Sunday Morning Coaches - Fake Toejams Edition

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

RxCowboy

Has no Rx for his orange obsession.
A/V Subscriber
Nov 8, 2004
Wishing I was in Stillwater
Overall impression, it wasn't pretty, but it wasn't exactly an ugly win. I've said many times, good teams win ugly games, bad teams lose them. That applies to whatever this was, too.

Offense: B-
There were times when Sanders and the offense looked brilliant. Then again, there were times when the offense shot itself in the foot, and times when it simply sputtered. I'm disappointed that we couldn't put together the final fourth quarter drive to put the ball game out of reach. We went very conservative after the interception. On the other hand, this is what I've been longing for forever, the ability to tell the defense, "we give you a 10 point lead, now you protect it."

Chuba's touchdown run was simply freaking amazing. Changed directions like 5 times, put his left hand on the ground, then bolted for open field... holy cow, it was Sandersesque.

It's good to see the TE/CBs getting involved in the passing game. My favorite goal-to-go play is PA pass to the TE. It is used all the time in the NFL because it freaking works. Woods' touchdown was a thing of beauty. The CBs also are blocking better than they were early in the season. The Tulsa game there were a lot of "look out" blocks... where you turn around and yell at the ball carrier, "Look out!"

Two turnovers led to 14 points. One of them came after we got a turnover of our own. Inexcusable to hand momentum back like that.

Defense: A-
This would be higher had they not allowed the final touchdown drive and kept ISU under 20 points. Y'all might talk me into a higher grade anyway. 3-13 third down conversions, and until that final drive they had only had 3-out in the 4th quarter. We held ISU well under their season average offensively. At one point in the 4th quarter, Dave and Tom mentioned that ISU only had 31 yards of offense from the mid-3rd to that point in the 4th. That is going to win a LOT of ball games. It's damn good defense.

Trey Sterling's pass breakup was absolutely beautiful. We kept pressure on Purdy all day long and never let him get comfortable in the pocket. We also didn't let him gash us with improvised runs. We gave up the 2 long runs to Breece Hall, but other than that he really didn't do much of anything special.

14 points off of turnovers. We gave up 14 points off of turnovers. One of them came after we got a turnover of our own. Inexcusable to hand momentum back like that. Yeah, I repeated myself.

Holding them under 20 points would have made it A+.

Special teams: A
Our young kicker finally missed a kick. That's forgivable. Otherwise, our special teams were simply better than theirs.

Crowd: A+
Great crowd noise for such a small crowd. Well done Cowboys fans!

Uniforms: C-
I hate the grey jerseys. The only place we should use grey as a primary color is pants.

Video review: F
C'mon, that was targeting. Even if the offensive player was being flung into him, he led with the crown of his helmet.

Helmet stickers: Trey Sterling, Colby Harvell-Peel, Jelani Woods, Alex Hale, Dillon Stoner

Last edited:
Jul 31, 2012
Near Ardmore, Okla
for offense the number 8 sticks out.

8 different receivers with at least a catch. I love seeing how we spread it around instead of focusing throwing it to 2 or 3.

defense is right about the grade I thought. The last Iowa St TD didn’t suprise me...i was more upset with the two long runs than the TD.

Our Cowboys played a really good game. Cannot say great with all the mental mistakes that we had. Too many penaltie. Need to clean them up.

great job with the grading

Jostate

Bluecolla's sock
A/V Subscriber
Jun 24, 2005
Overall impression, it wasn't pretty, but it wasn't exactly an ugly win. I've said many times, good teams win ugly games, bad teams lose them. That applies to whatever this was, too.

Offense: B-
There were times when Sanders and the offense looked brilliant. Then again, there were times when the offense shot itself in the foot, and times when it simply sputtered. I'm disappointed that we couldn't put together the final fourth quarter drive to put the ball game out of reach. We went very conservative after the interception. On the other hand, this is what I've been longing for forever, the ability to tell the defense, "we give you a 10 point lead, now you protect it."

Chuba's touchdown run was simply freaking amazing. Changed directions like 5 times, put his left hand on the ground, then bolted for open field... holy cow, it was Sandersesque.

It's good to see the TE/CBs getting involved in the passing game. My favorite goal-to-go play is PA pass to the TE. It is used all the time in the NFL because it freaking works. Woods' touchdown was a thing of beauty. The CBs also are blocking better than they were early in the season. The Tulsa game there were a lot of "look out" blocks... where you turn around and yell at the ball carrier, "Look out!"

Two turnovers led to 14 points. One of them came after we got a turnover of our own. Inexcusable to hand momentum back like that.

Defense: A-
This would be higher had they not allowed the final touchdown drive and kept ISU under 20 points. Y'all might talk me into a higher grade anyway. 3-13 third down conversions, and until that final drive they had only had 3-out in the 4th quarter. We held ISU well under their season average offensively. At one point in the 4th quarter, Dave and Tom mentioned that ISU only had 31 yards of offense from the mid-3rd to that point in the 4th. That is going to win a LOT of ball games. It's damn good defense.

Trey Sterling's pass breakup was absolutely beautiful. We kept pressure on Purdy all day long and never let him get comfortable in the pocket. We also didn't let him gash us with improvised runs. We gave up the 2 long runs to Breece Hall, but other than that he really didn't do much of anything special.

14 points off of turnovers. We gave up 14 points off of turnovers. One of them came after we got a turnover of our own. Inexcusable to hand momentum back like that. Yeah, I repeated myself.

Holding them under 20 points would have made it A+.

Special teams: A
Our young kicker finally missed a kick. That's forgivable. Otherwise, our special teams were simply better than theirs.

Crowd: A+
Great crowd noise for such a small crowd. Well done Cowboys fans!

Uniforms: C-
I hate the grey jerseys. The only place we should use grey as a primary color is pants.

Video review: F
C'mon, that was targeting. Even if the offensive player was being flung into him, he led with the crown of his helmet.

Helmet stickers: Trey Sterling, Colby Harvell-Peel, Jelani Woods, Alex Hale, Dillon Stoner
I think our offense could be graded on a curve. They looked, pretty good, with some troubles, but Iowa State has a good defense that will expose flaws. One of those interceptions was pretty acrobatic.

As far as the video review I'd also add that the Iowa State receiver's toe was on the white line when he got control of that pass.

Jostate

Bluecolla's sock
A/V Subscriber
Jun 24, 2005
defense is right about the grade I thought. The last Iowa St TD didn’t suprise me...i was more upset with the two long runs than the TD.
Good point. Giving up 70 yards in one play does skew the total yards a bit.

Rack

Legendary Cowboy
Oct 13, 2004
Earth
I think Rx's grades are spot on. I also noted that offense was more creative and that is the type of things we need to do with a QB that is a runner who improvises on the fly sometimes and who might be better at the short game than the long. Never the less he can still throw it pretty dang well, just need to design more games like today on offense. I'm inspired because I know that the running game with CH will get better as we go and he starts to realize he doesn't have much time left to impress NFL scouts if he wants to improve his position. I think he had be tentative up until KU and I think now that we have games week after week for a while we are going to see major improvement on offense all over the formations. Fox commentator Spenser Tillman made some very good observations in the fourth quarter about the Hubbard and Gundy thing and was especially complementary of Gundy and how he ultimately handled things AND talked about Chuba shifting his focus back as a young man to football and what's going to profit him in the long run after all the craziness of that situation. That was VERY good and unbiased to hear that regarding Gundy's good character from a national media person. I thought that was really great and what fans that still think that was a mistake, on either person part, need to focus upon.

Rack

Legendary Cowboy
Oct 13, 2004
Earth
I think our offense could be graded on a curve. They looked, pretty good, with some troubles, but Iowa State has a good defense that will expose flaws. One of those interceptions was pretty acrobatic.

As far as the video review I'd also add that the Iowa State receiver's toe was on the white line when he got control of that pass.
That and the hold on Wallace were a bit off. The hold on Wallace took 7 points off the board for us and the ISU receiver catch actually enabled them to score there at the end making it a one score game. Either of those go our way and we win going away despite "Gundy's conservative play calling."

I would love to see us better on offense next week so that we can just move it down the field and score at will. Would love nothing more that to see so much fire power that we are up big and play SI a ton in the second half. Maybe a pipe dream, but it's obtainable. They ARE Texas, but their defense is suspect this year...we should score more on them than we have been.

Beat Texas!

