Sunday Morning Coaches - Pound the Purple Kitties edition

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

RxCowboy

Has no Rx for his orange obsession.
A/V Subscriber
Nov 8, 2004
Wishing I was in Stillwater
General observations:
In the third quarter, on our third possession, on 2nd and 9 from the KSU 17 we gave up a sack for -7 yards. Wyatt Hubert blind-sided Sanders and, we a huge chop of his right arm, attempted to strip the ball as he made the sack. As Sanders was looking down field for a receiver he had the ball in both hands, and thus when Hubert attempted the strip sack Sanders held onto the ball. That was the turning point in the game, and maybe the turning point in the season, Sanders not fumbling on that sack.

+2. Last week we were -4 in turnovers and lost despite generally outplaying our opponent. This week we were +2 and won despite being generally being outplayed by our opponent.

This was unusual for KSU. There were a couple of times when they gave our players an extra push out of bounds. Sanders was hit late several times, it was called once and that wasn't the most egregious. In the second half there were a lot of gator rolls after the ball carrier was down, twisting the legs. I'm not used to seeing KSU play dirty like that. It was almost like watching the goons, but without the athleticism.

Offense: B-
I know most of you are going to grade this a lot lower. But our offensive line yesterday was held together with spit wads and duct tape. It's a wonder that Hubert didn't have 10 sacks. We were missing our all-world wide receiver, our All America running back was clearly banged up, we got a courageous performance out of our #2 back.

Sanders... clearly got the message after the turnovers last week. This week he held onto the ball and was indecisive and didn't throw to receivers that were open. Now if we can get a performance that is half-way between those two, the athleticism and talent he displayed against Texas, with some of the ball security that he displayed against KSU, minus the indecision.

Speaking of courageous performances, Dillon Stoner has been one of my favorite players for a long time. We stopped throwing to him in the late third and fourth quarter, but in my mind he really stepped up his game with Wallace not on the field.

Defense: A-
Again, I know most of you are going to grade this lower, but hear me out. We held a Big 12 opponent, who wasn't Kansas, under 20 points on the road in a game where the offense produced almost nothing in the first half. There was serious potential for the defense to collapse. Yes, I hate it that we couldn't defend the read-option QB keep. And I specially hate given up a couple of third and longs at critical points in the game. This defense had not done that to this point this year. OTOH, speaking of big plays at critical points, as they were driving in the 4th quarter I was thinking, "Boy, do we ever need a turnover"... fumble... to the house. Absolutely stunning. Then again when we need another big play, interception. The looks on the KSU sidelines was priceless. I wish they had shown the fans that were there, I'm sure there would have been some really good Surrender Cobras.

No first downs in the 3rd quarter. We needed to give our offense space to play catch-up. Our defense did exact that by becoming a stone wall in the 3rd quarter. This was as much a defensive victory as any game I've seen in the Gundy era, despite giving up a few big plays.

Special teams: B
Hutton and Hale were solid. Coverage units were solid. We did not make any huge errors. They made errors on special teams. We out ST'd KSU, even if it was just by the slimmest of margins. That was a solid effort.

Clock management: D
4th and 1/2 yard from the KSU 49, 4th quarter... pick up the 1/2 yard and you put the game away. They scored on the ensuing possession after we failed to stop a 3rd and long, so it wouldn't have made any difference if we hadn't picked up the 1/2 yard. I like the strategy of trying to get them to jump offsides. After it becomes clear that is what you're doing and they've been in a stance for a long time, then snap it. It will catch them by surprise.

The kill-the-clock drive that lasted 7 seconds or so... we still needed to move the chains. They had 3 timeouts and I guess we wanted to force them to use them, but we ended up not killing any clock. A first down changes things and an incompletion really doesn't cost any clock time. I'd be willing to bet that Stoner would've been open on a PA pass. I think you still run the offense at that point. I'd like to see the offense with the "step on their throats with a hob-nailed boot" attitude, but without the turnovers.

Uniforms: A+
Oh... my... gosh those helmets were beautiful!

Helmet stickers: Brown, Sanders, Stoner, o-line, Sterling, Ogbongbemiga, Taylor

It was an ugly win. Good teams win ugly.

Last edited:
Sep 22, 2011
You have to love this team.

Sanders hurt
Chuba hurt
Wallace hurt
Jenkins hurt
Sterling hurt
Brown hurt

I probably missed some, but all of them played hurt yesterday and no one gave up. I was alreay making excuses in my head in the first quarter when people were dropping like flies, but they fought back and did enough to win

Offense C: We need to figure out left tackle bad. We had about 3 second any pass play without hubert putting his head between sanders shoulders. An I dont think i saw a LB get blocked the entire game, the big runs we had were when brown was able to dodge the first LB. their front 4 dominated our line all night. But we got enough scores, mostly from heroics from Brown, so they get a passing grade.

Defense: A-: you cant give a defense a bad grade when they only give up 18 while the offense is basically absent from the game the first half. I love tre sterling, but other than the interception, he got abused badly a couple of times yesterday. Kstate does some ver interesting things with their zone read game such as the big QB keep in the first half, the read guy was the DT and we really didn't handle those wrinkles well. I dont think we were prepared for how good a runner Howard was. But we smashed them in the second half and only gave up one drive. If you havent got the message yet. This defense is something special.

special teams B: stoner muff and a couple of bad punts, including the last one. And I never want to see another Kickoff not go in the endzone. Hale made a couple of huge FG.

It must break snyders heart to watch his team play so dirty, breaks mane a bit too.

Rack

Legendary Cowboy
Oct 13, 2004
Earth
Great post, as always on Sunday's after games.

Agree with most all points...especially on the helmets...IMHO we will see these again. So different from anything I've ever seen us wear but they appear to be something we have been wearing for years. I'd almost say they should be one of our new standard marks (i.e. Cowboys Cursive).
1604842437306.png

Defense won the game...offense played so much better in the first half. I was out of control calling for SI and I still think he is most definitely our future, but SS played much better in the second half and helped us salvage a win on hurt wheels and shoulders. I'm so glad we have a week off for everyone to heal, we are going to need an offense to beat ou.

A good win...but their offense isn't squat compared to the squats. We have to play BOTH offense and defense in two weeks in Norman to make this happen. Thing is, we are the better team this year in terms of talent...sans our patch o-line and maybe QB to QB. What has to happen is the entire offensive team needs a wake up call to start playing the urgency on every play. This should happen in Norman, because it's ou. I can't predict a win...because I don't need my feelings hurt nor a heart attack when we play like we typically do in this game...but I really want too.

Nov 25, 2009
Kedah Malaysia
Season after season our OL groups have been patch-up jobs. We seems to be losing upperclassmen, due to discipline issues, job offers, etc. and hurt us in the games like today's.

Offense get a D, due to the OL mainly, but Sanders passing is and was always to the primary targets. He didn't scan the field and did not see beyond 2 receivers. This is sad.
Gone are the days when James Washington, Marcell Ateman, Tracy Moore, Charlie Moore, David Clidden, Jhajuan Seales etc all celebrated multiple catches in the same games.

Today, only Stoner and Wolf had share of catches. This happens when our QB is one dimensional.
If SI were to play, the WR group would be a happier bunch.

This is sad.

Sep 29, 2011
Breckenridge, CO
General observations:
In the third quarter, on our third possession, on 2nd and 9 from the KSU 17 we gave up a sack for -7 yards. Wyatt Hubert blind-sided Sanders and, we a huge chop of his right arm, attempted to strip the ball as he made the sack. As Sanders was looking down field for a receiver he had the ball in both hands, and thus when Hubert attempted the strip sack Sanders held onto the ball. That was the turning point in the game, and maybe the turning point in the season, Sanders not fumbling on that sack.

+2. Last week we were -4 in turnovers and lost despite generally outplaying our opponent. This week we were +2 and won despite being generally being outplayed by our opponent.

This was unusual for KSU. There were a couple of times when they gave our players an extra push out of bounds. Sanders was hit late several times, it was called once and that wasn't the most egregious. In the second half there were a lot of gator rolls after the ball carrier was down, twisting the legs. I'm not used to seeing KSU play dirty like that. It was almost like watching the goons, but without the athleticism.

Offense: B-
I know most of you are going to grade this a lot lower. But our offensive line yesterday was held together with spit wads and duct tape. It's a wonder that Hubert didn't have 10 sacks. We were missing our all-world wide receiver, our All America running back was clearly banged up, we got a courageous performance out of our #2 back.

Sanders... clearly got the message after the turnovers last week. This week he held onto the ball and was indecisive and didn't throw to receivers that were open. Now if we can get a performance that is half-way between those two, the athleticism and talent he displayed against Texas, with some of the ball security that he displayed against KSU, minus the indecision.

Speaking of courageous performances, Dillon Stoner has been one of my favorite players for a long time. We stopped throwing to him in the late third and fourth quarter, but in my mind he really stepped up his game with Wallace not on the field.

Defense: A-
Again, I know most of you are going to grade this lower, but hear me out. We held a Big 12 opponent, who wasn't Kansas, under 20 points on the road in a game where the offense produced almost nothing in the first half. There was serious potential for the defense to collapse. Yes, I hate it that we couldn't defend the read-option QB keep. And I specially hate given up a couple of third and longs at critical points in the game. This defense had not done that to this point this year. OTOH, speaking of big plays at critical points, as they were driving in the 4th quarter I was thinking, "Boy, do we ever need a turnover"... fumble... to the house. Absolutely stunning. Then again when we need another big play, interception. The looks on the KSU sidelines was priceless. I wish they had shown the fans that were there, I'm sure there would have been some really good Surrender Cobras.

No first downs in the 3rd quarter. We needed to give our offense space to play catch-up. Our defense did exact that by becoming a stone wall in the 3rd quarter. This was as much a defensive victory as any game I've seen in the Gundy era, despite giving up a few big plays.

Special teams: B
Hutton and Hale were solid. Coverage units were solid. We did not make any huge errors. They made errors on special teams. We out ST'd KSU, even if it was just by the slimmest of margins. That was a solid effort.

Clock management: D
4th and 1/2 yard from the KSU 49, 4th quarter... pick up the 1/2 yard and you put the game away. They scored on the ensuing possession after we failed to stop a 3rd and long, so it wouldn't have made any difference if we hadn't picked up the 1/2 yard. I like the strategy of trying to get them to jump offsides. After it becomes clear that is what you're doing and they've been in a stance for a long time, then snap it. It will catch them by surprise.

The kill-the-clock drive that lasted 7 seconds or so... we still needed to move the chains. They had 3 timeouts and I guess we wanted to force them to use them, but we ended up not killing any clock. A first down changes things and an incompletion really doesn't cost any clock time. I'd be willing to bet that Stoner would've been open on a PA pass. I think you still run the offense at that point. I'd like to see the offense with the "step on their throats with a hob-nailed boot" attitude, but without the turnovers.

Uniforms: A+
Oh... my... gosh those helmets were beautiful!

Helmet stickers: Brown, Sanders, Stoner, o-line, Sterling, Ogbongbemiga, Taylor

It was an ugly win. Good teams win ugly.
Clock management a D? That’s a fail.

There were no issues with managing the clock within the coaches control. The failure to get a first down late in the game is on the offense and is no different than any other point in the game and should be subsumed within their grade.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jostate

Bluecolla's sock
A/V Subscriber
Jun 24, 2005
Maybe the years of 50 - 40 type wins have skewed my perception of the way football is played but our Defense just can't get enough credit. In the course of a game there are going to be some plays that don't go just right but I'll keep this simple enough for me to understand it. Our D allowed 18 points and scored 7 points (giving them the extra point). That means all our offense had to do was come up with 12 points in an entire game to pull off the win. They did that with a whole extra point to spare.

I'm not bashing the offense because they are the walking dead but it's clear where this win came from.

