Suprise signee on the way??

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

OSU_CC

Territorial Marshal
Dec 4, 2010
Gundy secretly has a year left of eligibility left due to new NCAA rule changes and he will be playing QB next year :)

And for those who care about recruiting stars: he is a 3* on scout and a 4* on rivals!

Jan 21, 2012
More About Austin Hays.

Let me preface this by saying that I am Austin Hays' uncle, so whatever I write keep that in mind. I am biased and admit to it.

By glancing through this forum I am thrilled to see that Oklahoma St. fans are passionate and seem to be very knowledgable and friendly. There are a few who are upset about certain recruits with the lack of "stars" from sites such as Rivals, Scout, etc...Austin is such recruit. One site gave him two stars after he signed yesterday. I shit you not!

I am going to tell you first about the kid you guys are getting. Physically he is 6'3" 185 lbs. He catches just about everying thrown in his direction and had an incredible vertcial jump ( He could dunk a basketball in 8th grade when he was only 6'0"). He runs a legit 4.47. Austin is one of those kids who is good at everything he does..football, basketball, baseball, golf, etc..I am not sure what Coach Gundy's policy is, but he could help out the OSU baseball team. He is a LHP who throws in the high 80s, low 90s. He played in the Sunbelt Classic baseball tournament in Oklahoma last summer and made the all-tournament team.

Academically: He is a straight "A" student. ( I think he made a "B" his freshman year in art). He was being recruited by Dartmouth and Princeton. He was also approached by the service academies. Stanford is interested in him as a baseball prospect. He will have no grade issues.

Leadership: Austin is not a "Rah Rah" type. He is not vocal at all. He is somewhat reserved, although he will mix it up if he is hit late or someone talks trash

Strengths: He has a knack for getting behind the DBs and getting open. He is a legit deep threat and loves slants and fades. He has improved as a blocker down field.

Weaknesses: Probably needs to gain some weight and strength. Could easily carry 200 lbs on his frame.

Pedigree: His father, Russell played at Texas in the 80s. ( Not Baylor as reported by Scout.com). Both grandfathers were high school coaches. Grandfather Hays coached Football in Texas for close to 40 years and is in the Texas High School Coaches Hall of Honor. Grandfather Smith coached basketball for many years in San Antonio and currently is employed as the clock keeper for the San Antonio Spurs. (I played at Texas in the late 80s/early 90s as well). There are several coaches in the family...uncles, cousins, etc..

Why he was not heavily recruited: HELL IF I KNOW!...lol. Two years ago, Austin attended the Texas camp. While there, he faced the #1 DB recruit in Texas, Quandre Driggs. Driggs shut down every WR he faced until he matched up with Austin. Austin took him deep for TD not once, but TWICE. He also attended the SMU, TCU and Texas Tech camps and got lots of notice. The coaches at those schools kept in touch and he was the guest at a few games for Texas A&M. However, the week before the season began, he broke a small bone in his foot which caused him to miss the first five games of his junior season. He was never in full football shape the entire year. College recruiters started paying attention to other guys.

Other Stuff:

* Best friend is Oklahoma QB recruit Trevor Knight. They have been best friends since first grade. I use the term "friends" rather loosely. They are closer than many brothers. Watch any highlite video of Trevor and you will see #5 cathing most of the balls. The families are close as well, so the next four years of Bedlam should be interesting.

* Austin grew up a huge Texas Longhorn. We have had season tickets ever since he was old enough to walk. It was his dream to wear orange...dream fullfilled, just a different shade of orange.

* Austin is active in his church. He is a spiritual person, but keeps it to himself for the most part.

* Coach Monken did not see any film of Austin until about three weeks ago. He told him that if they had known about him sooner, they would have offered much sooner...as it was, they had to wait to see if any of the guys that were being offered were going to other places. It all worked out for Austin and he is eager to get on the field and play some ball.

Jul 7, 2004
purplehorn most people are excited about your nephew attending OSU. Blackmon was lightly recruited and we know how that turned out. Stars mean squat.

Lab Rat

Hold on while I make a chart
Jan 5, 2012
More About Austin Hays.

Let me preface this by saying that I am Austin Hays' uncle, so whatever I write keep that in mind. I am biased and admit to it.

By glancing through this forum I am thrilled to see that Oklahoma St. fans are passionate and seem to be very knowledgable and friendly. There are a few who are upset about certain recruits with the lack of "stars" from sites such as Rivals, Scout, etc...Austin is such recruit. One site gave him two stars after he signed yesterday. I shit you not!

I am going to tell you first about the kid you guys are getting. Physically he is 6'3" 185 lbs. He catches just about everying thrown in his direction and had an incredible vertcial jump ( He could dunk a basketball in 8th grade when he was only 6'0"). He runs a legit 4.47. Austin is one of those kids who is good at everything he does..football, basketball, baseball, golf, etc..I am not sure what Coach Gundy's policy is, but he could help out the OSU baseball team. He is a LHP who throws in the high 80s, low 90s. He played in the Sunbelt Classic baseball tournament in Oklahoma last summer and made the all-tournament team.

Academically: He is a straight "A" student. ( I think he made a "B" his freshman year in art). He was being recruited by Dartmouth and Princeton. He was also approached by the service academies. Stanford is interested in him as a baseball prospect. He will have no grade issues.

Leadership: Austin is not a "Rah Rah" type. He is not vocal at all. He is somewhat reserved, although he will mix it up if he is hit late or someone talks trash

Strengths: He has a knack for getting behind the DBs and getting open. He is a legit deep threat and loves slants and fades. He has improved as a blocker down field.

Weaknesses: Probably needs to gain some weight and strength. Could easily carry 200 lbs on his frame.

Pedigree: His father, Russell played at Texas in the 80s. ( Not Baylor as reported by Scout.com). Both grandfathers were high school coaches. Grandfather Hays coached Football in Texas for close to 40 years and is in the Texas High School Coaches Hall of Honor. Grandfather Smith coached basketball for many years in San Antonio and currently is employed as the clock keeper for the San Antonio Spurs. (I played at Texas in the late 80s/early 90s as well). There are several coaches in the family...uncles, cousins, etc..

Why he was not heavily recruited: HELL IF I KNOW!...lol. Two years ago, Austin attended the Texas camp. While there, he faced the #1 DB recruit in Texas, Quandre Driggs. Driggs shut down every WR he faced until he matched up with Austin. Austin took him deep for TD not once, but TWICE. He also attended the SMU, TCU and Texas Tech camps and got lots of notice. The coaches at those schools kept in touch and he was the guest at a few games for Texas A&M. However, the week before the season began, he broke a small bone in his foot which caused him to miss the first five games of his junior season. He was never in full football shape the entire year. College recruiters started paying attention to other guys.

Other Stuff:

* Best friend is Oklahoma QB recruit Trevor Knight. They have been best friends since first grade. I use the term "friends" rather loosely. They are closer than many brothers. Watch any highlite video of Trevor and you will see #5 cathing most of the balls. The families are close as well, so the next four years of Bedlam should be interesting.

* Austin grew up a huge Texas Longhorn. We have had season tickets ever since he was old enough to walk. It was his dream to wear orange...dream fullfilled, just a different shade of orange.

* Austin is active in his church. He is a spiritual person, but keeps it to himself for the most part.

* Coach Monken did not see any film of Austin until about three weeks ago. He told him that if they had known about him sooner, they would have offered much sooner...as it was, they had to wait to see if any of the guys that were being offered were going to other places. It all worked out for Austin and he is eager to get on the field and play some ball.
I guess his name should have given that one away. At least he grew up hating OU. :cowboy: