Sunday Morning Coaches - Week 4 (Sand kicked in our faces Edition)

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

Rack

Federal Marshal
Oct 13, 2004
Earth
Yep. Our defense is fine. Our offense and stupid fumbles killed our momentum. The defense was out there the entire game because our QB couldn’t complete a freaking 10 yard pass and our coach just wanted chunk it deep every other play killing a down.

Bottom line, if you can’t score more than 17 against Texas tech then you have huge offensive problem. It’s clear that we have a QB problem. The only person that doesn’t understand or acknowledge it is coach Mike Gundy
I actually thought we had a chance if they had modified the offensive game plan like they did last week vs Boise...but for some reason they tossed that out the window and we ran what I'm going to deem "chuck and duck" all game long. Gundy's comments about wanting Corndog to slide from now on should have been a clue that he wasn't going to allow any more modification of the system. With all his strengths, I do think his weakness is that he sticks his nose into OC and DC things too much on games where he feels the "need"...and not enough into special teams ( he also said last week he was giving special teams back to the coaches) after he spent the entire prior week working with them...bad idea as we saw last night.

This one was indeed on the coaches as Gundy admitted...it was mostly on THE coach, which he didn't really admit. My hope is that we don't burn down the entire season just for Ego's sake and we make whatever changes are necessary to salvage it (8 wins or more with the bowl). That was our worst home performance in a long time so its sort of still a bit fresh, but this is squarely on coach Gundy. If we lose at KU all hell will break loose and it should. Hopefully he will spend the time necessary to fix it this week so we don't have to see that.

Oct 12, 2006
No excuses. DID NOT play. WAS NOT coached ( yes, Yursh*t, you are STILL not a Big Boy Brain!). NOT prepared for a battle. This is what to expect with #35 ranked recruiting and lack luster performance reading the tabloids. 6-5 maybe because the storm is coming in the schedule! If possible, enjoy the lawn mower bowl.

stonewallpoke

가라
A/V Subscriber
Nov 19, 2007
Gunsan City, Korea
F's. F's all around. Miserable game. Uniforms sucked. Offense sucked. Defense and special teams sucked. Coaching adjustments nil. Hated it. Ugh.

Still probably will win 8-9 games. We all know we find a way to blow one game we have no business losing, and this certainly fits the profile. This was just a bad all-around day. Sometimes you have a bad day.

On to Kansas.

wrenhal

Territorial Marshal
Aug 11, 2011
I blame it all on the gawd-awful grey uniforms.
As someone else sarcastically pointed out those help to carry us to a top 40 recruiting class.

Half a billion in stadium upgrades, one of the best indoor practice facilities, the rant, the mullet, more changes of clothes than my wife has, all supposed to be big boosts to recruiting. This all adds up to a 30 somethingth ranked class every year.

Apologies to @RxCowboy who asked that we avoid this exact kind of bitching in this thread.
No, grey uniforms do not have to be part of our rotation. Even if they solved the issue of not being able to read the numbers, they still sucked.

Sent from my stang5litre Edition 5.0 using Tapatalk

RxCowboy

Has no Rx for his orange obsession.
A/V Subscriber
Nov 8, 2004
Wishing I was in Stillwater
Yep. Our defense is fine.
There is a difference between expecting our defense to give up 40ish and not bashing them for it and "our defense is fine." That wasn't fine defense in any way, shape, or form. We let a true freshman shred us and look like Tom freaking Brady (well, not this year's Tom Brady).

cowboyethics344

Federal Marshal
Apr 2, 2008
There is a difference between expecting our defense to give up 40ish and not bashing them for it and "our defense is fine." That wasn't fine defense in any way, shape, or form. We let a true freshman shred us and look like Tom freaking Brady (well, not this year's Tom Brady).
It was just fine. That true freshman would have put up over 40 on a lot of teams not just OSU especially when the offense is playing like trash. Our offense did this to themselves. Texas tech puts up these kinds of numbers against SEC defenses. The difference is that the other offenses move the ball on Texas Tech. We run the ball 9 times and expect to beat Tech by throwing terrible passes down field.... puhleease!

RxCowboy

A/V Subscriber
Nov 8, 2004
It was just fine. That true freshman would have put up over 40 on a lot of teams not just OSU especially when the offense is playing like trash. Our offense did this to themselves. Texas tech puts up these kinds of numbers against SEC defenses. The difference is that the other offenses move the ball on Texas Tech. We run the ball 9 times and expect to beat Tech by throwing terrible passes down field.... puhleease!
Sure, a lot of teams suck on defense. I want our defense to be better than that. You can accept as "just fine" whatever you want. I disagree.

cowboyethics344

Federal Marshal
Apr 2, 2008
Sure, a lot of teams suck on defense. I want our defense to be better than that. You can accept as "just fine" whatever you want. I disagree.
Find me a defense that wouldn’t give that up to Texas Tech when you can’t sustain a damn drive on offense. Put Alabama out there and don’t score a single point in the 2nd half.... I bet they give up some points.

cowboyethics344

Federal Marshal
Apr 2, 2008
As I said, you are free to be happy with whatever you want to be happy with.
It’s not about being happy. It’s about realizing the true problem and not blaming the defense because they were out on the field the entire game. You put any team’s defense on the field the whole game against the #1 offense in the country.... you are going to get scored on. I am willing to bet that OU and Texas get over 30
Scored on them by Texas tech. Aim higher right? Well we are not going to get Alabama type defenses. We need high level recruiting that gundy can NOT provide.

RxCowboy

A/V Subscriber
Nov 8, 2004
It’s not about being happy. It’s about realizing the true problem and not blaming the defense because they were out on the field the entire game. You put any team’s defense on the field the whole game against the #1 offense in the country.... you are going to get scored on. I am willing to bet that OU and Texas get over 30
Scored on them by Texas tech. Aim higher right? Well we are not going to get Alabama type defenses. We need high level recruiting that gundy can NOT provide.
Why is it that we can get the athletes to expect to score 50 on Texas Tech but can't get the athletes to expect to hold Texas Tech to 20? We can get them on one side of the ball but not the other? How does that even make sense?

You can realize what you want, you can expect what you want, you can make excuses for what you want. I'm free to disagree and tell you that you're wrong, which you are.

Last edited:
Nov 14, 2010
Why is it that we can get the athletes to expect to score 50 on Texas Tech but can't get the athletes to expect to hold Texas Tech to 20? We can get the on one side of the ball but not the other? How does that even make sense?

You can realize what you want, you can expect what you want, you can make excuses for what you want. I'm free to disagree and tell you that you're wrong, which you are.
Not that you care one way or the other what I think but I must say that your perspective has been very good on this last performance.

You've hit every point in a very fair and balanced way.

You've said what's needed to be said

cowboyethics344

Federal Marshal
Apr 2, 2008
Why is it that we can get the athletes to expect to score 50 on Texas Tech but can't get the athletes to expect to hold Texas Tech to 20? We can get them on one side of the ball but not the other? How does that even make sense?

You can disagree with me but I think in order to have the type of defense to hold a Texas tech team to 20 points consistently then we are going to have to start getting some high level recruits from the SEC states. Considering we can’t even get big time legacy recruits like dax hill and Caden sterns... it’s going to be really hard to expect us to hold teams with good offenses to those numbers.

I am not sure Alabama could beat Texas Tech only scoring 17 points. I would love to say OSU has an elite defense but it goes beyond coaching. We have to get the players and gundy has shown that he is not very good at catering to them.

Feb 7, 2007
Sand Springs OK

It appears you have removed all of the "ifs, ands, therefores and buts" from what AD Holder was saying a few months ago and stated it in plain words with a clear and current illustration. For this, I applaud your use of logic to remove all attempts at promulgating BS while bringing focus to the discussion.

:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

wreck

Intrigued By Shiny Objects
A/V Subscriber
Jun 3, 2006
Dallas
You can disagree with me but I think in order to have the type of defense to hold a Texas tech team to 20 points consistently then we are going to have to start getting some high level recruits from the SEC states. Considering we can’t even get big time legacy recruits like dax hill and Caden sterns... it’s going to be really hard to expect us to hold teams with good offenses to those numbers.

I am not sure Alabama could beat Texas Tech only scoring 17 points. I would love to say OSU has an elite defense but it goes beyond coaching. We have to get the players and gundy has shown that he is not very good at catering to them.
I hate to bust everyone's bubble, but it is and will always be tough to recruit the cream athletes to Stillwater. The top athletes will always opt to play closer to home. I think we have done pretty damn good to even be where we are. It's not defeatist - just the sobering facts. I truly believe we can do better in recruiting - but it will take being a top 10 team for a prolonged period. Hang in there - we ARE a much improved program and I think that continues under Gundy.

RxCowboy

A/V Subscriber
Nov 8, 2004
I hate to bust everyone's bubble, but it is and will always be tough to recruit the cream athletes to Stillwater. The top athletes will always opt to play closer to home. I think we have done pretty damn good to even be where we are. It's not defeatist - just the sobering facts. I truly believe we can do better in recruiting - but it will take being a top 10 team for a prolonged period. Hang in there - we ARE a much improved program and I think that continues under Gundy.
We can damn well get better athletes than Texas freaking Tech. We damn well have better athletes than Texas freaking Tech. What failed Saturday was coaching and effort, with an emphasis on the coaching. We were out-coached in every... single... freaking... phase of the game. What's more, I believe not only do we have better athletes than they do, I also believe we have better coaches than they do. The results over the past 10 years bear that out.

There simply is no excuse.

Oh, and the freaking uniforms were hideous. We need to lose the grey forever. Maybe grey pants, but never grey tops, and never ever ever both.

Nov 3, 2008
We damn well have better athletes than Texas freaking Tech. What failed Saturday was coaching and effort, with an emphasis on the coaching. We were out-coached in every... single... freaking... phase of the game. What's more, I believe not only do we have better athletes than they do, I also believe we have better coaches than they do. The results over the past 10 years bear that out.
Outside of Hill, Brailford, Bundage, Wallace and maybe Daniels, which OSU players would start for TTU?

Outside of RB and DL, which position group is OSU better than TTU?