Also, we all know kickers / punters only get talked about when something goes wrong but Hutton had to punt 8 times yesterday, averaged about 40 yards a punt with 3 of them starting K-State inside their 20. In those 8 punts only 1 was returned for any yards. Hale was 2/2, in a game like this those are pretty big. Maybe no heroics but taking care of business enough to be forgotten.

Dec 11, 2011
When it was announced that Wallace was unlikely to play, I was optimistic we’d get to see Presley get some snaps. I’d like to see him get a few more touches after yesterday; his TD came at a huge time, and he looked so calm on that play. I’m excited about him, and I’d like to have more reason to be!

CocoCincinnati

Federal Marshal
Feb 7, 2007
Tulsa, OK
Offense I
Not really sure how to rate this other than incomplete. I half expect us to start plugging H backs in as offensive tackles at some point or moving a DT over to Guard. We knew the line was in trouble before the season started and it's becoming critical. Wallace out, QB and top 2 RB's hurt, some might say it's amazing we were able to score 13 points at all. But our coaches have got to find a way to move the ball....coaching staffs do things all the time to move the ball, look at that bootleg pass to the TE that KSU was using (more about that below)....when was the last time our offensive staff did something where we as a fan base went "wow, I didn't expect that"? We did have some receivers open down field but Sanders was running for his life, have to find a way to keep the rush off him for a two seconds, but also, Sanders needs to develop better pocket awareness and down field vision. That's Rattay's job...I was hoping that having a QB coach not being the O-Coordinator would pay dividends....so far it hasn't but again, the line....

Defense C+
Maybe a bit too harsh here.....in past years, we would rate this a very good performance from the D, but this is this year. We had absolutely no answer for that bootleg pass to the TE...not just that he was getting open but also because our normally sure tackling this year seemed to disappear against the TE. Not sure why that was. Radio guys said that play was catching us off guard due to the shifts we would have to make prior to the snap and in the 2nd half we adjusted and started shifting the safeties instead., that worked for a while, but in the 4th quarter they still had quite a bit of success with that play, not sure why they didn't go back to it on their last possession but glad they didn't. That play and the QB draw killed us, we'll see both from future opponents, need to work on it.

One reason this grade could be higher is the 3rd quarter. Coming out after half and holding KSU to three straight 3 and outs was the catalyst that helped fuel the come back. But in the 4th quarter KSU stopped themselves more than we did. Oh and I was screaming at the TV when Sterling got the INT at the end "GET DOWN, GET DOWN"...for pete's sake, paly smart.

Special Teams B-
I've been saying all year that all we really expect from our special teams anymore is that they don't lose the game. They didn't. Punting continues to be a bit inconsistent but a strong wind yesterday could have contributed to that. Stoner's muff could have, probably would have, lost the game but luckily he got it back.

RxCowboy

Has no Rx for his orange obsession.
A/V Subscriber
Nov 8, 2004
Wishing I was in Stillwater
Great post, as always on Sunday's after games.

Agree with most all points...especially on the helmets...IMHO we will see these again. So different from anything I've ever seen us wear but they appear to be something we have been wearing for years. I'd almost say they should be one of our new standard marks (i.e. Cowboys Cursive).
View attachment 86957

Defense won the game...offense played so much better in the first half. I was out of control calling for SI and I still think he is most definitely our future, but SS played much better in the second half and helped us salvage a win on hurt wheels and shoulders. I'm so glad we have a week off for everyone to heal, we are going to need an offense to beat ou.

A good win...but their offense isn't squat compared to the squats. We have to play BOTH offense and defense in two weeks in Norman to make this happen. Thing is, we are the better team this year in terms of talent...sans our patch o-line and maybe QB to QB. What has to happen is the entire offensive team needs a wake up call to start playing the urgency on every play. This should happen in Norman, because it's ou. I can't predict a win...because I don't need my feelings hurt nor a heart attack when we play like we typically do in this game...but I really want too.
Those helmets are absolutely gorgeous. I want a mini-one so bad...

