Sunday Morning Coaches - Week 6 (Out Walking About edition)

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

RxCowboy

Has no Rx for his orange obsession.
A/V Subscriber
Nov 8, 2004
Wishing I was in Stillwater
Sometimes I just don't have the heart.

Offense: C

I know that there are those who are clamoring for one of the backup quarterbacks. You're wrong. I really don't care if you agree with me or not. Cornelius did not play badly yesterday. I listen to the radio broadcast during the games with the sound down on the TV and Dave and John both said that the loss wasn't on Cornelius who spent most the day running for his life. Yes, there were a couple of sacks where he held onto the ball. There were coverage sacks. There were whiff sacks - the corner blitz in the 4th quarter Hubbard dove at the corner's feet. There were lookout sacks - the offensive linemen turned around and yelled "look out!" Our offensive line was outmatched against their defensive front, it was really that simple. Changing quarterbacks wasn't going to change that. There were almost constant drive killers. At the start of our 6th drive in the first half Dave mentioned that we had penalties on 4 of our first 5 drives, the only one we didn't have a penalty on was our opening drive where we scored. Ball snapped when TC wasn't ready. Two perfectly placed balls in the 4th quarter dropped, or we might've been able to complete our come back. In previous years those balls were caught. Wallace, ya gotta catch that. If ya wanna be big time, ya just gotta catch that. <really big sigh> The running game was never able to really get untracked, their defensive front was really good. Still, they're averaging giving up 20 ppg and we managed to score 42 on them. That should've been enough to win. Except for...

Defense: F-
I said after the Boise State game that I needed a larger sample size that N=1 before accepting that our defense was great. I wish I had been wrong. Our secondary is simply terrible, and in a pass-happy league like the Big 12 that is a YUGE problem. I am sick to death of seeing our coverage never, ever locate the ball. Ever. I am sick to death of making another team's backup quarterback look like Tom freaking Brady in his prime. We gave up 48 points to a team that came into the game averaging 17.5. The entire defensive staff needs to be made to walk through Stillwater nude with a woman walking behind them saying "Shame!" with every step and people pelting them with feces and rotten vegetables. And Tim Duffie needs to be replaced. Replaced as soon as possible. Like before the next game, if possible. Letting a receiver get behind us for a 60 yard bomb in the 4th quarter when we're desperately trying to mount a comeback... well, I just can't think of a punishment severe enough for the defensive staff for not being ready for Iowa State looking for a knock-out blow. They kept mentioning on the radio broadcast that we were seeing formations that Iowa State hadn't shown all year, with a true freshman quarterback. Our defensive coaching staff never adjusted. Pathetic.

Special teams: C
The muffed snap by Sinor that led to the safety appears to me to be the single thing that swung momentum in the game. We never recaptured it. Otherwise, we're finally getting some return yards out of Hubbard on kickoffs, which is nice so it looks like those issues were addressed. We recovered their muffed punt, which was nice.

We'd better beat Kansas State and Baylor. Otherwise six wins and a bowl might be difficult to find.

Last edited:

Well

Wrangler
A/V Subscriber
Dec 17, 2009
Coaching: F-

Sanders and/or Brown need the reps. With the way its looking, this season may be short; the change needs to happen immediately.

Nov 25, 2009
Kedah Malaysia
Coaching: F-

Sanders and/or Brown need the reps. With the way its looking, this season may be short; the change needs to happen immediately.
The change at QB helps little except giving Sanders extra experience and potential exposure to injury.

We need to correct issues at OLs and DBs, and these are the priority.
Cannot win many game with OLs getting dominated while jumping offside or holding on every series.

....and DBs needed to hold onto their receivers to avoid getting burned.

I somewhat missed the old "bend but break" defense in comparison to this "Blitz and break" ?

...way way too many big plays given.

48 points given to Iowa State? ....and you are calling for the QB head?

jetman

Federal Marshal
Nov 27, 2004
Edmond Oklahoma
Offensive line F----------------(×1,000,000,000). I don't care about all the cupboard bare talk for like the 8th year in a row. We're halfway into the season and by now, some of these guys should've been able to be coached up. What the hell do they do in practice all week? Every damn snap, Corndog was running from 4 white jerseys. I think that's the most pathetic offensive line performance I've ever seen in my life. 7 sacks.

Jostate

CPTNQUIRK called me a greenhorn
A/V Subscriber
Jun 24, 2005
Sometimes I just don't have the heart.

Offense: C

I know that there are those who are clamoring for one of the backup quarterbacks. You're wrong. I really don't care if you agree with me or not. Cornelius did not play badly yesterday. I listen to the radio broadcast during the games with the sound down on the TV and Dave and John both said that the loss wasn't on Cornelius who spent most the day running for his life. Yes, there were a couple of sacks where he held onto the ball. There were coverage sacks. There were whiff sacks - the corner blitz in the 4th quarter Hubbard dove at the corner's feet. There were lookout sacks - the offensive linemen turned around and yelled "look out!" Our offensive line was outmatched against their defensive front, it was really that simple. Changing quarterbacks wasn't going to change that. There were almost constant drive killers. At the start of our 6th drive in the first half Dave mentioned that we had penalties on 4 of our first 5 drives, the only one we didn't have a penalty on was our opening drive where we scored. Ball snapped when TC wasn't ready. Two perfectly placed balls in the 4th quarter dropped, or we might've been able to complete our come back. In previous years those balls were caught. Wallace, ya gotta catch that. If ya wanna be big time, ya just gotta catch that. <really big sigh> The running game was never able to really get untracked, their defensive front was really good. Still, they're averaging giving up 20 ppg and we managed to score 42 on them. That should've been enough to win. Except for...

Defense: F-
I said after the Boise State game that I needed a larger sample size that N=1 before accepting that our defense was great. I wish I had been wrong. Our secondary is simply terrible, and in a pass-happy league like the Big 12 that is a YUGE problem. I am sick to death of seeing our coverage never, ever locate the ball. Ever. I am sick to death of making another team's backup quarterback look like Tom freaking Brady in his prime. We gave up 48 points to a team that came into the game averaging 17.5. The entire defensive staff needs to be made to walk through Stillwater nude with a woman walking behind them saying "Shame!" with every step and people pelting them with feces and rotten vegetables. And Tim Duffie needs to be replaced. Replaced as soon as possible. Like before the next game, if possible. Letting a receiver get behind us for a 60 yard bomb in the 4th quarter when we're desperately trying to mount a comeback... well, I just can't think of a punishment severe enough for the defensive staff for not being ready for Iowa State looking for a knock-out blow. They kept mentioning on the radio broadcast that we were seeing formations that Iowa State hadn't shown all year, with a true freshman quarterback. Our defensive coaching staff never adjusted. Pathetic.

Special teams: C
The muffed snap by Sinor that led to the safety appears to me to be the single thing that swung momentum in the game. We never recaptured it. Otherwise, we're finally getting some return yards out of Hubbard on kickoffs, which is nice so it looks like those issues were addressed. We recovered their muffed punt, which was nice.

We'd better beat Kansas State and Baylor. Otherwise six wins and a bowl might be difficult to find.
The worst in our team seems to have brought out the best in you. I laughed, I cried, it was better than Cats.

Rack

Federal Marshal
Oct 13, 2004
Earth
Agree with the assessment that this loss is both on the defensive backs and the oline and their respective coaches. How do they fix it? I don't know but it needs to be fixed prior to us not winning two more games and making the least acceptable result possible (i.e. make a bowl). KSU on the road in never easy...we are going to need to have a good gameplan and execute well on both offense and defense. It seems teams that don't run the spread typically are switching on us because they know we can't defend it...We need to learn to defend it quick or we are in for a short season. My biggest fear is that KSU may also have some freshmen phenom QB that they haven't played yet like ISU did and are just saving him to feast on our lousy DB's.

Last edited:

Jostate

CPTNQUIRK called me a greenhorn
A/V Subscriber
Jun 24, 2005
Iowa State adjusted their game plan to exploit our weaknesses which caught our coaches totally off guard. That would bother me less if not for the fact we actually started the game by looking like the far better team. Our coaches really responded like they had never been faced with in game decisions before in their life.

Some things aren't on the coaching staff, like Sinor missing a snap that was so perfect it hit him in the face or Wallace dropping a pass that was perfectly lofted into his arms. But much of that game, on both sides of the ball, we seemed to be playing to the Iowa State team they saw on tape last week, with NO adjustment for the team on the field all day Saturday.

At the end of the day, in the most simple terms, when you lose to a team that has demonstrated all season they have a solid Defense and no Offense by a score of 48-42, the blame has to fall mostly on our D.

Last edited:
Sep 16, 2004
DFW
It seems teams that don't run the spread typically are switching on us because they know we can't defend it...We need to learn to defend it quick or we are in for a short season.
There's an old joke - um... two elderly women are at a Catskill mountain resort, and one of 'em says, "Boy, the food at this place is really terrible." The other one says, "Yeah, I know; and such small portions." Well, that's essentially how I feel about life - full of loneliness, and misery, and suffering, and unhappiness, and it's all over much too quickly.
Woody Allen, Annie Hall

Sep 12, 2013
Broken Arrow, OK
If the blitz were the flu our offense won't get sick all winter!!!

The offensive play calling was atrocious. We did nothing to slow down the blitz, except for one drive, and then we went back to the same old crap!

Oct 7, 2015
St. Elmo, CO
The team as a team gets an F-.

Let's start at the top:
Gundy - F Not having your team ready for a home game is becoming a tired tradition. Over the last two seasons we have a crap record. The team comes out seemingly flat at home and that falls on Gundy. You've become too stubborn and convinced of the positive press clippings.
Your stubborness to use whatever weapons we have -- just to try something to win a game -- are becoming terrifically annoying and bothersome.
I cannot count the number of times teams have come into our house and played a freshman or untested quarterback only to have that quarterback come away with All-American consideration as he rips through our new defens or an experienced defense. It has been the bane of your existence.

“Guys were back on their heels. That's what the quarterback run game does. It worked for them.”
Purdy's first six rushes went for 63 yards, none shorter than five yards.
“It's really just annoying. Unexpected,” OSU defensive end Jordan Brailford said. “You gotta know where your teammates are. You gotta know which way you can miss and which way you need to lead him. You can't really go in there full blazes.” -- ISU game quotes

It seems that other coaches in the Big 12 can teach their freshman quarterbacks to be ready to play Big 12 football, but our headcoach and OC.
Are we only recruiting immature, slow learning, untalented quarterbacks that can't seem to figure out how to play at this speed? Although we have several freshman that are smart enough to contribute elsewhere, the quarterbacks at OSU can't seem to grasp our 6 play offensive scheme.

Now, I realize that Gundy has a love affair with the TC story. It fits Gundy's "OSU Culture" narrative. Sometimes I think Gundy is more enamored in his "OSU Culture" than taking the steps to win games.

Corndog didn't do anything to cause that loss to Iowa State, but sometimes the entire team needs a spark, a true leader, an energy that takes the entire team -- offense and defense -- to new, higher levels of performance.
Whether or not putting Brown or Spencer in to test that theory is apparently out of the question for Gundy until it's too late to save the season.
Must we have 4 losses before Gundy takes a chance at a new chemistry? My guess is YES. My guess is Gundy would rather ruin another season to preserve his pride and the confidence of one kid that "has done everything right and everything we've asked him to do".
Did you ask him to step aside if it meant a chance to give someone else and opportunity to salvage the season?!

Yurcich gets a pass this week. He's running a "C" for the season with poor line play that isn't his fault, but he has to come up with something creative now that the line has proven it's a liability. The offense is boring and predictable. I'm not blaming Yurcich for not being better. Sometimes you reach a ceiling with your ability.

Henson - "F" -- Just when you think you've fixed a big leak in the dike with a good recruiter, you spring another leak somewhere else.
The OLine is not following good coaching protocol by improving with each practice and game. It seems lost and it's costing us losses. Even mild mannered, asleep-at-the-game day-wheel, Mike Gundy, is getting perturbed on the sideline. That's huge indicator that the clock is ticking on your tenure here at Oklahoma State University. When you've gone so far as to piss off Gundy, you probably have what it takes to piss off a Bill Snyder, too.
You'd better call the wife and tell her you're putting in some overtime at work for a few weeks, Henson, and get this fixed STAT.

Special Teams -- Sinor's miff started the "Oh, no. Here we go again!" momentum going. Special teams had some good and some bad things, but it's still a scary play when it's their time to shine.......or not.
But, Gundy's getting concerned about it enough to comment on it weekly. Imagine if we actually could count on our ST.

I feel sorry for Justice Hill, JD King, Hubbard and LD for having to rely on a poor OLine and OC misuse. Hill is a warrior. In fact, all of the backs are warriors. They're just being wasted in a horribly coached season.

The disappointment of a season slipping away is here again. The loss of confidence in our coach's ability to correct mistakes, make adjustments in schemes and personnel and do what it takes to win each and every game is the most difficult pill to swallow.

The season is staring to smell like a 4-5 loss season. Losing two HOME GAMES to two FRESHMEN QUARTERBACKS who will, after our game, come back to Earth is so perplexing and vexing.

Jun 20, 2012
Newsflash: our head coach isn’t very bright (if the mullet didn’t tell you already). How many clock blunders does it take for people to realize he mismanages other aspects of the game as well?

Birry

Federal Marshal
Feb 6, 2007
Landlocked
Newsflash: our head coach isn’t very bright (if the mullet didn’t tell you already). How many clock blunders does it take for people to realize he mismanages other aspects of the game as well?
I've said it for years - he's a really good (not great) program manager, but his in-game management is well below average. And the latter appears unlikely to improve.

