SUSAN COLLINS TELLS LEFT-WING ACTIVISTS TO STOP BRIBING HER OVER KAVANAUGH VOTE

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.
Jul 7, 2004
SUSAN COLLINS TELLS LEFT-WING ACTIVISTS TO STOP BRIBING HER OVER KAVANAUGH VOTE
4:23 PM 09/11/2018
Molly Prince | Politics Reporter
Republican Sen. Susan Collins of Maine fired back at progressive activists on Monday who have been raising money to oust the senator in the event she votes affirmatively to confirm Supreme Court nominee Brett Kavanaugh.
“I consider this quid pro quo fundraising to be the equivalent of an attempt to bribe me to vote against Judge Kavanaugh,” Collins told Newsmax. “If I vote against him, the money is refunded to the donors. If I vote for him, the money is given to my opponent for the 2020 race.”
Collins was referring to the joint effort by Maine People’s Alliance and Mainers for Accountable Leadership to crowdfund in an attempt to compel the senator to vote against Kavanaugh. The campaign, called “Either Sen. Collins VOTES NO on Kavanaugh OR we fund her future opponent,” has currently raised over $1.0 million, with a goal of $1.3 million.(RELATED: Lindsey Graham Tells Dems: ‘If You Want To Pick Judges … Win An Election’)
The money will be disbursed and used to defeat her when she is up for re-election in the event that she votes to confirm Kavanaugh, according to the crowdfunding page. If she votes to oppose the confirmation, the money will be returned to the donors.

The campaign has been pushed by left-wing activists across the country, including anti-gun activist David Hogg, reported The Washington Times.
“This effort will not influence my vote at all,” Collins continued. “I think it demonstrates the new lows to which the judge’s opponents have stooped.”

RxCowboy

Has no Rx for his orange obsession.
A/V Subscriber
Nov 8, 2004
Wishing I was in Stillwater
That isn't a bribe, it's blackmail. From WSJ editorial page:

You Can’t Bribe Susan Collins
A crowdfunding campaign threatens the Senator on Kavanaugh.

By The Editorial Board
Sept. 11, 2018 7:11 p.m. ET

Sen. Susan Collins, R-Maine, speaks with Supreme Court nominee Judge Brett Kavanaugh at her office, before a private meeting on Capitol Hill, Aug. 21, 2018. PHOTO: JOSE LUIS MAGANA/ASSOCIATED PRESS
After the undignified theatrics at Brett Kavanaugh’s confirmation hearings last week, it was hard to imagine that the opposition to this competent Supreme Court nominee could get any more embarrassing. Well, how about a campaign to trade a Senator’s vote for political donations?

A crowdfunding website is trying to strong-arm Senator Susan Collins, the Republican from Maine, by giving more than $1 million to her 2020 opponent—unless she opposes Judge Kavanaugh. Donors are asked to make a financial pledge and then enter their credit-card information. As of Tuesday afternoon, 37,425 people had put down $1,041,878.

The fine print makes clear the quid pro quo: “Your card will only be charged if Senator Susan Collins votes for Kavanaugh’s confirmation to the Supreme Court.” To avoid the money bomb, all Ms. Collins must do is vote “no.”

It isn’t clear this is even legal. We’re all for citizens exercising their free-speech rights, including campaign donations, for or against political candidates. But federal law defines the crime of bribery as “corruptly” offering “anything of value” to a public official, including a Member of Congress, with the intent to “influence any official act.” The crowdfunders in this case are offering something of value—withholding funds from her opponent—in return for a Supreme Court confirmation vote.

“I have had three attorneys tell me that they think it is a clear violation of the federal law on bribery,” Ms. Collins says. “Actually, two told me that; one told me it’s extortion.”

She adds that her office hasn’t “made any kind of decision” about whether to refer the matter to prosecutors. But her astonishment at the strategy is clear: “It’s offensive. It’s of questionable legality. And it is extraordinary to me that people would want to participate in trying to essentially buy a Senator’s vote.”

