Super Regional Game 3

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.
Nov 16, 2013
tractor
This is not football and tech is not a dynasty and they have to play in Lubbock on a shoddy turf field. It's an apples to oranges comparison. Personally I think the obsession with everything ou football is a sad one, and has absolutely NOTHING to do with baseball. Our new yard is going to make a huge difference for a team that is already knocking on the door under this coach. Future is bright...IMHO, brighter than Tech's.
You are correct sir, excellent points.

Mar 17, 2006
Edmond, Ok
Just stop with the poke choke bullshit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Agreed.

You watch three or four sports (or more) per year, for lots of years, your favorite teams are going to make big mistakes in big games. You’re watching college kids compete, sometimes they just fall short.

I hate that phrase so much. Every fan base that truly follows their teams will experience disappointment lots of times over the years.

edmondcowboy

Federal Marshal
Sep 24, 2008
They play the post season at home every year. Not easy to win there. Especially when you have to adjust to a completely different playing surface than what you are used to.

Field turf has nothing to do with whiffing

Maybe affects the pitching with the sorry ass mound. I’d be embarrassed playing there...
Personally I think we hit well enough to win, could and should we have been better yeah, but 6 runs a game should be enough.

At the end of the day we were bit by the same ole thing. Inability to hold a lead late and striking out. When we got guys on we couldn’t get them in. And when we homered there was never anyone on. 2 crucial things we must fix ks and late game pitching.

Hopefully josh sees how much more effective putting the ball in play is than swinging for the fences. Huey had the best weekend of anyone and he just hit line drives.

Luckily we should have a good chunk of key players back. Navi, Boone, mccusker, Garcia, Huey. Going to lose the weakest parts of the line up in funk and tank, so hopefully they will fill in with some guys that make more contact. Going to need some arms after Scott and a catcher most likely.

Overall good season. Give me up 2 6 outs from Omaha every year. Unfortunately a bad decision burned us. I think we win at home. So the difference in 8 and 9 seed was huge. As was having to pair up with tech, which I think we all knew when saw the bracket. We should be one of the top 2 teams in the league next year. Not sure what tech has coming in but they lose the best part of their line up.

We lived by the homer and died by the homer.

edmondcowboy

Federal Marshal
Sep 24, 2008
Let's get real here.
We played our butts off to get this far and we played a team that we hadn't beaten in a long, long time and at their joint.
We had our chances to keep it going to Omaha, but did anyone really think the odds were in our favor going to Lubbock for this series?

We played hard. We rallied several times when we needed to. We had our chance.

Does anyone really believe we had the team to do much damage in Omaha in the first place? We really have a team that played above their potential. We really did. They fought and fought and fought.

It's hard to get so close only to lose it like we did, but TT is a tough team. They had their big plays, too.
This was a very exciting series, but the better team won. They've been the better team all year.

We don't have to praise Texas Tech, but we shouldn't bash our hitters, pitchers or coaches. They're out there doing their best and they represented Oklahoma State University well.
I'm disappointed in the loss, but proud of their efforts.
I think we could have beat anyone there. Hell coastal won it 3 years ago Fresno a few years before that so anything can happen.

It was a great college baseball series and we ended up on the wrong side.

edmondcowboy

Federal Marshal
Sep 24, 2008
Pitching let us down. 21 runs in 3 games. Offensively we did ok. Tell me score 6 a game and I say we probably win the series.

Against a team that averaged 7.5 runs this season and over 1/3 of their games scored 10+.
Good pitching most of the time beats good hitting. We needed more from the pitching staff.

SanditeCowboy

Territorial Marshal
Jan 11, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
I really thought the conditions today were set up well for the bats. The wind howling out and seeing their mid relievers and closer again I was sure we would score more than 6.

Very disappointing to get two walks in the top of 9 and never get the damn ball out of the infield. Championship teams do not miss those opportunities.

Rack

Federal Marshal
Oct 13, 2004
Earth
Golf was more disappointing (even though they were stroke play champs and clearly the best team losing in a bad format of match play continues to rob us of titles and sucks), on the other hand, these baseball guys overachieved and had a hell of a late season run. Proud of these kids (well the golf kids too)! A wrap on an outstanding spring season for Oklahoma State sports programs. Golf, Baseball, and Softball all gave us outstanding teams and great play down the stretch of the year...we are clearly spoiled.

Go Pokes! Love those Cowboys!!

Apr 7, 2006
Some of you need to get a grip. The turf excuse is nonsense- they hit 2 bombs in the 8th to ultimately win the game. We struck out more than 10x per game on average and did it again tonight with the game on the line. Tech has better coaches and players and won a great game. Poke choke - get out of here with that trash. Tech stepped up and made huge plays with the game on the line. We had a very good year, nothing to hang our heads about.

