Sunday Morning Coaches - Golden Tropical Depression edition

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.
Jan 1, 2011
Houston
When was the last time we held a team o fer on 3rd down?
Heres a question to ponder...
if your teams best position group is wide receiver, which QB is better for that team? Especially when your second best positive group is running back?
mainly a runner or mainly a passer? I’ll hang up and listen.
No one seems to want to answer your question. The pocket QB that has an arm, accurate, gets rid of the ball fast (this is good with our porous line) and is confident. His passing will open up the run for the RBs after a few passes are completed. Sanders is fast , prone to injury, not real accurate with passing and has not shown me that he is a QB to lead us to a championship.

May 4, 2011
Charleston, SC
Remember when Lawerence gradually unseated a returning starter in Bryant as a true freshman at Clemson. Not saying Shane has that kind of talent but he has a skill set that in the long run might be best for the offensive tools we have

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I thought about this earlier. Illingworth may have to play for at least 1 and up to 4 games. If Sanders does have a high ankle sprain as reported, it seems unlikely that he's ready by Saturday. His performance could create a true controversy, but maybe Gundy can replicate the JW/Rudolph setup or follow how his buddy Dabo handled the split reps between Bryant and Lawrence. That would be a good problem to have.

May 4, 2011
Charleston, SC
To be fair there were a different set of rules then and German was limited but serviceable.

Illingworth gets a free year and even if he didn't, he could start WVU and Kansas to give Sanders time to get healthy and still keep his redshirt. With Rudolph, he takes a snap as a freshman and he's burned his redshirt.

Plus, Daxx wasn't great, but he at least had a deep ball. Bullock, man I don't know what he did to get a scholarship but that was awful.
What happens if Sanders is out more than 2 games? This could take longer and injury is always a risk with running QBs. They're now separated by only one class meaning if Sanders wins the QB derby, Illingworth gets only one year, right?

RxCowboy

Has no Rx for his orange obsession.
A/V Subscriber
Nov 8, 2004
Wishing I was in Stillwater
To be fair there were a different set of rules then and German was limited but serviceable.

Illingworth gets a free year and even if he didn't, he could start WVU and Kansas to give Sanders time to get healthy and still keep his redshirt. With Rudolph, he takes a snap as a freshman and he's burned his redshirt.

Plus, Daxx wasn't great, but he at least had a deep ball. Bullock, man I don't know what he did to get a scholarship but that was awful.
No, I'm sorry, but Garman was awful. The 4 worst backups I've ever seen, Chris Smith, Daxx Garman, Alex Cate, Al Pena, in that order. Bullock would be just ahead of Smith. It was Mike Gundy who had the knee injury in 1989 that gave Smith the start, suffered the week before in Bedlam. Gundy limped onto the field at the end of the third quarter and led us to 2 touchdowns and a 14-10 win over an awful Kansas State (pre-Snyder). That's why my son is named Mike.

Last edited:

Rack

Legendary Cowboy
Oct 13, 2004
Earth
I thought about this earlier. Illingworth may have to play for at least 1 and up to 4 games. If Sanders does have a high ankle sprain as reported, it seems unlikely that he's ready by Saturday. His performance could create a true controversy, but maybe Gundy can replicate the JW/Rudolph setup or follow how his buddy Dabo handled the split reps between Bryant and Lawrence. That would be a GREAT problem to have.
FIFY, we agree. IF Illingworth is anywhere near as good as Lawrence, and I think he might be, that is a fantastic "problem," and honestly, an easy choice.

Rack

Legendary Cowboy
Oct 13, 2004
Earth
Wickline left us 5 recruiting seasons ago.
Yep, our line should be full of 5th year seniors. Our outstanding lines where filled with full grown men, both mentally and physically. Those lines we stacked with 4th and 5th year guys and had more of them on the roster than we could start. A few of them played in the nfl. Need that back, if possible. I do think we have the right coach in that job, however, so its not like we are on the first step. The suspensions hurt...Not having Bray hurt. Does anyone know if he played for Tulsa?

Btw, it so nice to be talking about OSU football...refreshing semi normalcy.

Feb 15, 2017
Texas
I'm sure the coaches will figure out how to improve by watching the replay.

For example, we were all yelling at the OL on one of the early series that Bullock was in on. Play was a zone read and Chubba got swallowed for a 3 yard loss.

Well, what really happened was the DE crashed down so the CW let him go and started to the second level expecting QB to keep the ball around the end. But of course Bullock handed it to Chuba just as the DE was standing 2 feet away.

So what looked like horrible OL play was really a poor decision by the QB.

Feb 15, 2017
Texas
There was another option read where IN MY OPINION Bullock decided pre-snap he was going to keep the ball. Of course that time Tulsa didn't crash down and the safety came down in run support and they caught him for about a 4-5 yard loss.

Again, live from the stands it looked like crappy blocking on a run play but wasn't the case at all.

Last edited:

RxCowboy

A/V Subscriber
Nov 8, 2004
There was another option read where Bullock decided pre-snap he was going to keep the ball. Of course that time Tulsa didn't crash down and the safety came down in run support and they caught him for about a 4-5 yard loss.

Again, live from the stands it looked like crappy blocking on a run play but wasn't the case at all.
How do you know what he decided pre-snap?

RxCowboy

A/V Subscriber
Nov 8, 2004
Well, he sure didn't read the defense.

So ok, either he decided pre-snap or he can't read defenses. Happy ?

Or shall I start putting "in my opinion" in front of the posts so you'll be happy ?
I state my opinion all the time. In fact, the OP is nothing but opinion. That is part of the fun of this thread, giving observations and opinions about what happened in the game. However, you can't give an "opinion" on something that you can't possibly know like his pre-snap thoughts. What would you base that opinion on, ESP? A crystal ball? Magic?

Bullock being insufficient at reading defenses, now there is something that you can judge while watching the game on TV, and I would tend to agree with you. He also held on to the ball WAY too long. I can't tell you how many times I said, "You've got to get rid of the ball, son" while he was in the game. He looked very indecisive.

Nov 6, 2010
I think we'll be pleasantly surprised with Illingworth with a full week of practice and a game plan designed for his strengths. I hope the coaches actually do that instead of just taking the ball out of his hands and running it 50 times.

snuffy

Calf fries are the original sack lunch.
Staff
A/V Subscriber
Feb 28, 2007
Oklahoma
I think we'll be pleasantly surprised with Illingworth with a full week of practice and a game plan designed for his strengths. I hope the coaches actually do that instead of just taking the ball out of his hands and running it 50 times.
If we are running it 50 times that means we are putting it in Chuba’s hands at least 35 of them, you don’t want the ball in our best players hands? Not to mention the other 15 go to LD Brown who hand a very good game.

Nov 6, 2010
If we are running it 50 times that means we are putting it in Chuba’s hands at least 35 of them, you don’t want the ball in our best players hands? Not to mention the other 15 go to LD Brown who hand a very good game.
If Tulsa can shut down our one dimensional run offense, WV sure as heck can. But you're right, if we run it 50 times that at least means we're getting some first downs, so I guess that would be ok. I'm just afraid with that game plan, first downs are going to be really hard to come by.

Jul 25, 2018
Boulder, CO
Not 35 carries a game, no, this is not Ernest Anderson-era football. 35 carries a game is a recipe for injury, which is why the rest of the football world doesn't do that.

Aug 7, 2006
Well, he sure didn't read the defense.

So ok, either he decided pre-snap or he can't read defenses. Happy ?

Or shall I start putting "in my opinion" in front of the posts so you'll be happy ?
It's too bad he couldn't decide pre-snap that man coverage with no safety over the top is an automatic pass to Tylan.