Sunday (Wednesday) Morning Coaches - .357 Magnum Edition

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.
Nov 14, 2010
I'll repeat this....
What you'd learn is my background in football and the experience I've had in the game that has given me that knowledge I've attained and my continued daily communications in the game that further that knowledge.

You'd also find that I've been involved as an assistant or head in multiple sports, including football, currently am a Head at the H.S. level in baseball, and broadcast High School finals in Oklahoma and playoffs in Texas.

Literally one of my jobs I've had and still currently have is to study football, teams etc...for the broadcasts I do , and that's after years of coaching it, and still having daily X and O conversations about the game with my colleagues.

You know who I am because I willfully gave you all that information.

That was despite the fact that you created a fake email, then deleted it.

Despite that, I gave my personal Email, my number, my name.

You have all that because I gave it to you because I have nothing to hide.

So...you can personally contact me anytime you'd like for whatever proof you need.

Anyone else who wants my info can too

Nov 14, 2010
Like I said
30 year coaching career
18 as High School baseball assistant
7 as head coach
5 years as American Legion coach in College.
2 different stints totaling 15 years on a football staff and program that has won 4 State Titles
Radio and Video broadcaster with GNP/TV for 18 years.
I have broadcasted 10 State Championship games in football, 4 in basketball and 4 in baseball.
Our crew produced every OSSAA championship this game this year for the NFHS Network.
I was on the call for the 5A State Championship game.
OKC Dodgers Ground Crew.

There you go....
Like I said.....
I have nothing to hide.

Last edited:

PokeJ

Sheriff
Oct 27, 2003
McKinney, TX
Visit site
Like I said
30 year coaching career
18 as High School baseball assistant
7 as head coach
5 years as American Legion coach in College.
2 different stints totaling 15 years on a football staff and program that has won 4 State Titles
Radio and Video broadcaster with GNP/TV for 18 years.
I have broadcasted 10 State Championship games in football, 4 in basketball and 4 in baseball.
Our crew produced every OSSAA championship this game this year for the NFHS Network.
I was on the call for the 5A State Championship game.
OKC Dodgers Ground Crew.

There you go....
Like I said.....
I have nothing to hide.
So you’re Dave Hunziker?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sep 29, 2011
Breckenridge, CO
My observations FWIW

I’ve never seen or heard a former coach be so critical of another coach. Former coaches understand all the challenges of fielding a winning team week in, week out with young people. Whether it’s dealing with injuries, talent deficiencies, attitude problems, lack of focus, limited preparation time, the need for game plan reps, so on, and so on. Because former coaches understand all these challenges, they typically are loathe to criticize especially when they have no idea of the issues another coach and set of players are dealing with. In this case, what’s particularly disturbing is the criticism of personnel choices, in-game play calls, game plan decisions, HC involvement in the offense - all without the benefit of attending practice, opponent breakdown by highly experienced paid analysts, all the game week discussion and planning, and all the in-game discussion and debate.

While I sorta understand the average fan criticizing a coach without realizing what he really doesn’t know, a former coach should know what he doesn’t know. Thus, a former coach typically doesn’t engage in full-blown top to bottom criticism.

Add to that the air of know-it-allness as to what better to run, how it couldn’t be defended and how utterly clueless OUR COACHES are is next to impossible to believe.

But let’s say I’m totally off-base and he does have most if not all the answers. Why the hell isn’t he out making millions and making fools out of every DC on the planet?

Duke Silver

Find safe haven in a warm bathtub full of my jazz.
A/V Subscriber
Sep 17, 2004
Cozy's Bar
My observations FWIW

I’ve never seen or heard a former coach be so critical of another coach. Former coaches understand all the challenges of fielding a winning team week in, week out with young people. Whether it’s dealing with injuries, talent deficiencies, attitude problems, lack of focus, limited preparation time, the need for game plan reps, so on, and so on. Because former coaches understand all these challenges, they typically are loathe to criticize especially when they have no idea of the issues another coach and set of players are dealing with. In this case, what’s particularly disturbing is the criticism of personnel choices, in-game play calls, game plan decisions, HC involvement in the offense - all without the benefit of attending practice, opponent breakdown by highly experienced paid analysts, all the game week discussion and planning, and all the in-game discussion and debate.