Nov 3, 2008
This is not football and tech is not a dynasty and they have to play in Lubbock on a shoddy turf field. It's an apples to oranges comparison. Personally I think the obsession with everything ou football is a sad one, and has absolutely NOTHING to do with baseball. Our new yard is going to make a huge difference for a team that is already knocking on the door under this coach. Future is bright...IMHO, brighter than Tech's.
QUOTE="edmondcowboy, post: 3940949, member: 4432"]They play the post season at home every year. Not easy to win there. Especially when you have to adjust to a completely different playing surface than what you are used to.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk[/QUOTE]

Didn't Tech sweep in Reynolds Stadium last season? Maybe the playing surface has nothing to do with it at all.

It was a great, competitive, exciting series. It's really unfortunate that the NCAA paired Tech and OSU up in the Supers as I think both teams could do some damage in Omaha.

Well

Cowboy
A/V Subscriber
Dec 17, 2009
Kids played hard. Proud of them. There were some head-scratching moments, but still fun to watch this team compete. Looking forward to see what happens next year.

edmondcowboy

Federal Marshal
Sep 24, 2008
I really thought the conditions today were set up well for the bats. The wind howling out and seeing their mid relievers and closer again I was sure we would score more than 6.

Very disappointing to get two walks in the top of 9 and never get the damn ball out of the infield. Championship teams do not miss those opportunities.

We had quite a few chances we squandered.

We didn’t play clean all 3 games and it really hurt us. Wether it was dropped flyballs, striking out, letting the bottom of the order have their way with us, walks. Can’t do those this time of the year because like today there isn’t a game tomorrow to correct it.

edmondcowboy

Federal Marshal
Sep 24, 2008
QUOTE="edmondcowboy, post: 3940949, member: 4432"]They play the post season at home every year. Not easy to win there. Especially when you have to adjust to a completely different playing surface than what you are used to.

Didn't Tech sweep in Reynolds Stadium last season? Maybe the playing surface has nothing to do with it at all.

It was a great, competitive, exciting series. It's really unfortunate that the NCAA paired Tech and OSU up in the Supers as I think both teams could do some damage in Omaha.[/QUOTE]

To be fair last years osu team was completely different than this years. Entirely new starting rotation new middle infield new first baseman etc. we fielded the ball pretty well this weekend but when you played you’re whole life on dirt and grass for the most part and then have to adjust to a completely different surface especially pitching off turf opposed to dirt it’s not easy. And I previously said I think we win the series if it’s at home and we have the crowd behind us that we can feed off of.

Apr 7, 2006

Agree. The conventional approach would’ve been to bunt guys over to 2nd and 3rd and try to tie the game. To be fair, Morrill swung at ball 4 or we’d have bad bases juiced. A very fitting finish- struck out swinging at bad pitches in 2 of the final 3 outs. Have to figure out how to improve the discipline at the plate next year.

PokeJ

Sheriff
Oct 27, 2003
McKinney, TX
Visit site

Agree. The conventional approach would’ve been to bunt guys over to 2nd and 3rd and try to tie the game. To be fair, Morrill swung at ball 4 or we’d have bad bases juiced. A very fitting finish- struck out swinging at bad pitches in 2 of the final 3 outs. Have to figure out how to improve the discipline at the plate next year.
Conventional way before analytics.

MustangPokeFan

Territorial Marshal
Sep 9, 2005
Mustang, Ok
www.newshoesband.net
We haven’t had a Vince Wheeland or Brendan McCurry this year that we could count on to lock it down the last two innings. If we had either of those two guys with a 6-4 lead and six outs to go to win a Super Regional, we’d be Omaha bound. We’ve got to find or develop a closer like that for next year.

Sep 29, 2006
I'm really proud of this program for what they accomplished this year. We were 12-6 going into conference play with losses to UT Rio Grande Valley, Wright State, & SE Louisiana. This team got better and better as the year went on. We finished with a Big 12 championship, a regional win, and a hard fought super regional loss.

It hurts now, but this was a really successful season. GO POKES!
You can add Kansas to this list as well. This is where I think Josh has to really improve. Every year we lose 5-8 games to far inferior teams and that affects the end of year rankings and seedings. Other than some of these bad loses I think this team overachieved, great job coaches and players.

SanditeCowboy

Territorial Marshal
Jan 11, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
On the post-game radio show Rex and the Chief were stating what a good job the coaching staff did building the team around some holes. Anyone have any idea what they were referring to?

Ptak'sNewspaper

Territorial Marshal
A/V Subscriber
Sep 30, 2004
On Tour with the Gap Band
strikeupthegapband.com
On the post-game radio show Rex and the Chief were stating what a good job the coaching staff did building the team around some holes. Anyone have any idea what they were referring to?

I would assume that part of that is a reference to the loss of Neustifter. That loss really left us hanging at 3rd going into the season.