Taxes

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

Binman4OSU

Legendary Cowboy
Aug 31, 2007
Stupid about AGW!!
Anyone filed yet? Seeing LOTS of complaints about the new taxes and people owing hundreds if not thousands more in taxes or losing 50+% from their refunds compared to past years

oks10

Territorial Marshal
Sep 9, 2007
Yukon, OK
Anyone filed yet? Seeing LOTS of complaints about the new taxes and people owing hundreds if not thousands more in taxes or losing 50+% from their refunds compared to past years
I've only put my W2's into to TurboTax and everything looks normal so far (at least federally). I haven't put any deductions in yet though. I never understand how I consistently get back a few thousand from federal but always end up owing state a couple hundred... lol I hardly ever get money back from state and if I do, it's never enough even cover the e-file cost so I end up having to mail it in. One year I literally got back ONE DOLLAR... They seriously sent my a CHECK for $1. It cost more to prints and mail that check than what that check was worth...

sc5mu93

WeaselMonkey
A/V Subscriber
Oct 18, 2006
Fairfield, CT
I've only gotten to the point of inputting my income into the software and it says I am already getting a refund (both fed and state). No deductions input yet.

Nothing abnormal yet. Probably should change my withholdings. I like to be close to a net of zero.

CaliforniaCowboy

Federal Marshal
Oct 15, 2003
So Cal
my boss filed, and was waaay concerned about how much he was going to have to pay (usually pays about $700/yr)..... said he's getting a $1,700 refund.

very, very happy.

oks10

Territorial Marshal
Sep 9, 2007
Yukon, OK
I've only gotten to the point of inputting my income into the software and it says I am already getting a refund (both fed and state). No deductions input yet.

Nothing abnormal yet. Probably should change my withholdings. I like to be close to a net of zero.
I'm worried if I change my withholdings to bring down my federal return then I'll end up owing even MORE to the state. lol.

NTXPoke

Wrangler
Jul 10, 2009
Stillwater, OK
I did mine. Refund dropped by a bunch, but in looking at the year over year comparison on Turbo Tax, my overall tax rate dropped by about a half percent. The reduction in withholding rates last year about this time is what reduced the refund. I am also in a situation where I maxed out my deductions. Between state tax, mortgage interest and property tax, I exceeded the $10k cap by a lot. That means that my charitable deductions don't count for anything. I wonder if that will end up hurting non-profits.

Jul 7, 2004
How much you owe or are refunded for overpayment when filing taxes doesn't mean you paid more Federal income tax.

Aug 16, 2012
As a business owner who makes monthly estimated payments, taxes are way over my head. Bundled up the proverbial shoebox of receipts, travel logs, etc. and shipped them off to the accountant. Having about a 33% increase in earnings this year, it will be interesting to see how much I will still need to pay. I see people complaining about tax brackets, my base rate starts out at around 35% but she is able to wave her magic wand and get it down in the 20-25% range each year. I have a hard time reading complaints about people whose adjusted income results in a tax around 12%. Small business owners get the shaft.

OkState1974

Deputy
A/V Subscriber
Feb 6, 2007
Tulsa
I'm worried if I change my withholdings to bring down my federal return then I'll end up owing even MORE to the state. lol.
You can actually filed a separate withholding form for state taxes if you want. Almost any payroll system allows that for the very reason you describe. Talk to your HR/payroll department.

CaliforniaCowboy

Federal Marshal
Oct 15, 2003
So Cal
I did mine. Refund dropped by a bunch, but in looking at the year over year comparison on Turbo Tax, my overall tax rate dropped by about a half percent. The reduction in withholding rates last year about this time is what reduced the refund. I am also in a situation where I maxed out my deductions. Between state tax, mortgage interest and property tax, I exceeded the $10k cap by a lot. That means that my charitable deductions don't count for anything. I wonder if that will end up hurting non-profits.
I don't think you can actually max out your deductions...

did you mean to say that your mortgage interest and property tax exceeded the cap, and that your charitable deductions were not enough to get you over the already provided standard deduction of $12,000 single, $24,000 joint?

The standard deduction nearly doubled to $12,000 for individuals and $24,000 for married couples filing jointly.

Capping the state, local and property tax deductions at $10,000 means that you could have more difficulty collecting enough deductions to itemize. And if you no longer reach the threshold to itemize, you won’t be able to deduct your charitable donations.

dorfami

Wrangler
Mar 7, 2005
Then you did yours wrong. The 10K cap applies only to SALT (State and Local Taxes), your charitable giving, mortgage interest, etc is not impacted by the 10K cap. Based on your username it does not appear you live in OK, but if so, we have our own issues with caps.
The overall expectation is that refunds will be down if not people owing as the withholding tables were adjusted. And because people are stupid, they will think their taxes went up because they owe instead of getting a refund, even though their tax burden decreased.

