Sunday Morning Coaches - Week #2, Cowboys^2 Edition

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

RxCowboy

Has no Rx for his orange obsession.
A/V Subscriber
Nov 8, 2004
Wishing I was in Stillwater
Last week we had OSU^2 and (Orange+Black)^2.

Offense: B-
This was a game of "blink and you miss it" scoring. Other than the offense's lackluster first quarter, there really wasn't much to criticize. Coach Gundy said at halftime, "They're going to need oxygen tomorrow." I trust that the coaches will fix the effort.

Not sure what's up with LD Brown. Last year he looked like a capable backup. This year thus far he is not looking crisp hitting the holes. It's like he's tippy-toeing up to them.

Sanders has wheels. To the casual fan the passing may not have looked spectacular, it looked like the receivers were simply running away from everyone. But they were able to do that because Sanders was throwing tight spirals that were hitting the receivers perfectly in stride so that the receivers didn't have to break stride to catch the ball, or do a lot of reaching back or juggling. Those were some freaking beautiful passes. I'd still like to see how he is throwing the deep post or go routes, which we really didn't need to do yesterday. But dang those were some pretty passes. Brown through a pretty ball too.

Chuba only had 44 yards rushing yesterday. They got him out pretty quickly, which makes sense. RBs take a lot of punishment and if they can save his body for later then they ought to.

Defense: A
The defense set the tone with the pick-6 on the second play of the game, which I missed because I was pouring myself some tea. Again, "blink and you miss it". Not much to criticize on the defense other than a couple of stupid penalties.

Special teams: ?
Did we have enough to grade?

Coaching: A-
I'm enjoying the play calling on both sides of the ball, even though the offense was pretty vanilla yesterday. I can't remember any "why did we call that in that situation" calls from either yesterday or last week.

Effort: First quarter offense D, rest of the game A for the entire team

ESPN+: The commentators were just awful. However, the format and cost isn't anywhere near as bad as the goons' pay-per-view. About midway through the first quarter I paused the video and booted up my laptop to get the radio broadcast audio on TuneIn. I was able to sync them nearly perfectly without much effort - in fact it worked better with ESPN+ than it does with DirecTV - the pause/restart with DTV is always a little tricky. I really enjoy watching the video and listening Dave, John, and RA on the radio broadcast. You learn a lot more about what's going on than you do with the ESPN doofuses who don't really know the team.

Looking forward to reading your comments on the game.

Dec 6, 2013
I definitely want Sanders starting . But I was a lot more impressed with Brown than I thought I would be. Why didn’t he get to see the field at all last year?

Rack

Federal Marshal
Oct 13, 2004
Earth
Oregon State game was the offense, last night was the defense...Hopefully for Tulsa we will put it together and play a complete game. They are better than they have been so we will likely get a decent test next Saturday...but I don't think we will really know anything meaningful about the team until they play in Austin in a couple weeks...Meanwhile 2-0 is the only acceptable start and it's where we are. Go Pokes!

Oct 30, 2007
Wow, defense was not an A. Players give good effort, but the scheme is a head scratcher it is so bad. I have no idea what the goal is scheme wise unless it is to maximize the opponents points. We stopped mcneese but we recovered against their much slower players to make stops and those will not happen in conference play.

I was glad to hear gundy be critical in the post game, so at least he sees problems. He is careful not to publicly shame anyone on the staff but hopefully he is all over Knowles one on one.

Lots to improve if we are going to win 8. KU and wvu are mcneese bad but that is it. Right now Baylor ttech and KSU look better than us. Isu and Tcu are unknowns.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rob B.

I'm......Batman.
A/V Subscriber
Aug 13, 2007
Rockin' the GL.
Wow, defense was not an A. Players give good effort, but the scheme is a head scratcher it is so bad. I have no idea what the goal is scheme wise unless it is to maximize the opponents points. We stopped mcneese but we recovered against their much slower players to make stops and those will not happen in conference play.

I was glad to hear gundy be critical in the post game, so at least he sees problems. He is careful not to publicly shame anyone on the staff but hopefully he is all over Knowles one on one.

Lots to improve if we are going to win 8. KU and wvu are mcneese bad but that is it. Right now Baylor ttech and KSU look better than us. Isu and Tcu are unknowns.

When is the last time an OSU defense had 2 goal line stops in one game?

wrenhal

Territorial Marshal
Aug 11, 2011

When is the last time an OSU defense had 2 goal line stops in one game?
Leave him alone. He harped a bunch in the game thread about the D also. He's apparently hyper focused on it.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

CocoCincinnati

Federal Marshal
Feb 7, 2007
Tulsa, OK
Offense B. We dominated an outmatched opponent so you can't really tell much from that. However, just like last week, I though our receivers did an outstanding job blocking, but early in the game they had trouble getting open. Sanders pulled the ball down and scrambled quite a few times, which is a nice weapon to have in the arsenal. I thought Sanders had some bad throws, unlike last week where he was very crisp. I am convinced he is going to be a star though...this is just his second game and there will be mistakes to learn from. Sanders needs to learn how to get down and not take hits when he runs though, good grief, two games in a row that he has been popped pretty good, get out or get down.

