Sunday Morning Coaches - Week 10, Leaping Horny Toads edition

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.
Nov 6, 2010
And the bomb to Stoner he hit Stoner just about perfectly in stride. He reset, planted his feet and let it fly. It was a beautiful thing, maybe the best pass he's thrown this year.
Those out routes are money for him, not sure why we don't see more of those. We hit several against Oregon State. Only remember seeing one against TCU but it was on the money.

Duke Silver

Find safe haven in a warm bathtub full of my jazz.
A/V Subscriber
Sep 17, 2004
Cozy's Bar
I'm starting to think some of that might be by design. Hutton has had some high, boomy punts. I think the coaches might be trying to set up the coverage to force more fair catches than allow for returns. I remember there were some concerns back when... Quinn? was punting that he'd kick it 50-60 yards, but it would be caught before we had any defenders back in the area.

Conversely, I've never paid much attention to our punt return formations, but there were one or two times I noticed that we keep 10 guys up on the line with only one of them backing go to go run back for support. I wonder if that's part of the reason Stoner calls for fair catches 90% of the time.
The first part you are absolutely correct. They did not want that dude to have any chance at a return. A 40 yard fair catch was way better than 52 yard punt with ten yard return. That 2 yards is worth the trade for that dude not getting the opportunity to have a game changing return.

Oct 7, 2015
St. Elmo, CO
Grateful for the win any time.

Individual honors:
Chuba - A+ Dude ran us to a win.
Harvell-Peel: A+ The Man is everywhere...and not just this game. A special player that seems to come ready to play each and every game.
Ammendola: A- He missed an FG, but made the one that FINALLY gave us a cushion. He's been solid.
Coach Dickey: A He patched together a line and those guys made some key holes. Chuba's long TD runs were blocking greatness.

Team grades:
Defense: C+- Played better as the adjustments came. Still, a large 14 point lead can disappear so quickly with this defense. Playing too soft. Not giving enough pressure after pressure worked to force a turnovers. I'm not sure how much Bill Clay has to do with game day decisions, but it's so frustrating to have to rely on our defense to win games in spite of the fact that they've shown more strength as the game when on for the last two games. There is hope, I suppose.
However, the grade has more to do with the continued missed tackles. Not being able to wrap up a guy deep in the backfield or to not break down when the ball carrier is near or just being carried 3-4 yards after the initial hit is frustrating. I find the YAC disturbing and we can't seem to coach these guys to get better at it.

Offense: C The engine that powers this vehicle, Sanders, is still not firing on all 8. He did better, but there was a lot of room for improvement going in. Watching the incredibly limited offensive plays compared to what we've become used to at OSU is like going back to Pop Warner and just hoping Chuba can break off another big one.
Sanders limited his national leading turnover machine, but still threw into double and triple coverage or underthrew his receivers allowing breakups. Our freshman beat their freshman in play yesterday, but there were plenty of freshman D'ohs.
Whenever I watch some of our past teams run a fearless, awesome, offensive juggernaut that only ou could outscore is so "Field Of Dreams" now.
I feel like a Judeo-Christian waiting for The Messiah. I"m ready. Come on, Messiah!

Coaching: B- We started out like we lit a fart and it caught our pants on fire. Then after we jumped out to a nice lead, capable of pouring gas on that fart pants fire, Gundy (he's the only one that controls that) eased way down off the race car pedal attempting to improve his gas mileage. And before you could say, "I just went to take a pee and we've lost our lead?"....we lost our lead.
Then when we pressured their young QB and it worked, we backed off again.
Gundy just does some stuff that simply baffles me. Most of that is not being able to go for the kill.

It's as if Gundy is afraid of success or he gets the freakin' heeby-jeebies like Les Miles did in Austin when we jumped out to a big lead and suddenly old Lester says, "Oh, I hit the big guy in the nose and he's going to kill me now instead of, I can beat this guy if I just keep kicking his arse."
Is it that Let's Be Nice/Oklahoma angel that sits on the one shoulder? Don't know, but it's been ongoing for a long time and I believe it to be a detriment to the program and Gundy's success.

The grade is due to the D and Oline stepping up. A little bit was to Knowles being more aggressive in the second half.

How much influence Bill Clay has on this defense seems to be pretty evident with the cushions, lack of aggressiveness and playing zone spots and sticking in those spots while receivers are just sitting down in between the zones.
When there's pressure up front, there's seems to be more success in the defense all together.

Gleeson: Pass
Coach Gleeson gets a pass on this week's grade. Gleeson seems to be hobbled due to a couple of things: 1) Sanders inability to read a D, and 2) Gundy channeling his inner Pat Jones.

Punting: C- I can't think of one time this year when our punting deserved a special mention. All I know is that it is not making any memories of booming kicks or pin-point accuracy inside the 10 yard line. I expected much more from the Aussie.

Huzzahs and Kudos:
OLine -- A for outstanding effort with a patched up line up. When they really needed to step up, they did. Now, will it last through the rest of the season? That remains to be seen, ,but it gives one hope.

Dline -- B good job, but we seem slow and weak as we're still getting shoved back about 2-3 yards at initial contact. Can't we fire out?! But no huge damage was allowed and there were some bright spots. Ford seemed to be slowed somewhat. Is he nursing an injury? And is Antwine playing? I haven't heard much out of him since he came back to OSU from CU.

Stoner: A He's no Wallace, but he is a leader and a warrior. He needs someone to take the focus off of him all the time now.

Overall: Sanders has to improve rapidly and he has to cut down on a weekly turnover. We have a bunch of receivers that can step up for Tylan, but we might as well only have one because that's all Sanders can find -- ONE.
Hubbard has got to get more time in space. Figure out something else, because everyone knows about our secret "Hubbard Up The Middle" plan. Fortunately, Chuba is superhuman and does his Chuba thang in spite of it all.
Coaches need to coach to win and put teams out of our misery. Puss Mode is unattractive and rather detrimental to success on the field and on the recruiting trail. You gave us a taste of the blood of our victors and now we want more. GO VAMPIRES!! GO POKES!!

Nov 1, 2009
Dallas
Basically came down to the fact that Pokes had two big plays, and as best as I can recall, TCU had none. And as RX pointed out, our QB played better than theirs.

I’m mystified by the lack of slants and TE passes. I wish Gundy and/or Gleason was as smart as I was about football. Idiots. (not even sure if I’m spelling OC name right as an indication of my disenfranchisement) BUT, gotta admit, getting sucked back in to GAS. Dare I say, not dreading Bedlam now?

And I LOVED the black with Orange trim.

Press On
NO JOKE

Nov 1, 2009
Dallas

Individual honors:
Harvell-Peel: A+ The Man is everywhere...and not just this game. A special player that seems to come ready to play each and every game.
Ammendola: A- He missed an FG, but made the one that FINALLY gave us a cushion. He's been solid.
Coach Dickey: A He patched together a line and those guys made some key holes. Chuba's long TD runs were blocking greatness.

Team grades:
Defense: C+- Played better as the adjustments came. Still, a large 14 point lead can disappear so quickly with this defense. Playing too soft. Not giving enough pressure after pressure worked to force a turnovers. I'm not sure how much Bill Clay has to do with game day decisions, but it's so frustrating to have to rely on our defense to win games in spite of the fact that they've shown more strength as the game when on for the last two games. There is hope, I suppose.
However, the grade has more to do with the continued missed tackles. Not being able to wrap up a guy deep in the backfield or to not break down when the ball carrier is near or just being carried 3-4 yards after the initial hit is frustrating. I find the YAC disturbing and we can't seem to coach these guys to get better at it.

Offense: C The engine that powers this vehicle, Sanders, is still not firing on all 8. He did better, but there was a lot of room for improvement going in. Watching the incredibly limited offensive plays compared to what we've become used to at OSU is like going back to Pop Warner and just hoping Chuba can break off another big one.
Sanders limited his national leading turnover machine, but still threw into double and triple coverage or underthrew his receivers allowing breakups. Our freshman beat their freshman in play yesterday, but there were plenty of freshman D'ohs.
Whenever I watch some of our past teams run a fearless, awesome, offensive juggernaut that only ou could outscore is so "Field Of Dreams" now.
I feel like a Judeo-Christian waiting for The Messiah. I"m ready. Come on, Messiah!

Coaching: B- We started out like we lit a fart and it caught our pants on fire. Then after we jumped out to a nice lead, capable of pouring gas on that fart pants fire, Gundy (he's the only one that controls that) eased way down off the race car pedal attempting to improve his gas mileage. And before you could say, "I just went to take a pee and we've lost our lead?"....we lost our lead.
Gundy just does some stuff that simply baffles me. Most of that is not being able to go for the kill.

It's as if Gundy is afraid of success or he gets the freakin' heeby-jeebies like Les Miles did in Austin when we jumped out to a big lead and suddenly old Lester says, "Oh, I hit the big guy in the nose and he's going to kill me now instead of, I can beat this guy if I just keep kicking his arse."
Is it that Let's Be Nice/Oklahoma angel that sits on the one shoulder? Don't know, but it's been ongoing for a long time and I believe it to be a detriment to the program and Gundy's success.

The grade is due to the D and Oline stepping up. A little bit was to Knowles being more aggressive in the second half.

How much influence Bill Clay has on this defense seems to be pretty evident with the cushions, lack of aggressiveness and playing zone spots and sticking in those spots while receivers are just sitting down in between the zones.
When there's pressure up front, there's seems to be more success in the defense all together.

Coach Gleeson gets a pass on this week's grade. Gleeson seems to be hobbled due to a couple of things: 1) Sanders inability to read a D, and 2) Gundy channeling his inner Pat Jones.

Punting: C- I can't think of one time this year when our punting deserved a special mention. All I know is that it is not making any memories of booming kicks or pin-point accuracy inside the 10 yard line. I expected much more from the Aussie.

Huzzahs and Kudos:
OLine -- A for outstanding effort with a patched up line up. When they really needed to step up, they did. Now, will it last through the rest of the season? That remains to be seen, ,but it gives one hope.

Dline -- B good job, but we seem slow and weak as we're still getting shoved back about 2-3 yards at initial contact. Can't we fire out?! But no huge damage was allowed and there were some bright spots. Ford seemed to be slowed somewhat. Is he nursing an injury? And is Antwine playing? I haven't heard much out of him since he came back to OSU from CU.

Stoner: A He's no Wallace, but he is a leader and a warrior. He needs someone to take the focus off of him all the time now.

Overall: Sanders has to improve rapidly and he has to cut down on a weekly turnover. We have a bunch of receivers that can step up for Tylan, but we might as well only have one because that's all Sanders can find -- ONE.
Hubbard has got to get more time in space. Figure out something else, because everyone knows about our secret "Hubbard Up The Middle" plan. Fortunately, Chuba is superhuman and does his Chuba thang in spite of it all.
Coaches need to coach to win and put teams out of our misery. Puss Mode is unattractive and rather detrimental to success on the field and on the recruiting trail. You gave us a taste of the blood of our victors and now we want more. GO VAMPIRES!! GO POKES!!
Don’t worry, Gundy is saving everything for the bedlam game :derp:

Nov 1, 2009
Dallas
Let's not get carried away just yet. As I've said before, I suspect we still have a lump or two left to take with our RSF QB. He's playing better, though, and that's encouraging.
Plus way too many chips have to fall our way for us to make the title game.. I can see ya winning 2 more - no secret to which I’m talking about

Nov 16, 2013
tractor
Let's not get carried away just yet. As I've said before, I suspect we still have a lump or two left to take with our RSF QB. He's playing better, though, and that's encouraging.
If we win the next three the odds are we get a replay of rayplor, I'm not seeing anything special in the land of goon. It's one at a time, but it could happen.

Nov 25, 2009
Kedah Malaysia

Individual honors:

Team grades:

Huzzahs and Kudos:

Wow!

Your post is lengthier than most of Daily Oklahoman articles.

Just saying......

