Talk me down from my football expectations

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.
Sep 20, 2009
Kansas City
No I think I meant 2013. Whatever year Gilbert dropped/didn't drop the interception. 2014 was a disaster if I remember correctly. I'm used to those and they don't break me. 10 wins is definitely within reach, but that doesn't seem to be the goal everyone wants to attain in 2020. If 10-2 gets us in the conference championship game, that would be a success. Anything less than that is a failure and recent history isn't on our side.

2011 and 2017 are the best comparisons for next years team. 2011 was a huge success, but it was also almost a decade ago. 2017 was a failure, even with 10 wins. We were out of the conference race with a week to go. Lost two games at home we had no business losing. This is the year that's keeping my expectations in check. 2020 defense and o-line look better than 2017 though, so that gives me hope. It kind of all comes down to how Sanders progresses.
Exactly how I feel. I'll be pleasntly surprised if we manage to get to a title game but 2017 broke me. Until Gundy proves otherwise I'm not getting my hopes up again like I did that year.

Oct 25, 2009
Twin Falls, ID
The only way Im gonna be amped up for next year is if we've had a gunslinger qb announce that he is transferring here or we had one waiting in the wings...Costello?

Hate to say this, but nothing Ive seen of Spencer Sanders play leads me to believe we have a qb that can get the job done, much less stay healthy for the season.

Rack

Legendary Cowboy
Oct 13, 2004
Earth
Over the decade of NFL drafts that completed this past weekend, 516 players wearing SEC patches heard their names called, followed by the ACC’s 358, the Big Ten’s 343, the Pac-12’s 319 and, lastly, the Big 12’s 236.
While you make a point...it's also 14 teams vs 10 teams so that skews it a bit. Certainly, you have a point as It's still a disadvantage because of the talent in the top SEC schools is crazy deep as well.

Cro

we need some celery and a can of fake snow
A/V Subscriber
Apr 6, 2010
Edmond
The only way Im gonna be amped up for next year is if we've had a gunslinger qb announce that he is transferring here or we had one waiting in the wings...Costello?

Hate to say this, but nothing Ive seen of Spencer Sanders play leads me to believe we have a qb that can get the job done, much less stay healthy for the season.
nothing you've seen says he can stay healthy for a season? that's got to be one of the dumbest things i've ever read on here. is that your gripe about TW as well? you would just rather TW have gone pro b/c nothing you've seen says he can stay healthy?

Chairman of the Board

Federal Marshal
A/V Subscriber
Mar 17, 2006
Edmond, Ok
Some good points--mainly about Gundy--but I still will be excited. National people think so, too:

ESPN Way Too Early Top 25:

OU 8
OSU 13
ISU 16
BU 20
UT 24

USA Today:

OU 5
UT 14
ISU 21
BU 22
OSU 27

Sporting News:

OU 7
UT 13
OSU 17

w0lfe

Wrangler
Aug 23, 2010
Until someone actually dethrones ou, than there is no reason to pick anyone else.. They had their rebuilding season this year and still won the league. There's no reason for OSU to not finish top 2 in the league, anything under that is a letdown. Texas will be Texas, Baylor will go back to sucking, WVU is middle class, ISU loses games they shouldn't... This conference is bush league outside 1 to 3 teams per season.

Jul 25, 2018
Boulder, CO
Until someone actually dethrones ou, than there is no reason to pick anyone else.. They had their rebuilding season this year and still won the league. There's no reason for OSU to not finish top 2 in the league, anything under that is a letdown. Texas will be Texas, Baylor will go back to sucking, WVU is middle class, ISU loses games they shouldn't... This conference is bush league outside 1 to 3 teams per season.

Meh, bush league may be a little strong, but I agree somewhat.

Having said that, you could make the same statement about all but 2 conferences.

Nov 6, 2010
I'd like to see us pull in one more high quality grad transfer, probably at corner, but you can also always use quality on the DL. If Clay gets a waiver, I don't see us having much room on the DL for a grad though. With Chuba coming back, I just don't see much benefit in adding a grad transfer RB either. Maybe a WR on offense, but we seem pretty well set there too. I'd hate to think we need an OL transfer with all the scholarships we've used at that position over the last few years, plus the WV addition, but maybe an elite LT?? What do you guys think, if you could pick an elite grad transfer to top off next year's team, what position would it be?

Feb 18, 2009
Meh, you're overstating it a bit. It was only last year that Texas beat GA, and OU went up to Ohio State and beat them handily the year before. What we saw this year was a team full of athletes with elite QB play. I wasn't overly impressed with the tackling, as I saw DB's getting run over by WR's all night. There were no elite QB's in our conference this year. Hurts was the closest and he is one dimensional, thus the reason he had to transfer to play.
Even using just the last two years as the sample is not good. Can't overstate simple outcomes.

2019 - Lost to LSU by 35
2018 - Lost to Bama in a game that wasn't nearly as close as their fans like to say it was (45-34)
2017 - Lost to UGA by 6
2016 - Lost to Ohio State in Norman by 21 (ou won "handily" in Columbus per your post by a mere15 in 2017)
2015 - Lost to Clemson by 20 (37-17)
2014 - Lost to Clemson by 34 (40-6)

That's 6 straight years of losing to the best teams in the country and 5 weren't even close. That the best our conference has to offer and they routinely steamroll the Big XII.