PokeJ

Sheriff
Oct 27, 2003
McKinney, TX
Visit site
The team as a team gets an F-.

Let's start at the top:
Gundy - F Not having your team ready for a home game is becoming a tired tradition. Over the last two seasons we have a crap record. The team comes out seemingly flat at home and that falls on Gundy. You've become too stubborn and convinced of the positive press clippings.
Your stubborness to use whatever weapons we have -- just to try something to win a game -- are becoming terrifically annoying and bothersome.
I cannot count the number of times teams have come into our house and played a freshman or untested quarterback only to have that quarterback come away with All-American consideration as he rips through our new defens or an experienced defense. It has been the bane of your existence.

“Guys were back on their heels. That's what the quarterback run game does. It worked for them.”
Purdy's first six rushes went for 63 yards, none shorter than five yards.
“It's really just annoying. Unexpected,” OSU defensive end Jordan Brailford said. “You gotta know where your teammates are. You gotta know which way you can miss and which way you need to lead him. You can't really go in there full blazes.” -- ISU game quotes

It seems that other coaches in the Big 12 can teach their freshman quarterbacks to be ready to play Big 12 football, but our headcoach and OC.
Are we only recruiting immature, slow learning, untalented quarterbacks that can't seem to figure out how to play at this speed? Although we have several freshman that are smart enough to contribute elsewhere, the quarterbacks at OSU can't seem to grasp our 6 play offensive scheme.

Now, I realize that Gundy has a love affair with the TC story. It fits Gundy's "OSU Culture" narrative. Sometimes I think Gundy is more enamored in his "OSU Culture" than taking the steps to win games.

Corndog didn't do anything to cause that loss to Iowa State, but sometimes the entire team needs a spark, a true leader, an energy that takes the entire team -- offense and defense -- to new, higher levels of performance.
Whether or not putting Brown or Spencer in to test that theory is apparently out of the question for Gundy until it's too late to save the season.
Must we have 4 losses before Gundy takes a chance at a new chemistry? My guess is YES. My guess is Gundy would rather ruin another season to preserve his pride and the confidence of one kid that "has done everything right and everything we've asked him to do".
Did you ask him to step aside if it meant a chance to give someone else and opportunity to salvage the season?!

Yurcich gets a pass this week. He's running a "C" for the season with poor line play that isn't his fault, but he has to come up with something creative now that the line has proven it's a liability. The offense is boring and predictable. I'm not blaming Yurcich for not being better. Sometimes you reach a ceiling with your ability.

Henson - "F" -- Just when you think you've fixed a big leak in the dike with a good recruiter, you spring another leak somewhere else.
The OLine is not following good coaching protocol by improving with each practice and game. It seems lost and it's costing us losses. Even mild mannered, asleep-at-the-game day-wheel, Mike Gundy, is getting perturbed on the sideline. That's huge indicator that the clock is ticking on your tenure here at Oklahoma State University. When you've gone so far as to piss off Gundy, you probably have what it takes to piss off a Bill Snyder, too.
You'd better call the wife and tell her you're putting in some overtime at work for a few weeks, Henson, and get this fixed STAT.

Special Teams -- Sinor's miff started the "Oh, no. Here we go again!" momentum going. Special teams had some good and some bad things, but it's still a scary play when it's their time to shine.......or not.
But, Gundy's getting concerned about it enough to comment on it weekly. Imagine if we actually could count on our ST.

I feel sorry for Justice Hill, JD King, Hubbard and LD for having to rely on a poor OLine and OC misuse. Hill is a warrior. In fact, all of the backs are warriors. They're just being wasted in a horribly coached season.

The disappointment of a season slipping away is here again. The loss of confidence in our coach's ability to correct mistakes, make adjustments in schemes and personnel and do what it takes to win each and every game is the most difficult pill to swallow.

The season is staring to smell like a 4-5 loss season. Losing two HOME GAMES to two FRESHMEN QUARTERBACKS who will, after our game, come back to Earth is so perplexing and vexing.
I agree with everything you said. However if you believed the preseason rankings this season always smelled like a 4-5 loss season.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feb 18, 2009
Iowa’s State was better at running the offense we used to say we run. Get in space, find advantages, exploit them. That was the recipe all the way up to Shiphimback state hire. We have abandoned it in favor of this garbage? It’s not an o line issue, it’s a scheme issue and the guy executing it. The o line issues are exacerbated by the scheme and head scratching play calls.

