Sunday Morning Coaches - Week 10 (#SquinkyLives Edition)

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.
Sep 8, 2014
The back 40
I don't think we have the talent. We are thin on the o-line, starting a former walk on at QB, and inexperienced in the secondary. I think our coaches have failed at recruiting for a couple of years, particularly on the o-line.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
Then why not at least try to scheme around it? When we do (see Boise and Texas) we see the results. It’s almost like we say “our walk on quarterback can’t throw it accurately down field..so bombs away!!!” Of course yesterday he wasn’t lighting the world on fire with short passes either....

And I know a way around the QB issue....

Defense I tend to agree with you..although the talent argument in no way explains the way we commit penalties

Last edited:

Birry

Federal Marshal
Feb 6, 2007
Landlocked
I don't think we have the talent. We are thin on the o-line, starting a former walk on at QB, and inexperienced in the secondary. I think our coaches have failed at recruiting for a couple of years, particularly on the o-line.

And yet we took the #6 team in the country behind the woodshed the week before.

That's my biggest problem with Gundy's teams. They're wildly inconsistent. We are average for an entire season, then suddenly develop a killer game plan in a bowl game. Or we're poised for greatness and find a way to squander it.

Don't tell me that we do not have the talent. We do. Our coaches just can't develop consistent plans to put our guys in the best positions to succeed.

Nov 14, 2010

I completely agree on all your assessments about the limitations of our personnel

That's exactly why, schematically, you don't run an offense that forces your QB to hold onto the ball as ours does.

Then, on defense, you don't run a press 1/4's secondary.

Instead, you adjust your scheme to help alleviate your limitations in personnel.

We play right into it

RxCowboy

Has no Rx for his orange obsession.
A/V Subscriber
Nov 8, 2004
Wishing I was in Stillwater
I completely agree on all your assessments about the limitations of our personnel

That's exactly why, schematically, you don't run an offense that forces your QB to hold onto the ball as ours does.

Then, on defense, you don't run a press 1/4's secondary.

Instead, you adjust your scheme to help alleviate your limitations in personnel.

We play right into it
Offense wasn't our problem yesterday, it was defense that couldn't stop Baylor.

RxCowboy

A/V Subscriber
Nov 8, 2004
No such "force" exists.
This is your mistake. No one has ever claimed it is a force. It is a phenomenon. That's why I asked how long you've been a fan. I've been one since 1977, which is long enough to know that the phenomenon exists. Fortunately, it rears its ugly head a lot less frequently these days. But it showed up yesterday, in spades.

Birry

Federal Marshal
Feb 6, 2007
Landlocked
This is your mistake. No one has ever claimed it is a force. It is a phenomenon. That's why I asked how long you've been a fan. I've been one since 1977, which is long enough to know that the phenomenon exists. Fortunately, it rears its ugly head a lot less frequently these days. But it showed up yesterday, in spades.
Semantics.

And nah, its still not a thing.

It's a thing because we believe it is, and that's all. I've been a fan for 50 years and, in all honesty, I'm still waiting for the epic collapse whenever we do well regardless of how hard I try not to. We have to get over it. This is not the biggest problem. Gundy has risen to his level of incompetence and we won't get to the next level with him as head coach. I don't dislike him and I appreciate what he has done to get us where we are, but it's time to make a change. As much as I'd love to buy into the "Cowboy Culture" story, it sounds more like an excuse than a vision for the future.

Jun 4, 2014
Dallas, TX
Squinky is a mindset resulting from a lack of confidence. Nothing more. Nothing less. Champions believe in themselves, not mysterious outside curses.

I did not get to watch the game yesterday and it sounds like I lucked out. So I won’t comment on the play of the team. However looking at the penalties it’s pretty clear the coaches are failing this season. The team is soft and unmotivated. I’m sure there are reasons that I am unaware of, but the program as a whole needs to be evaluated from an objective perspective.

Might be something, or might be nothing. But, having close family ties to LSU and watching that program for years, Gundy is reminding me more and more of Les Miles towards the end of his tenure. This is a scary thought.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CocoCincinnati

Federal Marshal
Feb 7, 2007
Tulsa, OK
Special Teams. I suggest that until Gundy treats special teams like 1/3 of the game, he should only receive 2/3 of his regular salary.

Defense. 6.3 yards per rush given up. Baylor's last three possessions resulted in TD's. I hope this year is due to implementing a new system and that things will improve in future years because if they don't we're in trouble.

Offense. There are 3 games left, at this point, you can get those other QB's some game experience for next season and not lose a red shirt. I will say it was nice to see the offense FINALLY open up the left side of the field and get Johnson involved, not sure what they have been waiting for.....that might have been nice to see in some of those low scoring 2nd halves we had earlier this year.

Penalties. I applauded the coaches after the UT game for cleaning up the penalties but it appears I may have been premature. The UT game now looks like an anomaly and it seems the coaches haven't fixed anything. It's not just the total yards in penalties but also the timing, so many on 3rd down stops by the defense. And the lack of discipline by some of our players that have been here for years should be the easiest thing for the coaches to fix. Regardless of what you thought about Stoops at ou, when his players committed a stupid penalty he yanked them and got in their ear on the sideline, I've never seen Gundy do that.

Coaching. We attempted two 45+ yard FG's into a 30 mph wind and the radio crew said that Ammendola hadn't been getting those there in pregame. Would have been better to punt or go for it on both occasions. Our last real possession was not managed very well almost like we were playing specifically to make Balyor use their timeouts instead of trying to score and then on 4th definitely should have punted, even if it only netted you 16 yards in field position.

Posse85

Greenhorn
Sep 24, 2017
Stillwater
How is a punting set up determined? i.e., does punting scheme set up according to defense or anticipated rush or do you set up the same every time?
your formation should be the same every time. Adjustments would be made for being pinned deep in your end zone which would compress the upbacks and kicker. Coverage should be dictated by the kicker, kicking high, low, left or right.

Dec 6, 2013
Offense: B+
I know the talk is all going to come down to the 4th down play. I think the decision to go for it there was the right one. I think the play call was a bad one, and a 5th year senior has to have the presence of mind to throw the ball away when the play isn't there, you can't take a sack.
Agree it was a bad play call, but Corny didn't even need to throw it away. Just throwing a jump ball would have been preferable. On 4th down, a long interception is equivalent to a punt, and maybe our guy comes down with it or a flag is thrown and we get the first down. No sense ever throwing the ball away on 4th down...

RxCowboy

A/V Subscriber
Nov 8, 2004
Agree it was a bad play call, but Corny didn't even need to throw it away. Just throwing a jump ball would have been preferable. On 4th down, a long interception is equivalent to a punt, and maybe our guy comes down with it or a flag is thrown and we get the first down. No sense ever throwing the ball away on 4th down...
Anything other than taking a sack. He's got to have better situational awareness than that.

Nov 6, 2010
I would agree with that
Except last year's offense would have put up 49 points by the last possession of the 4th quarter, and Baylor's last drive would have been irrelevant. Our defense certainly shot themselves in the foot plenty, but Baylor lost an entire recruiting class 3 years ago for crying out loud. They shouldn't be able to stop us at all, particularly with the talent we have at RB and receiver. I know we don't have last year's offense, but we've got an awful lot of talent still.

May 4, 2011
Charleston, SC
Anything other than taking a sack. He's got to have better situational awareness than that.
So do the coaches when Baylor has 8 in the box against 6 blockers. If you want to run on fourth and short, you better have some better power running in your toolbox. Even tech lined up under center with two TEs a couple of times. If you can't do that, call a play that works to your strengths like the pass back play we ran earlier. Maybe I missed a receiver, but it looked like he had only one legitimate throwing option and he was double covered.

TC needs better awareness, but he had no good options on that play. Coaches and blockers failed.

RxCowboy

A/V Subscriber
Nov 8, 2004
So do the coaches when Baylor has 8 in the box against 6 blockers. If you want to run on fourth and short, you better have some better power running in your toolbox. Even tech lined up under center with two TEs a couple of times. If you can't do that, call a play that works to your strengths like the pass back play we ran earlier. Maybe I missed a receiver, but it looked like he had only one legitimate throwing option and he was double covered.

TC needs better awareness, but he had no good options on that play. Coaches and blockers failed.
Yeah, my hope was that TC would have the smarts to get us out of bad plays at the LOS being a 5th year senior and all. That doesn't appear to be the case.

May 4, 2011
Charleston, SC
Yeah, my hope was that TC would have the smarts to get us out of bad plays at the LOS being a 5th year senior and all. That doesn't appear to be the case.
I agree, but I put that more on the coaches, especially with college players. Baylor's alignment looked extremely similar to the previous play (couldn't see the full formation from the broadcast camera angle). Coaches should have been better prepared.