Sunday Morning Coaches - Week 10, Leaping Horny Toads edition

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

RxCowboy

Has no Rx for his orange obsession.
A/V Subscriber
Nov 8, 2004
Wishing I was in Stillwater
I said before the game that it would come down to which of the two freshman QBs played better and avoided costly mistakes. That turned out to be exactly the case.

Offense: B+
We still have problems sustaining drives. Fortunately, we have the Chubacabra to bail us out. I thought Stoner might be the one to step up in Wallace's absence and that also turned out to be correct, to the tune of 3 catches for 93 yards and 2 touchdowns. Sanders looked much more decisive with the ball and much less careless, which are good developments. Still, only 9 completions... when was the last time we completed only 9 passes in a game? 2005? Considering what we lost, All American receiver and experienced starting center, it was a solid performance.

Defense: A-
Three interceptions this week, three interceptions last week. It's a good time for the defense to start finding the ball. I can't remember very many "oh my gosh, will you wrap him up" missed tackles, nor did they ever really gash us on anything. Overall, maybe the best defensive performance of the season for a defense that seems to be improving.

Special Teams: A-
Downgraded because of the missed field goal. We held Reagor to basically nothing on punt returns. Overall, a solid performance.

Uniforms: B
I do not like the all black look, mainly because of bad memories (0-10-1).

Bowl eligibility wrapped up. Keeping improving over the next two weeks and we go into Bedlam on a 4-game winning streak.

What did you see in the game?

bleedinorange

Federal Marshal
Jan 11, 2010
In Pokey's head
Agreed on every point. The DC showed some of what he was reputed for with multiple blitzes from different formations. The blitz sent 2 qbs to the sideline with injuries (hopefully very minor). Good win.

Oct 30, 2007
Defense: A- This is for the adjustments that have been made. Only a few alignments that I saw that were just goofy bad yesterday. The aggressiveness on pressure has gotten a lot better.

Offense: B- superstars are great but there is no reason this cannot be a good overall offense. We continue to broadcast what we will do on too many plays, nothing over the middle, and no quick slants or TE leak outs.

Special: B+ coverage teams are good. Tcu started fair catching kickoffs. Offset by some poor punting, hit short punts do not have much value and no improvement by punter throughout the year. Also, the missed fg.

Coaching: A- good handling of the injuries and getting the team focused to win the game. Bowl eligible.

A moderately successful season is within reach but have to beat KU and wvu. 8-4 is acceptable this year. Texas bowl would be the best bowl for us. It provides the best recruiting exposure.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sc5mu93

WeaselMonkey
A/V Subscriber
Oct 18, 2006
Spring, TX
We still have problems sustaining drives
This. Our offense has now turned into the "hope Chuba hits a hole and we get a touchdown" offensive philosophy. Very inconsistent and seemed to be very one dimensional. Need to get more consistency out of the passing game.

CPTNQUIRK

I'm Your Captain!
A/V Subscriber
Nov 20, 2006
In the Boondocks in Creek County, Oklahoma
This. Our offense has now turned into the "hope Chuba hits a hole and we get a touchdown" offensive philosophy. Very inconsistent and seemed to be very one dimensional. Need to get more consistency out of the passing game.
Um..... our first two touchdowns were a long passes to Stoner.

Last edited:
Jan 14, 2006
I thought we threw the ball well in the first quarter. Really liked our game plan coming out.
Patterson is a defensive genius so he may have adjusted. Either way, I hope we build on that and see that kind of rythm going forward.

John C

Deputy
A/V Subscriber
Oct 13, 2011
Uniforms: B
I do not like the all black look, mainly because of bad memories (0-10-1).
But during 0-10-1 we had a Fat Pat on our sidelines. Yesterday, the Toadies had a Fat Pat on theirs. It’s like Bizarro World. All black is a winner.

Oct 7, 2012
Basically came down to the fact that Pokes had two big plays, and as best as I can recall, TCU had none. And as RX pointed out, our QB played better than theirs.

I’m mystified by the lack of slants and TE passes. I wish Gundy and/or Gleason was as smart as I was about football. Idiots. (not even sure if I’m spelling OC name right as an indication of my disenfranchisement) BUT, gotta admit, getting sucked back in to GAS. Dare I say, not dreading Bedlam now?

And I LOVED the black with Orange trim.

Press On

wrenhal

Territorial Marshal
Aug 11, 2011
We still have problems sustaining drives
I look at it this way, we were three dimensional. Chuba had 20 attempts at rushing, Sanders had 19 attempts at rushing, and Sanders passed for 9/15. It's really hard to say you were one-dimensional when you really didn't have a lot of offensive plays to begin with.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

kadune

Bitching about grad school
A/V Subscriber
Oct 4, 2008
CoMo
Special: Offset by some poor punting, hit short punts do not have much value and no improvement by punter throughout the year.
I'm starting to think some of that might be by design. Hutton has had some high, boomy punts. I think the coaches might be trying to set up the coverage to force more fair catches than allow for returns. I remember there were some concerns back when... Quinn? was punting that he'd kick it 50-60 yards, but it would be caught before we had any defenders back in the area.

Conversely, I've never paid much attention to our punt return formations, but there were one or two times I noticed that we keep 10 guys up on the line with only one of them backing go to go run back for support. I wonder if that's part of the reason Stoner calls for fair catches 90% of the time.

CocoCincinnati

Federal Marshal
Feb 7, 2007
Tulsa, OK
Let me start off by saying something related to admin, not coaching. Have the ribbon boards been converted entirely to advertising? I didn't see one singe score pop up on those ribbon boards all game long. Every singe time I looked over there, it was River Spirit this and Nissan that. Give us some scores Holder. Please. Thank you.

Offense. I bet we threw more deep balls yesterday than we did the rest of the Big 12 games combined. Where was this play calling when Wallace was healthy? I liked the play calling for the most part but it ticks me off that we haven't see more of it...so freaking frustrating. Obviously, once you have some success deep it makes the short game easier. O-Line did block better yesterday as well so that was good to see. Sanders still a work in progress but saw signs of him turning that corner yesterday. Some good touch on the 8 yard outs and made very few freshman mistakes. Obviously his running is still a big factor as it has always been. Still needs to work on progressing through reads and getting better at the deep ball but this is a QB we can win with. Chuba is Chuba, it's a travesty that ESPN is completely ignoring him in their hypseman talk.

Defense. I finally figured out the scheme that I hate the most in Knowles defense. Any time we put our corners in man on the outside and have everybody else playing zone in the middle, we always give up plays to somebody finding the pockets in that zone. We need to see less of that. Overall a pretty good preformance by the D. the D-Line played well against the run (aside from a couple of QB scrambles) and also got pressure on the QB several times. Very good to see. Our LB's may not get the individual attention that some in this conference get (like the kid at OU) but I'll take our two guys over anybody else's...absolute bad asses. D backs played pretty well (too many big plays given up over the middle in the scheme I referenced above), Harvel-Peel had himself a heck of a game. AJ Green may be the most penalized corner in college football but that was a very good receiver he was matched up with all game, much of the time one on one.

Special Teams. I believe Ammendola is still solid despite the miss. Hutton has obvious potential but still WAY too inconsistent. I remember one punt late in the game we were at midfield and punted to about the 22....absolutely have to pin them inside the 20 at that point and in that position. I don't blame Hutton so much as I do my continuing belief that Gundy puts almost no emphasis on special teams at all. We have zero threat to return a kick....this is perhaps the lowest threat to return a kick in the Gundy era....perhaps the Miles and Simmons eras too. It's sad to see and it would be a shame if it's because they just don't work on it much.

Nov 14, 2010
Agreed about the 2nd half

The 1st half was the best half of offense schematically all year though in my opinion

RxCowboy

A/V Subscriber
Nov 8, 2004
I bet we threw more deep balls yesterday than we did the rest of the Big 12 games combined. Where was this play calling when Wallace was healthy?
And the bomb to Stoner he hit Stoner just about perfectly in stride. He reset, planted his feet and let it fly. It was a beautiful thing, maybe the best pass he's thrown this year.

RxCowboy

A/V Subscriber
Nov 8, 2004
Why would we be willing to settle for two more wins? We have enough talent for five more wins if we get lucky and keep our heads down.
Let's not get carried away just yet. As I've said before, I suspect we still have a lump or two left to take with our RSF QB. He's playing better, though, and that's encouraging.

Nov 14, 2010
Why would we be willing to settle for two more wins? We have enough talent for five more wins if we get lucky and keep our heads down.
If we win 2 more, then a bowl to get to 9 wins, I think any and all OSU fans would have to consider that a success.

8 wins I think is a draw, and anything less than that should be considered dissapointing

The reason being is....
We are viewed as having another down year nationally.

So....
If you can still win 9 games on a perceived down year, you're program is very stable.

The problem is, losing Hubbard next year is going to burn.

Not just because of the talent we have to replace, but also the amount we rely on him is going to force some pretty massive adjustments.