Talk me down from my football expectations

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.
Jul 9, 2011
Yankees Tavern, Carlos Texas
2017. If that doesn’t talk you down, I envy your positivity. 2013 and 2017 beat the optimism out of me.
2013 was a 10 win season, you meant 2014. To dispel your pessimism I give you 2010, 2011, 2013, 2015, 2016 and 2017. We won 10 or more games each of those years and a total of 53 wins over 5 seasons. Over that span we have one of the better total winning percentages in all D1 even with the "down" years. The past 10 years of football has been a great time to be a Cowboy! I am very optimistic.

Feb 18, 2009
Athletes on the field tonight would whoop our asses to 2021. Chuba and Tylan would be the only ones who might see the field tonight.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
That goes for the entire conference. We are all A LONG ways off from being relevant. Including the team to the south whether they like it or not.

Clemson, Ohio State, LSU, UGA, Bama are all bigger, stronger, faster, and more physical than any Big XII team. And it’s not even close. They also tackle like they know that’s the point of the game.

It was only a matter of time before someone figured out how to use those SEC athletes in an offensive system like we’re used to. Now an arms race is going to begin and the gap will get bigger.

Oct 27, 2003
McKinney, TX
Visit site
If I wanted to be realistic I would say we were 8-5last year with basically the same cast of characters. But that’s no fun. We will undefeated in the offseason.

Jul 25, 2018
Boulder, CO
That goes for the entire conference. We are all A LONG ways off from being relevant. Including the team to the south whether they like it or not.

Clemson, Ohio State, LSU, UGA, Bama are all bigger, stronger, faster, and more physical than any Big XII team. And it’s not even close. They also tackle like they know that’s the point of the game.

It was only a matter of time before someone figured out how to use those SEC athletes in an offensive system like we’re used to. Now an arms race is going to begin and the gap will get bigger.
Completely agree.

It's pretty staggering when you look at what's happened to the Big 12 & SEC over the last 20 years. Hard to believe, but there were weeks when 5 Big 12 South teams were ranked, alone, & 4 in the top 10.

The Big 12 has become a league where offensive skill position players can rack up amazing stats & move on to the NFL. The lack of defensive talent being drafted from the Big 12 & then making it in the NFL says everything you need to know.

Nov 6, 2010

Meh, you're overstating it a bit. It was only last year that Texas beat GA, and OU went up to Ohio State and beat them handily the year before. What we saw this year was a team full of athletes with elite QB play. I wasn't overly impressed with the tackling, as I saw DB's getting run over by WR's all night. There were no elite QB's in our conference this year. Hurts was the closest and he is one dimensional, thus the reason he had to transfer to play.

Jul 25, 2018
Boulder, CO
Over the decade of NFL drafts that completed this past weekend, 516 players wearing SEC patches heard their names called, followed by the ACC’s 358, the Big Ten’s 343, the Pac-12’s 319 and, lastly, the Big 12’s 236.

Oct 16, 2003
Edmond, OK
While I haven't read every post in this thread.....

This is the kind of year that could get Gundy fired.

We finished 3rd (tied) in the Big-12 last season. We have the best skill players returning in the league. We have a defense that was showing signs of greatness at the end of the season. We have as much talent returning as anybody in the Conference.

Honestly, if we don't get to the 2020 Big-12 Championship it won't be because of our roster. It will be because of our coaching. And for the first time in many years, there will be pressure on Gundy to deliver. If he doesn't, it could be time to make a change.

Oct 27, 2003
McKinney, TX
Visit site
While I haven't read every post in this thread.....

This is the kind of year that could get Gundy fired.

We finished 3rd (tied) in the Big-12 last season. We have the best skill players returning in the league. We have a defense that was showing signs of greatness at the end of the season. We have as much talent returning as anybody in the Conference.

Honestly, if we don't get to the 2020 Big-12 Championship it won't be because of our roster. It will be because of our coaching. And for the first time in many years, there will be pressure on Gundy to deliver. If he doesn't, it could be time to make a change.
We will be picked 4th in the Big 12 preseason poll. OU and ISU are already being placed in next years Top 25. Texas will Ehlinger coming back will also be picked ahead of us.

Jun 4, 2014
Dallas, TX

I think the athletes are there in Texas and we have access to them. What we don't have is an emphasis on doing the fundamental things of the game like tackling. I know player safety is a big deal, but the fact that we barely tackle in practice and we constantly miss tackles in space have to correlate. A rolling donut does not move or react like a real person trying their hardest to blow you up or make you miss.

We constantly take bad angles or fail to breakdown tackles as we go to make them.

Oct 22, 2008
Austin, Tx
2013 was a 10 win season, you meant 2014. To dispel your pessimism I give you 2010, 2011, 2013, 2015, 2016 and 2017. We won 10 or more games each of those years and a total of 53 wins over 5 seasons. Over that span we have one of the better total winning percentages in all D1 even with the "down" years. The past 10 years of football has been a great time to be a Cowboy! I am very optimistic.
No I think I meant 2013. Whatever year Gilbert dropped/didn't drop the interception. 2014 was a disaster if I remember correctly. I'm used to those and they don't break me. 10 wins is definitely within reach, but that doesn't seem to be the goal everyone wants to attain in 2020. If 10-2 gets us in the conference championship game, that would be a success. Anything less than that is a failure and recent history isn't on our side.

2011 and 2017 are the best comparisons for next years team. 2011 was a huge success, but it was also almost a decade ago. 2017 was a failure, even with 10 wins. We were out of the conference race with a week to go. Lost two games at home we had no business losing. This is the year that's keeping my expectations in check. 2020 defense and o-line look better than 2017 though, so that gives me hope. It kind of all comes down to how Sanders progresses.

Oct 21, 2004
You guys watcthing Gundy on espnu? Pretty revealing stuff. Pretty much told coach Patterson that we don't waste time with kickoff returns in practice .
The context of what Gundy said was that if your kicker can kick the ball out of the end zone every time you don't spend a lot of time practicing kick off returns in bowl game practices, that you make use of that time working on other things. Patterson agreed. One of them added that it was especially true for a domed stadium with no wind.

Feb 15, 2017
Texas
We will be picked 4th in the Big 12 preseason poll. OU and ISU are already being placed in next years Top 25. Texas will Ehlinger coming back will also be picked ahead of us.

The only one I've seen from ESPN has us #17, one spot behind Texas and 7 spots below 0U.

No ISU