Sunday Morning Coaches - Week #2, Cowboys^2 Edition

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

wrenhal

Territorial Marshal
Aug 11, 2011
Offense B. We dominated an outmatched opponent so you can't really tell much from that. However, just like last week, I though our receivers did an outstanding job blocking, but early in the game they had trouble getting open. Sanders pulled the ball down and scrambled quite a few times, which is a nice weapon to have in the arsenal. I thought Sanders had some bad throws, unlike last week where he was very crisp. I am convinced he is going to be a star though...this is just his second game and there will be mistakes to learn from. Sanders needs to learn how to get down and not take hits when he runs though, good grief, two games in a row that he has been popped pretty good, get out or get down.

On that note, at least if, God forbid, something happens, Brown looks like a very capable QB as well. That second TD pass was a thing of beauty....perfect ball. After their slow start, the receivers played pretty good. Tylan Wallace is faster than I thought he was last season, holy cow. I was a bit disappointed we couldn't run more on them but as Gundy said in post game, they played to stop the run...still should be able to power your star back to a hundred yards against an overmatched foe.

Defense B. As above, hard to know much from an opponent you're supposed to dominate. As has already been said, our schemes leave a lot to be desired and if we weren't so much faster than McNeese last night, they probably would have put more points on the board. But, you have to give credit to the guys for swarming to the ball and making good tackles, several times running them down from behind or from an angle. I have to throw in how great it was to see the backups get in there and make two goal line stands in a row....good stuff.

Special Teams B. My feeling on Gundy's refusal to name a ST coordinator are well known. So far, it hasn't cost us this season and let's all hope that continues. The new punter hasn't impressed me yet.....he's had opportunities to show off his leg and so far hasn't done it. He was better last night than last week so hopefully it's ramping up as we go. On the flip side, I was VERY impressed with McNeese's punter. Good hang time and distance.....pinned us inside the 10 several times. We were able to send most kickoffs into the endzone and made good tackles when they ran them out, so that's good.

Weather F. The only more miserable game I can remember being at is the game in Lawrence in 98. So freaking hot yesterday. Sucked the energy right out of the crowd from the start. Credit where credit is due to the athletic department.....the big water stations that are spread out all over the stadium continue to be a very nice feature.

Media Time Outs F. Is it just me, or were those media times out longer than what we've seen in the past? Maybe it was just the heat that made them seem worse but for Pete's sake, they seemed to go on forever. Isn't ESPN+ a subscription service? Do they make money on the subscriptions?
It had nothing to do with ESPN+. I watched the broadcast and every break ESPN had a black screen up with "commercial timeout" after their commercials were done , it's the Cowboy Radio broadcast that caused any delays
No, they never hold a game for the radio. Watch ESPN ESPN3, and ESPN+ all have those screens up during commercial breaks because the break on the field takes longer than the amount of commercials they have.
I mean, I've literally heard the radio come back from break early to catch up with what's on the field.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

May 17, 2007
Lake Charles, LA
McNeese took the opposite approach from Oregon St, they brought their safeties up to stop Chuba and Sanders but their DBs were no match 1-1 on any of our receivers, and certainly not Wallace. I like what I saw from Brown in his first series although the game quickly deteriorated as more subs were made.

The defense made some improvement in the pressure category but considering the level of competition you really can't tell much. Tulsa should provide a tougher test and we better not be looking ahead to Texas cause we don't seem to be good enough to do that and succeed.

Oct 30, 2007
This was a really difficult game to grade. The opponent was vastly inferior, playcalling on both sides of the ball was really vanilla, we pulled a lot of our starters after the first series in the second half, and we had walk-ons playing in the 4th quarter. I think we accomplished what we set out to do. We won handily, we stayed relatively healthy, and we got a lot of younger guys snaps. I've never really loved games like this, but they're good for the future of the program.

Offense: B
It felt like we could've named out score once we got rolling, but the first quarter was ugly. We came out sloppy & undisciplined. Sanders played well, but he wasn't quite as sharp as the Oregon State game. It felt like they were loading up to stop the run, and we didn't attack them downfield as much as we should've. Part of that may have been the ultra-vanilla playcalling. Dru Brown looked really good when he came in. He proved that he's capable of helping this team win games. That's important because there's a decent chance he'll play meaningful snaps with Sanders' style of play. I'm really excited about CJ Moore. He may be our next flagship receiver after Wallace.

Defense: A
I know the opponent was vastly inferior, but the defense did what they were supposed to do. They set a tone early, and they didn't let up. I don't think that McNeese scored on our starters. Our backups played pretty well too. We got our young guys a lot of snaps. That should pay dividends in the future.

Special Teams: C+
There's not much to grade here. I was really impressed by McNeese's punter. He gave us a long field much of the night. Hutton has been okay, but he hasn't been as good as advertised. Our return game is virtually non-existent. Stoner let a punt bounce & roll that he should've caught.

Coaching: A-
There's not much to grade here either. The game plan was vanilla, and the coaches didn't really need to do much. They kept the number of snaps down for the starters, and they got a lot of younger players snaps. I'll knock their grade down slightly because the team wasn't quite ready to go out of the gate.

PokeJ

Sheriff
Oct 27, 2003
McKinney, TX
Visit site
Special Teams: C+
There's not much to grade here. I was really impressed by McNeese's punter. He gave us a long field much of the night. Hutton has been okay, but he hasn't been as good as advertised. Our return game is virtually non-existent. Stoner let a punt bounce & roll that he should've caught.

[.
I question why we kept fielding punts inside the 10. We fielded one on the 5. Chances are a few would have wound up in the end zone

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

wrenhal

Territorial Marshal
Aug 11, 2011
Why were two goal line stops even necessary?
If you're expecting the defense to pitch shutouts, and keep other teams from getting into the red zone, you're in for a severely disappointing season.
That has absolutely nothing to do with this. We turned it over on Downs if I remember correctly both times or was one of them a fumble? Either way they started in or close to the Red zone both times.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

Jan 14, 2006
I question why we kept fielding punts inside the 10. We fielded one on the 5. Chances are a few would have wound up in the end zone

Gundy answered it in the postgame. Basically said Dylan didn't catch one inside the 8 (made it sound like that is the rule rather than the 10 like we've always heard).
The others where Harper. Being a true freshman, he was focused on just catching the punt.

Also have to give their punter credit for nailing that line over and over again.

pokes16

Territorial Marshal
Oct 16, 2003
Tulsa
It is hard to grade Hutton considering the Oregon State game was the first football game he had ever seen, let alone played in. So with that in mind, I think he's doing well.

Oct 30, 2007
Why were two goal line stops even necessary?
FWIW, Alabama gave up 10 points yesterday to New Mexico State in garbage time. Teams are going to move the ball against you when you're playing scout team players & walk-ons. Those snaps are important for development though.

Rack

Federal Marshal
Oct 13, 2004
Earth
I wasn't at yesterday's game, but I was at that 98 KU game. The heat was awful. The freaking water fountains were pumping out hot water. The emergency stations were getting exercised. That experience was so miserable for what is usually an automatic W over KU.
It wasn't that bad due to the cool zones and the water stations that are in existence now...Certainly if one wasn't in the shade it was really tough until it cooled off after sunset. Bottom line, I actually can't believe we let our players wear black helmets and those God Awful grey uniforms in that heat...I BELEIVE it effected our first two drives in this game due to heading into the west sunset and being in those heat machines. It was night and day compared to last weekends perfect football conditions in Oregon.

Rack

Federal Marshal
Oct 13, 2004
Earth
Wow, defense was not an A. Players give good effort, but the scheme is a head scratcher it is so bad. I have no idea what the goal is scheme wise unless it is to maximize the opponents points. We stopped mcneese but we recovered against their much slower players to make stops and those will not happen in conference play.

I was glad to hear gundy be critical in the post game, so at least he sees problems. He is careful not to publicly shame anyone on the staff but hopefully he is all over Knowles one on one.

Lots to improve if we are going to win 8. KU and wvu are mcneese bad but that is it. Right now Baylor ttech and KSU look better than us. Isu and Tcu are unknowns.

Maybe not an A but the defense did play very well considering the offense sputtered early and couldn't do squat with bad field position because their punter preformed all world and placed the ball high and deep requiring our punt returners to fair catch very deep punts. Gundy was primarily critical of the offense and said specifically that the defense played well and tackled "good" pretty much until we started to sub in the 3rd teamers. Your assessment isn't reality of that...plus we have no idea on Baylor, Tech and KSU right now...each of us has played two games and none of us have been tested yet. It is true, however, that the conference slat is looking difficult and the cream is going to have to rise to the top. If we want to win the conference we are going to have to improve as we go...we do, however, have some talent to work with.

Oct 7, 2015
St. Elmo, CO
Most of McNeese State's scoring happened late when guys like the head pom-pom girl and Robert Allen were playing defense.
They'll need to improve if they want to see the field again.

Rack

Federal Marshal
Oct 13, 2004
Earth

Watch it again, I was very impressed with the height of the kicks by their punter (That might be the best punting we face all year, seriously). Stoner did however make a mistake in not fielding one of the punts I think...but otherwise I think he did the right thing and kept them from downing multiple punts within the five yard line. Field position kept this game from being even more of a blow out early.

Nov 22, 2010
Oklahoma City, OK
I won't really take much from a game like this...A lopsided blowout with injuries will work for me.

Offense A-
Defense A

My quick thoughts....

Spencer was solid.

Tylan has been fantastic. He has looked faster and more physical so far this season IMO.

Dru Brown looked good. A very capable backup.

Getting turnovers will be huge for this defense.

Birry

Federal Marshal
Feb 6, 2007
Landlocked
I don't have overall grades, and there's no point considering the opponent. Random thoughts...

Sanders has to learn to run smarter and take less hits.
He also seemed more antsy in this game than the first one. Hope he slows down a bit in the next two weeks.

Drew Brown appears to be a super accurate passer with adequate mobility. I was very impressed with his poise, accuracy, and command of the offense.

There's a huge dropoff from RB1 to RB2 right now.

Our defense still looks like we have 10 guys on the field. Sure, we dominated an inferior opponent, but I was not overly impressed with our scheme again. 3 down linemen, drop 6 into coverage, then "blitz" two guys around the same side - how many are left to defend the QB running for 15 yards before being touched? None. And it happened twice in this game. Its a very poor design that wasn't close to working...........against McNees. Yikes.

Last edited:

CocoCincinnati

Federal Marshal
Feb 7, 2007
Tulsa, OK
One note to add to this thread. Their first TD did not come against walk ons, it came early in the 3rd quarter. I do not know who was on field for sure that drive, but I bet most of the people out there are on the 2 deep.

Jul 9, 2011
Yankees Tavern, Carlos Texas
One note to add to this thread. Their first TD did not come against walk ons, it came early in the 3rd quarter. I do not know who was on field for sure that drive, but I bet most of the people out there are on the 2 deep.
Yes, they scored one td against our first/second string d off a long QB scramble and a nice pass. I can live with that.

Last edited: