Sunday Morning Coaches - Week 8, Dancing not allowed Edition

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

Rack

Legendary Cowboy
Oct 13, 2004
Earth
So you think our QB is great despite the numbers and stats and turnovers? Look, I don't disagree at all that Gundy has all sorts of problems picking the right QB the first time...IMHO, this is just more of that same pattern and he needs to bench him...but he won't until all the wheels fall off completely, former QBDG style. I sincerely hope QBSS proves me dead wrong...he seems like a good young man, but he's cost us the past two games nearly completely with his turnovers and massive swings in momentum and outcomes they have caused.

Birry

Federal Marshal
Feb 6, 2007
Landlocked
So you think our QB is great despite the numbers and stats and turnovers? Look, I don't disagree at all that Gundy has all sorts of problems picking the right QB the first time...IMHO, this is just more of that same pattern and he needs to bench him...but he won't until all the wheels fall off completely, former QBDG style. I sincerely hope QBSS proves me dead wrong...he seems like a good young man, but he's cost us the past two games nearly completely with his turnovers and massive swings in momentum and outcomes they have caused.
Sanders has regressed since week 1. We're talking about a highly rated guy with a lot of talent, and somehow he's getting worse. This isn't just about the coaching staff picking the wrong guy.

Rack

Legendary Cowboy
Oct 13, 2004
Earth
Sanders has regressed since week 1. We're talking about a highly rated guy with a lot of talent, and somehow he's getting worse. This isn't just about the coaching staff picking the wrong guy.
He has regressed as the competition has improved. I'm not sure he's the right guy for the job. I hope he proves me dead wrong, but he gifted both of the past two games to Tech and Baylor. He was good at Oregon State, good vs the fcs team, decent at Texas, decent vs KSU, decent vs Tulsa...maybe it's a phase and he will snap out of it...I think he just try's to do to much and screws up in hero ball. I've seen guys regress before, it's not always on coaching. Right now I just think he's not that great in our system or as the type of QB we traditionally are good with...not sure why and QBBR comes to mind...tons of talent just not able to develop it on this level for some reason.

RxCowboy

Has no Rx for his orange obsession.
A/V Subscriber
Nov 8, 2004
Wishing I was in Stillwater
He has regressed as the competition has improved.
That isn't regression. He looked good against bad competition and against better competition he can't look as good. Against Tulsa and McNeese his athleticism allowed him to get by. He can't do that against better teams. The QB doesn't have to be the best athlete on the team, but he'd better doggone well be good at decision making and have complete command of the offense. Sanders just doesn't at this point.

Birry

Federal Marshal
Feb 6, 2007
Landlocked
He has regressed as the competition has improved. I'm not sure he's the right guy for the job. I hope he proves me dead wrong, but he gifted both of the past two games to Tech and Baylor. He was good at Oregon State, good vs the fcs team, decent at Texas, decent vs KSU, decent vs Tulsa...maybe it's a phase and he will snap out of it...I think he just try's to do to much and screws up in hero ball. I've seen guys regress before, it's not always on coaching. Right now I just think he's not that great in our system or as the type of QB we traditionally are good with...not sure why and QBBR comes to mind...tons of talent just not able to develop it on this level for some reason.
I don't understand Sanders, either. He's been in our system for a while and still looks like he has very little confidence. He's also completely changed his style of play from Game 1 until now. He's obviously been coached to protect himself, and I thin it's had an impact on his ability to play his game. If he struggles at all in the next game, the coaches must put in Brown.

Jan 14, 2006
I honestly think the coaches were telling the truth when they said the competition was close going into game 1. I think the plan was still to play both but SS came out so hot that we (coaches included) thought he was a gamer that would do that week in and week out. Turns out the Oregon state game was fools gold and it's too late to turn back now.

Hope he can turn it around because the physical skills are there. Tough to watch right now though.

Rack

Legendary Cowboy
Oct 13, 2004
Earth
I honestly think the coaches were telling the truth when they said the competition was close going into game 1. I think the plan was still to play both but SS came out so hot that we (coaches included) thought he was a gamer that would do that week in and week out. Turns out the Oregon state game was fools gold and it's too late to turn back now.

Hope he can turn it around because the physical skills are there. Tough to watch right now though.
It's not too late to turn back...just like we have done in multiple re-building years. But the coaches must decide if someone else will be better or if SS will improve as it goes...HCMG is stubborn with his QB choices and doesn't like to admit when he is wrong...so I suspect we will live or die with SS as QB until it's really beyond repair.