While I sorta understand the average fan criticizing a coach without realizing what he really doesn’t know, a former coach should know what he doesn’t know. Thus, a former coach typically doesn’t engage in full-blown top to bottom criticism.

Add to that the air of know-it-allness as to what better to run, how it couldn’t be defended and how utterly clueless OUR COACHES are is next to impossible to believe.

But let’s say I’m totally off-base and he does have most if not all the answers. Why the hell isn’t he out making millions and making fools out of every DC on the planet?

Astute

Nov 14, 2010
My observations FWIW

Mike Gundy and the coaches in his program are the only coaches I criticize.

That's because he's earned every bit of the criticism he gets.

If I've criticized other coaches at OSU it's been a glancing blow over an isolated incident.

I heavily support Josh, and am really rooting for Boynton.

If I've had a negative comment about them it's simply been out of frustration over a single instance or philosophy, nothing more.

I don't really follow any other sports.

Gundy has had public spats with both T Boone Pickens, the single most important donor in OSU history, and, Mike Holder, his boss.

Simply because they wanted more for OSU.

As evidenced by the Thurman Thomas comments, he doesn't make Alumni feel welcome like he should, and he's publicly stated that the best recruits dont want to come to OSU.

He has held his own alma mater hostage on multiple occasions only to leverage more money out of the University.

The guy makes dumb comments about our fans, he says he doesn't care about the fans, he shuts media out over petty instances etc....

He gets paid as much as he does not to do those things.

He has put himself above OSU with his demands of rollover contracts and automatic raises, his antics with Holder and Boone, the comments about the fans and now has eliminated the checks and balances every program needs by hiring under qualified coordinators.

If he doesn't want to be criticized then he doesn't need to pull those antics and make everything about him.

All that, then we have to watch him punt against OU down 21 points on his way to going 2-14 against OU.

Meanwhile, he's hired offensive coaches with 0 P5 O.C. track records and it has all been to the detriment of OSU.

OSU has a chance to elevate its status like we've never had before.

Right now is not the time to have a coach that is unchecked and puts himself above the program.

I have also stated many times that I do NOT want Gundy fired.

My comments are in no way a witch hunt.

I simply want him in more of a check's and balances system.

I've stated that several times.

That is absolutely more than fair to want.

It's more than fair to say.

So....my criticism is only given as what OSU football could do to be better.

At least, in my opinion.

If you don't like the game analysis/ criticism, then lets back and forth with it.

If I claim something would be unstoppable then tell me why it wouldn't be and lets get on the Grease board.

If our coaches can't figure out Miami is blitzing and keep calling long developing pass plays into it then that is clueless.

It needs to not happen when you have coaches that make as much as they do.

If you don't think so then, again, tell me why and let's back and forth with it.

Other than than, that's all it is, people speaking their mind giving their ideas of how to make OSU better.

You are one of those people that I consider an enabler.

You will defend Gundy no matter what.

That, in my opinion, means that you are willing to put your defense of Gundy over the betterment and improvement of OSU.

I'm not

Mike Gundy has shown that he doesn't care what his largest donor and his boss think.

Do you really think he cares what anyone else thinks?

He's tone deaf and it is becoming a pretty dangerous period in time to be that way.

This thing could go the way of basketball real quick.

Especially if the brass at OSU share your opinion that we just are what we are and that we just need to deal with it.

And then... Gundy keeps going unchecked and keeps being tone deaf.

But.... maybe... if there are enough of us that voice our criticisms, then maybe the changes that need to be made will get made by others around Gundy.

Thats a good thing for OSU which is the only thing that matters.