Sep 22, 2011
ISU is a very good team, they have a tough, disciplined defense with an athletic back end, and they are very good at keeping everything infront of them and stopping the zone read and RPO. On offense their line was very good and if we missed a gap assignment breece hall made us pay,. Brock purdy may be the best QB in the league and those tight ends are tough to cover.

All of that said, we throttled that team. Save for 2 interceptions on terrible dumb throws, 2 big running plays, a lot of terrible calls, and the play where the end runs right past purdy on the score. To me the score was a lot closer at the end than the game felt.

Offense: B, at times we looked unstoppable, but others we cant get out of our own way. Wallace dropped a ball in the end zone on the first drive, sanders had 2 terrible decisions turn into picks, which turned into points, we missed a ton of second level blocks which is a huge deal when they are playing 3 man fronts. But big plays by sanders wallace and Chuba carried us through. Chuba was back to 2019 Chuba, hopefully he has his head right moving forward.

Defense B: I wished i could give them more because save for 3 drives they were dominant, our biggest issues were the size mismatches against the TEs, a few terrible plays by the backside ends and not being able to handle how good Purdy is with his zone read meshes. And prevent defense only prevents victory.

special teams: C bad punts, missed field goal, bobbled dropkick, but the field goal and fielding the onside keep them passing

helmet stickers: Tre sterling is omnipresent, harvel-peel for the ridiculous interception, Chuba is back, jelani woods can catch and made a couple huge blocks, logan carter quietly made 2 huge first down catches, trace ford for haunting Purdy’s dreams for the next few weeks.

summary: We played like a team that hasn’t played for a while, and for 90% of the game we smashed a very good team. Clean up the mistakes and we have something very special.

Sep 22, 2011
Oh yeah, the officiating was terrible, i usually try to give them the benefit of the doubt, but let me just try to list some of the issues.
The non targeting
Kolar did not catch that ball on the sideline
Multiple push offs by ISU TE
Phantom OPI on wallace,
Terrible holding call on wallace
Defensive holding on williams in the last ISU drive when the receiver flat ran into him
The general slow decision making pace and inserting themselves into the game constantly, just really bad

Rack

Legendary Cowboy
Oct 13, 2004
Earth
Oh yeah, the officiating was terrible, i usually try to give them the benefit of the doubt, but let me just try to list some of the issues.
The non targeting
Kolar did not catch that ball on the sideline
Multiple push offs by ISU TE
Phantom OPI on wallace,
Terrible holding call on wallace
Defensive holding on williams in the last ISU drive when the receiver flat ran into him
The general slow decision making pace and inserting themselves into the game constantly, just really bad
Their last drive was aided and abetted by very poor officiating. It's as if they were trying to create a more interesting game by giving ISU an opportunity to score by giving them that pass clearly out of control on the sideline to Kolar.

CocoCincinnati

Federal Marshal
Feb 7, 2007
Tulsa, OK
Offense B-
Play calling was not great. SS stared right at the receiver on the 2nd INT, need to learn to look the DB's off, but shouldn't have thrown the ball anyway, the defender was in perfect position for the pick. On the plus side, on the play with the fumbled snap, SS didn't panic and still made the play at a crucial time. OLine I guess continues to do the best they can considering how thin we are...that needs to be the primary focus of recruiting. Converted several 3rd and longs, which is good, but can't ignore why we were in so many 3rd and longs in the first place....stubborn runs up the middle for 1 or 2 yards. At one point in the 2nd half we were 6-12 on 3rd downs...we finished the game 6-16, I'll let you do the math. We played not to lose at the end, luckily it worked by the skin of our teeth.

Defense A-
Two plays resulting in 130 of their yards.....Not sure what happened on the first one, but the D End HAS to keep contain on that second one that went for a TD. And 2 TD's off turnovers (although only one of those was a short field). Take those out and not a bad day. I keep hearing people say Purdy is a 1st day NFL pick but I haven't seen it when we've played them. Kolar though is a stud and definite NFL talent....he was open a few times and Purdy just flat out missed him. LB's didn't play as good as we are used to but they have set the bar very high for themselves with their excellent play until now...I'm not worried about them. I hope the kid who was hurt is OK, I have a feeling we are going to need lots of depth on D next week.

Special Teams C
Missed FG and lucky to cover that deep onside "punt". The thing that stands out to me most are two consecutive punts in the second half when the game was still very much in doubt. They went for 38 and 39 yards respectively and those drives started at the 28 and 25. HAVE to get those inside the 20 from that part of the field or at least near the 20.

Next week is the real test. Regardless of how UT is playing, they have the best pure talent by far of anybody we have faced. Need to be sharp in all 3 phases of the game.

Last edited:

Rack

Legendary Cowboy
Oct 13, 2004
Earth
At this point IMO you cannot be even on the fence about Sanders versus Illingworth. Sanders is way better right now.
Why even go there? They are so different as is the offense when they play. IMHO, BOTH are outstanding QB's and I like the style of Illingworth (aka Weeden/Rudolph) on the field better than Sanders (aka the Modern pro everyone is in love with these days) but I see him getting hurt too much so far. I hope he doesn't get hurt the rest of this year, but I'm VERY comforted with Illingworth in the game if he does. SI is the better passer, has better size and "should be" more durable just due to that alone, and SS is obviously the better runner and seems more peppy in terms of spirit on the field...Both are Wonderful players and seemingly people that seemingly root each other on when they aren't playing..which is awesome to have...it's that simple. I was very impressed with Sanders reaction to Illingworth's success while he was sidelined. That gives me more comfort than playing ability actually. The fact that we have both of these studs on our team and in our locker room is a huge deal for now and the future both. If we make a historic meaniful run this year we are going to NEED both.

Last edited:
Jan 14, 2006
ISU is a very good team, they have a tough, disciplined defense with an athletic back end, and they are very good at keeping everything infront of them and stopping the zone read and RPO. On offense their line was very good and if we missed a gap assignment breece hall made us pay,. Brock purdy may be the best QB in the league and those tight ends are tough to cover.

All of that said, we throttled that team. Save for 2 interceptions on terrible dumb throws, 2 big running plays, a lot of terrible calls, and the play where the end runs right past purdy on the score. To me the score was a lot closer at the end than the game felt.

Offense: B, at times we looked unstoppable, but others we cant get out of our own way. Wallace dropped a ball in the end zone on the first drive, sanders had 2 terrible decisions turn into picks, which turned into points, we missed a ton of second level blocks which is a huge deal when they are playing 3 man fronts. But big plays by sanders wallace and Chuba carried us through. Chuba was back to 2019 Chuba, hopefully he has his head right moving forward.

Defense B: I wished i could give them more because save for 3 drives they were dominant, our biggest issues were the size mismatches against the TEs, a few terrible plays by the backside ends and not being able to handle how good Purdy is with his zone read meshes. And prevent defense only prevents victory.

special teams: C bad punts, missed field goal, bobbled dropkick, but the field goal and fielding the onside keep them passing

helmet stickers: Tre sterling is omnipresent, harvel-peel for the ridiculous interception, Chuba is back, jelani woods can catch and made a couple huge blocks, logan carter quietly made 2 huge first down catches, trace ford for haunting Purdy’s dreams for the next few weeks.

summary: We played like a team that hasn’t played for a while, and for 90% of the game we smashed a very good team. Clean up the mistakes and we have something very special.
I agree completely.

It's good to see that we can:
- put up an average B performance
- turn it over in our own territory
- give up two 60+ yard runs
- have 3 borderline calls go against us on big plays
And still beat possibly the 2nd best team in the conference at their best.

Apr 12, 2020
Stillwater
Was anybody able to keep their eyes on the corners yesterday? I noticed how much we were trusting them repeatedly pre snap but I wasn’t sure how they played in game. Darn thing about corners is that you only tend to remember the completions against them lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Apr 12, 2020
Stillwater
Our defense may be absolutely phenomenal. I’m never a fan of saying “take out the 2 big plays” BUT those plays, especially the first one, were problems specifically because of the power scheme ISU is running. A lot less likely that a more spread out team like OU or Texas is going to create the same problem. We crack down on those, and boy oh boy our defense may be special.

Nov 6, 2010
Our defense may be absolutely phenomenal. I’m never a fan of saying “take out the 2 big plays” BUT those plays, especially the first one, were problems specifically because of the power scheme ISU is running. A lot less likely that a more spread out team like OU or Texas is going to create the same problem. We crack down on those, and boy oh boy our defense may be special.

Sterling is playing unbelievable this year.