On that note, at least if, God forbid, something happens, Brown looks like a very capable QB as well. That second TD pass was a thing of beauty....perfect ball. After their slow start, the receivers played pretty good. Tylan Wallace is faster than I thought he was last season, holy cow. I was a bit disappointed we couldn't run more on them but as Gundy said in post game, they played to stop the run...still should be able to power your star back to a hundred yards against an overmatched foe.

Defense B. As above, hard to know much from an opponent you're supposed to dominate. As has already been said, our schemes leave a lot to be desired and if we weren't so much faster than McNeese last night, they probably would have put more points on the board. But, you have to give credit to the guys for swarming to the ball and making good tackles, several times running them down from behind or from an angle. I have to throw in how great it was to see the backups get in there and make two goal line stands in a row....good stuff.

Special Teams B. My feeling on Gundy's refusal to name a ST coordinator are well known. So far, it hasn't cost us this season and let's all hope that continues. The new punter hasn't impressed me yet.....he's had opportunities to show off his leg and so far hasn't done it. He was better last night than last week so hopefully it's ramping up as we go. On the flip side, I was VERY impressed with McNeese's punter. Good hang time and distance.....pinned us inside the 10 several times. We were able to send most kickoffs into the endzone and made good tackles when they ran them out, so that's good.

Weather F. The only more miserable game I can remember being at is the game in Lawrence in 98. So freaking hot yesterday. Sucked the energy right out of the crowd from the start. Credit where credit is due to the athletic department.....the big water stations that are spread out all over the stadium continue to be a very nice feature.

Media Time Outs F. Is it just me, or were those media times out longer than what we've seen in the past? Maybe it was just the heat that made them seem worse but for Pete's sake, they seemed to go on forever. Isn't ESPN+ a subscription service? Do they make money on the subscriptions?

Last edited:

sc5mu93

WeaselMonkey
A/V Subscriber
Oct 18, 2006
Fairfield, CT
Weather F. The only more miserable game I can remember being at is the game in Lawrence in 98. So freaking hot yesterday. Sucked the energy right out of the crowd from the start. Credit where credit is due to the athletic department.....the big water stations that are spread out all over the stadium continue to be a very nice feature.
I wasn't at yesterday's game, but I was at that 98 KU game. The heat was awful. The freaking water fountains were pumping out hot water. The emergency stations were getting exercised. That experience was so miserable for what is usually an automatic W over KU.

the truth

Deputy
A/V Subscriber
Jul 9, 2004
Offense B. We dominated an outmatched opponent so you can't really tell much from that. However, just like last week, I though our receivers did an outstanding job blocking, but early in the game they had trouble getting open. Sanders pulled the ball down and scrambled quite a few times, which is a nice weapon to have in the arsenal. I thought Sanders had some bad throws, unlike last week where he was very crisp. I am convinced he is going to be a star though...this is just his second game and there will be mistakes to learn from. Sanders needs to learn how to get down and not take hits when he runs though, good grief, two games in a row that he has been popped pretty good, get out or get down.

On that note, at least if, God forbid, something happens, Brown looks like a very capable QB as well. That second TD pass was a thing of beauty....perfect ball. After their slow start, the receivers played pretty good. Tylan Wallace is faster than I thought he was last season, holy cow. I was a bit disappointed we couldn't run more on them but as Gundy said in post game, they played to stop the run...still should be able to power your star back to a hundred yards against an overmatched foe.

Defense B. As above, hard to know much from an opponent you're supposed to dominate. As has already been said, our schemes leave a lot to be desired and if we weren't so much faster than McNeese last night, they probably would have put more points on the board. But, you have to give credit to the guys for swarming to the ball and making good tackles, several times running them down from behind or from an angle. I have to throw in how great it was to see the backups get in there and make two goal line stands in a row....good stuff.

Special Teams B. My feeling on Gundy's refusal to name a ST coordinator are well known. So far, it hasn't cost us this season and let's all hope that continues. The new punter hasn't impressed me yet.....he's had opportunities to show off his leg and so far hasn't done it. He was better last night than last week so hopefully it's ramping up as we go. On the flip side, I was VERY impressed with McNeese's punter. Good hang time and distance.....pinned us inside the 10 several times. We were able to send most kickoffs into the endzone and made good tackles when they ran them out, so that's good.

Media Time Outs F. Is it just me, or were those media times out longer than what we've seen in the past? Maybe it was just the heat that made them seem worse but for Pete's sake, they seemed to go on forever. Isn't ESPN+ a subscription service? Do they make money on the subscriptions?
It had nothing to do with ESPN+. I watched the broadcast and every break ESPN had a black screen up with "commercial timeout" after their commercials were done , it's the Cowboy Radio broadcast that caused any delays

Jostate

CPTNQUIRK called me a greenhorn
A/V Subscriber
Jun 24, 2005
Special teams: ?
Did we have enough to grade?

The only thing that really concerned me here was the decision process on receiving punts. We let one bounce for an extra 15 yards then fair caught several within the 10. Id rather let those go and see if you can get it on the 20.

PokeJ

Sheriff
Oct 27, 2003
McKinney, TX
Visit site
I think you have the handle this like the analytics in baseball. They take into consideration the ballpark and the competition. It’s McNease. Lower every every phases grade by one letter grade and your probably pretty close