Sunday Morning Coaches - Week 3, Cat 0.5 Edition

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

RxCowboy

Has no Rx for his orange obsession.
A/V Subscriber
Nov 8, 2004
Wishing I was in Stillwater
The biggest story of this game was the half-time adjustments the defensive coaching staff made. That we put up 40 on Tulsa isn't surprising, maybe should have been more (50 sounds better). That we rushed for 344 or Hubbard ran for 257 and 3 scores; or that we rushed for more yardage than we passed for for the first time in forever, again, not all that surprising. That we jumped to a very early lead only to see a momentum shift in the 2nd quarter and went into half-time trailing by a point is disappointing but not surprising. That we shut out Tulsa in the 2nd half after the defense looked gassed and surrendering momentum and the lead in the 2nd quarter, WOW! Whatever adjustments were made in the defense at half-time, whatever was said, whatever fires were lit under whatever butts... it all worked.

Offense: B-
It's hard to say that the offense which put up 500 yards and 40 points didn't look that sharp, but it didn't. It wasn't quite the "hitting on all cylinders" that we've come to know and love. Don't get me wrong, I thought we played pretty doggone good. It just... could... have been... better. Two turnovers, and they weren't especially forced turnovers. I still think Sanders is under-throwing long balls, which causes the receivers to have to slow down and adjust, which results in pass interference. So, it's working, sort of. However, I'll say that on the 90 yarder, he hit Wallace just about right, and he throws lasers on the out patterns. The long ball will improve, the arm is there.

Defense: B+, C, A, A = (3.32) B+
I've graded the defense by quarters. The 2nd half shutout is one of the better defensive performances we've seen in a while. Very well done.

Special teams: C
We gave up too much kick-off return yardage, and muffed the extra point.

Coaching: A
Again, the half-time adjustments by DCJK were superb. OCSG obviously found something in the Tulsa run defense that he could exploit.

Weather: H for Hella Hot

Training staff: A+
The radio staff mentioned on the radio broadcast that we didn't have anyone at half-time getting IVs and we never had players on the field cramping up.

Looking forward to your comments and observations.

sc5mu93

WeaselMonkey
A/V Subscriber
Oct 18, 2006
Spring, TX
I agree on the offense. It "felt" like they were kinda living and dying on explosive plays. One thing we're not that used to, is the explosive RUN plays. Recent history has been bombs away. I'll take it though.

Rack

Legendary Cowboy
Oct 13, 2004
Earth
I love our training staff...but the team looked gassed in the second quarter and looked much better in the 3rd quarter than even the fourth. Have seen this team have problems in the heat on game days for several years now and have even noticed they tend to preform better once the sun goes down...don't know what that is, but I think it's that we used the IPF more than we used too and thus aren't as prepared for extremely hot weather. I could be totally out of my mid here.. Otherwise I totally agree with your assessment. Thanks for doing these.

Go Pokes!

pokes16

Territorial Marshal
Oct 16, 2003
Tulsa
I love our training staff...but the team looked gassed in the second quarter and looked much better in the 3rd quarter than even the fourth. Have seen this team have problems in the heat on game days for several years now and have even noticed they tend to preform better once the sun goes down...don't know what that is, but I think it's that we used the IPF more than we used too and thus aren't as prepared for extremely hot weather. I could be totally out of my mid here.. Otherwise I totally agree with your assessment. Thanks for doing these.

Go Pokes!
Something to add to that. According to RA, no one got IVs at the half. We did not cramp up at all. TU guys started cramping early in the 3rd quarter. So while we may have been gassed, which I think is due to a lack of depth from injury etc, our hydration protocol is tremendous.

Oct 27, 2003
McKinney, TX
Visit site

Go Pokes!
Something to add to that. According to RA, no one got IVs at the half. We did not cramp up at all. TU guys started cramping early in the 3rd quarter. So while we may have been gassed, which I think is due to a lack of depth from injury etc, our hydration protocol is tremendous.
No. 1 in hydration!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feb 15, 2017
Texas
1. Sanders is putting too much air under the ball on deep throws. Makes it under thrown and allows defenders back into the play. That said, if you are "taking what the defense gives you" and that's 1:1 with your best WR, then I don't mind us taking all those shots. Good throws there and we'd be all giddy over the long TDs instead of the 15 yard PIs.
2. In the first half, it looked like Sanders was definitely told to throw first and run at last resort. In the second half, he started to do what is natural to him, look for a WR for 3 seconds and then take off.
3. I hate to be in the "we're saving it for Texas" boat, but can't have any other explanation on why we aren't using Cowboy Back and Chuba in the passing game.
4. Wish we had a RB#2 . . . . . .

Jan 1, 2011
Houston
Special teams still without direction it seems. I can't understand why Gundy doesn't put a full time coach for special teams. I thought that Gleeson was going to coach or had an interest in special teams. Somebody needs to! Agree totally no 2 back needs to brought up. Even on kickoff he is tentative. Should go full speed upon receiving the ball.

GodsPeace

Joshua 1:9
Aug 20, 2004
Stillwater
My biggest concern is the back up running back(s). Chuba is amazing, but we have to have guys behind him or this offense will struggle mightily when he is out of the game. I don't want him dragging at the end of the year either.

Nov 22, 2010
Oklahoma City, OK
My quick thoughts:

Great game from Chuba. He already has over 500 yds on the season.

We should've kept throwing deep to Tylan...Pass interference on Tulsa every time. lol

Defense was ugly in the 1st half...but won the game for us by pitching a shut out the second half.

Th offensive line rebounded from last week with a solid performance, Dickey can coach.

IMO the adversity was a good thing for the team headed to Big 12 play. They got got punched in the face and gave it right back in the second half.

Beat Texas.

Dec 21, 2008
1) young guys that looked out of shape were mostly FR and RFR DLman. Young guys playing their butts off. Not fair to critique them in an inopportune situation
2) We will 100% open the playbook. 90% of the time a play call is called correctly it’s just the execution. One missed block, one guy a step late etc alters the play from a huge hole to a TFL. You can run the same blocking scheme vs Tulsa and half the time you score and half the time you get stood up. I’m personally a fan of showing them nothing
3) DL absences make me very nervous
4) Spencer will run all over TX. Bet we throw in some options etc. corn dog ran a ton on 3rd and long and it shifted momentum
5) Special teams has gone invisible. I’ve heard Gundy thinks it’s too big of a risk vs the reward. I’m sure there is analytics behind this. I assume that’s why we fair catch so much and set up zero kind of return. Really miss those DeFo return games, felt like a TD chance every time we received a kick. Hate that we concede 1/3 of the game with not much energy, game changing upperclassmen or organization. We look clueless on most ST plays

llcoolw

Territorial Marshal
Feb 7, 2005
Sammamish, Washington.Dallas, Texas.Maui, Hawaii
1) young guys that looked out of shape were mostly FR and RFR DLman. Young guys playing their butts off. Not fair to critique them in an inopportune situation
2) We will 100% open the playbook. 90% of the time a play call is called correctly it’s just the execution. One missed block, one guy a step late etc alters the play from a huge hole to a TFL. You can run the same blocking scheme vs Tulsa and half the time you score and half the time you get stood up. I’m personally a fan of showing them nothing
3) DL absences make me very nervous
4) Spencer will run all over TX. Bet we throw in some options etc. corn dog ran a ton on 3rd and long and it shifted momentum
5) Special teams has gone invisible. I’ve heard Gundy thinks it’s too big of a risk vs the reward. I’m sure there is analytics behind this. I assume that’s why we fair catch so much and set up zero kind of return. Really miss those DeFo return games, felt like a TD chance every time we received a kick. Hate that we concede 1/3 of the game with not much energy, game changing upperclassmen or organization. We look clueless on most ST plays
Can’t we have a volunteer special teams coach? Jeez, I’d do it if I knew what I was doing. Guarantee that Miles will throw every trick he knows on special teams, when that game comes up. We better get ready fast.

Oct 30, 2007
Offense: B
Sanders wasn't as sharp as he needed to be. He seemed to struggle some with his deep ball. Hubbard & our offensive line were awesome. Tulsa did everything they could to shut down Wallace, and he still had a great game. It's nice to able to score 40 even when you aren't firing on all cylinders.

Defense: B+
The defense played pretty well for 3 out of 4 quarters. Give some props to Tulsa for finding an edge in the 2nd quarter to exploit. Coach Knowles got the job done at halftime. We played a lot better in the 2nd half. It felt like our young linebackers grew up some as the game went on. Our inability to get pressure without blitzing is worrisome.

Special Teams: C
We missed an extra point, and Hubbard let a KO fall short of the goal line, but it wasn't a terrible day. Ammendola hit his field goals, Stoner was decent on punt returns, and Hutton had some decent punts.

Coaching: B+
I'll give some props to the coaching staff. They had this team ready to play at a high level out of the gate. Coach Knowles made some great adjustments. I wasn't thrilled with the offensive game plan, but it was still good enough to put 40 points on the board.

Homefield advantage on the road: A+
I kind of felt bad for Tulsa when I saw a shot of the stands. It had to be a deflated feeling for them to see the stands 75% full of orange instead of blue. Our fanbase did a great job of traveling.

Sep 16, 2004
DFW
Homefield advantage on the road: A+
I kind of felt bad for Tulsa when I saw a shot of the stands. It had to be a deflated feeling for them to see the stands 75% full of orange instead of blue. Our fanbase did a great job of traveling.
A lot of folks traveling to their own back yard. Say what you will about doing home/away with TU, the venue is convenient for a lot of fans.