Super Regional Game 3

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

wrenhal

Territorial Marshal
Aug 11, 2011
Ok, now that it’s over, I’m going to say something that is probably pointless, but I’ll rant about it anyway.

Anyone else feel like our program was robbed of a really special moment by not getting to play the regional at Allie P? I’m still ticked off about it. I know that there’s no blame to to place anywhere, it’s just a really old stadium with literally no drainage in the outfield. But still, very very disappointing. Could have been a storybook ending to the facility.....
I have difficulty giving a total pass on Allie P Reynolds Stadium not having a drainage system. That's short sighted on the administration's part. It's not that hard or exorbitantly expensive to tile a baseball field. If the field had the tile system in it and the water had been managed beforehand the field would have been able to handle the water. I have such a system in a wheat field and it is a huge difference maker.
Tearing up the field to put in drainage and then laying new field down would have cost more than they wanted to spend because they have been working on getting the new stadium for a few years now. Besides, rain like this spring is a rare enough event. Honestly, how many games have been unplayable because of the drainage?

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

Cro

we need some celery and a can of fake snow
A/V Subscriber
Apr 6, 2010
Edmond
Another thing, some of us just aren’t giving Tech enough credit. They’re really really good. They were picked preseason top 5 for a reason. The first half of the season they didn’t play like it. Second half they have. If you go back and look at the series as a whole, the difference was Josh Jung. Kid is just incredible. There’s a reason he was the 8th overall pick. I know it sounds like the old moral victory crap, but I’m proud that we competed with them pitch for pitch, on the road, the way we did. There were only two teams in America that I felt were such a bad match up for us that I didn’t want any part of them in a super regional. That was Arkansas and Tech.
tech is a great team. it pains me to say it. i hate them so much. had a friend at the games (all 3), said the fans were brutal. no surprise there i guess.......

Ptak'sNewspaper

Territorial Marshal
A/V Subscriber
Sep 30, 2004
On Tour with the Gap Band
strikeupthegapband.com
Tearing up the field to put in drainage and then laying new field down would have cost more than they wanted to spend because they have been working on getting the new stadium for a few years now. Besides, rain like this spring is a rare enough event. Honestly, how many games have been unplayable because of the drainage?

We have lost the opportunity to play a LOT of home games over the last 15 years because of the poor drainage in the outfield. This has been an ongoing occurrence for quite some time.

edmondcowboy

Federal Marshal
Sep 24, 2008
I would assume that part of that is a reference to the loss of Neustifter. That loss really left us hanging at 3rd going into the season.
Neustifter hit .227 with 0 HR and 4 RBI at North Greenville Univ—if anyone is interested.

I’ll tell you this—I’ll be as excited in the baseball preseason as for any season in a long time. Lots of solid young players returning in key spots....if we can just have a little bit more discipline at the plate we’ll be back in this spot next year.
Yeah top 6 hitters coming back and 2 of 3 starters. Just need to fill in some spots.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

edmondcowboy

Federal Marshal
Sep 24, 2008
Didn't Tech sweep in Reynolds Stadium last season? Maybe the playing surface has nothing to do with it at all.

It was a great, competitive, exciting series. It's really unfortunate that the NCAA paired Tech and OSU up in the Supers as I think both teams could do some damage in Omaha.
To be fair last years osu team was completely different than this years. Entirely new starting rotation new middle infield new first baseman etc. we fielded the ball pretty well this weekend but when you played you’re whole life on dirt and grass for the most part and then have to adjust to a completely different surface especially pitching off turf opposed to dirt it’s not easy. And I previously said I think we win the series if it’s at home and we have the crowd behind us that we can feed off of.

Even if the field is turf.... you always pitch off of dirt...[/QUOTE]

I was wrong about tech but Not always. See vandy and ou.

edmondcowboy

Federal Marshal
Sep 24, 2008
Ok, now that it’s over, I’m going to say something that is probably pointless, but I’ll rant about it anyway.

Anyone else feel like our program was robbed of a really special moment by not getting to play the regional at Allie P? I’m still ticked off about it. I know that there’s no blame to to place anywhere, it’s just a really old stadium with literally no drainage in the outfield. But still, very very disappointing. Could have been a storybook ending to the facility.....
I have difficulty giving a total pass on Allie P Reynolds Stadium not having a drainage system. That's short sighted on the administration's part. It's not that hard or exorbitantly expensive to tile a baseball field. If the field had the tile system in it and the water had been managed beforehand the field would have been able to handle the water. I have such a system in a wheat field and it is a huge difference maker.

Well it seems like every year baylor comes to town and we beat them down the 3rd game has “unplayable field conditions”

edmondcowboy

Federal Marshal
Sep 24, 2008
Tank has a chance to be a legend
What really sucks for him that is getting lost in it all is that he should have been a legend.

Game 2 bottom 8 down 4-3 drops a 2 run bomb to give us the lead.

Game 3 top 8 4-4 hits a solo shot to give us the lead.

Sadly that final ab will be what sticks in people’s minds.

Neither homer won the game. But honestly it doesn’t get more clutch than that in back to back games with the season on the line

Aug 1, 2008
What really sucks for him that is getting lost in it all is that he should have been a legend.

Game 2 bottom 8 down 4-3 drops a 2 run bomb to give us the lead.

Game 3 top 8 4-4 hits a solo shot to give us the lead.

Sadly that final ab will be what sticks in people’s minds.

Neither homer won the game. But honestly it doesn’t get more clutch than that in back to back games with the season on the line

My take on what lost the game. Live by the HR and die by the lack of the HR. More importantly, you can't drive the nail without a "hammer", meaning we never had a 'closer-hammer' this year. Still. I wouldn't trade Rob Walton for any pitching coach in America!!

Nov 6, 2010
tech is a great team. it pains me to say it. i hate them so much. had a friend at the games (all 3), said the fans were brutal. no surprise there i guess.......
I went to the 2007 football game where Leach's team smoked us, and I was treated well. Of course they were all on cloud nine, but still....

As to Tech's baseball team, they are really good offensively. However, I was shocked at how wild their late relievers were. The more I think about it, the more I see how that was a terrible matchup for our style of offense. Since our guys swing away, we really couldn't make them pay for that except in the second game, where it was just crazy bad. No way that flies against a good hitting CWS team. They better be way ahead of everyone to win, and their offense if good enough that they just may be.

Aug 1, 2008
Personally I think we hit well enough to win, could and should we have been better yeah, but 6 runs a game should be enough.

At the end of the day we were bit by the same ole thing. Inability to hold a lead late and striking out. When we got guys on we couldn’t get them in. And when we homered there was never anyone on. 2 crucial things we must fix ks and late game pitching.

Hopefully josh sees how much more effective putting the ball in play is than swinging for the fences. Huey had the best weekend of anyone and he just hit line drives.

Luckily we should have a good chunk of key players back. Navi, Boone, mccusker, Garcia, Huey. Going to lose the weakest parts of the line up in funk and tank, so hopefully they will fill in with some guys that make more contact. Going to need some arms after Scott and a catcher most likely.

Overall good season. Give me up 2 6 outs from Omaha every year. Unfortunately a bad decision burned us. I think we win at home. So the difference in 8 and 9 seed was huge. As was having to pair up with tech, which I think we all knew when saw the bracket. We should be one of the top 2 teams in the league next year. Not sure what tech has coming in but they lose the best part of their line up.

We lived by the homer and died by the homer.

I don't really think a bad decision was made. Rob Walton made a move to try and get their two big sticks out in the 8th inning. Maybe could have put Jung on, but that brings the tying run to the plate. Battenfield threw him a tater and he planted it over the wall. Here comes ol momentum for TTU. What did get us beat, WE HAVE NO 'HAMMER' TO DRIVE THE NAIL. Meaning, we have had no "closer-hammer' all year. Rob Walton did all he could with what he had in the bullpen.

