T. Boone has passed.

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.
Nov 8, 2007
Bartlesville
http://tboonepickensfoundation.org/
We've all seen what he's done here for athletics & academics, but he's given so much more than that. His foundations has given to more than 100 organizations in many different areas. His total lifetime charitable giving was over $1 billion. He helped a lot of people in his lifetime.
Jerry Jones yesterday said he has never seen someone so rich be so aggressive about giving away their money.

Boone has a bit of a sour legacy in Bartlesville because of Phillips, but Jerry is right. For someone known as a cutthroat corporate raider, he was very generous with his earnings.

RIP Boone!

Feb 25, 2008
To add a little humor.....

https://www.whatthefussnews.com/pos...hqtL9UmOvZJyQQ3ooEdLggSKWuhQsgboYEkvRPVqNYKvE

Surprisingly, amongst other specifics in his Will, he peculiarly left $30 to head football coach Mike Gundy to “get a god damned haircut”.

“I’ve begged him for years to cut that god forsaken mullet off, maybe now as my dying wish he’ll take it more seriously,” said Pickens in his will.​
“Gosh I’m honored that Mr. Pickens would name me in his will, but gawdangit my mullet helps too damn much in ‘cruitin”, said Gundy.

From the "about" page of the above link
"Years ago it was made clear to all of us at What The Fuss that sometimes the media + the entire sports entity as a whole can get a little too serious. That's why we're here to bring you the stories that never happened, or at least "bending" the truth from the real ones a tad, or a lot.. "

Jan 21, 2006
Boulder
Jerry Jones yesterday said he has never seen someone so rich be so aggressive about giving away their money.

Boone has a bit of a sour legacy in Bartlesville because of Phillips, but Jerry is right. For someone known as a cutthroat corporate raider, he was very generous with his earnings.

RIP Boone!
I was a Bartlesville kid and don't hve any animosity toward Boone. Phillips ran B'ville under an authoritarian aura of fear and meanwhile was horribly managed. His raid produced enormous returns for the shareholders and if Boone hadn't done it someone else would have. The Phillips executive board was tone deaf.

O-St8

Orange is power.
A/V Subscriber
Jan 13, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
The number of lives he's impacted through his giving is tough to calculate and that number will continue to grow. Long after he's a household name his impact will live on. I'm taught that it's not about how much you make but how you use what you do earn that matters. I think Mr. Pickens understood that.

#1 Pokes Fan

Territorial Marshal
Mar 27, 2012
Wishing I was in Stillwater
The Cowboys will begin wearing it Saturday at Tulsa.

The Oklahoma State football team will wear a helmet logo for the remainder of the 2019 season to honor the late T. Boone Pickens.

Pickens, an alumnus and mega-booster, who contributed more than $650 million to OSU’s academic and athletic programs, died Wednesday. He was 91.

The decal is a black rectangle with “BOONE” in orange lettering across it. The placement of the decal on OSU’s helmets is unknown.

There’s also no word yet on whether the logo will be worn by other OSU teams.

http://www.orangepower.com/threads/...helmet-decal-to-honor-t-boone-pickens.261623/

If the university would market and sell these stickers, Boone would indirectly be donating more money. They would sell especially well on the 28th against Kansas State. I would buy some for my vehicles. If anybody has any ties to the university marketing department to see if this is possible, please do.

46POKES

Greenhorn
Nov 28, 2008
It's hard to imagine where our athletic department would be without him. The transformation is incredible.

At least they had lights in that top photo. When I was a student there, the light poles hadn't been installed yet.

But, i do agree. The transformation T. Boone brought to us is absolutely incredible. Can't thank you enough Mr. Pickens. We will miss you. R.I.P.

Sent from my LML212VL using Tapatalk

jetman

Federal Marshal
Nov 27, 2004
Edmond Oklahoma
It's hard to imagine where our athletic department would be without him. The transformation is incredible.
That's what the stadium looked like when I was in school in the early-mid 90's. Only good thing about that was the stadium was always open. We used to ride our mountain bikes in there late at night up and down the ramps into the stands and down onto the field. That astro-turf was all cushiony like walking on a memory foam topper. I also used to go in there sometimes and run stairs. Hell of a lower body workout.

Rack

Federal Marshal
Oct 13, 2004
Earth
At least they had lights in that top photo. When I was a student there, the light poles hadn't been installed yet.

But, i do agree. The transformation T. Boone brought to us is absolutely incredible. Can't thank you enough Mr. Pickens. We will miss you. R.I.P.

Sent from my LML212VL using Tapatalk
I don't know for sure, but it's a good bet Boone had something to do with the donation for the lights in 1985 as well.

CPTNQUIRK

I'm Your Captain!
A/V Subscriber
Nov 20, 2006
In the Boondocks in Creek County, Oklahoma
Boone graduated from OSU in 1951. I was born in 1951. I graduated from OSU in 1984. Boone was the commencement speaker. He was in the oil business. I am in the oil business. He was from Holdenville, just 63 miles from Drumright where I was born, both small towns. I have felt a connection to him for a long time.

An old friend of mine who is now gone and was a lot older than me was an electrical engineering student at OSU in the late ‘40s. He saw that someone had written TBP on the sidewalks and iron of Lewis Stadium. He wondered what it meant. One of his fellow students said that it was a guy named Pickens who wanted to make sure that he was remembered at OSU. I would say that he was successful.

R.I.P. Boone. OSU now has a friend in high places.

Edit: one more connection. I just found out that his Celebration of Life will be held on my birthday.

Last edited:
Feb 8, 2008
Bentonville, AR
Very sad to hear. Not to sound like an insensitive heel, but at one time there were rumors of a significant donation after he passes away. Are there any truth to those rumors?

CPTNQUIRK

I'm Your Captain!
A/V Subscriber
Nov 20, 2006
In the Boondocks in Creek County, Oklahoma
Very sad to hear. Not to sound like an insensitive heel, but at one time there were rumors of a significant donation after he passes away. Are there any truth to those rumors?
Be patient. His estate was “only” $500 million when he passed. Be thankful for what he has given even if there is nothing else. He gave far more than his share.

Nov 20, 2007
Yes, I believe through an insurance policy. Somewhere between $10M and $99M. They said it was in the 8 figure range.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk