Sunday (Wednesday) Morning Coaches - .357 Magnum Edition

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

RxCowboy

Has no Rx for his orange obsession.
A/V Subscriber
Nov 8, 2004
Wishing I was in Stillwater
Offense: B++
For the first quarter and a half, the offense was about as good as it can get, and Spencer Sanders is the reason why. To put it simply, over that time period Sanders was simply the better of the two quarterbacks on the field and by a lot. Then Miami scored... and Spencer Sanders Hero Ball emerged. Hero Ball is trying to be Superman, trying to score on every play, and ending up doing things that are fundamentally unsound. For the first time in the game we went 3 and out. Sanders threw two incompletions and they weren't close. There was one series in the second half after the game got close were Sanders threw while still shifting to his left on 2nd down and then threw off his back foot on 3rd down. Both were incomplete, one was nearly picked off, we went 3 and out when we needed to drive the ball and at least possess it and chew up clock. If we can get more of the Sanders playing like the first three offensive possessions, then he can be really good and the offense can really click and we'll be tough to beat next year. More Hero Ball next year and we'll have another frustrating season.

Brennan Pressley. Where on earth did that performance come from? That second touchdown catch, the pass was beautiful, hit him perfectly in stride and allowed him to turn upfield and find open space, then Pressley hit the jets and showed great vision with the ball in his hands. IMHO, he should have been the MVP of the game.

The offensive line looked better. We gave better protection to Sanders. However, we really never got much push in the run game and it never really got untracked. Part of that was Miami simply selling out to stop the run, part of it was just not getting people blocked. But it was better. The o-line didn't resemble a MASH unit.

Defense: A-
The Canes picked up some yardage and scored in the second half, but when the defense absolutely had to make plays, they made them. They never really let D'Eriq King get untracked. But Miami really does have some offensive talent and it showed. That TE, Jordan, he was a beast - an NFL-ready TE. The WR Harley had some freaking jets, he was as fast as anyone I've seen play against us this year. This game was a Tre Sterling highlight reel. He and Malcolm Rodriguez were just fantastic all night long.

Special Teams: B
We missed a field goal and an extra point, but Brady Pohl looked better. We were pretty much dead-even in the Aussie punter competition. Hedley had a slightly longer average, 44.7, Hutton had the longer kick at 55 yards, so it was a toss-up.

Coaching: A
I don't know what it is, but Gundy has figured out something about getting teams ready for bowl games. They look fresh and well-prepared. We finally, thank the stars, threw a slant to Stoner on a goal-to-go when they had 10 people stacked in the box.

Uniforms: B+
I always like to see us with more orange, but that's me.

Officiating: A-
There were a couple of obvious holding calls that were missed, but other than that it was a pretty well officiated game.

Play-by-Play: B+
During the regular season I usually turn the sound off on my TV and play the radio broadcast on my computer. It takes a little playing with the TV remote to sync the two, but I've been doing it long enough now that I have gotten pretty good at it. But there isn't an OSU radio broadcast for bowl games, the radio broadcast was an ESPN crew. So, I listened to the TV broadcast. The thing about TV broadcasters is they get hung up on hyping one team over the other or one particular player. In this case the player was D'Eriq King. You would have thought he was the second-coming of Joe Freaking Montana. Other than that, the PBP wasn't too bad.

For those of you who don't get the reference, when Jimmy Johnson left OSU to go to Miami, and Miami played in Norman and beat OU, JJ famously said, "I went to Norman and had a BB gun with Oklahoma State. When I went with Miami I had a .357 magnum." We played Miami when they were at their height and we were nearing the end of the PJ-era, and got destroyed. To quote an old Klingon proverb, vengeance is a dish best served cold.