Ptak'sNewspaper

Territorial Marshal
A/V Subscriber
Sep 30, 2004
On Tour with the Gap Band
strikeupthegapband.com
Some final numbers:

We finished the season with a .834 OPS, our best by far in the BBCOR era.

We scored 6.3 runs per game, our best since 2015 when we also last hosted a regional.

We finished with a 4.08 ERA.

We won 40 games for the first time since 2016, our last trip to Omaha.

We won 40 games against the 4th ranked SOS in the country, very impressive.

The Big 12 is the #2 ranked RPI conference in the country, again.

We won the Big 12 Tournament Title for the 2nd time in the last 3 seasons.

We won 4 elimination games with our backs against the wall in postseason play.

We have won 3 NCAA regionals in the last 6 seasons.

We have punched our ticket to the NCAA Tournament 7 straight seasons now, joining Clemson, LSU, Texas A&M, Florida State, Florida, Vanderbilt, and Louisville as the only programs in the country to do so. Pretty impressive company.

We are currently sitting at #7 in the RPI, and are extremely deserving of a final Top 10 ranking, which would be the 3rd time that this coaching staff has done that in the last 6 seasons. Again, very impressive.

And, to end this post, I will not end with a number, but I will rip a comment off of Jimmy Ifland's twitter - "The worst part about the Cowboys losing in game 3 of the super regionals is that I now have to spend the rest of my summer watching the Giants Cardinals."

Aug 19, 2015
ataballfield
Don't look so sad
I know it's over
But life goes on
And this old world
Will keep on turning
Let's just be glad
We had some time to spend together
There's no need to watch the bridges
That were burning.

Been a great season and a wild ride. Do yourself a favor and don't over analyze it, I don't want to see you hurt yourself.

Last edited:
Aug 19, 2015
ataballfield
I don't really think a bad decision was made. Rob Walton made a move to try and get their two big sticks out in the 8th inning. Maybe could have put Jung on, but that brings the tying run to the plate. Battenfield threw him a tater and he planted it over the wall. Here comes ol momentum for TTU. What did get us beat, WE HAVE NO 'HAMMER' TO DRIVE THE NAIL. Meaning, we have had no "closer-hammer' all year. Rob Walton did all he could with what he had in the bullpen.
I want to know what a "closer hammer" is? I don't think I've ever known a team to have one of those?

wrenhal

Territorial Marshal
Aug 11, 2011

Well it seems like every year baylor comes to town and we beat them down the 3rd game has “unplayable field conditions”

No usually the 3rd game it's raining and the coach for Baylor calls the game rather than wait for it to stop.

Oct 7, 2015
St. Elmo, CO
Well, it is VERY indicative of just how neglected our baseball program has been for the last 20 years.
It's got to raise some real question as how a leading agriculture university can not utilize a ground drainage system so prominent to the successful farming of land in so many areas of the world, even being used back in Roman times, was not implemented on our own sports fields from the start.

If farmers know the importance of drainage to increasing crop yields and although I never took any ag classes while at OSU, I would almost bet your life on the practice being taught in that field.
Also, if farmers can find the expense of adding drainage in their field, one would think OSU would have done it initially or at some time during the decades of Cowboy baseball in the property behind Bennett Hall.

Perhaps the school felt it wasn't necessary. I can't fathom the expense as being the deciding issue.
But, for whatever reason, it did end up costing us a homefield advantage, which we overcame at OKC, but it should have never been an issue and to my knowledge hasn't been an issue at any other baseball facility in the Big 12.

It's a moot point, but how many times and ways could a properly draining field have helped OSU baseball over the years.

Does anyone have any knowledge of O'Brate Stadium's drainage plans? I tried to GTS (Google That Sh*t), but to no avail.