Sunday Morning Coaches - Week 4, Vegan edition

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

RxCowboy

Has no Rx for his orange obsession.
A/V Subscriber
Nov 8, 2004
Wishing I was in Stillwater
The story of this game comes down to the front lines on both sides of the ball. We had a difficult time getting space for Hubbard, Sanders was pressured pretty consistently in the second half, and our defensive front posted zero sacks and got little pressure on Ehlinger.

Offense: C+
Sanders is going to be special. He's going to lead us to the promised land if we can keep him healthy (the promised land being a conference championship and shot at the CFP). He threw some balls into some very tight windows for completions. Then again, he threw some balls into tight windows that he shouldn't have thrown, especially a couple of times when he had open field in front of him to take off and run. He's a r-Freshman making his first conference road start in DKR Stadium. The mistakes are forgivable. The o-line has to play better. We had a very difficult time creating space and cut-back lanes for Hubbard. If Hubbard takes that kind of pounding in a couple of more games then he won't last the season. We had several drive-killer penalties in the second half after having none in the first half.

Defense: D
Zero pressure on Ehlinger. They ran on us way better than I would have liked. Still, in the second half they got stops to give us opportunities to score and put us in a position to win the game, but the offense didn't produce.

Special Teams: F
This is an F for one reason and one reason only - the fake field goal. Watching that I can't imagine how that was supposed to work. Woods was running into the teeth of the rush. If you want to fake you have to get outside of the rush to have a chance. Otherwise, the grade for the ST would be in the C+ or B-, depending on how generous I feel. But, good lord that fake field goal was awful. Poorly designed, poorly executed.

We had our chances to win and came up short. I expect us to lose a game or two this season because Sanders plays a game like a freshman and costs us. That isn't what happened in this one.

CPTNQUIRK

I'm Your Captain!
A/V Subscriber
Nov 20, 2006
In the Boondocks in Creek County, Oklahoma
You forgot coaching. Give them a D for stupid play calling. As I posted in the game thread.
The coaches gave this game away with watered down vanilla play calling. We made twice as many yards per pass attempt compared to rushing attempt yet we kept banging away trying to run about 70% more times on the ground. Why didn’t we do more of what was working?

We had zero, no, nada passing touchdowns because we hardly attempted any. Texas had four. Texas kept stuffing the interior line all evening yet we kept trying to run there. Insanity! Was Pat Jones calling the plays? What happened to the “we’ll take what the defense gives us” philosophy on offense? Texas was wasn’t giving us anything inside but we kept trying to go there. I’m pissed at the play calling more than anything. Mistakes cost us but the play calling cost us a lot more.

Nov 1, 2009
Dallas
What’s funny is reading ut fans’ perception of this game. We’re sooo lucky this game wasn’t a blowout...Texas fans make it hard for me to cheer them on in the RRR

CPTNQUIRK

I'm Your Captain!
A/V Subscriber
Nov 20, 2006
In the Boondocks in Creek County, Oklahoma
What’s funny is reading ut fans’ perception of this game. We’re sooo lucky this game wasn’t a blowout...Texas fans make it hard for me to cheer them on in the RRR
We need to be Texas fans in the Red River Shootout. Screw political correctness. It’s the RRS. And we need to beat OU. I want a rematch with Texas in the conference championship game. By the end of the season they won’t have any defensive players left due to injuries.

Jan 1, 2008
Coaching lost this game before it started. Offense did better than expected when we all knew we would run it up the middle over and over and over again. Defense can only do so much with three down linemen. I looked up the word hubris in the dictionary and there was a picture of Gundy

oks10

Territorial Marshal
A/V Subscriber
Sep 9, 2007
Piedmont, OK
We need to be Texas fans in the Red River Shootout. Screw political correctness. It’s the RRS. And we need to beat OU. I want a rematch with Texas in the conference championship game. By the end of the season they won’t have any defensive players left due to injuries.
I pull for Texas every year anyways so not much changing for me.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

wrenhal

Territorial Marshal
Aug 11, 2011
The fake field goal. The holder should have got up and rolled to the outside with woods. Then pitched it or ran behind a blocker for the first down.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

Jostate

CPTNQUIRK called me a greenhorn
A/V Subscriber
Jun 24, 2005
A couple of statistical items that quantify what we all saw last night:

On 9 plays run within the UT 10 we attempted 0 passes. On the first 21 snaps from the UT 22, or closer, we attempted 2 passes.

We've got too much skill at QB and receiver to be so 1 dimensional about our attack. We did finally see a couple of throws to the TE (I think 2). We completed both for an 11 yard average.

Rack

Legendary Cowboy
Oct 13, 2004
Earth
We need to forget about that and beat KSU.

Feb 18, 2009
We could’ve made a living off using the tight end on any of those short distance downs. **Adjust play calling and strategy.**

How can people be wide open when you only rush three and drop eight? **Adjust whatever you want, this is who we are on defense. Always will be.**

Zero RPO’s on any of those short down distance plays. Just hand off up the middle, nothing on the edge. **Adjust play calling and strategy.**

Someone on the opposite side of the field of Wallace has to become a consistent threat à la Marcel Ateman. **Adjust play calling and strategy to make this a focus. Too many weapons to be able to bracket Tylan all game. Someone else has to give the DB’s to be honest which opens up everything else we want to do.**

CocoCincinnati

Federal Marshal
Feb 7, 2007
Tulsa, OK
I'm so mad at the coaching in this game I barely know where to start....one of the worst coached games in the Gundy Era. The players played hard and had a very good chance to win that game despite the poor coaching.

Special Teams continue to be a joke, this is on Gundy, 100% his fault.

Six trips into the red zone plus 2 other trips inside UT's 30, and in all 8 of those possessions there was exactly ONE (1) pass attempt into the endzone. One.

Both lines have a lot of work to do.....12 TFL's for UT, 3 for OSU. The O-Line did give Sanders some time on pass plays but the run blocking was not good. I realize that UT was baiting us into the run by only showing 5 in the box and would then move other players up....coaches need to figure out a way to address that, this is NOT the first time UT has done that to us. I also realize we were only rushing 3 most of the night but if you are going to give up 300 yards and 4 TD through the air anyway, maybe you should bring some more pressure.

Sanders played very well for the most part, he has an extremely bright future at OSU. Made a few mistakes but that is expected in a young player who had only 10 quarters of D1 experience heading into this game. I'll probably get blasted for saying this but how nice would it be if he could have got some game experience last year. I look forward to great things from him in the future.

Chuba ran hard but he had guys in his face as soon as he got the ball, seems like all night. I can't believe we don't have a serviceable RB2 to throw out there to give Chuba some rest, I think he played all but one possession....correct me if I'm wrong.

Tylan was doubled all night, Dave said on the broadcast, and I agree, that the WR spot on the other side should have been more involved, we've got some talent there (and a lot of height) so not sure why we didn't go there more, especially in the red zone.

Why do we even have a Cowboy back position? We rarely use them in the passing game and I almost never see us bring in a "FB" to lead block for Chuba. We have used a "TE" to seal the edge quite a bit in earlier games but we either went away form that last night, or it just wasn't effective. That pass to Woods over the middle early on should have been there more than just once but we never went back to it. Texas only had 11 players on the field, if they were doubling Tylan and bringing an extra guy up to stop Chuba, then somebody had to have single coverage down field.

Oct 7, 2012
I tend to agree with that sentiment. If I remember correctly, Pokes got 14 points off of short field muffed punts.

Jostate

CPTNQUIRK called me a greenhorn
A/V Subscriber
Jun 24, 2005
I tend to agree with that sentiment. If I remember correctly, Pokes got 14 points off of short field muffed punts.
Actually I don't think we did, but should have. The point is the same either way, Texas helped us plenty.

Sep 22, 2011
Too much forcing the ball to hubbard, not enough moving tylan around to create space, i think the defense played well all things considered. This game is a few turnovers away from a blowout. Hopefully this is a chance for Gundy and co to figure out to not force things anymore

Feb 5, 2007
#40 is out of position. He needs to put a hand in the ground. Trace Ford should be starting in that spot. He'll take his lumps, but he will make more plays.

Oct 22, 2008
Austin, Tx
They’re right. If they can field a punt, they probably blow us out. They played like crap and Gundy blew a golden opportunity. Now instead of being the talk of CFB for the next week, it’s going to be another season of fighting for bowl eligibility.

Oct 30, 2007
Offense: C-
I was greatly disappointed by our offensive line. I knew that Texas would make plays in the trenches, but I didn't think that their defensive line would dominate the LOS. Sanders was a gunslinger. He extended a drive early on a ball he shouldn't have thrown, and he threw an interception later in the game on a ball that he shouldn't have thrown. He showed a lot of flashes of greatness, but he also showed that he was a freshman as well. It was really frustrating to see us run Hubbard into a brick wall over & over again.

Defense: C+
I hated the way that we played with an empty box in the first half. It felt like we were perfectly content with letting Texas run the ball down our throats to minimize the big play. It felt like we were just hoping for a turnover or to be able to stop them at the goal line. I hate that castrated brand of playcalling. I thought that the defense bounced back & played a little better in the 2nd half though. They did give up 13 points, but they also had an interception that gave our offense the ball in field goal range. It's too bad that we squandered that opportunity. There's no excuse for losing Ehlinger on that final 3rd down play.

Special teams: B+
I was impressed by the onside kick late in the game. This is a lost art, and we had a very good opportunity to recover it. The muffed kicks are on the Texas punt returners, but we had gunners in place to recover them. Ammendola got the job done on his field goal opportunities. The fake field goal was a terrible call. I don't think Woods would've gotten the 1st down even if he caught the ball cleanly.

Coaching: D-
This was the most disappointing area of the game for me. Playcalling was terrible on both sides of the ball. Coach Gundy said earlier in the week that we had to take what Texas gave us offensively. He said at halftime that they were daring us to throw the ball. Despite all of that, we still leaned heavily on the run. If felt like he was afraid to let Sanders try to beat them through the air.

We always look at our own flaws, but we need to give some credit to Texas. They've steadily gotten better under Herman. I wouldn't be shocked if they won the league this year. We've got to move past this loss and get ready for K-State. We can still have a really good year in spite of this loss.

Nov 1, 2009
Dallas
They’re right. If they can field a punt, they probably blow us out. They played like crap and Gundy blew a golden opportunity. Now instead of being the talk of CFB for the next week, it’s going to be another season of fighting for bowl eligibility.
We left 10-20 points off the field as well.. we wouldn’t be in any CFP talks If we had won anyway... not until late nov anyway