Taking stock: 2019 season so far

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.
Aug 31, 2004
Austin, TX
The problems I see is Sanders is see doesn't go through any progressions. He zones in on one receiver and Jos eyes never leave that guy. Partially could be he knows that's the only one he has time to look st before he gets sacked.
Then they need to to give him fewer progressions to go through. Give him a variety of short, high percentage throws like L. Riley does with Hurts. How many times have we seen Hurts throw a quick, five yard pass that ends up going for a significant gain or to the house. We've got guys all over the field who can make plays. BTW, nice use of J. Woods this season. I think they've thrown his way three times. The guy should be a matchup nightmare for most defenses, but instead, he's MIA.

kaboy42

Territorial Marshal
May 2, 2007
BTW, nice use of J. Woods this season. I think they've thrown his way three times. The guy should be a matchup nightmare for most defenses, but instead, he's MIA.
This one completely bumfuzzles me. I get that he does, on rare occasion, drop a ball... but that doesn't explain why we haven't targeted him pretty much at all. I cannot recall a seam type route thrown this year... and if I could, more than likely it was thrown to Wolf or Stoner. Anyways, before the season even started, I foolishly expected us to target Woods more this year. Damn kid is a beast and just flat ran over people last year every time he touched the ball. Not sure why he's nonexistent this year... but it's sad.

Sep 21, 2019
Fargo
This one completely bumfuzzles me. I get that he does, on rare occasion, drop a ball... but that doesn't explain why we haven't targeted him pretty much at all. I cannot recall a seam type route thrown this year... and if I could, more than likely it was thrown to Wolf or Stoner. Anyways, before the season even started, I foolishly expected us to target Woods more this year. Damn kid is a beast and just flat ran over people last year every time he touched the ball. Not sure why he's nonexistent this year... but it's sad.
Gundy needs to watch tape on how Riley calls offense. How he puts his quarterback in situations to be sucessful.
I agree with the woods thing. No clue why we don't use him. Look what Jarwin has done since being in Dallas. We didn't use him near enough either.

Nov 6, 2010
He was targeted on one of Sanders' worst interceptions last week. Looked like a wheel route up the sideline, and his man stayed with him step for step. The pass was ultimately intercepted by another defender dropping into zone coverage, but if he hadn't picked it, the other one would have. It does seem like we're over-complicating his routes though. I"d think a basic seam route a couple times a game to keep the LB's honest would be pretty easy to execute.

kaboy42

Territorial Marshal
May 2, 2007
He was targeted on one of Sanders' worst interceptions last week. Looked like a wheel route up the sideline, and his man stayed with him step for step. The pass was ultimately intercepted by another defender dropping into zone coverage, but if he hadn't picked it, the other one would have. It does seem like we're over-complicating his routes though. I"d think a basic seam route a couple times a game to keep the LB's honest would be pretty easy to execute.
You're right. I remember that play. :facepalm:

Oct 7, 2015
St. Elmo, CO
I blame Gundy. These kids are really good. Spencer could’ve had 4 extra games of experience last year. He didn’t get one. Conventional common sense says pull a QB after 3rd turnover as more are likely which does nothing for confidence. Why even have a backup QB in his system? He will just play the injured one anyway. At least try something, anything. Put both out there on same play, at least try to confound our opponents in preparing for our schemes. Why is everyone ready for a break out performance against us? Or better yet, why are we woefully unprepared for backup quarterbacks, while simultaneously never using our own?
Yes. Why can't we have Brown and Sanders in at the same time. Brown can throw. Sanders can run and throw. Brown could use Sanders as a decoy and counter to the weak side, too. So many things could be done to keep teams guessing, but Gundy is going to limit those types of plays. WHY?!

I've got the really bad feeling that Gundy is not allowing Gleeson to use his creativity. Whomever is calling plays, they've gone dull and predictable.

wrenhal

Territorial Marshal
Aug 11, 2011
But good thing is, we are like 5-0 in recent years when we have a rest advantage coming into a game. Only lost like 2 of those games in the last decade.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

PontiacPoke717

Sheriff
A/V Subscriber
Nov 24, 2014
Lavon, TX
Take away perhaps even 2 of the 5 TO's against Tech, we win... Stop banging your head against a wall in the red zone against Texas, or take the two FGs, we likely win.

Stupid mistakes and vanilla play calling have cost us the 6-0 record to this point. Spencer is learning each week, he'll only get better. Everyone stay calm and enjoy the ride.

DL is young, they'll get better each week. LBs haven't been bad.

llcoolw

Territorial Marshal
Feb 7, 2005
Sammamish, Washington.Dallas, Texas.Maui, Hawaii
Take away perhaps even 2 of the 5 TO's against Tech, we win... Stop banging your head against a wall in the red zone against Texas, or take the two FGs, we likely win.

Stupid mistakes and vanilla play calling have cost us the 6-0 record to this point. Spencer is learning each week, he'll only get better. Everyone stay calm and enjoy the ride.

DL is young, they'll get better each week. LBs haven't been bad.
The kids are getting better. That’s not the problem. Complacency is the issue. I can’t really blame Mike that much. 15 years of doing the same thing, even if you love it, can get pretty tiresome. If it’s really his Yankees job, you’d think he’d take these losses a little more serious.

Sep 21, 2019
Fargo
Hope of hope. I’ve cleared my calendar and got a bag of sore throat meds. I plan on being there screaming a bit.
You can't blame him? I suppose you thinks it's ok also. That's a hideous statement. I'm being here 15years is now boring to him then take the Tennessee job this time instead of just trying to get more money.
In the real world if you stop doing your job or become "complaisant " then you get your a** fired. For the kind of money OSU is paying a head coach we need someone that has some grit and fire about himself. Kind of like Gundy used to have.

Jul 25, 2018
Boulder, CO
You can't blame him? I suppose you thinks it's ok also. That's a hideous statement. I'm being here 15years is now boring to him then take the Tennessee job this time instead of just trying to get more money.
In the real world if you stop doing your job or become "complaisant " then you get your a** fired. For the kind of money OSU is paying a head coach we need someone that has some grit and fire about himself. Kind of like Gundy used to have.
Thank you. Needed a good laugh.

llcoolw

Territorial Marshal
Feb 7, 2005
Sammamish, Washington.Dallas, Texas.Maui, Hawaii
He’s the reason I’m frustrated. I’ve come to have certain expectations and it’s because of him. He showed us what he is capable of and has more talent, better facilities and more backing than ever before.

Have you worked the same work for 15 years straight? I could see myself slacking even in my Yankees job. Even the great Stoops started lacking.

We need a kick in the pants and I wish it weren’t on the players. Just the coach. Someone needs to remind him he has a chance at immortality. But it’s starting to pass him by if doesn’t wake up and use some of the past painful lessons.