Taxes

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.
Dec 9, 2013
that's, "rich"....

you got nothing, you make excuses for using useless 2015 numbers, and then you claim that I am wrong, because you are right.

LOL... ROTFLMAO

Hollywood couldn't write this stuff
Ok I’ll slow this down for you. 2015 data is based on returns filed in 2016. That means the data cannot be compiled until late 2016 or into 2017. So the latest data I could find was on 2016 #’s. Data didn’t change much

Top 10% of income earners ($140k) paid 69.5% of taxes.
Top5% paid 58%.

CaliforniaCowboy

Federal Marshal
Oct 15, 2003
So Cal
Ok I’ll slow this down for you. 2015 data is based on returns filed in 2016. That means the data cannot be compiled until late 2016 or into 2017. So the latest data I could find was on 2016 #’s. Data didn’t change much

Top5% paid 58%.
slowing down bad numbers, still makes them bad numbers. Irrelevant.

I know full well when numbers are released, but I was not the one making wild allegations about how much the "rich" were helped by the tax break.

I simply asked for some evidence before I buy into the wild allegations.

llcoolw

Territorial Marshal
Feb 7, 2005
Sammamish, Washington.Dallas, Texas.Maui, Hawaii

Top5% paid 58%.
That's way too much. And now we claim they aren't paying enough. 10% are paying 69% of all federal taxes. Wow! Just wow!

Jul 20, 2018
Oklahoma City
The avg tax return for those who filed so far this year is down 8.9% across all filers
Which tells us nothing in regard to whether or not people owe more in taxes.

Next year, after people adjust to the new brackets for both tax rate and withholdings will a better picture of the situation be presented. Even then it will still come down to money actually owed in percentage to MAGI.

oks10

Territorial Marshal
Sep 9, 2007
Yukon, OK
The avg tax return for those who filed so far this year is down 8.9% across all filers
So, did people pay the same in taxes and get 8.9% less back? Because that's actually what people should REALLY be asking. I'm guessing that while there may be some people that might have paid more net in taxes, most of the people complaining just have no idea that they had less taxes withheld in 2018 hence a lower return. All the social media rants I've seen are in reference to salary being the same (not take home pay) and getting a smaller return.

Binman4OSU

Legendary Cowboy
Aug 31, 2007
Stupid about AGW!!
While the refund is down...IRS reporting 23.6% of tax filers so far have learned they will actually not receive a refund this year but will actually end up having to pay more due to withhold changes

Jul 20, 2018
Oklahoma City
While the refund is down...IRS reporting 23.6% of tax filers so far have learned they will actually not receive a refund this year but will actually end up having to pay more due to withhold changes
And therein lies the tale. People didn't realize how to address the withholding changes, so more are paying at the end. It has nothing to do with who actually pays more or less overall. In EVERY change to the tax code, some people pay more and some people pay less. I haven't scoped this thread intently, but is there anything posted here determining who actually pays more tax and who actually pays less? This seems like a wait and see situation to me, but then when did that ever stop people from spinning B.S. to score a political point either way.

Jul 20, 2018
And therein lies the tale. People didn't realize how to address the withholding changes, so more are paying at the end. It has nothing to do with who actually pays more or less overall. In EVERY change to the tax code, some people pay more and some people pay less. I haven't scoped this thread intently, but is there anything posted here determining who actually pays more tax and who actually pays less? This seems like a wait and see situation to me, but then when did that ever stop people from spinning B.S. to score a political point either way.
For me, my company increased take home pay last year by $500 per two week paycheck. I owe $2500 on my taxes. This gave me a net increase in income even though I lost some major SALT deductions due to the $10000 cap.

Jul 20, 2018
Oklahoma City
For me, my company increased take home pay last year by $500 per two week paycheck. I owe $2500 on my taxes. This gave me a net increase in income even though I lost some major SALT deductions due to the $10000 cap.
So with the income increase, you'd naturally expect to pay more in taxes. The question is how does this years tax paid to income earned ratio compare to last years?

Jul 20, 2018
So with the income increase, you'd naturally expect to pay more in taxes. The question is how does this years tax paid to income earned ratio compare to last years?
Last year was an unusual year since I had a lot of deductions for Hurricane Harvey. I can, however, say that my tax liability compared to 2016 went down $4000 even though I made a little more money last year.

Binman4OSU

Legendary Cowboy
Aug 31, 2007
Stupid about AGW!!
Come on you've seen the voting public. You think they can actually understand tax code changes? To them they are getting robbed by the Gubment and they won't understanding anything else

oks10

Territorial Marshal
Sep 9, 2007
Yukon, OK
Come on you've seen the voting public. You think they can actually understand tax code changes? To them they are getting robbed by the Gubment and they won't understanding anything else
I SMASHED that "agree" button on this. People think tax returns are some kind of "bonus" from the government that they're supposed to get every year...

Jul 20, 2018
Oklahoma City
Correct.......... The general public does not understand the tax code, hence I said, "People didn't realize how to address the withholding changes, so more are paying at the end".