Nov 6, 2010
Even using just the last two years as the sample is not good. Can't overstate simple outcomes.

2019 - Lost to LSU by 35
2018 - Lost to Bama in a game that wasn't nearly as close as their fans like to say it was (45-34)
2017 - Lost to UGA by 6
2016 - Lost to Ohio State in Norman by 21 (ou won "handily" in Columbus per your post by a mere15 in 2017)
2015 - Lost to Clemson by 20 (37-17)
2014 - Lost to Clemson by 34 (40-6)

That's 6 straight years of losing to the best teams in the country and 5 weren't even close. That the best our conference has to offer and they routinely steamroll the Big XII.
Look, I'm not saying the talent disparity isn't there, I'm just saying it isn't as dramatic. Think of it this way, let OU and LSU trade QB's. What do you think the outcome would be if LSU had Hurts and OU had Burrow? I bet that boat race would have turned into a nail biter. Clearly the SEC has the best talent, the NFL draft shows that, particularly on defense. But I think that's as far as it goes. Just look at Clemson, defending national champ. When their MLB got kicked out for targeting, they had no replacement, and I can bet they have at least 5 4* or higher LB recruits on their roster.

Jun 4, 2014
Dallas, TX
To avoid the doom and gloom moniker...I believe we have a shot at competing for the conference. We just need to actually have a dynamic offense next year that won’t be simple to prepare for. Chuba coming back and sanders growing are two huge factors in making that a possibility.

Very interested to see if knowles continues the 3-3-5 defense. Getting Bundage back will be very impactful as well. Haven’t seen that mentioned yet.

I just understand that we do not belong on the field with the upper echelon of teams right now. I hope we get there, but it’s just not a realistic possibility right now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jul 9, 2016
Stillwater, OK
I’ll talk you down. 2013 and 2017 say hi.

Let’s start with 2013. Pre season ranked #13. Debut of OCMY and DCGS. 2nd favorite for the Big 12 (behind OU of course). Took care of business with our Non Conference schedule with a dominate showing against Mississippi State at a neutral site. First Big 12 conference game against West Virginia guess what? We lost. Worst game I’ve seen in the last decade (along with 2011 ISU, 2014 TCU, 2015 BU, 2017 KSTATE, 2018 TCU, 2019 TA&M). Despite a dominate win against BU and with the Big 12 title in our reach, we still lose to OU. Interception or not, Defense didn’t have it in them to hold off OU for 1minute.

2017. Oh boy. The infamous “Oklahoma State in the Playoff?” Sport illustrated cover. I must admit, when I saw that I was actually pretty hyped for the team. OU was still the conference favorite but we also got some good first place for the conference as well. 4th year for OCMY and DCGS. DOMINATE showing against our non conference schedule, particularly against @Pittsburgh. Time for the big 12 play. Ranked #9 in the nation. TCU has been a stepping stool for us the last couple of meetings. Should be an easy one. NOPE, we lost. I don’t care what anyway says. The trick play OCMY came up with was BRILLIANT, our receiver was WIDE OPEN (McClesky to Ateman trick play). Unfortunately, McClesky overthrows a 6’4 Atemen which causes an interception. Also, not to hate on the kid, but I’m pretty sure McClesky was the reason of a dropped punt resulting to a TCU touchdown. Bedlam ‘17 could’ve went either way. It was a good game. Can’t say much except Rudolph just doesn’t have it in him to beat Mayfield (even beyond CFB). Either way, I still believe he played pretty well. BUT, 2017 Kstate game. Just terrible man. Defense came through and literally gave us the game. Defense allowed the offense to have about 2 and half minutes to march down the field and win again. Rudolph (not to sound like I hate the guy, just being real) couldn’t get it done.

2020. First and foremost. Gundy HAS to get the team ready for the FIRST Big 12 game. I’m not sure why it’s impossible for him to get the players ready. Idk if it even is Gundy fault. Maybe the players are way too big headed when conference play comes in. I’m not sure. If we win the first Big 12 game, best believe we’ll be in the Championship game as well, I guaranteed it.

Aug 31, 2004
Austin, TX

Shane Illingworth’s coming in for the spring. I’m looking forward to seeing what he can do.

Well

Is this really just a dream?
A/V Subscriber
Dec 17, 2009
Shane Illingworth’s coming in for the spring. I’m looking forward to seeing what he can do.
Thinking the same thing. This kid is supposed to have a rocket for an arm. I'm looking forward to this too.

Apr 18, 2009
NW OKC
[QUOTE="Coolfogg, post: 4022491, member: 115
Obviously, RA was drunk or on MD_M, last night. Hard to address this tweet, so I can not.
We have a chance to be good, as many have said, and drop that one game that we should not. I'm sue ISU fans would say, this year, that was OSU. Anyway, I'll have my tickets again on the 45 yard line and show every home game. Might look to one away game, we did the other osu last year. I wish us the best as always.