Sunday Morning Coaches - Week 3 (Smurf Turf Edition)

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

Jostate

CPTNQUIRK called me a greenhorn
A/V Subscriber
Jun 24, 2005
So many positives. Knowles is a genius. Gundy has to be asking himself, what if I had made this switch of the D Coordinator a year earlier?

TC is a winner. I think we'll see more from him this year that makes us realize he's not just a filler between great QB's in our history.

Our rushing yards are a little misleading in a way. Our runners all are better than the #'s and our O line is worse. The line created some holes but mostly Hill just fought his way to his yards. I hope we can find a way to block and game plan a little more space for our stable of running backs to work with. We have several high performance sports cars, struggling to get out of the garage.

wrenhal

Territorial Marshal
Aug 11, 2011
If like to add:
Coaches: A
Some weird calls here and there on offense, but defense seemed to be rolling.
And props to Gundy for that late sub for the delay of game. I didn't see, but they were saying on the radio that Gundy was hanging on to a guy to sub for that potential. Because they knew that their offense would sub late in the clock sometimes and so they waited and timed the sub for maximum effect to have them waste a timeout or get delay of game.
That shows good game management from the coaches.

Sent from my stang5litre Edition 5.0 using Tapatalk

RxCowboy

Has no Rx for his orange obsession.
A/V Subscriber
Nov 8, 2004
Wishing I was in Stillwater
I’m sure the Striping looked beautiful on the radio.

We made need a full time Striping Coach

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Oh, I could see it on TV when they showed it, but couldn't hear what the TV guys were saying about it or the atmosphere, and they didn't make a whole lot of mention of it on the radio broadcast, at least not that I can recall.

RxCowboy

Has no Rx for his orange obsession.
A/V Subscriber
Nov 8, 2004
Wishing I was in Stillwater
As a PS... I was supposed to meet with a group down in Cincy yesterday for a watch party. But I didn't make it, my wife wasn't feeling good. She was asleep when the game started and I decided not to leave her alone, especially since I would have been about an hour away or so. After the game her "not feeling good" turned into a full blown migraine. When she couldn't keep her migraine meds down I took her to the ER for a shot and some IV fluids.

wrenhal

Territorial Marshal
Aug 11, 2011
The second blocked punt I was on my feet yelling at the TV, "I can't believe what I just saw!" Does anyone know when the last time we blocked two punts in a game was?
Too bad you couldn't be in the stadium to experience the energy those blocks put into the crowd because everybody was asking the same question as you. It was awesome!
They mentioned on the radio, but i don't remember when.

Oct 27, 2003
McKinney, TX
Visit site
As a PS... I was supposed to meet with a group down in Cincy yesterday for a watch party. But I didn't make it, my wife wasn't feeling good. She was asleep when the game started and I decided not to leave her alone, especially since I would have been about an hour away or so. After the game her "not feeling good" turned into a full blown migraine. When she couldn't keep her migraine meds down I took her to the ER for a shot and some IV fluids.
She has to do it again next week!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dec 6, 2011
The second blocked punt I was on my feet yelling at the TV, "I can't believe what I just saw!" Does anyone know when the last time we blocked two punts in a game was?
Too bad you couldn't be in the stadium to experience the energy those blocks put into the crowd because everybody was asking the same question as you. It was awesome!
They mentioned on the radio, but i don't remember when.

Thought I’d read it was 2012

Jul 27, 2011
Bixby
It seemed to our group at the game that the missed Boise State FG may have been tipped.

It was tough to tell on the replay in the stadium, but it looked like A.J. Green may have gotten a finger on it.

Did the TV broadcast show him getting a piece of the football?

If so, that would've been three blocked kicks in one game, which is just ludicrous.

Sent from my LGLS991 using Tapatalk

Oct 7, 2012
It seemed to me that the blocked punts and subsequent points off same were the key difference makers. I remember looking at the scoreboard several times and if I subtracted the points off the blocked punts I realized that the game would be really tight. Not that OSU was not the better team. They definitely were. That was one of the better all around performances I think I’ve seen in a while from a Poke team. But the points off of blocked punts kept the game from being too close and perhaps let DC and OC not panic and keep on task with the original game plan, while BSU maybe had to play catch up a little more than they were comfortable with.

On the blocked punts, Rod Gilmore (ESPN analyst) made a big deal out of how long it would take BSU to get punts off during warmup, in excess of 2 seconds, and thought OSU certainly was aware of this potential. I would have to see the replays, but it appeared that the OSU punt rushers were just running over the punt defenders.

For me personally, I was just thrilled to see solid defense. Corndog may not be a deep ball threat, but he’s a gamer and gives the Poke offense something to work around. Really excited about the season and definitely think Pokes can legitimately vie for Big 12 championship.

Press On

Sep 16, 2004
DFW
I feel for her. Those can be debilitating. I had one that was so bad, the doctors (and I) thought I was having a stroke. Migraines are no joke. Hope she doesn’t have another one like that for a long time. The silver lining is at least we won.

CocoCincinnati

Federal Marshal
Feb 7, 2007
Tulsa, OK
Special teams were good, didn't think I'd get a chance to say that this year, so consider this my crow. Two kick offs out of bounds are normally unacceptable but I'm not going to complain about an overall performance that included two blocked punts, excellent kickoff coverage and a 48 yard FG.

The defensive line was outstanding as were the LB's in run defense. Bundage continues to impress, had 2 offsides penalties (come to think of it, he had quite a few of those last year) but just as with special teams, it's hard to complain about 2 minor things compared to the overall performance. Pass defense was lacking, but we knew coming in that Rypien could sling it (tough kid BTW, took some big hits and kept on ticking). They really had success over the middle and I wonder if that was due more to scheme than anything else. Whatever it was, hopefully the coaches can see what happened on film. We may only see 2 or 3 passing offenses the rest of the year as good as BSU but it's still something to worry about. Stat of the week; giving up 11-22 on 3rd downs and 3-4 on 4th downs is something that needs to improve.

O line was shaky in the first half but really started to get some push in the last quarter and a half...I wonder how much the humidity effected BSU's players, it was as bad as I can remember at a game so it had to be bad for people not acclimated to it. Taylor was Taylor, he is improving a bit each week, impressive on the short and intermediate stuff, but the deep pass just simply isn't there unless the WR's make a play (which they did). Most important was no Interceptions. Jury is still out on how this offense will fare against big physical defense like UT and TCU but they did more than enough yesterday to get the W in a big game so I'll enjoy that for now.

Bonus thoughts: Boise fans were great, we had several tailgating close to us and they were very friendly, I hope they received good treatment from most OSU fans. I cracked up when the crowd wanted to go for it on 4th and goal from the 1 when we were only up 13. That is a no brains FG situation. :)