Sunday Morning Coaches - Week 10 (#SquinkyLives Edition)

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

RxCowboy

Has no Rx for his orange obsession.
A/V Subscriber
Nov 8, 2004
Wishing I was in Stillwater
Squinky. Finding ways to snatch defeat from the jaws of victory. Squinky. For those of you who have only been fans for the last five minutes, from those of us who have been fans for the last 40-50 years, let us introduce you. Squinky. Heartache is part of being an Oklahoma State Cowboys football fan. My heart has been broken so many times the pieces are microscopic. And yet, still, things are so much better now that the differences are quantum. But Squinky. And there it is. I could end the analysis there and those who have been longtime fans would know exactly what I mean. It doesn't matter how many s**tfits you throw here on fansites, or what your "expectations" are, or whether or not you hold coaches "accountable" (whatever the freak that means). Squinky.

Offense: B+
7 for 16 on third down, 513 yard, 4.5 per rush, 31 points, 32:06 time of possession, 31 points, lead late in the 4th quarter. Our offense actually played well enough to win the game. I know the talk is all going to come down to the 4th down play. I think the decision to go for it there was the right one. I think the play call was a bad one, and a 5th year senior has to have the presence of mind to throw the ball away when the play isn't there, you can't take a sack. But still, you hand a lead to your defense, and it's your defense's job to stop them. Stop them and win the game.

Defense: F
The defense stepped on their own wankers the entire game. Time and again we had them stopped on third down only to have some major penalty that kept their drive alive, and especially on that last drive. A week after playing so well, so disciplined for at least a half (not sure they played a whole two halves) it all fell apart. It's like they read their own press clippings and believed them and felt like all they had to do this week was show up. Honestly, the performance of the defense yesterday reminded me exactly of the performance of the defense against Texas Tech, which was exactly one week after such a stellar performance against Boise State. At this point I'm really not sure what to think of Knowles. He's put together two wonderful game plans. The rest of it has been putrid. Maybe it's unfair and he needs a couple of years to recruit, I don't know. What I do know is that when it came right down to it, when we needed it most, with it all on the line, when we had them stopped, time and again the defense found stupid ways to keep them on the field and keep them in the game. The defense handed it to them. This loss is squarely on them and no one else.

Special teams: D
Sinor stopping and having a snack in the middle of a punt is a really bad idea and I hope we never see it again. I don't blame Ammendola for the two missed field goals, they were long tries against a stiff wind and really had no chance to begin with. But the decision to try the field goals into the stiff wind were bad ones. The coaches have to be watching during warmups and have some idea whether or not those are makeable. We need a special teams coach. Gundy needs to fix this.

Posse85

Greenhorn
Sep 24, 2017
Stillwater
I have to disagree with one thing, the blocked punt was not Sinor's problem, he attempted to kick it in less than 2 seconds. We had 3 receivers/gunners split wide and our interior line splits were atrocious after we "shifted" into formation. Then we only had two up men to block the 3 men that came through. We let one of their fastest defenders reach Sinor untouched. That punt would never have been kicked no matter who you had as the punter. That was a bad coaching scheme.

Oct 7, 2015
St. Elmo, CO
I knew after the UT win that that win alone would allow Gundy to jack around with another disappointing loss or two.
This season falls not on the shoulders of Taylor Cornelius. I am also guilty of placing blame on Corndog for a poor season of needless losses, but no more. Corndog is trying his best and his story is Rudy-like. However, let's put the blame where the real blames resides -- our coaching staff. And it starts at the top.

Gundy has been good for OSU, but I'm afraid his ego has superseded the program. The attention to detail on this team has continued to be an issue and nothing has been resolved.

I'm tired of watching Yurcich give us one or two games a year of promise only to follow it up with headscratching failure after failure. It's as if success irritates him. We can be moving the ball, then he drops sail to leave us dead in the water. I won't go into detail. You all know what I'm talking about. Then, as if Yurcich is infallible, he throws a walk-on Rudy under the bus for his not being able to call an offense that suits the talent. I'm tired of trying to think Yurcich gets it.

