Sunday Morning Coaches - Week 6, Tortilla Tossers Edition

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

RxCowboy

Has no Rx for his orange obsession.
A/V Subscriber
Nov 8, 2004
Wishing I was in Stillwater
Welp, for the second week in a row I didn't get to see the game. I also didn't get to listen to it yesterday, either, I'll have to watch a replay today (although, given that we lost I'm not so excited to watch). I did get to do something worthwhile, yesterday, however. I was in a ceremony chartering a chapter of my fraternity on my campus. It has taken me 9 long years to finally get the chapter chartered, so it was the end of a long journey that was sometimes very difficult.

I'm interested in hearing your thoughts on the game, particularly how you would grade the units.

bleedinorange

Federal Marshal
Jan 11, 2010
In Pokey's head
I'll weigh in my 2 cents worth. Pass protection was mediocre but good enough to operate behind. Run blocking was average but the running game was underutilized (imo). Defense stayed in the locker room along with the coaches. Spencer is still a high school phenom and miles away from the "gunslinger" status afforded him. Just imo, I thought this was the most poorly prepared game plan/team prep effort I've seen in a long time. I thought we could have played ball control, smash mouth football. But, I'm no coach. (and neither were ours on this Saturday)

Graded out:

Offense C (thanks to Stoner/Hubbard).
Defense F
D backs D
O line C
D line (still looking for them)
Receivers B (when receiving catchable passes)
Quarterback F- (5 turnovers inexcusable)
Running backs B (underutilized imo)

Aug 2, 2011
I'll weigh in my 2 cents worth. Pass protection was mediocre but good enough to operate behind. Run blocking was average but the running game was underutilized (imo). Defense stayed in the locker room along with the coaches. Spencer is still a high school phenom and miles away from the "gunslinger" status afforded him. Just imo, I thought this was the most poorly prepared game plan/team prep effort I've seen in a long time. I thought we could have played ball control, smash mouth football. But, I'm no coach. (and neither were ours on this Saturday)

Graded out:

Defense F
D backs D
O line C
O-line is an F

bleedinorange

Federal Marshal
Jan 11, 2010
In Pokey's head
Too generous with that OLine grade. That was awful. Just awful. Looked worse than the Wickline end times.
Yeah, the case can be made for ya'lls point. I graded up on the line for the holes they opened occasionally for the running backs. That, and I didn't want to incite the wrath of the koolade drinkers who have difficulty with a critical opinion. ;)

CPTNQUIRK

I'm Your Captain!
A/V Subscriber
Nov 20, 2006
In the Boondocks in Creek County, Oklahoma
Yeah, the case can be made for ya'lls point. I graded up on the line for the holes they opened occasionally for the running backs. That, and I didn't want to incite the wrath of the koolade drinkers who have difficulty with a critical opinion. ;)
Hey, I’m a koolade drinker and I thought the O line stunk. I’d give them a D. Other than that I agree with you completely. The koolade tastes more like vanilla.

Last edited:

Jostate

CPTNQUIRK called me a greenhorn
A/V Subscriber
Jun 24, 2005

Graded out:

Defense F
D backs D
O line C
I think I saw a different game than you did. My memory may be a little selective but I came away (especially from the first half) more mad about the Offense than the Defense. Sanders kept turning it over and the D did a pretty good job limiting the points from those turnovers. I mean the halftime score was 20 - 7.

Hubbard got his 34 carries so it's hard to see that as underutilized. Early in the game I was frustrated because out of the first 20 plays 16 were runs and 4 were passes. Of course that number is skewed because a QB getting sacked doesn't show as a pass attempt in the box score and I had to remind myself passing isn't the answer when the QB is surrounded by defenders as soon as he snaps the ball. I don't know if Tech's D-line is that great but it felt like they had 14 defenders on the field on most plays.

Oct 7, 2015
St. Elmo, CO
Don't bother watching the replay of the game unless you want to be PO'd for the rest of the day or two.
I, too, taped the game (as I do all Cowboy games), but immediately erased it hoping upon hope that it might ease my anger and frustration at staring at a possible repeat of last year's Gundy Brain-Fart Season.

For the life of me, the idea of last year's inability of Gundy to get at least some PT for Sanders to help eliminate the growth rate of our inevitable 2019 starting quarterback came back to add gasoline to a raging, Burning Man size fire that consumed all of the oxygen surrounding me.
Series blunder after series blunder, Sanders turnover after Sanders turnover, I railed against Gundy each and every time Sanders came off the sidelines instead of Brown to run the offense when each turnover saw the Cowboy's chances of a win get more and more distant.

