Sunday Morning Coaches - Week 6 (Out Walking About edition)

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.
Mar 11, 2006
It is true that two things can be correct. 1) the OL was bad and caused multiple sacks. 2) the extremely slow decision making and hesitancy to throw by the QB caused multiple sacks

And I would throw out a third: 3) the offense still performed good enough to win game if defense has a below average game instead of a bad game

Oct 30, 2007
It is true that two things can be correct. 1) the OL was bad and caused multiple sacks. 2) the extremely slow decision making and hesitancy to throw by the QB caused multiple sacks

And I would throw out a third: 3) the offense still performed good enough to win game if defense has a below average game instead of a bad game
Agreed, now all we need is a coaching staff to correct them.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

May 31, 2007
Edmond, OK
Yeah it’s clear that the OL and defense are hurting the team more than the QB. But, we probably don’t have better options waiting in the wings at OL or on defense. Even if Cornelius isn’t the biggest issue, he’s the only one we can really fix. A quick footed, quick thinking QB can make a bad OL look decent. This isn’t the NFL where ripping off a 4 win season is going to get you a better draft position. This team needs to find a way to get to 6 or 7 wins to keep program momentum going.

Oct 30, 2007
Offensively:
I came away really impressed with Cornelius. He had 4 passing touchdowns, 1 rushing touchdown, and only 1 interceptions. The interception came late in the game when we were forcing the ball downfield. Plus his stat line would've looked a lot better if Wallace would've caught the ball TC dropped perfectly in his hands. He did all this despite the fact he had to move on almost every play due to our offensive line.
Our offensive line was shockingly bad. They struggled against Texas Tech, but I though they bounced back against Kansas. They looked completely outmatched. They even struggled against 3 man fronts. That's going to have to improve or we may struggle to make a bowl game.

Defensively:
I don't even know where to start. I'm sure it was a shock to our team when they brought a mobile QB in. But you can't implode simply because you didn't practice a specific scheme in the previous week.
Our secondary got scorched. I'm not sure we have a single player in our defensive back seven that can consistently cover a wide receiver.
Our base rush defense was pretty good. We only gave up 56 yards to their running backs. But their mobile QB tore us apart. We looked like we had never defended a mobile QB before.
Coach Knowles and this staff have to be looking for answers today.

Special Teams:
Sinor has to catch that snap. There's no excuse for it. Hubbard is starting to develop into a decent kick returner.

Coaching:
It sure feels like we got outcoached for the second time in three weeks. Campbell certainly got more out of his team than Gundy did. I've always thought he maximized the talent he has.

The bottom line is pretty simple. Our defense and offensive line have to get better. This coaching staff has it's work cut out for them.

Oct 6, 2007
Piedmont, OK
I may have had an epiphany - or maybe just a nightmare. Could it be that Gundy just wouldn’t recognize a good defensive strategy if it kicked him in the mullet? He is, after all, an offense guy.

Jostate

CPTNQUIRK called me a greenhorn
A/V Subscriber
Jun 24, 2005
I may have had an epiphany - or maybe just a nightmare. Could it be that Gundy just wouldn’t recognize a good defensive strategy if it kicked him in the mullet? He is, after all, an offense guy.
He pays someone a little over half a million a year who is supposed to help him with that.