Another pressure tactic, one Ms. Collins says she finds “incredibly offensive,” is “the out-of-state voicemails being left on the answering machines of my state offices.” Many of the messages are profane. “In one case—and we are going to turn this over to the police, but unfortunately, of course, the person didn’t leave a name or number—but they actually threatened to rape one of my young female staffers.”

The Senator’s office also has been receiving coat hangers in the mail, a grisly attempt to insinuate that a Justice Kavanaugh would restrict abortion rights. About 3,000 have arrived so far. “I am pleased to say,” Ms. Collins says with a small chuckle, “we had a group that has a thrift shop that helps low-income women ask us for 300 of the hangers. So at least 300 of them have gone to a very good cause.”

Even diehard opponents of Judge Kavanaugh must recognize the unseemly nature of this bid to intimidate a U.S. Senator. Not that it will work. “I’m going to do what I think is right,” Ms. Collins says. “I am going to cast my vote—as I have done on all of the other Supreme Court nominees that I’ve been called upon to consider—based on his qualifications, his character and integrity, judicial temperament, his record, and his respect for the rule of law and fidelity to the Constitution.”

Some two-thirds of Maine voters supported Ms. Collins in her last election, so opponents will have their work cut out in 2020. Meanwhile, the next time progressives complain about the menace of money in politics, remind them of their failure to object to the crowdfunding bribe offered to Senator Collins.

Appeared in the September 12, 2018, print edition.

Jul 20, 2018
Oklahoma City
It's amazing the length to which the left is going to demonize Kavanaugh.

SERIOUSLY? So THIS is what Sen. Dianne Feinstein’s secret Brett Kavanaugh letter was about?

Feinstein's expiration date is definitely past.......... Chinese moles in close proximity, purposely leaking Senate reports and now sending a "criminal referral" to the F.B.I. over a prank in High School.

She's not the only one on either side of the aisle who is now a disgrace to the Senate. But she's definitely in the running for Swamp Rat of the Month Award.

Jul 20, 2018
Oklahoma City
This video is certainly reassuring that Ruth is at the top of her game.......... NOT!

We need to have the discussion about age limits for political office and the SCOTUS someday soon. That would include dinosaurs like Inhofe and Feinstein. Both sides of the aisle, in other words......... It's a tough problem, as I do believe it's wrong to discriminate based on age, but "lifetime" appointments are a bigger problem, nonetheless. IMO

Barely Coherent: Supreme Court Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg Makes an Appearance…

Jul 7, 2004

KIMBERLEY STRASSEL PICKS APART FEINSTEIN’S KAVANAUGH LETTER: ‘TIMING HERE CANNOT BE IGNORED’
7:53 PM 09/13/2018
Virginia Kruta | Associate Editor
California Democratic Sen. Dianne Feinstein issued a statement on Thursday alluding to a letter she received that raised concerns about Supreme Court nominee Brett Kavanaugh — but the Wall Street Journal’s Kimberley Strassel suggested that the whole scenario didn’t exactly add up.
The letter, to which Feinstein referred in a vague statement, is believed to contain an allegation of some instance of misconduct involving Kavanaugh and a woman when they were both in high school.
View image on Twitter

But in Feinstein’s statement, Strassel saw a few things that were potentially problematic.

FIRST PROBLEM: THE ACCUSATION.
Strassel began by pointing out reports from the New York Times that suggested Feinstein had at least been aware of the letter’s existence since summer — and argued that if the accusation was truly damning enough to warrant an FBI investigation, it would have been reason enough for Feinstein to present it to authorities immediately.

Kimberley Strassel

@KimStrassel

1) On Feinstein's referral of a letter with an accusation against Kavanaugh to the FBI:
--This is impt enough to be sent to FBI, but not impt enough to have been raised before now? Can't be both. NYT reports she got the letter this summer.
3:59 PM - Sep 13, 2018

SECOND PROBLEM: THE HANDLING.
Strassel went on to question whether a letter concerning enough to warrant a federal investigation should have been shared with Senate Republicans, who, just like their Democratic counterparts, were charged to “advise and consent” with regard to Kavanaugh’s nomination. Additionally, she suggested that if the accuser had explicitly stated a request to not take things further, Feinstein could be betraying that trust by going to the FBI.

Kimberley Strassel

@KimStrassel

Replying to @KimStrassel

2)
--similarly, this is impt enough to be sent to FBI, but never shared with a single Republican charged with advice and consent?
--Feinstein statement explicitly acknowledges that the accuser did not want to take this further. So why is it with the FBI?

THIRD PROBLEM: THE TIMING.
Finally, Strassel argued that the timing of the letter’s introduction into public discourse “cannot be ignored” — it was made public only after Senate Democrats made numerous attempts to stall or delay Kavanaugh’s hearings, all of which were shut down.

Kimberley Strassel

@KimStrassel

Replying to @KimStrassel

3)
--timing here cannot be ignored. Coming only after Democrats were unable to further stall a vote.
--and just to be clear, Ds and media are now using a secret letter with a secret accusation from a secret person, to try to take down Kavanaugh. Scary.

Strassel’s overall assessment was that Democrats and the media were “using a secret letter with a secret accusation from a secret person, to try to take down Kavanaugh. Scary.

Jul 20, 2018
Oklahoma City

KIMBERLEY STRASSEL PICKS APART FEINSTEIN’S KAVANAUGH LETTER: ‘TIMING HERE CANNOT BE IGNORED’
7:53 PM 09/13/2018
Virginia Kruta | Associate Editor
California Democratic Sen. Dianne Feinstein issued a statement on Thursday alluding to a letter she received that raised concerns about Supreme Court nominee Brett Kavanaugh — but the Wall Street Journal’s Kimberley Strassel suggested that the whole scenario didn’t exactly add up.
The letter, to which Feinstein referred in a vague statement, is believed to contain an allegation of some instance of misconduct involving Kavanaugh and a woman when they were both in high school.
View image on Twitter

But in Feinstein’s statement, Strassel saw a few things that were potentially problematic.

FIRST PROBLEM: THE ACCUSATION.
Strassel began by pointing out reports from the New York Times that suggested Feinstein had at least been aware of the letter’s existence since summer — and argued that if the accusation was truly damning enough to warrant an FBI investigation, it would have been reason enough for Feinstein to present it to authorities immediately.
1) On Feinstein's referral of a letter with an accusation against Kavanaugh to the FBI:​
--This is impt enough to be sent to FBI, but not impt enough to have been raised before now? Can't be both. NYT reports she got the letter this summer.​

SECOND PROBLEM: THE HANDLING.
Strassel went on to question whether a letter concerning enough to warrant a federal investigation should have been shared with Senate Republicans, who, just like their Democratic counterparts, were charged to “advise and consent” with regard to Kavanaugh’s nomination. Additionally, she suggested that if the accuser had explicitly stated a request to not take things further, Feinstein could be betraying that trust by going to the FBI.
2)​
--similarly, this is impt enough to be sent to FBI, but never shared with a single Republican charged with advice and consent?​
--Feinstein statement explicitly acknowledges that the accuser did not want to take this further. So why is it with the FBI?​

THIRD PROBLEM: THE TIMING.
Finally, Strassel argued that the timing of the letter’s introduction into public discourse “cannot be ignored” — it was made public only after Senate Democrats made numerous attempts to stall or delay Kavanaugh’s hearings, all of which were shut down.
3)​
--timing here cannot be ignored. Coming only after Democrats were unable to further stall a vote.​
--and just to be clear, Ds and media are now using a secret letter with a secret accusation from a secret person, to try to take down Kavanaugh. Scary.​

Strassel’s overall assessment was that Democrats and the media were “using a secret letter with a secret accusation from a secret person, to try to take down Kavanaugh. Scary.
I enjoyed the comment on one of the articles that likened this stunt to the equivalent of the old REO Speedwagon song that says, "I heard it from a friend who heard it from a friend who heard it from a friend that you were messing around".

Cimarron

It's not dying I'm talking about, it's living.
Jun 28, 2007
Isn’t Feinstein the one who was working for several years with a spy from China? His cover was as her personal driver, cozy.