We’ve been lit up by two freshmen. We have one in the pen and another QB who has played at this level. If either can read a defense, I don’t care if they only know 2 of our 6 plays. Yesterday I called their defense multiple times a series. You knew where the blitz was coming from, where they would go and could easily see where to beat it. I’m a nobody sitting hundreds of miles away. Our multi million dollar staff can’t do that? When we had an advantage in presnap alignment we found success. If they changed anything in their formation, we were screwed. And that says nothing of the plays where we were at a disadvantage presnap and ran the dumb play anyway. We set up our biggest weakness to fail instead of protecting against said weakness and exploring strengths elsewhere.

Same goes on defense. You knew where ISU would go because they were doing what we used to, exploiting mismatches. They were glaring. The TD run up the middle on 3rd and long was a gift. We literally removed everyone from that area and you could tell we would do it before the snap even happened. If I could post fast enough on the game thread I would look clairvoyant 70% of the game. And I’m not the only one.

Holder said recruit better. I agree if this is what we’re going to put out there. We’re never going to be good enough to strap it up and roll out and beat people with a pulse. We had a great business model that was returning gains on the investment and we changed it?!?!? It worked for Mason but he’s in the league now. We can’t bank on getting an NFL qb every class. We can bank on getting enough athletes to make life hard on the opponent because we get the ball in space and turn them loose. I remember when I never felt like we were out of a game and I knew going in you would have to score 50 to beat us. Yesterday I felt like we were out of the game before half. Defense was getting exploited and the offense couldn’t answer in any meaningful way.

Defense is what it is. Has to be part of the culture Gundy speaks about at this point. He’s never had a defense or coach long term that didn’t produce theses exact results. That’s not knowles or Spencer or Clay or anyone else. Can’t keep getting the same results and boil it down to just one coordinator.

ST - geez. I will say I’d rather see Chuba take a chance every time he catches it. Other than that. Id like to skip all other ST plays.

CocoCincinnati

Federal Marshal
Feb 7, 2007
Tulsa, OK
Special Teams. Another game, another week asking when is Gundy going to hire a special teams coordinator. A safety on a punt and another kickoff out of bounds. That's four in half a season.....we shouldn't have four of those in an entire season. This is getting ridiculous.

Defense. When I found out before the game that both their starting QB and starting RB were out, I joked that we have made 2nd and 3rd string QB's look like Heisman contenders in the past....turns out that it wasn't a joking matter but rather a very prophetic statement. Even Akron held these guys to 26 points. We are very vulnerable to screens and the middle of the field is still open way too often. The CB's may play up on the receivers but the safeties are still 10 yards back so when they have multiple receivers to either side and throw the screen, the CB has to make an incredible play to beat the block and stop it (which they have done a few times) or it goes for positive yardage (happening with much more frequency). Tech absolutely abused us with this and ISU apparently watched the film.

I'm still very optimistic about the front 6 of this defense but something has to change with the defensive backs.....is it scheme, giving different personnel a shot, moving starters to different positions? I don't know. I said last week that we need to give Knowles some time and I stand by that for now but you've got to show us some signs of life here....ISU almost matched their total season point total in one game against us, again with key starters out.

Offense. That was one of the worst offensive line performances I've seen in years. And it's not like ISU was a sack machine coming in...they had 6 total sacks through 4 games but added 7 against us (and 16 total TFL's). I don't care about the excuses about the Oline, other coordinators find a way around limitations like that, besides I refuse to believe that Akron can recruit better Olinemen than we can, which means the problem lies with coaching or scheme or system. There has got to be some kind of quick reads or misdirection plays in our system that we could run. If there isn't then I want to know why, if there is, then either TC isn't reading the pressure and making the change or can't complete the pass. If I was a future opponent, I would bring pressure all game long because TC does not react well to it and Hill can't break tackles forever.

Penalties seem to be getting worse.

Apr 14, 2018
Owasso
I know that there are those who are clamoring for one of the backup quarterbacks. You're wrong. I really don't care if you agree with me or not.
It wouldn't solve the o line problems. However, if we're gonna lose every game anyway, why not? What is there to lose? Try them out, and if neither can provide a spark, save the redshirts and we could at least say we tried.
A good QB can help mask o line issues, that is undeniable. Look at Aaron Rodgers. They give him a crap team year after year and he carries them single handedly. In week 1 or 2 this season, Rodgers was temporarily out of the game due to injury and the o line couldn't block worth a crap for the other QB. Rodgers goes back in the game and they magically start blocking better. QB is the most important position and having the right one out there can have a ripple effect like that. Like 2014 when they suddenly started blocking better for Rudolph.
Yes the team has a lot of problems overall, but with a good QB taking snaps it would definitely make a difference.