CaliforniaCowboy

Federal Marshal
Oct 15, 2003
So Cal
Then you did yours wrong. The 10K cap applies only to SALT (State and Local Taxes), your charitable giving, mortgage interest, etc is not impacted by the 10K cap. Based on your username it does not appear you live in OK, but if so, we have our own issues with caps.
The overall expectation is that refunds will be down if not people owing as the withholding tables were adjusted. And because people are stupid, they will think their taxes went up because they owe instead of getting a refund, even though their tax burden decreased.
Here's the potentially bad news: The mortgage interest deduction is still an itemized deduction, which means that in order for it to make sense to use, your itemized deductions (including mortgage interest) need to be greater than the standard deduction.

Rack

Federal Marshal
Oct 13, 2004
Earth
Well we had a big year so I paid a bunch in taxes...BUT, I paid most of that on a once in a lifetime bonus and didn't change my withholding so we get a far bigger return than I would have under the old tax laws...like $6K more. So this has been a great year for the Trump tax changes to take effect for us...hope many others are similarly affected. Being that our itemized deductions are still bigger than the new standard deduction also helped us. Could be an issue next year...since we will make less and thus only be able to give accordingly. I would think the new tax laws will help givers and non-givers considering the big jump in the standard deduction and the inclusion of itemized deductions still for those that qualify over the standard.

Last edited:

dorfami

Wrangler
Mar 7, 2005
Here's the potentially bad news: The mortgage interest deduction is still an itemized deduction, which means that in order for it to make sense to use, your itemized deductions (including mortgage interest) need to be greater than the standard deduction.
True, but by saying he hit the cap because of SALT and mortgage interest and that charitable wouldn't count is incorrect. Maybe charitable won't count because he doesn't reach the higher standard deduction so none of it does, but if I can't itemize because of the higher standard deduction, I'm OK with that. I didn't lose anything that I didn't have last year or wasn't going to do this year. I think the impact on non-profits is potentially overstated. I give because I want to give, not for the deduction. If I give solely for the deduction, I'm an idiot. Why pay a dollar to potentially save 39 cents. I'm still 61 cents poorer.
Now the elimination of the miscellaneous itemized deductions, especially the employee business expenses, that will be a killer for some.
SALT limitation is also potentially overstated due to AMT. SALT was one of the biggest drivers of AMT, so yeah, you got the deduction, but they took it away with AMT. Now you just don't get it so they can't take it somewhere else. Much of the tax bill was take away one place, give it back somewhere else.

StillwaterTownie

Federal Marshal
Jun 18, 2010
Where else but Stillwater
https://twitter.com/DennisMJordan/status/1092784259864109057?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw%7Ctwcamp%5Etweetembed%7Ctwterm%5E1092784259864109057&ref_url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.rawstory.com%2F2019%2F02%2Ftrusted-trump-voters-seethe-realizing-theyre-getting-screwed-gops-tax-plan%2F

CaliforniaCowboy

Federal Marshal
Oct 15, 2003
So Cal
https://twitter.com/DennisMJordan/status/1092784259864109057?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw%7Ctwcamp%5Etweetembed%7Ctwterm%5E1092784259864109057&ref_url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.rawstory.com%2F2019%2F02%2Ftrusted-trump-voters-seethe-realizing-theyre-getting-screwed-gops-tax-plan%2F
I don't know who this guy is but he sounds like a complete idiot... (I read through some his exchanges).... he does not seem to be coherent, or at least has no idea what he's talking about.

best I can tell, he's either confused because of the lower withholding amount, or is wondering why his refund is less.

dorfami

Wrangler
Mar 7, 2005
Thus the point of my "and because people are stupid." Don't know the person and maybe his taxes did go up. We will hear a large number of people claim their taxes went up this year because their refund is smaller. People often ask me how to get a bigger refund, the answer is simple, pay more in during the year. I didn't do anything to reduce your taxes, I just created a non-interest, short-term CD that matures when you file your return. People need to look at their actual tax, not their refund. Had my income this year been the same as last, my fed tax would have gone down $1010. And am a "middle-class homeowner and you lowered my taxes. Thank you" Everybody's situation will be different, but as with all things, there are winners and there a losers. My middle-class self is a winner in this. And many of my middle-class clients will also be winners.

dorfami

Wrangler
Mar 7, 2005
I don't know who this guy is but he sounds like a complete idiot... (I read through some his exchanges).... he does not seem to be coherent, or at least has no idea what he's talking about.

best I can tell, he's either confused because of the lower withholding amount, or is wondering why his refund is less.
This is why the IRS encouraged people throughout the year to use the paycheck checkup. https://www.irs.gov/payments/tax-withholding Hey look, it's still there.

Oct 30, 2007
If you read his twitter feed, he's upset that the mortgage interest deduction was lowered to $750K. That means that this "middle class" homeowner is likely a millionaire living in a 7 figure home. Either that, or he figured his taxes wrong. Either way, it's hard to feel sorry for him.

Jul 20, 2018
My withholdings were reduced by $500 per two-week paycheck after the tax cut. So far, I owe $2500 in taxes. $10000 more in my pocket. Pretty good deal.