I hoped today would give me a more concise and clear insight into the game, but I'm still PO'd. So, let's move on with the grades.

Head Coach and all coaching: F-
If I could grade lower than that I would.
This was another one of those games that make me hate Gundy. After all of his talk about being energized and more "woke" about the team, he pulls out one of his headscratching, I'm-not-going-to-try-everything-to-win-a-game, nonchalant, games.

The team came out flat and remained flat until Hubbard took the whole team on his back too late.

OC & DC can be fired immediately and blamed on Gundy's weird hiring habits of going for no name, cheap coaches that can't do the job.
Gleeson is not showing anything, but he may be overruled by Gundy. We don't know. But what we do know is that we have no creativity in the offense at all. I don't see any of the Princeton offense he displayed as the Tiger OC. The jury is deliberating still, but the evidence doesn't support an acquittal.
The OLine was pathetic. I watched as Sanders scrambled, some fat OSU lineman stading around watching the freakin' game when he should have been looking for some Red Raider to block that was closing in on his quarterback. The OLine was pushed around like a sleepy baby in a stroller all day long.
All the good that was heaped upon them last week has now officially been removed and replaced with a stink so bad that only a skunk can appreciate.

Knowles -- FIRE HIM TODAY! Having one game that shows some improvement only to be followed by 5 or 6 games of crap have him on my, "Off With His Head" list.
What a sh*tshow! TT was a 10 point underdog and they moved the ball with a crap quarterback like they were a Top Ten team. Inexcusable.
And whoever said our CBs were going to be good is a known liar.
Tackling? Tackling? I thought you said, Tickling. -- was the answer of our defense this week.

Special Teams: Punting - D
I thought this guy was suppose to have a leg. Lieutenant Dan has a better leg than our guy.

Overall, this was another Gundy Stinker. There will be more because that's the best we can expect from our HC. Yes, he's done a lot for our program, but Gundy has peaked and not improving as a HC. He's turned the program into an inspiring Boys Club of building young boys into men, but he will be outcoached for a good 3-4 games per year.

I'm officially off the Gundy train because he seems more interested in proving something down the line instead of trying everything that day to win a football game.

CPTNQUIRK

I'm Your Captain!
A/V Subscriber
Nov 20, 2006
In the Boondocks in Creek County, Oklahoma
Don't bother watching the replay of the game unless you want to be PO'd for the rest of the day or two.
I, too, taped the game (as I do all Cowboy games), but immediately erased it hoping upon hope that it might ease my anger and frustration at staring at a possible repeat of last year's Gundy Brain-Fart Season.

For the life of me, the idea of last year's inability of Gundy to get at least some PT for Sanders to help eliminate the growth rate of our inevitable 2019 starting quarterback came back to add gasoline to a raging, Burning Man size fire that consumed all of the oxygen surrounding me.
Series blunder after series blunder, Sanders turnover after Sanders turnover, I railed against Gundy each and every time Sanders came off the sidelines instead of Brown to run the offense when each turnover saw the Cowboy's chances of a win get more and more distant.

I hoped today would give me a more concise and clear insight into the game, but I'm still PO'd. So, let's move on with the grades.

This was another one of those games that make me hate Gundy. After all of his talk about being energized and more "woke" about the team, he pulls out one of his headscratching, I'm-not-going-to-try-everything-to-win-a-game, nonchalant, games.

The team came out flat and remained flat until Hubbard took the whole team on his back too late.

OC & DC can be fired immediately and blamed on Gundy's weird hiring habits of going for no name, cheap coaches that can't do the job.
Gleeson is not showing anything, but he may be overruled by Gundy. We don't know. But what we do know is that we have no creativity in the offense at all. I don't see any of the Princeton offense he displayed as the Tiger OC. The jury is deliberating still, but the evidence doesn't support an acquittal.
The OLine was pathetic. I watched as Sanders scrambled, some fat OSU lineman stading around watching the freakin' game when he should have been looking for some Red Raider to block that was closing in on his quarterback. The OLine was pushed around like a sleepy baby in a stroller all day long.
All the good that was heaped upon them last week has now officially been removed and replaced with a stink so bad that only a skunk can appreciate.

Knowles -- FIRE HIM TODAY! Having one game that shows some improvement only to be followed by 5 or 6 games of crap have him on my, "Off With His Head" list.
What a sh*tshow! TT was a 10 point underdog and they moved the ball with a crap quarterback like they were a Top Ten team. Inexcusable.
Tackling? Tackling? I thought you said, Tickling. -- was the answer of our defense this week.

I thought this guy was suppose to have a leg. Lieutenant Dan has a better leg than our guy.

Overall, this was another Gundy Stinker. There will be more because that's the best we can expect from our HC. Yes, he's done a lot for our program, but Gundy has peaked and not improving as a HC. He's turned the program into an inspiring Boys Club of building young boys into men, but he will be outcoached for a good 3-4 games per year.

I'm officially off the Gundy train because he seems more interested in proving something down the line instead of trying everything that day to win a football game.
You do know that Brown was in a cast on his left hand and couldn’t play, don’t you?

CocoCincinnati

Federal Marshal
Feb 7, 2007
Tulsa, OK
Offense - F. Three 3 & outs and four TO's (including the TO on downs) in the first half. Against Tech. And we had another 3 & out on our 2nd possession of the 2nd half, you know after you were supposed to make adjustments. Our offensive coaching staff got their asses handed to them. One of those 3 & outs in particular stands out...screen left, screen right, incomplete on 3rd and long (-2 yards on the drive). Enough with the screens already. Those worked early in the year, opponents have watched film now, they aren't working. You can come back to them later after you have demonstrated an ability to throw the ball down the field. And once again, where were the TE's? On four occasions that I can remember, on 3rd and long, we ran what looked to be designed runs (one could have been a run/pass option). Seriously WTF is gong on with our offensive coaches. Where is this stable of WR's which is supposed to be among the best in the conference, if not the nation?

O-Line was absolutely dominated. Gave up 7 sacks. Against Tech. More than once, Tech rushed just 3 and was able to get pressure on Sanders and even sack him. That should not happen. O-Line has serious work to do. On that same topic, the RB's have even more work to do on picking up a block, one time Brown absolutely completely whiffed his guy and Sanders fumbled the ball as he was getting sacked. On that note, Sanders has got to take care of the football. 5 TO's by the QB cannot ever happen in a game again. Ever. I'll say it again, it would have been nice if Sanders could have gotten a few games experience last year. He's learning under fire this year. I still think he has potential to be great but he had a very bad outing yesterday.

Defense - C-. Might be a little generous here but considering what I said above (4 TO's, 3 three and outs in the 1st half), you have to give the defense credit that we were actually still in the game at halftime. They gave up too many chunk plays, and there were several plays where the receiver was open and the QB missed, but all in all, they played good the first half. The second half started going down hill......even when we started to score some TD's here and there in the 2nd half, I was never confident that we could get enough stops to catch up. And this from what amounted to maybe a 3rd string QB, who of course had a career day....so maybe should drop the grade to a D.

On that note, I suggest that we start holding candlelight vigils every Friday night to pray for the health and safety of every starting QB left on our schedule.

Special Teams - C. Kicker seems to be doing well. Hutton has very high potential but too inconsistent right now. Needs to kick further than the 18 yard line when trying to pin teams inside their 20....seriously coaches, work on that, oh wait, we don't have a special teams coach. Our kick off return and coverage units are both subpar.

One last comment. How hard is it to look at a roster, see two # 8's and assume that the WR, not the CB, is the one catching passes. Even the box score on okstate.com has Rodarius Williams listed with 2 catches.

Oct 7, 2012
Hey, I’m a koolade drinker and I thought the O line stunk. I’d give them a D. Other than than I agree with you completely. The koolade has lost its flavor.
I was Orange Kool-Aid drinker. Pretty much just gargle now.

IMO, HCMG is just phoning it in, coasting in, ROAD (retired on active duty) whatever you wanna call it. He’s comfortable being mediocre because that’s good enough. Luckily, most of college football is mediocre. We got excited about 8 years ago because we thought we were breaking in to being competitive at the high levels. Reality has settled in. Nothin wrong with being slightly above average. And that is ultimately what we pride ourselves on. Easy to be a OU fan, takes guts and backbone to keep showing up after seasons like last year and games like yesterday.

Orange to the bone

wrenhal

Territorial Marshal
Aug 11, 2011

You do know that Brown was in a cast on his left hand and couldn’t play, don’t you?
Then why on the radio were they saying that he was warming up on the sidelines in a way that they hadn't seen since the McNeese State game?

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

Oct 7, 2012
No, not to my knowledge. Are you implying that it is acceptable under certain circumstances?
No, I was just trying to be funny and to clean my cleats off on somebody to make me feel better about yesterday. Cuz that’s what this is for, isn’t it?:)

Sep 16, 2004
DFW
No, not to my knowledge. Are you implying that it is acceptable under certain circumstances?
It’s disappointing, but he’s a redshirt freshman with huge expectations placed on him, and he had the worst performance of his life. Hopefully it is an opportunity for him to learn and grow from the experience.