Sunday Morning Coaches - Pound the Purple Kitties edition

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

RxCowboy

Has no Rx for his orange obsession.
A/V Subscriber
Nov 8, 2004
Wishing I was in Stillwater
Clearly if not fumbling on a sack is the biggest play of the game there is some major concern over ball security even with you RX. Also acknowledging that him having to think about not turning the ball over makes him less effective is another step in the maybe he doesn't have the awareness needed to be above average as a QB in the NCAA. Does he have the athletic ability to be great? Absolutely, but the bigger part of playing QB isn't athletic ability, its the ability to read defenses pre-snap and the awareness to make the right decisions without having to think about it. And that's the part that is glaring with Spencer Sanders.
Clearly ball security is an issue. Without 4 turnovers we beat Texas.

Sep 22, 2011
Therefore, Illingworth would have beat Texas, and we'd be undefeated right now, still with a chance to be in the CFP hunt.
You have absolutely zero proof of that, the backup QB is always the most popular person to the fans, but a true freshman in that situation rarely works out.

Nov 16, 2013
tractor
You have absolutely zero proof of that, the backup QB is always the most popular person to the fans, but a true freshman in that situation rarely works out.
Why not call up Dabo, Saban, Urban, or Switzer and check your theory? They all won a natty with freshmen. Gundy won't do it because of Lunt.

Aug 29, 2004
Austin, TX
What were the specifics of Gundy going ballistic on the officials after the first and goal at the K-State 1 in the 3rd quarter?
Just watched the weekly ESPN+ behind the scenes documentary and found the answer to your question. The KState band was playing non-stop during the 3 plays down on the goal line. Gundy kept yelling "the band is playing", but the refs either couldn't hear him or didn't care.

Sep 2, 2007
I rewatched them entire game on YT. I was able to replay passing plays. There were 3 plays with busted coverage that Sanders missed. He was staring at the opposite side of the field for 2, rushed out of pocket on the last. He MUST get better at (1) Looking off main target at times and (2) Speed his progressions.

My hope is the Defense will force Sanders to go thru his progressions in practice. I am calling it now...UO will cheat a safety to Wallaces’ side all game. They will NOT let #2 loose. If we are to win Bedlam, everyone will need to touch the ball. Fingers crossed Sanders can improve over bye week.

Birry

Federal Marshal
Feb 6, 2007
Landlocked
I rewatched them entire game on YT. I was able to replay passing plays. There were 3 plays with busted coverage that Sanders missed. He was staring at the opposite side of the field for 2, rushed out of pocket on the last. He MUST get better at (1) Looking off main target at times and (2) Speed his progressions.

My hope is the Defense will force Sanders to go thru his progressions in practice. I am calling it now...UO will cheat a safety to Wallaces’ side all game. They will NOT let #2 loose. If we are to win Bedlam, everyone will need to touch the ball. Fingers crossed Sanders can improve over bye week.
Yeah, it's been a chronic and obvious problem for him. A good defensive coach will be able to shut us down pretty easily as a result.

gundysburner

Banned
Banned
Jul 25, 2018
Boulder, CO
Just watched the weekly ESPN+ behind the scenes documentary and found the answer to your question. The KState band was playing non-stop during the 3 plays down on the goal line. Gundy kept yelling "the band is playing", but the refs either couldn't hear him or didn't care.
Thank you. I had no idea what he was losing his mind about at the time.

I also got a good chuckle thinking of all the posts about how he never gets upset on the sidelines anymore.

Oct 27, 2003
McKinney, TX
Visit site
I am calling it now...UO will cheat a safety to Wallaces’ side all game. They will NOT let #2 loose. If we are to win Bedlam, everyone will need to touch the ball. Fingers crossed Sanders can improve over bye week.
Hopefully that means more targets for Stoner and Wolf. Also time to get Chubba into the passing game.
I thought they at times have done a pretty good job with screens to the RBs. If my recollection is correct Brown has broken a couple or big games. Hopefully we keep it up

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sep 29, 2011
Breckenridge, CO
Why not call up Dabo, Saban, Urban, or Switzer and check your theory? They all won a natty with freshmen. Gundy won't do it because of Lunt.
Okay. The Plan “A” approach every year should be to start a Fr QB.

SMH

Sep 29, 2011
Breckenridge, CO

Were those receivers first, second or third in his progressions? Do you believe a QB goes through his complete progression before he decides which receiver he’s going to target? Have you ever heard of throwing lanes? Are they always open? Can QBs always see the entire field through the OL and DL?

Just love it when fans spot the open receiver.

Sep 29, 2011
Breckenridge, CO
So Dabo’s plan is to always start a Freshman?

Worked out great last week, huh?

About as well as starting a redshirt sophomore with happy feet, turnoveritis, and swimming head at home
In 2018 you were wanting to bench Corndog for that same player. Are you now admitting that was kinda foolish?

Nov 16, 2013
tractor
In 2018 you were wanting to bench Corndog for that same player. Are you now admitting that was kinda foolish?

At that point in time Corndog was struggling, unlike Sanders Corndog improved through the year. Which of the two current qbs doesn't turn it over? Which of the two current qbs doesn't panic? I don't want to see Sanders lose his place, but he is stuck and its not getting better. To not admit that is to make excuses for not making plays.