy Sanders and Wallace wouldn't stand a very fair chance vs BAmA in 2020 as opposed to the team that played WVU or OU last year.

Oct 30, 2007

I really like the idea of playing Michigan. They're ranked behind us in a lot of preseason polls, and they're breaking in a new quarterback. I think we would beat them. A win in the opening weekend against the Wolverines would likely propel us into the top 10 and make us nationally relevant for the entire year. That exposure could really mean a lot to the program.

Alabama scares me. They're going to be young, but they're always loaded with NFL talent. I'm not sure that Spencer Sanders is ready to face a defense like that.

Apr 14, 2008
Texas
M

I totally agree that history suggests Gundy would reschedule a proverbial bye game opponent.
But that said, I'm not so sure public would give more credit for a close loss to excellent opponent than a win over a nobody. I know, I know...age old debate of good loss vs bad win. Its just my opinion.

Apr 14, 2008
Texas
I really like the idea of playing Michigan. They're ranked behind us in a lot of preseason polls, and they're breaking in a new quarterback. I think we would beat them. A win in the opening weekend against the Wolverines would likely propel us into the top 10 and make us nationally relevant for the entire year. That exposure could really mean a lot to the program.

Alabama scares me. They're going to be young, but they're always loaded with NFL talent. I'm not sure that Spencer Sanders is ready to face a defense like that.
Probably not but MAN I sure would like to see Wallace prove once and for all that he's the best WR1.

OSU79

Federal Marshal
A/V Subscriber
Oct 22, 2009
Back home in God's (Green) Country
M

I totally agree that history suggests Gundy would reschedule a proverbial bye game opponent.
But that said, I'm not so sure public would give more credit for a close loss to excellent opponent than a win over a nobody. I know, I know...age old debate of good loss vs bad win. Its just my opinion.
The odds of us getting in a playoff with a loss are very slim, even if it's to Alabama (also just an opinion, of course!).

Dec 21, 2008

This is Gundys greatest strength and his greatest weakness. Intelligent to take easy wins which boosts team confidence and gets him 10 wins and lofty pay check.
selling his elite team short and not being a high risk high reward coach has left us in the 20-30 rankings forever. Yes it’s nice and we are one of the most consistent programs the last 15 years but it would be nice to have a couple occasional top 10 finishes