Next, Gundy has lamented game after game after game of how we need to be more disciplined, better at special teams and on and on, yet nothing gets fixed. He's sounding like that fat girl that keeps saying she wants to lose weight, but she won't go to the gym or lay off the soda and chips. All talk and no action.

Gundy talks about culture while guys like Ruhle are recruiting and rebuilding from the ashes of ruin. Iowa State, KState, Purple Baylor (TCU) have leaped over a program's success that should be much more consistently better by now recruiting and winning football games one should be winning.
Our coaching staff is consistently being out-coached every game.
I shudder to think of how embarrassing Bedlam will be next weekend.

Coming into the season, I didn't expect a Big 12 Championship, but I did expect to be better than Baylor, KState, Iowa State and Kansas and not depend on one win over UT or ou to make our season. Honestly, this coaching staff does not deserve a bowl game reward. The players might if our coaches had a freakin' clue how to prepare a team, coach a game and make smart decisions.

Coaching = <F

Oct 7, 2012
I have to disagree with one thing, the blocked punt was not Sinor's problem, he attempted to kick it in less than 2 seconds. We had 3 receivers/gunners split wide and our interior line splits were atrocious after we "shifted" into formation. Then we only had two up men to block the 3 men that came through. We let one of their fastest defenders reach Sinor untouched. That punt would never have been kicked no matter who you had as the punter. That was a bad coaching scheme.

How is a punting set up determined? i.e., does punting scheme set up according to defense or anticipated rush or do you set up the same every time?

Sep 8, 2014
The back 40
I will let this beer infused post from yesterday’s game thread speak for me...

HEY RX COWBOY...I AM THROWING UP ALL THE CROW I ATE AFTER THE TEXAS GAME!!!!!!!!!!!!

Our coaches suck..our coaches suck..our coaches suck...our coaches suck..our coaches suck!!!!!!!

Shave the mullet, shave the mullet, shave the mullet!!!

OCWTF has to go..OCWTF has to go, OCWTF has to go!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Feb 18, 2009
Coaching - fail again.

For the first time ever, I’m giving the players a P. Not for pass, but for being p*****s. I watched a lot of Baylor players flat bully our guys. We’re soft. Too soft to play this game.

Feb 18, 2009
I will let this beer infused post from yesterday’s game thread speak for me...

HEY RX COWBOY...I AM THROWING UP ALL THE CROW I ATE AFTER THE TEXAS GAME!!!!!!!!!!!!

Our coaches suck..our coaches suck..our coaches suck...our coaches suck..our coaches suck!!!!!!!

Shave the mullet, shave the mullet, shave the mullet!!!

OCWTF has to go..OCWTF has to go, OCWTF has to go!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Pay up. That’s $0.75 by my count. I take PayPal and Venmo

Jan 1, 2008
Coaching - fail again.

For the first time ever, I’m giving the players a P. Not for pass, but for being p*****s. I watched a lot of Baylor players flat bully our guys. We’re soft. Too soft to play this game.
When your coaches uses the two hand touch method in practice - that's what we get.

Sep 8, 2014
The back 40
Actually, I will give a Sunday morning coach analysis...

As a Sunday morning coach I am currently lying in bed wondering how I can justify my outrageous salary after laying yet another smoldering turd of a game at the alter of the 2018 season.

As I get ready and comb my luxurious hair I wonder why I didn’t hire a real offensive coordinator who would understand how to coach to the strengths of the players. It seems odd that just one week prior he could create an excellent game plan but then dial in the debacle we saw in Waco. (Just how many downfield passes did Taylor make yesterday?).

As I apply my spray tanner, I wonder if possibly looking to a team known for defense rather than one on Tobacco Road when picking a DC would have been a better choice. We seem to have digressed from last year (a feat some thought impossible) and we are the most undisciplined lot since the 1970’s Oakland raiders (without their level of success).

Finally, as I adjust my visor so it looks just right, I thank my lucky stars that our elderly super donor is to sick and infirm to once again intervene in the program and force me to make a change. I still shudder at the memory of the day he and Mike Leach (how is he doing out at Washington State these days? Top ten team you say? Fascinating.) showed up unannounced to just look around the facilities. It forced me to take said mega donors advice and hire that strange Red Bull fiend and bring him and his foul mouthed assistant to Stillwater. Thank heaven I only had to put up with them for a short time (I actually had ran the foul mouthed one off before..but an additional 3 years went by fast).

Well, last night was bad. I get it in my home that I should make some changes. Luckily, I know what I am doing. No one else has the ability to see my genius (accept my oc..he gets it.). Well, time for my breakfast (vodka) smoothie and to rehearse the lines for next weeks postgame..that one to will be rough, but after all these years I am getting good at explaining why I am the Sooners bitch.

Nov 14, 2010
Squinky. Finding ways to snatch defeat from the jaws of victory. Squinky. For those of you who have only been fans for the last five minutes, from those of us who have been fans for the last 40-50 years, let us introduce you. Squinky. Heartache is part of being an Oklahoma State Cowboys football fan. My heart has been broken so many times the pieces are microscopic. And yet, still, things are so much better now that the differences are quantum. But Squinky. And there it is. I could end the analysis there and those who have been longtime fans would know exactly what I mean. It doesn't matter how many s**tfits you throw here on fansites, or what your "expectations" are, or whether or not you hold coaches "accountable" (whatever the freak that means). Squinky.

7 for 16 on third down, 513 yard, 4.5 per rush, 31 points, 32:06 time of possession, 31 points, lead late in the 4th quarter. Our offense actually played well enough to win the game. I know the talk is all going to come down to the 4th down play. I think the decision to go for it there was the right one. I think the play call was a bad one, and a 5th year senior has to have the presence of mind to throw the ball away when the play isn't there, you can't take a sack. But still, you hand a lead to your defense, and it's your defense's job to stop them. Stop them and win the game.

The defense stepped on their own wankers the entire game. Time and again we had them stopped on third down only to have some major penalty that kept their drive alive, and especially on that last drive. A week after playing so well, so disciplined for at least a half (not sure they played a whole two halves) it all fell apart. It's like they read their own press clippings and believed them and felt like all they had to do this week was show up. Honestly, the performance of the defense yesterday reminded me exactly of the performance of the defense against Texas Tech, which was exactly one week after such a stellar performance against Boise State. At this point I'm really not sure what to think of Knowles. He's put together two wonderful game plans. The rest of it has been putrid. Maybe it's unfair and he needs a couple of years to recruit, I don't know. What I do know is that when it came right down to it, when we needed it most, with it all on the line, when we had them stopped, time and again the defense found stupid ways to keep them on the field and keep them in the game. The defense handed it to them. This loss is squarely on them and no one else.

Sinor stopping and having a snack in the middle of a punt is a really bad idea and I hope we never see it again. I don't blame Ammendola for the two missed field goals, they were long tries against a stiff wind and really had no chance to begin with. But the decision to try the field goals into the stiff wind were bad ones. The coaches have to be watching during warmups and have some idea whether or not those are makeable. We need a special teams coach. Gundy needs to fix this.
Agreed on all accounts about yesterday

I was there and it was just ugly

Thank goodness they didn't start Brewer or they would have scored every time they had the ball

Birry

Federal Marshal
Feb 6, 2007
Landlocked

Squinky is not a real thing. Stop using some nebulous "force" as an excuse. This falls on below average coaching. Period.

Last edited:
Oct 30, 2007
Offense: C
You have to consider the opponent when you're grading our offense. Baylor came into the game giving up over 34 points per game. They were statistically the worst defense in the Big 12. Our offense moved the ball, but they left too many points on the field. Ammendola hit whenever he was close, but he struggled on longer tries due to the wind. You have to finish off those drives against a bad defense. Cornelius struggled with down field accuracy again overthrowing 3 or 4 touchdown passes. With better execution, we would've hung 40-50 points on Baylor.

Defense: D+
The defense only gave up 7 points through most of the first 3 quarters, then they broke down. The 75 yard touchdown run came on a play where a blitzer could've made the tackle in the backfield. The 4th quarter was ugly. We had countless penalties that extended drives. It was just a sloppy performance all around.

Special Teams: F-
Special teams were horrible. We had terrible execution on the blocked punt that led to the Baylor touchdown. Ammendola missed two kicks. I know it was windy, but he has to get the job done. We had a 13 point swing on special teams. :facepalm:

Coaching: D-
The coaches did a horrible job of getting this team ready to play. Baylor was clearly the hungrier team. It blows my mind that our team could play this undisciplined in the 9th game of the season. I thought the offensive playcalling was good and bad at times. We did a great job of attacking Baylor's defense on the perimeter. The swing pass to Wallace was a great design, and it set up the pass back to Cornelius later in the game. I hated the last offensive play call on 4th down. We ran Cornelius on the previous 4th down play. The ball obviously needed to go somewhere else because Baylor was ready for it.

There's no way to sugarcoat this loss. It was an absolute epic failure. All of the positive momentum we captured against Texas is now gone. This is turning out to be a season to forget.

RxCowboy

A/V Subscriber
Nov 8, 2004

Squinky is not a real thing. Stop using some nebulous "force" be an excuse. This falls on below average coaching. Period.
How long have you been a fan?

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Nov 14, 2010
Offense: C
You have to consider the opponent when you're grading our offense. Baylor came into the game giving up over 34 points per game. They were statistically the worst defense in the Big 12. Our offense moved the ball, but they left too many points on the field. Ammendola hit whenever he was close, but he struggled on longer tries due to the wind. You have to finish off those drives against a bad defense. Cornelius struggled with down field accuracy again overthrowing 3 or 4 touchdown passes. With better execution, we would've hung 40-50 points on Baylor.

Defense: D+
The defense only gave up 7 points through most of the first 3 quarters, then they broke down. The 75 yard touchdown run came on a play where a blitzer could've made the tackle in the backfield. The 4th quarter was ugly. We had countless penalties that extended drives. It was just a sloppy performance all around.

Special Teams: F-
Special teams were horrible. We had terrible execution on the blocked punt that led to the Baylor touchdown. Ammendola missed two kicks. I know it was windy, but he has to get the job done. We had a 13 point swing on special teams. :facepalm:

Coaching: D-
The coaches did a horrible job of getting this team ready to play. Baylor was clearly the hungrier team. It blows my mind that our team could play this undisciplined in the 9th game of the season. I thought the offensive playcalling was good and bad at times. We did a great job of attacking Baylor's defense on the perimeter. The swing pass to Wallace was a great design, and it set up the pass back to Cornelius later in the game. I hated the last offensive play call on 4th down. We ran Cornelius on the previous 4th down play. The ball obviously needed to go somewhere else because Baylor was ready for it.

There's no way to sugarcoat this loss. It was an absolute epic failure. All of the positive momentum we captured against Texas is now gone. This is turning out to be a season to forget.
Agreed except defense has to be given an F

When Baylor brought in Brewer they scored every possession.

All we had to do was stop them once from scoring a TD in the last 3 drives and they couldn't do it.

Oct 30, 2007
Agreed except defense has to be given an F

When Baylor brought in Brewer they scored every possession.

All we had to do was stop them once from scoring a TD in the last 3 drives and they couldn't do it.
That's fair enough. I gave them a slight bump in grade because they held Baylor down through 3 quarters and gave up fewer points than our offense scored. But any way you cut it, they deserve a bad grade for collapsing late in the game.

Birry

Federal Marshal
Feb 6, 2007
Landlocked
Since 2002. But that's irrelevant.

No such "force" exists. It's all explained by poor coaching or lack of talent. This season I'm convinced it's mostly the former. We have the talent, it's just being put in a position to fail.

RxCowboy

A/V Subscriber
Nov 8, 2004

No such "force" exists. It's all explained by poor coaching or lack of talent. This season I'm convinced it's mostly the former. We have the talent, it's just being put in a position to fail.
I don't think we have the talent. We are thin on the o-line, starting a former walk on at QB, and inexperienced in the secondary. I think our coaches have failed at recruiting for a couple of years, particularly on the o-line.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Sep 8, 2014
The back 40

I’ve been a fan since birth but will say 73 since that is the first homecoming I really remember...

And I totally agree..this year is on the x’s and o’s, not the jimmies and joes (especially on offense)