Sunday Morning Coaches - Pound the Purple Kitties edition

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.
Aug 29, 2004
Austin, TX
F - - - - the d-bags in the FOX booth. Can’t take Spencer Tillman’s hatred for us anymore.

Speaking of Spencer: Sanders is looking more and more like JW Walsh. Gundy always seems to have a pro-style QB on the bench behind a running QB. Weeden behind Z Rob, Rudolph behind JW, now Illingworth behind Sanders. The pro-style QB always gets his chance because of injury, but C’mon Gundy...you read a QB situation as good as Sanders reads his 3rd WR option. Not at all! Our pro-style QB’s have decent careers in FB too...if you judge one’s career by setting school records and being drafted and making millions in the NFL. The difference today is the transfer portal. How long will Illingworth sit and watch?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I don’t think Tillman has any hatred toward OSU. That said, Brando and Tillman are terrible announcers - they miss so many key aspects of the game because they’re BSing about mindless non-game related crap.

llcoolw

Territorial Marshal
Feb 7, 2005
Sammamish, Washington.Dallas, Texas.Maui, Hawaii
I’ve thought LD has been our best RB all season. Chuba isn’t nearly as quick to the hole as he was last season. LD explodes through the hole and rarely is tackled by a lineman.
I’m a fan of all their styles but LD has the moves and the power but he has that little extra part that wants defenders to go ahead try stop him. I guess I’m saying instead of working on elusiveness, he would rather hit them and see who still stands. I’m a fan of that too.

Jostate

Bluecolla's sock
A/V Subscriber
Jun 24, 2005
I’m a fan of all their styles but LD has the moves and the power but he has that little extra part that wants defenders to go ahead try stop him. I guess I’m saying instead of working on elusiveness, he would rather hit them and see who still stands. I’m a fan of that too.
Especially when you have a line that doesn't create holes.

Apr 7, 2006
What kind of message do you send your team when all you need is a half yard and you punt from KSU 45. The message is I don’t trust SS or the offensive line to gain a half yard. The punt net lead to a net 20 yard difference as KSU called for a fair catch at the 25. If you really believe in your defense you go for it on 4 and a half yard!
I think the message it sends is you trust your defense and don't want to give up field position and momentum to attempt to get a first down with an offense thats struggled all day and without your best weapons at full strength.

Nov 21, 2018
Amelia Island, FL
F - - - - the d-bags in the FOX booth. Can’t take Spencer Tillman’s hatred for us anymore.

Speaking of Spencer: Sanders is looking more and more like JW Walsh. Gundy always seems to have a pro-style QB on the bench behind a running QB. Weeden behind Z Rob, Rudolph behind JW, now Illingworth behind Sanders. The pro-style QB always gets his chance because of injury, but C’mon Gundy...you read a QB situation as good as Sanders reads his 3rd WR option. Not at all! Our pro-style QB’s have decent careers in FB too...if you judge one’s career by setting school records and being drafted and making millions in the NFL. The difference today is the transfer portal. How long will Illingworth sit and watch?

I don’t think Tillman has any hatred toward OSU. That said, Brando and Tillman are terrible announcers - they miss so many key aspects of the game because they’re BSing about mindless non-game related crap.
Maybe hatred was the wrong word. But I definitely feel he has a bias against us. For example (I’ll paraphrase here): “What a fantastic effort by Vaughan on that play, he’s so shifty and has such great awareness. Reminds me of Barry Sanders.”....on a play that goes for 2 yards. Really?

snuffy

Calf fries are the original sack lunch.
Staff
A/V Subscriber
Feb 28, 2007
Oklahoma
What kind of message do you send your team when all you need is a half yard and you punt from KSU 45. The message is I don’t trust SS or the offensive line to gain a half yard. The punt net lead to a net 20 yard difference as KSU called for a fair catch at the 25. If you really believe in your defense you go for it on 4 and a half yard!
The messsge is the defense was in good shape, having a great game while the QB was limping earlier and I can count the number of o line men who are hurt on one hand with fingers left over.

Nov 21, 2018
Amelia Island, FL
I’m going to question the going fast strategy on O. Doesn’t seem to be working. In the past, when we were an offensive team, we could get the D on their heels and it made some sense. Now, we occasionally line-up quick after picking up a first down and run it straight up the gut. It’s not fooling anyone. We have to stop wasting plays.

PokeJ

Sheriff
Oct 27, 2003
McKinney, TX
Visit site
I’m going to question the going fast strategy on O. Doesn’t seem to be working. In the past, when we were an offensive team, we could get the D on their heels and it made some sense. Now, we occasionally line-up quick after picking up a first down and run it straight up the gut. It’s not fooling anyone. We have to stop wasting plays.

And with our defense, running some clock only increase your chances

Sep 29, 2011
Breckenridge, CO

When there’s a favorable match-up with the on-field defensive personnel and the down and distance is favorable, go fast every time and twice on Sunday except late when you’re trying to chew clock. No question.

Nov 21, 2018
Amelia Island, FL

When there’s a favorable match-up with the on-field defensive personnel and the down and distance is favorable, go fast every time and twice on Sunday except late when you’re trying to chew clock. No question.

I get what you’re saying, but we haven’t had favorable match-ups for our O-line this year...ever. Not even against Tulsa. We only go fast after picking up a 1st down, and we run it between the tackles.

snuffy

Staff
A/V Subscriber
Feb 28, 2007
Oklahoma
Snuff master it’s a freaking half yard!
I get it was half yard. If the line was not a triage unit and Chuba and Sanders were not gimpy then maybe; the D was standing tall, let them bring it home and earn some well deserved praise.

Oct 30, 2007
You have to love this team.

Sanders hurt
Chuba hurt
Wallace hurt
Jenkins hurt
Sterling hurt
Brown hurt

I probably missed some, but all of them played hurt yesterday and no one gave up. I was alreay making excuses in my head in the first quarter when people were dropping like flies, but they fought back and did enough to win

Offense C: We need to figure out left tackle bad. We had about 3 second any pass play without hubert putting his head between sanders shoulders. An I dont think i saw a LB get blocked the entire game, the big runs we had were when brown was able to dodge the first LB. their front 4 dominated our line all night. But we got enough scores, mostly from heroics from Brown, so they get a passing grade.

Defense: A-: you cant give a defense a bad grade when they only give up 18 while the offense is basically absent from the game the first half. I love tre sterling, but other than the interception, he got abused badly a couple of times yesterday. Kstate does some ver interesting things with their zone read game such as the big QB keep in the first half, the read guy was the DT and we really didn't handle those wrinkles well. I dont think we were prepared for how good a runner Howard was. But we smashed them in the second half and only gave up one drive. If you havent got the message yet. This defense is something special.

special teams B: stoner muff and a couple of bad punts, including the last one. And I never want to see another Kickoff not go in the endzone. Hale made a couple of huge FG.

It must break snyders heart to watch his team play so dirty, breaks mane a bit too.
I would have to research to try to figure out all the OL players that are hurt.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

snuffy

Staff
A/V Subscriber
Feb 28, 2007
Oklahoma
Bumped, because I would like to know as well.

Hot take. I don’t think Chubba was supposed to be in the field during that time, but idk.
I think he was made about the flag thrown on the hurry up but I don’t remember the flag, offsides?

Feb 18, 2009
I won’t grade yesterday. It was damn near and INC on one side.

Going forward:

Chuba and LD on field at same time. Not in backfield together. HUGE oline spits. 4/5WR every play with Chuba or LD in slot. One read and go mandate. Ball out in less than 2.5. Short passing game becomes extension of run game. One athlete make the other guy miss and you take it to the house. But only certain fans know how an offense works and I may not be in that group.

MustangPokeFan

Territorial Marshal
Sep 9, 2005
Mustang, Ok
www.newshoesband.net
Do you trust SS and our O-Line to get 1/2 yard on 4th down against Hubert and the Cats at that crucial juncture of the game?

I don’t..... and apparently neither does Coach Dunn.

Nov 25, 2009
Kedah Malaysia
I think I've seen enough of Sanders to come to the conclusion that we have seen all that he can do and -- IT AIN'T IMPRESSIVE.

I like Spencer. I like his spirit and his will to improve, but I also wanted Bobby Reid to walk on water.

Perhaps a game plan that would get him out of the pocket, outside the tackles, with a run option that may be the best way to utilize his particular talents. His talent is NOT standing tall in the pocket and going through progressions. Let's face it -- he's had 3 years of mutiple practices, countless hours with coaches about making reads, when to hang and when to bolt. He simply doesn't have "IT".
Oh, he can continue to play and make plays as well as continue to turn the ball over, get sacked and not find a wide open receiver that wasn't a primary. And we can continue to dream about beating ou and winning a Big 12 conference championship for another year.

I'm sure this post will soon be followed with the "glass half full" fans that grew up when oSu had to practice in a parking lot and play games in a cow patty filled enclosure just on the open side of Old Central. And we are reminded on Sundays after the game of prophet TBoone's messiah that will lead us to the promised land of college football.

But, we have Gundy. Gundy doesn't like to make hard choices. Gundy has been great, but we've seen this song and dance so, so, so many times. Gundy's is loyar to a fault when it comes to a starting quarterback. Being chosen by Gundy as the starter is akin to getting a government agency job -- you have to kill someone to lose your job.
WAIT! I mean you have to be CONVICTED to lose your job.

Whether or not killing a season of promise and hopes of a National Championship playoff berth is considered "killing someone" so to speak in football season parlance enough to get one replaced with the hopes that that player may just add more to the team or be the missing piece the team's been looking for since 2011 -- I just don't know.

We saw Presley get more playing time and even score a TD with an inspiring run. We've seen other promising running backs, defensive backs and GOD KNOWS a ton of linemen getting their opportunity to shine without having to beg Gundy to put them in when needed.

Our offense used to be one that instilled fear in our opponents.
Now all of our opposing defenses know we're going up the middle on each and every first down play, which only gives us two plays to make a first and ten (if the first down run makes it back to the line of scrimmage). DCs also know that if they can load up on Wallace, their chances of stopping us moving forward is really great because Sanders can't find the 2,3 and 4th receivers.
He still cannot do that. Which makes me think Gundy has a 10 year plan for Sanders to finally get it.

All other coaches in the nation play freshmen QBs when necessary. They don't buy into Gundy's fear and we've saw a freshman QB almost beat us AGAIN yesterday.

Let's face it. We've become the Michigan of the Big 12. We swallow the pre-season hype of greatness and we even fool some major backers into our chances. But we have the Jim Harbaugh of Oklahoma.

And like Michigan fans, we always prefer a win to a loss, but it doesn't give us much hope for the the next game against Ohio State.
I think his next level position is free safety. If he is hungry enough, he'd move to FS, and can have an NFL career at FS.