Last edited:

RxCowboy

Has no Rx for his orange obsession.
A/V Subscriber
Nov 8, 2004
Wishing I was in Stillwater
Did you miss the brutal 4th down spot that gave Miami a 1st down near mid-field?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yeah, I forgot. There were also a couple of spots where we lost a yard and a half. I think they got the call right reversing Miami's 2-pt conversion. The knee doesn't have to be down, if the calf/shin is down then he's down and his calf was clearly on the ground before the ball crossed. So, overall, I can't complain.

the truth

Deputy
A/V Subscriber
Jul 9, 2004
defense A- ??? if u give up 34, and your offense has no turnovers, your defense sucked. with a backup qb for the entire second half!

kenny41

Territorial Marshal
Aug 28, 2006
OKC/Tulsa
Big Kudos to the OSU staff. The fact we were able to play the full modified schedule was a huge undertaking in regards to virus spread mitigation protocol.

Apr 12, 2020
Stillwater
I would still blame the playcalling for the stagnation after going up 21-0, not SS. All of a sudden it felt we like doubled our run attempts and our attempt at throwing for the 3rd down conversion were out routes that didn’t even reach the sticks.

Aug 19, 2006
Did Braydon Johnson make the trip? I don't recall ever hearing his name. It was good to see Tay Martin get some playing time. He could emerge to be our next stud next season.

Oct 27, 2003
McKinney, TX
Visit site
I would still blame the playcalling for the stagnation after going up 21-0, not SS. All of a sudden it felt we like doubled our run attempts and our attempt at throwing for the 3rd down conversion were out routes that didn’t even reach the sticks.

Don’t have a problem with a B for the offense but I don’t understand how we can on the flip side give the Defense an A. If we are going to downgrade the offense for some lapses in production we need to do the same thing with the D.

Aug 19, 2006

It was frustrating to see the offense stall out but I thought Gundy's explanation after the game made a lot of sense. Miami made some adjustments and started blitzing more which slowed down our passing game. We just don't have the OL hosses up front to control the line of scrimmage so our running game just never materialized.

Put the 4 points we missed in the kicking game on the scoreboard and the final score would have significantly beat the spread. Hard to complain about that.

Aug 22, 2006
SE Oklahoma
Miami made an adjustment and we were not able to counter their adjustment, we settled on the 3 touchdown lead until it was a 2 point lead. After the first quarter the game was quite frustrating for me I am glad we won no doubt but we went from blowing them out to just barely winning. I know there won't be any major changes to the staff and I will have to accept that this is what we will be as a team next season also. Playing not to lose is the most frustrating thing to watch.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

OstatePokes

Territorial Marshal
Aug 24, 2007
Knoxville, Tennessee
It was interesting to compare last night to the Houston Bowl last year. We started fast in both games, but last night the team did a great job to rally and keep getting points and stops at the end of the game.

HighWestPoke

Cowboy
A/V Subscriber
Jun 3, 2016
Mustang, OK
During the regular season I usually turn the sound off on my TV and play the radio broadcast on my computer. It takes a little playing with the TV remote to sync the two, but I've been doing it long enough now that I have gotten pretty good at it. But there isn't an OSU radio broadcast for bowl games, the radio broadcast was an ESPN crew. So, I listened to the TV broadcast. The thing about TV broadcasters is they get hung up on hyping one team over the other or one particular player. In this case the player was D'Eriq King. You would have thought he was the second-coming of Joe Freaking Montana. Other than that, the PBP wasn't too bad.
Don't know if you can pull 96.1 KXY in Ohio online, but Hunziker and RA did the game last night and it was a ton better than the ESPN TV crew.

Jostate

Bluecolla's sock
A/V Subscriber
Jun 24, 2005
I don't want to go negative on you because I loved beating a ranked Miami in the best bowl so far this season, but you were too kind to an offense that disappeared in the middle of the game. When we had a chance to really put the game away we had drives of -5, 0, -5, -2. Later we had a couple more drives of pretty much 0 yards. I know you can't have a TD every possession but 4 consecutive drives for a total of -12 yards is a little too much for me to ignore and grade them as high as you did.

For some reason that game felt like about 90 minutes of playing time instead of 60. The D had some let downs, but came through when they had to, as they have several times this season.

It's become such a can of worms my better judgement tells me to not bring it up, but had we played 2 teams we were favored to beat by over 2 TD's early in the year, here we would probably be at another 10 win season with a bowl win over a ranked team.