Sep 29, 2011
Breckenridge, CO
Here’s some more things any former coach I’ve been around or heard commenting on another coach or team never do:

Completely dis the reward (a bowl game) for the players after a successful season

Essentially characterize a winning season as an abject failure

Use the success of an offense 10 years ago as “proof” a HC is somehow unwilling to change and is simply playing safe, or some such nonsense I don’t understand.

Continually states he’s proved what’s wrong with the offense.

Continually states the HC is unwilling to change even though the HC has changed offenses at least 4 or 5 times.

Continually states the problem with the offense is the HC meddling in the offense without proof that the HC has so much as called more than one play in the last 10 years, while at the same time the HC has stated on many occasions his suggestions can be thrown in the trash if the OC wants.

And here’s the clincher. What former coach actually believes something called an “autonomous OC” free to make any personnel decisions, run any offense, any game plan, and any play in any situation he chooses, all without any input or approval from the HC, exists in college football. Maybe on Mars, but not on this planet.

I could probably go on, but the horse died long ago.

Last edited:

Duke Silver

Find safe haven in a warm bathtub full of my jazz.
A/V Subscriber
Sep 17, 2004
Cozy's Bar
Here’s some more things any former coach I’ve been around or heard commenting on another coach or team never do:

Completely dis the reward (a bowl game) for the players after a successful season

Use the success of an offense 10 years ago as “proof” a HC is somehow unwilling to change and is simply playing safe, or some such nonsense I don’t understand.

Continually states the HC is unwilling to change even though the HC has changed offenses at least 4 or 5 times.

Continually states the problem with the offense is the HC meddling in the offense without proof that the HC has so much as called more than one play in the last 10 years, while at the same time the HC has stated on many occasions his suggestions can be thrown in the trash if the OC wants.

And here’s the clincher. He actually believes something called an “autonomous OC” free to make any personnel decisions, run any offense, any game plan, and any play in any situation he chooses, all without any input from the HC, exists in college football. Maybe on Mars, but not on this planet.

Nailed it

Nov 19, 2005
Great Bend, KS

And here’s the clincher. He actually believes something called an “autonomous OC” free to make any personnel decisions, run any offense, any game plan, and any play in any situation he chooses, all without any input from the HC, exists in college football. Maybe on Mars, but not on this planet.
I'm not a coach and never pretended to be on the internet. I don't know what's wrong with the offense but from a layman's perspective it seems our offense for the last several years has several tendencies to be very conservative. This has been across several OCs so it is reasonable to think this is very likely due to the influence of "input" of Gundy's conservative philosophy.

I believe the season overall was not a success as it did not improve the OSU reputation and I think others do as well. Certainly there were bright spots, but those nationally who thought OSU would win the Big 12 will not keep picking OSU if we continue to underperform. As much as I wish it didn't matter, preseason rankings, recent history, and getting that love on national outlets programs is important for the program to be strong, recruit well, and the donors donating.

Nov 14, 2010

And here’s the clincher. What former coach actually believes something called an “autonomous OC” free to make any personnel decisions, run any offense, any game plan, and any play in any situation he chooses, all without any input or approval from the HC, exists in college football. Maybe on Mars, but not on this planet.

Here's a direct quote from Urban Meyer on the bowl games

""I can't believe I'm saying this because I'm a traditionalist who loves the bowl games and bowl experience, but the game is changing," Meyer said Saturday on Fox's Big Noon Kickoff. "You have two different sets of groups, the elite group, the high-profile players and the not-so-high profile group. When I was at Notre Dame, we went 7-6 one time and we went to the Independence Bowl and the team didn’t want to go. What these coaches are dealing with, I kind of dealt with, but not like now."

So... what hes saying is that it was bad then and worse now.

So...I agree with Meyer...
Places like OSU this year, meaning schools that had Playoff aspirations, usually are and should be dissapointed by making a bowl game instead of the playoffs.

Unlike you, his teams didn't view just having a winning season a success and they didn't want to go to a meaningless bowl.

So, no, they didn't view the bowl as a reward.

Holgorsen came in and installed the Air Raid.
So there's example #1, right here at OSU, of an O.C. installing and running his own system.

And...If you believe Holgorsen was Gundys idea then good for you, I don't.

Gundy has since simplified that down, eliminated entire concepts that were very successful etc... and gone right back to inside and outside zone, fade passes, bubbles and quicks being the staple etc.....

What's he's don'e to the offense hasn't helped.

It has made OSU worse.

So, again, unless you're willing to put your love for Gundy ahead of the health of OSU football, you have to call it so.

And, as I said in the previous post, you can keep defending that, but as I said, you are acting as an enabler by doing so.

If you want proof of the meddling he did this year just watch the documentary "Our Time"

He doesn't hide it.

He literally tells Dunn what to run, who needs to be running it etc...

But, Heck... finding proof that Gundy meddles with the offense is easy.
But... the funny part of that is that Gundy has even admitted to taking over and calling the defense too. Heres his direct quote
"Well on the sideline, I started calling defenses — I haven’t ever called defenses in my career — in the last two minutes. And it was stuff that we didn’t have. You remember when Lou Holtz called offense and defense both in 1976 in the Orange Bowl? I started thinking about that, and I don’t know why. I don’t even know why I know that."

This was after the TCU game just LAST YEAR

Now.... if you're willing to think he's done that to his D.C. on the side of the ball he didn't play or hasn't coached, quoted remembering another coach calling both offense and defense, but that he hasn't/ doesn't do that to his O.C. then power to you.

Although, as I mentioned earlier, just watch "Our Time". It's there for everyone to see.

As far as Offensive Coordinators that have autonomy over the game planning and play calling, the system they're running etc...
You don't have too go far to find one of our own former OC's and Todd Monken at Georgia.

Here's Kirby Smart's quote on the issue
"Smart told the media Monday that Monken has "full autonomy" over the play-calling and decision-making when it comes to the offense. "

He literally used the words "full autonomy".

You like to use Hyperbole to help your narrative.

Literally my argument about Gundy is that he needs more of a check's and balances system.

So... no one is arguing that anyone go completely unchecked and there be no communication or input between Coordinators and the Head Coach etc...
You're trying to do with this discussion as you do with Criticism of Gundy.

You make things so extreme to try and fit your narrative.

When I talk about the changes I'd like to see made in the OSU program, you always go back to how stupid it would be to fire Gundy..

You do that despite the fact that I have constantly stated I'd prefer him to be our coach, but having made changes.

There's a difference between meddling in play calling by telling your OC what plays to run and who to run them with, getting flustered and actually taking over play calling as Gundy admitted to doing on the defensive side of the ball as well, forcing the O.C. to run your offense as he has asmitted etc... like Gundy does
There's a big difference between that and being in communication with all aspects of the program, evaluating results and giving input and setting goals based on those results, then giving your coaces autonomy to do their jobs the best way they know how to achieve those goals.

One is communication through interference, the other is communication through evaluation.

Evaluation is good, interference isn't.

Last edited:

wrenhal

Federal Marshal
Aug 11, 2011
Someone might have said this already, but you are missing his point. This guy acts like he is so knowledgeable about football and his large posts are insightful, but they aren't even his own words or knowledge. I've read many of you guys on here that can still up certain things ina paragraph or two that appear to take him a novel to say. It's one of the main reasons I put him on ignore. He is forever "tldr;".

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk
All I'm asking is for someone to provide even a shred of proof that they aren't his own words or knowledge. Until someone can provide that, then it's just a baseless claim. I find it odd that a really vocal minority holds this position, but is unable to provide evidence supporting their position.

Why do YOU believe that his posts aren't his own words? Surely you must have some proof that supports your belief.
To me, someone only writes that lengthy if they are writing an article of some sort. Not that it's not his words for me, but do you think he really writes articles on football for a living?
To me, he just writes so much that it becomes unreadable. So I'd rather put him on ignore and thus not have to scroll past it.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk