Sunday Morning Coaches - Week 4 (Sand kicked in our faces Edition)

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

RxCowboy

Has no Rx for his orange obsession.
A/V Subscriber
Nov 8, 2004
Wishing I was in Stillwater
Ugh. Sometimes I hate being right. I usually start with the offense, but not this week.

Defense: C-
I predicted that they would put up 44 points on us, so that they put up 41 wasn't all that surprising. As I said during the week, I need a larger sample size that N=1 before I go all in on our defense being world beaters, because I've watched our defense for the past 2 to 70 years or so. The one thing that really surprised me and disappointed me was that they were able to run on us the way they did. Oh, and that we got so little pressure on Bowman the Showman (good night do I hate that). Otherwise, I thought they were going to score a lot and they did.

Offense: F
TC looked like he did during week 1, when he inspired little confidence that he could get the job done. The play calling was unimaginative - where was the zone read that we used so effectively last week? I didn't see one? I understand that we're going to throw the long ball from time to time to keep defenses honest, and I understand that TC is not great at the long ball. My contention is that he doesn't have to be, that he needs to be an effective game manager, not turn the ball over, be efficient, get us out of bad plays at the line of scrimmage, and the things he does well do them well. Yesterday was nada. Zip, zero, zilch. It was like deer in the headlights. He was the one who froze in the spotlight and not the true freshman on the other side of the ball. Honestly, I would have replaced him in the third quarter when we were still only down two scores and needed to answer. But more than anything I'm disappointed with 128 yards rushing. We should have been able to run all over them. Fourth and 1 and we get chased down from behind for a loss. Really? Such a slow developing play on 4th and 1 that Hill gets caught from behind. Incidentally, with the two blitzers slamming hard inside, a zone-read keep there might have gone to the house. Zero points in the second half. Oh my.

Special teams: F
A week after our special teams made plays that turned the momentum of the game, they turned the momentum of the game again here, but in the wrong direction. A missed field goal from our kicker who was leading the nation in consecutive makes. A muffed punt. Kick returns that don't make it to the 20. Good lord.

Coaching: F
We got out-coached in every phase of the game. I know this board is going to be in full melt down mode today and Gundy is going to receive much criticism. After that performance yesterday he deserves it.

Effort: F
I felt like we came out flat from the outset. It's like the team spent the entire week reading their press clippings after the Boise State game and believing them, and decided that the only thing they needed to do this week was show up. And they barely accomplished that. I never mind playing hard and fighting and losing to a team that's simply better than us. But Texas Tech ain't. I watched the Ole Miss game and saw nothing out of the Sand Aggies that frightened me, they're mediocre at best and we made them look good. The effort was poor, very poor.

We failed all the way around.

Sep 9, 2013
What looked bad on TV was how fans kept beating the sides of the stadium with their sticks like they thought the team was going to come back when it was obvious on TV that they'd quit.

steross

Bookface/Instagran legend
A/V Subscriber
Mar 31, 2004
oklahoma city
To avoid the deer in the headlights appearance from the quarterback I would not have replaced the quarterback. I would have replaced the o-line. He wasn't looking like a deer in the headlights, he was a deer in the headlights.

We do not appear to block well from any position on the field. It is killing our highly talented RBs. It is killing our YAC.

RxCowboy

Has no Rx for his orange obsession.
A/V Subscriber
Nov 8, 2004
Wishing I was in Stillwater
To avoid the deer in the headlights appearance from the quarterback I would not have replaced the quarterback. I would have replaced the o-line. He wasn't looking like a deer in the headlights, he was a deer in the headlights.

We do not appear to block well from any position on the field. It is killing our highly talented RBs. It is killing our YAC.
Hard to block when we keep running the same plays and the defense has a pretty good idea of what's coming. We did nothing to keep them off balance.

Jan 1, 2008
Tech seems like they are making hay with their freshman QB.

I'm wondering how Sanders is progressing?
Well you see, that's just not something we do here. Sanders hasn't put in the time yet. TC has been doing it right for 5 years, he steep in Cowboy culture. And as you know our Culture is special.....
#sarcasmoff

Aug 22, 2006
SE Oklahoma
I was at the game not watching on TV, the offense was terrible. The O-Line couldn't block anyone the center snapped it low about 55% of the time. The line judge continually spotted the ball wrong and not in our favor. The defense was on the field for what seemed like the whole game. I'm really jealous of Tech's QB he was seeing the field great and was accurate on his throws with the exception of the 1 INT where he didn't see the safety. Our QB wasn't accurate on the long throws or the short and intermediate throws to the sidelines, over the middle he was on the money. We threw over the middle about 3 times. The play calling is what you have to expect from this OC, I don't think he is any good when things aren't going well. The stubbornness of trying to throw a deep ball every 3rd play when obviously the QB can't is what I have come to expect. Running the ball off tackle when the o line can't make lanes is what I have come to expect. Running the same 5 or 6 plays is what I have come to expect. I really hope that he gets hired away so we can expect something different.

The defense couldn't get pressure, there was poor tackling, there was missed assignments, and Tech did a great job of adjusting when we adjusted. An amazing INT from Green, what an individual effort. We have several freshmen that are really good at DB.

Special teams, Sinor punted well other than that not good at all.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

Oct 30, 2007
Offensively:
I'm surprised it took this long, but an opposing defensive coordinator solved the simple equation of how to beat our offense. We have a great stable of running backs, an average at best offensive line, and a quarterback that excels at short passes but struggles to throw downfield. The simple solution is to play a tight defense and force Cornelius to beat you over the top. Texas Tech did this and we had our most anemic performance against Texas Tech we've had in over a decade. Opposing DC's are going to take this template and make things difficult for us until we prove we can beat them downfield.

We had 128 yards rushing on 24 carries for average of 5.3 yards per carry. But those stats are misleading. Justice Hill had two long runs of 37 and 35 yards. We averaged about 2.5 YPC outside of those two runs. Texas Tech was stopping the run pretty consistently. We weren't going to beat them on the ground.

Cornelius just flat out wasn't good enough last night. The offensive line struggled all night. But there were several plays where they held initially and TC didn't get the ball out. This eventually led to protection breaking down and empty plays. I can remember one play vividly where Tyron Johnson beat his man. An accurate pass leads to a long touchdown. That would've loosened the defense up and changed the enitre game. But TC missed the pass. That's starting to become a habit.

Defensively:
I couldn't shake the feeling yesterday that Coach Holder's comments about recruiting were fully justified. Texas Tech doesn't hold the ball long enough to get much of a rush. Your athletes have to match up and beat their skill players one on one. It was clear that we didn't have the talent to do that. The only way to change that is through recruiting. We don't have to be able to land five star recruits like Dax Hill, but we need to consistently land four star recruits like Perrish Cox, Shaun Lewis, and Markelle Martin. It was painfully obvious yesterday that we only have one four star athlete on the defensive side of the ball.

Texas Tech came into the game with the number one ranked offense in the country yesterday. I knew they would move the ball through the air and score some points, but I was extremely disappointing by the way they ran the ball down our throats. Especially late in the game when we knew they were going to run. Our defensive line go their lunch money taken.

Special Teams:
We had to struggle in special teams as well to make it a well rounded loss. Wallace can't put that punt on the ground. Amendola has been rock solid. He was due to miss a kick. We didn't need it yesterday though. It's nice to get Sinor back. His first punt was excellent.

Overall it's a tough pill to swallow. Preseason I picked us to go 8-4. I was starting to think we could have a great year and win 10 games again after the Boise State win. But I think we're starting to see our ceiling isn't as high as we want it to be with our current personnel. It will be interesting to see how this team and the coaching staff respond in the coming weeks.

Rack

Federal Marshal
Oct 13, 2004
Earth
Kinda saw this coming but not to that extent. You are never as bad or good as you think you are. I thought our defense was good enough to play better than we have ever shown verses tech. I knew it was going to take that to win a game with an offense that isn’t what it has been in terms of dynamically being able to score in bunches. That was not the case so we lost. I didn’t think we could win shootouts this year and we lost our first one. Now go fix it and beat KU or its going to be a very LONG year. Rebuilding or reloading? Remains to be seen...btw, I don’t like our offensive scheme because it relys on the ability to make the big chunk play...when skill is only slightly lacking it fails to produce. With this kind of offense and QB we would be better off running a power system. Otherwise, as bad as I hate it for the 5th senior, we may be forced to change.

Crowd was pretty good...otherwise we just got whooped. Tech is going to win a bunch of games. Good for them.

Last edited:
Oct 7, 2015
St. Elmo, CO
Why, oh why is it that we make Freshmen QBs, scout team QBs and former wide receiver QBs look like freakin' All-Americans when they play us?!
It happens all the time and I'm so tired of it.

I'm also over the Corndog story. I love a good story, but it's been apparent (and I called it at the start of the season) that Corndog is not the emotional leader of this team. When I watch how his teammate's react and how he himself reacts to the game whether on the field or the sideline, I do not see any excitement. I do not see a leader. I see a good kid that's been a leader in the way he handles his tenure as an OSU walkon and his opportunity to be the go to guy, but he's just not going to be able to make this team better.
I'm afraid that last night's game will only lead to worse results keeping him as the starter.

Corndog is not built for the comeback lead. And he will NEVER be able to make that deep throw with any accuracy.
Time to move on, Mike.

And why can't Gundy allow someone to come in off the bench when the starter isn't playing well. WHY HAVE A BENCH?! Gundy's damn "loyalty" bullshit is just that. Gundy should have a loyalty to our school, fans, recruits and the entire team to try his best to win the game.
Having Corndog stay in the game up to the ending gun was a sign of giving up on the rest of the team so he could keep talking about "The Cowboy Culture" and "Loyalty".
What about the loyalty to the other members of the team that have practiced, too, Mike?!
Give them a chance to shine, will ya!

I've never been a fan of Yurcich. I give him credit when he calls a good game, but 95% of the time I'm hoping he finally gets an opportunity to become a head coach somewhere else.
Yurcich, like Gundy, seems to be stuck in pre-game mentality and has a hard time adjusting. Maybe there's a "loyalty" to the game plan. I don't know, but it frustrates me more than excites me about our ability to challenge for a conference championship.

Knowles' game plan seemed to be, "We had great success last week. They'll be looking for us to do the same thing, so let's not do it."
The jury just went back into deliberation.

Overall it was a disastrous, hideous, total team failure at EVERY level. What was once tempered enthusiasm has now turned into fear of a 4-5 loss season that shouldn't have happened.
If I hear Gundy trying to comfort the OSU fans with tales of "Corndog is our man, we just had a bad game, and/or we, as coaches, have to do a better job of adjusting." I'm gonna had a sh*tfit.

I'll bet Boone just lost 5 years off his life thinking about a National Championship.

Jostate

CPTNQUIRK called me a greenhorn
A/V Subscriber
Jun 24, 2005
What looked bad on TV was how fans kept beating the sides of the stadium with their sticks like they thought the team was going to come back when it was obvious on TV that they'd quit.
To me that's the highlight of the game. Our fans historically have been a little defeatist (myself included) so the paddle people sticking it out and trying to create excitement is a big plus. What they lack in physical attractiveness (sorry had to say it) they made up for in fight.

Jostate

CPTNQUIRK called me a greenhorn
A/V Subscriber
Jun 24, 2005
I'm also over the Corndog story. I love a good story, but it's been apparent (and I called it at the start of the season) that Corndog is not the emotional leader of this team. When I watch how his teammate's react and how he himself reacts to the game whether on the field or the sideline, I do not see any excitement. I do not see a leader. I see a good kid that's been a leader in the way he handles his tenure as an OSU walkon and his opportunity to be the go to guy, but he's just not going to be able to make this team better.
Maybe I shouldn't make too much out of one off hand comment by Corndog, but I keep thinking about his early season statement that our goal is to make a bowl game. It's not the gutsy, shoot for the stars, type statement. Maybe that really did show a little insight into his perspective.

Jan 2, 2005
Ditto on everything negative said.

I felt the defensive front appeared to be giving good effort but the defensive backs and the scheme was atrocious, especially A.J. Green. He is absolutely horrible. He can't over, he's out of position most of the time, and he can barley tackle. Amazing INT?! The ball nearly fell into his hands! The only thing that INT proved is that even a blind squirrel finds and acorn once in awhile. If he's the best we have at corner we are in serious trouble.

I've been supportive of TC but it was clear that he was rattled last night . As has already been stated, Tech coaches clearly schemed a plan to force him to throw over the top. He has a strong arm and a tight spiral but all of that is worthless if you can even come close to receiver downfield. Perhaps its no wonder, with the exception of Wallace, the receivers continue to quit on routes. Their probably used to his lack of accuracy in practice.

Finally, circumstances were giving us all kinds of opportunities that we could not capitalize on. We fumbled a punt or went three and out each time. The lack of coaching adjustments was mystifying. Stoner has been fielding punts in tight coverage well the first three games but then we put in Wallace who made a bad decision. And when It was clear to everyone that a change needed to be made at QB they refused to make a change. That halftime conversation must have been a humdinger: "Ok guys, get your mats and take a 15 minute nap. We're going to use the same game plan in the 2nd half. They'll never expect us to do that."

wrenhal

Territorial Marshal
Aug 11, 2011
Go away. This is for OSU fans.

Sent from my stang5litre Edition 5.0 using Tapatalk

Nov 1, 2009
Dallas
Maybe I shouldn't make too much out of one off hand comment by Corndog, but I keep thinking about his early season statement that our goal is to make a bowl game. It's not the gutsy, shoot for the stars, type statement. Maybe that really did show a little insight into his perspective.
His body language really gets on my nerves