OSU79

Federal Marshal
A/V Subscriber
Oct 22, 2009
Back home in God's (Green) Country
Not going to rehash it all, just a few points I made aloud during the game, mostly covered by @RxCowboy in the original post:

1) the gator rolls were really pissing me off, especially as our injuries were mounting through the game. Not saying any injury was a direct result, but it's obviously been taught as a tactic, with several coming extremely late. This needs to be addressed by the league with unnecessary roughness (dangerous play) penalties. They are season-ending knee/ankle injuries waiting to happen.
2) Sanders keeping 2 hands on the ball during his interminable time in the pocket almost certainly prevented a loss, imo. A minor win for Rattay, so many more needed.
3) how in the HELL do we not provide RB/TE help to Stills on Hulbert? The occasional double team, and more often one small chip to his outside shoulder greatly levels the field for Stills. It's not as if a slight disruption to our TE routes are going to greatly affect our passing game.

And now for my most controversial take, perhaps ever:

I didn't love the helmet. The script is awesome, but the decal was too large, requiring placement so high up it looked kinda odd to me. In the pic above you could lower the C to near the horizontal bar on the face mask, maybe drop the s about half as far and make it work, but a slightly smaller decal might be better.

Oct 7, 2015
St. Elmo, CO
Season after season our OL groups have been patch-up jobs. We seems to be losing upperclassmen, due to discipline issues, job offers, etc. and hurt us in the games like today's.

Offense get a D, due to the OL mainly, but Sanders passing is and was always to the primary targets. He didn't scan the field and did not see beyond 2 receivers. This is sad.
Gone are the days when James Washington, Marcell Ateman, Tracy Moore, Charlie Moore, David Clidden, Jhajuan Seales etc all celebrated multiple catches in the same games.

Today, only Stoner and Wolf had share of catches. This happens when our QB is one dimensional.
If SI were to play, the WR group would be a happier bunch.

This is sad.
I think I've seen enough of Sanders to come to the conclusion that we have seen all that he can do and -- IT AIN'T IMPRESSIVE.

I like Spencer. I like his spirit and his will to improve, but I also wanted Bobby Reid to walk on water.

Perhaps a game plan that would get him out of the pocket, outside the tackles, with a run option that may be the best way to utilize his particular talents. His talent is NOT standing tall in the pocket and going through progressions. Let's face it -- he's had 3 years of mutiple practices, countless hours with coaches about making reads, when to hang and when to bolt. He simply doesn't have "IT".
Oh, he can continue to play and make plays as well as continue to turn the ball over, get sacked and not find a wide open receiver that wasn't a primary. And we can continue to dream about beating ou and winning a Big 12 conference championship for another year.

I'm sure this post will soon be followed with the "glass half full" fans that grew up when oSu had to practice in a parking lot and play games in a cow patty filled enclosure just on the open side of Old Central. And we are reminded on Sundays after the game of prophet TBoone's messiah that will lead us to the promised land of college football.

But, we have Gundy. Gundy doesn't like to make hard choices. Gundy has been great, but we've seen this song and dance so, so, so many times. Gundy's is loyar to a fault when it comes to a starting quarterback. Being chosen by Gundy as the starter is akin to getting a government agency job -- you have to kill someone to lose your job.
WAIT! I mean you have to be CONVICTED to lose your job.

Whether or not killing a season of promise and hopes of a National Championship playoff berth is considered "killing someone" so to speak in football season parlance enough to get one replaced with the hopes that that player may just add more to the team or be the missing piece the team's been looking for since 2011 -- I just don't know.

We saw Presley get more playing time and even score a TD with an inspiring run. We've seen other promising running backs, defensive backs and GOD KNOWS a ton of linemen getting their opportunity to shine without having to beg Gundy to put them in when needed.

Our offense used to be one that instilled fear in our opponents.
Now all of our opposing defenses know we're going up the middle on each and every first down play, which only gives us two plays to make a first and ten (if the first down run makes it back to the line of scrimmage). DCs also know that if they can load up on Wallace, their chances of stopping us moving forward is really great because Sanders can't find the 2,3 and 4th receivers.
He still cannot do that. Which makes me think Gundy has a 10 year plan for Sanders to finally get it.

All other coaches in the nation play freshmen QBs when necessary. They don't buy into Gundy's fear and we've saw a freshman QB almost beat us AGAIN yesterday.

Let's face it. We've become the Michigan of the Big 12. We swallow the pre-season hype of greatness and we even fool some major backers into our chances. But we have the Jim Harbaugh of Oklahoma.

And like Michigan fans, we always prefer a win to a loss, but it doesn't give us much hope for the the next game against Ohio State.

Nov 21, 2018
Amelia Island, FL
F - - - - the d-bags in the FOX booth. Can’t take Spencer Tillman’s hatred for us anymore.

Speaking of Spencer: Sanders is looking more and more like JW Walsh. Gundy always seems to have a pro-style QB on the bench behind a running QB. Weeden behind Z Rob, Rudolph behind JW, now Illingworth behind Sanders. The pro-style QB always gets his chance because of injury, but C’mon Gundy...you read a QB situation as good as Sanders reads his 3rd WR option. Not at all! Our pro-style QB’s have decent careers in FB too...if you judge one’s career by setting school records and being drafted and making millions in the NFL. The difference today is the transfer portal. How long will Illingworth sit and watch?

Apr 12, 2020
Stillwater
I think yesterday was a win for conservative game management, especially after what we saw at the end of the first half against Texas. Not sure I love that as a concept because I’m pretty gung-ho about being aggressive, but this defense is perfect for Gundy’s style of clock management.

The kill the clock drive used all 3 of their timeouts and pinned them deep in their own half with just less than 2 minutes. It put them in a position where they had to throw and Kstate had not shown anything threw the air, except dinky play action on creative routes. It was not a shock that the first time we showed 3 down linemen all game that fish QB immediately threw a pick.

Even the decision to punt before that, I just trust the defense so much there that I really don’t hate it. And it even worked. If we don’t get it, and the same long Tight End play happens 35 yards up the field, they probably score on that play. And since they didn’t score we forced the defensive touchdown later in the drive. I understand that’s 100% hindsight, but so is saying that the long play right after the punt is what made it the wrong decision as well. When we opted to punt, I think it was something like they’d had 3 of 4 drives that half go 3 and out for 26 yards total in the 2nd half. If you can’t trust that defense... what can you trust?

Fly

Wrangler
Jan 10, 2020
Edmond
What kind of message do you send your team when all you need is a half yard and you punt from KSU 45. The message is I don’t trust SS or the offensive line to gain a half yard. The punt net lead to a net 20 yard difference as KSU called for a fair catch at the 25. If you really believe in your defense you go for it on 4 and a half yard!

Sep 29, 2011
Breckenridge, CO
What kind of message do you send your team when all you need is a half yard and you punt from KSU 45. The message is I don’t trust SS or the offensive line to gain a half yard. The punt net lead to a net 20 yard difference as KSU called for a fair catch at the 25. If you really believe in your defense you go for it on 4 and a half yard!
Sometimes you have to play the odds given your offensive and defensive capabilities.

I read somewhere your odds of scoring a TD with a drive starting in your own territory go up around 1-2% per yard you start farther up field. In other words, KSU starting at their 40 has a 30-60% greater chance of scoring a TD than if they started at their 10.

Jostate

Bluecolla's sock
A/V Subscriber
Jun 24, 2005
You are sending the message that you know your o-line sucks and your defense is stout. Which is the message they sent to the coach the entire game.

Aug 29, 2004
Austin, TX
Atta Boy Award goes LD Brown. Hope to call him TD Brown soon. Presley gets the ABA jr.

I should give it to the defense because they won the game but the joys of watching Cowboy backs got the better of me.
I’ve thought LD has been our best RB all season. Chuba isn’t nearly as quick to the hole as he was last season. LD explodes through the hole and rarely is tackled by a lineman.