Jan 14, 2006
It's not too late to turn back...just like we have done in multiple re-building years. But the coaches must decide if someone else will be better or if SS will improve as it goes...HCMG is stubborn with his QB choices and doesn't like to admit when he is wrong...so I suspect we will live or die with SS as QB until it's really beyond repair.
We're in a no win situation now. Start playing Brown, maybe salvage a few games but completely destroy SS and probably divide the locker room.

Or stick with SS and hope he starts seeing things. The real loser in all of this is DB. He never got a fair shot and he's a Sr so it's now or never.

That's yet another reason why you go with the older guy in a close qb competition. If Brown had started and not worked out, Spencer could come in and start developing with much less pressure. Instead we turned our last year with Tylan and Chuba into a rebuilding year.

Rack

Legendary Cowboy
Oct 13, 2004
Earth
We're in a no win situation now. Start playing Brown, maybe salvage a few games but completely destroy SS and probably divide the locker room.

Or stick with SS and hope he starts seeing things. The real loser in all of this is DB. He never got a fair shot and he's a Sr so it's now or never.

That's yet another reason why you go with the older guy in a close qb competition. If Brown had started and not worked out, Spencer could come in and start developing with much less pressure. Instead we turned our last year with Tylan and Chuba into a rebuilding year.
Neither are Sr's so you never know if this is their last year...lots of ball to play and see what they want to do...we could still...1. make a bowl...2.win a bowl...3. win 8 or 9 games. It's a long season and it's only half over. we are 4-3 not 3-4 so we just need to right the ship (keep it from sinking) and at least move forward rather than back. It's just crazy how good things were looking prior to 10 mins left in the game...Got to be able to finish.

Nov 14, 2010
A bad o-line will make Tom Brady look bad. Our o-line is thin to begin with and we've had injuries.
Ahh....
The Oline thing again this year

Gundy is a magician at getting people to buy into this excuse year after year after year.

We have the Nations leading rusher

Well... actually im too lazy to look up to see if Chuba is the Nations leading rusher at the moment, but he's up there.

We run the ball 64% of the time. Dillon Stoner, a slot receiver that should be catching a bunch of short passes, had 0 catches yesterday.

Our Oline is the least of our issues

Run the right scheme, like we used to, and that excuse would go away.

Gundy has his name on the scheme we're running right now and it's not working.

So.....
He needs a scape goat

Qb needs 15 games
OL is inconsistent
Blah blah blah

At the end of the day all they are are excuses to justify a change in schematics that has blown up in his face. Changes that he has forced on everyone and changes no one wanted.

I prefer not to let him off the hook by buying into his excuses.

Gundy will bring down the ship trying to prove he's right about these schematic changes before he swallows his pride and lets someone re institute either the read option or Air Raid, the 2 offenses we've had success with, but weren't his.

Last edited:
Nov 25, 2009
Kedah Malaysia

It begin with "seeing".

More importantly, the QB must make the Defense off their toes and not the other way around.

Rack

Legendary Cowboy
Oct 13, 2004
Earth
Speaking of turnovers...we have 8 in two weeks ALL on QBSS. IMHO, if DB isn't a turnover machine you have to change the QB and let SS compete next year. That or his development needs to speed up and quickly.

Last edited:
Apr 14, 2008
Texas
Speaking of turnovers...we have 7 in two weeks ALL on QBSS. IMHO, if DB isn't a turnover machine you have to change the QB and let SS compete next year. That or his development needs to speed up and quickly.
I don't think SS can overcome it this year...a lot of it seems to be originating from between the ears.

Another thought: didn't Sanders also have some fumbles that were recovered by Offense?

Feb 18, 2009

I agreed with the entire post until the last sentence. We used last year to make this year a rebuilding year and wasted two superb talents. There is a reason Jalen hung it up and Justice bailed last year. This year could have been different.

Sep 12, 2013
Broken Arrow, OK
Speaking of turnovers...we have 7 in two weeks ALL on QBSS. IMHO, if DB isn't a turnover machine you have to change the QB and let SS compete next year. That or his development needs to speed up and quickly.
It's 8 turnovers. Having that many turnovers in two games is terrible. When one guy is directly responsible for all of them????

He needs to be benched until he learns to protect the ball.