Tackling?

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.
Jun 29, 2004
La Jolla, California
I didn't see the second half, but the first half, there seemed to be a lot of poor tackling by our defense. Lots of throwing an arm out. Seems like the OL is getting bashed pretty good, which was the other glaring issue I noticed watching the first half out here in Cali.

Jostate

CPTNQUIRK called me a greenhorn
A/V Subscriber
Jun 24, 2005
Tackling looked better to me with the exception of 1 of USA's TDs. We held them to an average of less than 1 point per possession.

I was disappointed in our O line. Even if USA did stack the box we have to do better.

Feb 18, 2009
Re tackling:

When you don't practice it, you're not going to magically do it in games. I get the concept of limiting contact and injuries in practice, not arguing it. But the old adage "you play like you practice" is real.

Oline got pushed around by USA more than they should have. Way too soft even against a stacked box.

pokes16

Territorial Marshal
Oct 16, 2003
Tulsa
Last year USA did the same thing to us rushing the football. Limited us severely and we lost our collective minds last year too fretting about the O-line.

Apr 14, 2018
Owasso
Re tackling:

When you don't practice it, you're not going to magically do it in games. I get the concept of limiting contact and injuries in practice, not arguing it. But the old adage "you play like you practice" is real.

Oline got pushed around by USA more than they should have. Way too soft even against a stacked box.
It's just like knights from the middle ages. When they weren't in actual battles they knocked the crap out of each other and sometimes killed each other in competitions. Probably went a little far killing each other, but it was good practice for the real deal.

Rack

Federal Marshal
Oct 13, 2004
Earth
Once again, let's question this staff...you know, the one that has won more games annually in it's tenure than any other in our history. :rolleyes:

Btw, if you only watched the first half you missed the shut out we put on them in the second half and some major hits by our defense. Bundage and Rodriguez are special!

pokes16

Territorial Marshal
Oct 16, 2003
Tulsa
All you had to do was watch their WRs over the middle. Alligator arms and heads a a swivel. They were not liking going there at all.

Jun 29, 2004
La Jolla, California
Once again, let's question this staff...you know, the one that has won more games annually in it's tenure than any other in our history. :rolleyes:

Btw, if you only watched the first half you missed the shut out we put on them in the second half and some major hits by our defense. Bundage and Rodriguez are special!
Dude! Chill! I'm happy with the win and the score, trust me coaches have much more they probably feel needs to be corrected, the tackling just reminded me of years gone by where players would just stick their arm out and hope the ball carrier would magically fall down. It was my wife's bday and she didn't want to sit around and watch college football, so I missed the second half, that is why my post mentioned that piece, maybe I missed halftime adjustments.

Pokes28

Staff
A/V Subscriber
Oct 26, 2003
Carl Junction, MO
facebook.com
The adjustments actually started before the end of the first half. Knowles is a heck of a coach and doesn't wait until halftime to try and make adjustments. Early in the game the option pulled our linebackers out of position and that opened us up against WR screens. Once the adjustments were made, the option stopped working and the screens went from 7-8 yards a pop down to 2-3. This defense will give up some big plays. It will happen when the corners are left on an island.

The things I'm most worried about isn't the tackling (though it does need to improve), it is the mental lapses. There isn't a reason for some of the dumb stuff that was going on.

The SEC officiating crew really didn't call a good game. I understand the targeting rule, however the booth needs to also keep an eye out for offensive players also throwing their head in there. On the 2nd half ejection, both players should have been ruled out as both led with their helmet.

Feb 5, 2007
Yet somehow we managed to hold them to 3 of 19 on 3rd and 4th down attempts. Strange.
Yeah.... we physically dominated an inferior opponent. Rewatch the game. I remember Mwaniki x2, McGruder, Phillips and maybe more, missing tackles that would have been big plays just off the top of my head. And I was drinking during the game.

Tackling was bad. That's not taking a shot at the team or saying we cant be better. But the proof is in the pudding. We didn't tackle well against South Alabama.

Feb 5, 2007
I'm not trying to be a smart *** but I really don't know how you physically dominate someone, hold them to 13 points while tackling bad.
They couldn't block our D-line and Bundage. It's the guys behind them who missed tackles. Not gonna argue, just rewatch the game.