Nov 22, 2010
Oklahoma City, OK
Offense: (A-) Didn't have our star receiver or starting center...but still managed to make big plays. Stoner stepped up big.

Defense (B+) Did a good job of getting turnovers and sacks. Came through when needed. KHP is becoming a playmaker for this Defense.

Special Teams (A) The only mishap was Ammendolas first miss of the year.

Overall (A) I thought it was a great effort from our guys battling through adversity. Solid win going into the bye week.

Jul 9, 2011
Yankees Tavern, Carlos Texas
TCU played a lot of D with effectively 8 men in the box. The 92 yard Chuba run was against 8 in th box. Looked to me like most of the game Patterson was trying to control the run and force Sanders to beat them passing. And he did.

Sanders made some runs and hit some deep passes. A successful day and a good step in the right direction.

Oct 7, 2015
St. Elmo, CO
Wow!

Your post is lengthier than most of Daily Oklahoman articles.

Just saying......
For one, the Oklahoman coverage is weak. They really don't want to report on us at all and if we get a small article they feel we should be happy with that.

But with the way of "modern communication', It's hard for many millennial type people to focus on anything longer than a sentence or two. I can see you struggle with this, too.

Read a book?! Forgettabouddit. Too much time and effort required.

I just can't say what I want to say in short attention span snippets.

If it's too long for you....don't read it.

I'm just sayin'.....

Sep 16, 2004
DFW
For one, the Oklahoman coverage is weak. They really don't want to report on us at all and if we get a small article they feel we should be happy with that.

But with the way of "modern communication', It's hard for many millennial type people to focus on anything longer than a sentence or two. I can see you struggle with this, too.

I just can't say what I want to say in short attention span snippets.

I'm just sayin'.....
To quote Ben Franklin,
I have already made this paper too long, for which I must crave pardon, not having now time to make it shorter.

jobob85

Alcoholistic Sage
A/V Subscriber
Mar 11, 2009

I just can't say what I want to say

I'm just sayin'.....
Exact reason I didn’t read it.

Feb 18, 2009
I’ll have to grade by segment. These are coaching grades not players.

1st - A
Offense looked different. Designed runs for SS. Throws all over the field (the TD was down the middle) hell, even a WR throwback to SS. Very creative.

2nd - F-
Well, that was fun. Get up 17-3, then go back to the same crap we’ve been going all year, what happens, 17-17 at half and we had them on the ropes.

Second Half as a whole - high C+, maybe rounded to an 80 because of JK and the defense. Take away the two homeruns and it’s not as high. We didn’t score off any of the turnovers if I remember correctly. We didn’t answer their one TD drive in second half, we went three and out. Someone posted in game thread, “wow, look at us relying on the defense to win a game.” That was a nice change.

Long way to go. Playmakers are there on both sides. Defense seems to be getting better, offense looks like a thoroughbred getting to the gates ready to run and the jockey fighting it to keep it calm. Then gates release and jockey forgets to turn him loose.

I honestly expected Gary Patterson to take HCMG to the woodshed. I was wrong. I really thought he would draw up a defense to take away Chuba and we would have no idea how to counter. I expected something like a 28 to 10 loss in a game that wasn’t even that close. I was wrong. Impressed with the defense. Confused by offense.

llcoolw

Territorial Marshal
Feb 7, 2005
Sammamish, Washington.Dallas, Texas.Maui, Hawaii
Ok. Finally I have seen the game. Listening to it while ESPNs picture was out was agonizing. That was some of the finest passing I’ve seen here. Play calling was a better than has been for a long while.

Yet, the biggest part to me in the rerun was the DEFENSE! Wow! And they were wearing our uniform. Rodriguez and Greene were extraordinary but Harvell-Peel is a game changer. I’ve never given the AttaBoy award twice in a row to the same recipient but Harvell-Peel gets it again. Maybe even an honorable mention goes to Knowles. The full blitz was on fire. The disguised blitz was juicy. I enjoyed watching both sides play for the first time in a long time. Solid performance all the way around. The only negative is when somebody called the dogs off and we went into protect mode. Which was foreseeable this time at least.