SanditeCowboy

Territorial Marshal
Jan 11, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
I don't want to go negative on you because I loved beating a ranked Miami in the best bowl so far this season, but you were too kind to an offense that disappeared in the middle of the game. When we had a chance to really put the game away we had drives of -5, 0, -5, -2. Later we had a couple more drives of pretty much 0 yards. I know you can't have a TD every possession but 4 consecutive drives for a total of -12 yards is a little too much for me to ignore and grade them as high as you did.

For some reason that game felt like about 90 minutes of playing time instead of 60. The D had some let downs, but came through when they had to, as they have several times this season.

It's become such a can of worms my better judgement tells me to not bring it up, but had we played 2 teams we were favored to beat by over 2 TD's early in the year, here we would probably be at another 10 win season with a bowl win over a ranked team.
Unfortunately we have a head coach who felt like the game was put away when the Cowboys were up 21. He went conservative which resulted in the offensive drive stats you referenced.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

SanditeCowboy

Territorial Marshal
Jan 11, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Offense: B++
For the first quarter and a half, the offense was about as good as it can get, and Spencer Sanders is the reason why. To put it simply, over that time period Sanders was simply the better of the two quarterbacks on the field and by a lot. Then Miami scored... and Spencer Sanders Hero Ball emerged. Hero Ball is trying to be Superman, trying to score on every play, and ending up doing things that are fundamentally unsound. For the first time in the game we went 3 and out. Sanders threw two incompletions and they weren't close. There was one series in the second half after the game got close were Sanders threw while still shifting to his left on 2nd down and then threw off his back foot on 3rd down. Both were incomplete, one was nearly picked off, we went 3 and out when we needed to drive the ball and at least possess it and chew up clock. If we can get more of the Sanders playing like the first three offensive possessions, then he can be really good and the offense can really click and we'll be tough to beat next year. More Hero Ball next year and we'll have another frustrating season.

Brennan Pressley. Where on earth did that performance come from? That second touchdown catch, the pass was beautiful, hit him perfectly in stride and allowed him to turn upfield and find open space, then Pressley hit the jets and showed great vision with the ball in his hands. IMHO, he should have been the MVP of the game.

The offensive line looked better. We gave better protection to Sanders. However, we really never got much push in the run game and it never really got untracked. Part of that was Miami simply selling out to stop the run, part of it was just not getting people blocked. But it was better. The o-line didn't resemble a MASH unit.

Defense: A-
The Canes picked up some yardage and scored in the second half, but when the defense absolutely had to make plays, they made them. They never really let D'Eriq King get untracked. But Miami really does have some offensive talent and it showed. That TE, Jordan, he was a beast - an NFL-ready TE. The WR Harley had some freaking jets, he was as fast as anyone I've seen play against us this year. This game was a Tre Sterling highlight reel. He and Malcolm Rodriguez were just fantastic all night long.

Special Teams: B
We missed a field goal and an extra point, but Brady Pohl looked better. We were pretty much dead-even in the Aussie punter competition. Hedley had a slightly longer average, 44.7, Hutton had the longer kick at 55 yards, so it was a toss-up.

Coaching: A
I don't know what it is, but Gundy has figured out something about getting teams ready for bowl games. They look fresh and well-prepared. We finally, thank the stars, threw a slant to Stoner on a goal-to-go when they had 10 people stacked in the box.

Uniforms: B+
I always like to see us with more orange, but that's me.

Officiating: A-
There were a couple of obvious holding calls that were missed, but other than that it was a pretty well officiated game.

For those of you who don't get the reference, when Jimmy Johnson left OSU to go to Miami, and Miami played in Norman and beat OU, JJ famously said, "I went to Norman and had a BB gun with Oklahoma State. When I went with Miami I had a .357 magnum." We played Miami when they were at their height and we were nearing the end of the PJ-era, and got destroyed. To quote an old Klingon proverb, vengeance is a dish best served cold.
As for the OSU radio play by play there is a Twitter feed of it on the Cowboy Sports Network Twitter handle (@CowboySportsNet). Next year you can hear (and see) the crew on Twitter when TuneIn doesn’t work.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk