Tape Doesn't Lie Podcast

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

OSUMIKE17

Property of The Oklahoman and NewsOk.com
A/V Subscriber
Apr 11, 2009
Tulsa
Yes, and it looked like the LB's were selling out to stop the run. The plays that worked were draws, shuttles, etc when we showed pass first and then got the ball to the running back.
Ok, but overall how has their defense done in the Big 12? You’re cherry picking instead of looking at the entire picture.

Dec 21, 2008
We have dozens and dozens of schemes/blitzes. We only show a handful each game. The coaches will strategize and game plan for where they want to attack. The first two games we were down several horses and did not show much. That’s by design. There is plennnty of things we haven’t shown and probably won’t until Texas

Birry

Federal Marshal
Feb 6, 2007
Landlocked
How are we not lined up like they are lined up? This is the very first play of the first video posted above:
View attachment 73027
Three condensed down linemen, three linebackers, five DBs.

Here is the same graphic of the AJ Green pick six play from above:
View attachment 73028

The only difference is one play is backed up to the goal line and in our picture, the slot LB is spread out a bit more due to where the slot receiver is lined up.

You’re using specific plays to try to describe an overall scheme. We aren’t always going to blitz two LBs to one side. We aren’t always going to drop one into coverage. Those specific plays do not define the scheme as a whole.
Two things
1. That "slot LB" is lined up further from the LOS than ISU does in all the examples presented. So far, its been rare for us to pile into the box like that this season. Its more often that we are spread way further out and then drop into coverage.
2. That "slot LB" immediately moved to the flat in that call. He vacated the box. That seems typical so far, where we leave very few people near the LOS, and I'm curious to see if do that consistently or if we bring that guy into the box against different teams.

Aug 22, 2006
SE Oklahoma
3 down linemen force 5 o-line to decide who they need to block before the ball is snapped, if the tackle has to try to block a LB that drops in coverage that is one blocker out of the play. I think it's more about disrupting blocking and creating a numbers advantage. I think ISU has done a good job with their defense and that we will be better than last year with this scheme.

OSUMIKE17

A/V Subscriber
Apr 11, 2009
Tulsa
Two things
1. That "slot LB" is lined up further from the LOS than ISU does in all the examples presented. So far, its been rare for us to pile into the box like that this season. Its more often that we are spread way further out and then drop into coverage.
2. That "slot LB" immediately moved to the flat in that call. He vacated the box. That seems typical so far, where we leave very few people near the LOS, and I'm curious to see if do that consistently or if we bring that guy into the box against different teams.
Again, you’re stating specific plays and responsibilities on those specific plays that ISU may very well mimic when they are put in those same situations depending on what the slot receiver is doing, what coverages/blitzes they are running.

We’ve seen a very limited, vanilla portion of the scheme change.

Birry

Federal Marshal
Feb 6, 2007
Landlocked
Again, you’re stating specific plays and responsibilities on those specific plays that ISU may very well mimic when they are put in those same situations depending on what the slot receiver is doing, what coverages/blitzes they are running.

We’ve seen a very limited, vanilla portion of the scheme change.
What other observations can we make? Of course I'm using specific plays and responsibilities, because that's the data we have so far.... . I'm not going to speculate about future calls against future opponents, or if ISU would do something similar. If/when we see the defense you're describing, then I'll discuss that. But so far, we haven't seen that style across the board.

Hopefully you're right about it being part of our "vanilla" approach so far. As with most discussions........we'll have to wait and see!

OSUMIKE17

A/V Subscriber
Apr 11, 2009
Tulsa
What other observations can we make? Of course I'm using specific plays and responsibilities, because that's the data we have so far.... . I'm not going to speculate about future calls against future opponents, or if ISU would do something similar. If/when we see the defense you're describing, then I'll discuss that. But so far, we haven't seen that style across the board.

Hopefully you're right about it being part of our "vanilla" approach so far. As with most discussions........we'll have to wait and see!
You’re picking specific plays. There were numerous other plays during that game in that scheme in which we didn’t do what you described.

Birry

Federal Marshal
Feb 6, 2007
Landlocked
You’re picking specific plays. There were numerous other plays during that game in that scheme in which we didn’t do what you described.
Ok.......? But there were also numerous plays in which we DID do exactly what I'm describing. And there were numerous plays against Oregon State as well....

I'll watch more closely against Tulsa and see what we do. But right now, it just *seems* like we have very few people in the box on most defensive plays, and that our "blitzes" are often delayed and easily picked up.

jobob85

Alcoholistic Sage
A/V Subscriber
Mar 11, 2009
In the first half the defense gave up 96 yards on 36 plays. In the second half it wasn't the same defense out there. Just looking at the participation chart on the OSU athletic site, there were players out there I had never heard of. So, if we gave up yards and were out of position it was with players lacking game experience.

https://okstate.com/boxscore.aspx?id=9072&path=football

Sep 16, 2004
DFW
I'd recommend Whiskey actually.
You should include the episode description:
Breakdown of Oklahoma State's surprising loss to Texas Tech. What is up with the effort level? Spencer Sanders progression and why keeping him in for the 2nd half was critical.

By the way, if you’re ever in the Frisco area, I’ll buy you a beer... or whisky. Then I’ll share my ideas on improving the show. Increasing production value, don’t go into so much detail, monetizing, etc.;)

DallasOSUCowboys34

Deputy
A/V Subscriber
Sep 24, 2008
Fort Worth, TX
You should include the episode description:
Breakdown of Oklahoma State's surprising loss to Texas Tech. What is up with the effort level? Spencer Sanders progression and why keeping him in for the 2nd half was critical.

By the way, if you’re ever in the Frisco area, I’ll buy you a beer... or whisky. Then I’ll share my ideas on improving the show. Increasing production value, don’t go into so much detail, monetizing, etc.;)
LOL thanks, havent heard those ones yet!!! Ill def take you up on the beer.

Nov 14, 2010
How are we not lined up like they are lined up? This is the very first play of the first video posted above:
View attachment 73027

Here is the same graphic of the AJ Green pick six play from above:
View attachment 73028

The only difference is one play is backed up to the goal line and in our picture, the slot LB is spread out a bit more due to where the slot receiver is lined up.

You’re using specific plays to try to describe an overall scheme. We aren’t always going to blitz two LBs to one side. We aren’t always going to drop one into coverage. Those specific plays do not define the scheme as a whole.
Iowa State is in a 3-4 Cover 6 which means they have 7 box players that are run first dedicated
OSU is in an Odd Stack Cover 4 with 5 1/2 run first dedicated box players

I consider anyone who is run first to be a box player

Big difference in who the 1/2 players are, how vertical threats are defensed, how run plays are defensed and how the play action/RPO's gets replaced etc...

Last edited:

OSUMIKE17

A/V Subscriber
Apr 11, 2009
Tulsa
Iowa State is in a 3-4 Cover 6 which means they have a 7 box players that are run first dedicated
OSU is in an Odd Stack Cover 4 with 5 1/2 run first dedicated box players

I consider anyone who is run first to be a box player

Big difference in who the 1/2 players are, how vertical threats are defensed etc...
Thank you, grand master of copy and paste. Look in the mirror. Wink. Feel good.