Sunday Morning Coaches - Couch Burning edition

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

AshlandFlash

It seemed like a good idea at the time
A/V Subscriber
Aug 24, 2007
OK, someone who pays attention to pregame shows involving uo homers answer this. Carson Cunningham has repeated on each of his post-game reports that prior to the game where he was put in the ring of honor, in the pregame show, Thurman complained of the treatment alumni players get at OSU. Brandon Weeden was also named as saying this. I have seen nothing reporting that except Carson cOUnningham. Did it happen?

SanditeCowboy

Territorial Marshal
Jan 11, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
OK, someone who pays attention to pregame shows involving uo homers answer this. Carson Cunningham has repeated on each of his post-game reports that prior to the game where he was put in the ring of honor, in the pregame show, Thurman complained of the treatment alumni players get at OSU. Brandon Weeden was also named as saying this. I have seen nothing reporting that except Carson cOUnningham. Did it happen?
Yes but Thomas’ point was that is the way it has been in the past. As far as he was concerned it was water under the bridge.

In the Game Day Live at Eskimo Joes radio show that Rex Holt does Thomas specifically said he is all in in doing what he can to support OSU anyway he can. Even said he would move closer to Stillwater so he could get there easier to have more of a presence to help.

Thomas is not bent on the issue, he is wanting to work with OSU to connect former players with the university.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Mar 8, 2010
For these of you down on our OC and play calling, remember we have a true freshman running things. Also why would want to show the contenders in our league our entire play book? Give our all time winningest HC some credit for developing a strategy for the entire season! Play calling shouldn’t be judged until we play one of the big boys

Nov 6, 2010
Yes but Thomas’ point was that is the way it has been in the past. As far as he was concerned it was water under the bridge.

In the Game Day Live at Eskimo Joes radio show that Rex Holt does Thomas specifically said he is all in in doing what her can to support OSU anyway he can. Even said he would move closer to Stillwater so he could get there easier to have more of a presence to help.

Thomas is not bent on the issue, he is wanting to work with OSU to connect former players with the university.

Yea, this is a good thing. I know in my experience sometimes if you notice a lack of leadership in any area, it may mean that void is there for you to fill. Here's to hoping Thurman and Weeden take on that leadership and work with the AD to usher in the era they're yearning for.

Jostate

Bluecolla's sock
A/V Subscriber
Jun 24, 2005
So summing up this thread Defense A, Offense B and Special Teams A yet the coaches are complete failures?

I can't give our Offense a B on a day they produce 20 points.

Nov 6, 2010
For these of you down on our OC and play calling, remember we have a true freshman running things. Also why would want to show the contenders in our league our entire play book? Give our all time winningest HC some credit for developing a strategy for the entire season! Play calling shouldn’t be judged until we play one of the big boys
I know the main thing I wanted to see out of the game plan yesterday was to come out throwing, which is exactly what we did. I would have been very disappointed if we had come out of the gate conservative. I think by starting the game letting Illingworth play, we made their d respect the threat at least. I have no problem going conservative after we got a 10 point lead. When you have good running backs and a lead in the 4th quarter, you're supposed to run the ball.

Nov 6, 2010
Take this for what it's worth, but according to the radio broadcast, Gundy was saying the team still isn't in great shape due to the weird nature of this season so far...and because of that, in addition to the fairly warm temps yesterday, they were planning on rotating a lot of personnel in on defense.
I guess I can see that, plus we have a couple ends that are pushing 300 lbs, so I'm sure that any conditioning issues will show up pretty quick with those guys. But I don't remember seeing Antwine yesterday, did he play??

Good to see Waltershied either way, he has to be ahead of schedule. I don't think his brother saw the field until his RS Jr year, and he was pretty good for us.

the truth

Deputy
A/V Subscriber
Jul 9, 2004
I agree for the most part but the coaching should be a B- at best. Mainly for the offensive play calling as we are back to our 3rd and forever draw plays or WR screens etc. I get we had a backup QB at the helm but i'd like to see a little more variety in our play calling than we did. Why not give our guys a chance to get the first down instead of a likely punt? Very poor effort by the coaching staff on that aspect IMO.
u have no clue

the truth

Deputy
A/V Subscriber
Jul 9, 2004
Petty much agree with everyone, but wanted to comment on the play calling, which deserves an F. I know Illy is a frosh, but the young man is in college, higher learning and all that. There is no reason that the offensive coaches couldn't have taken him, wallace, and the offensive team, and draw up on the spot, a play or two to get Wallace the ball, or draw up a decent play. I like Illingworth's gumption, on the radio RA overheard Illingworth coming off the field after a third and out, jogs up to Rattay and says "seriously". He wanted to go for it. This young man is going to be special, but he's being held back too much IMO.
you are a certifiable idiot. wouldn't know a football if it hit you n the head

Rack

Legendary Cowboy
Oct 13, 2004
Earth
Winning with defense when we were never able too in the past is a big deal. I’m excited for the future...

coaching was pretty good. We kept things close to the best and still
Won fairly comfortably. WVU isn’t terrible and we made their decent offense look bad. Offense needs to improve both in terms of coaching and execution...but overall good job!

Rack

Legendary Cowboy
Oct 13, 2004
Earth
I guess I can see that, plus we have a couple ends that are pushing 300 lbs, so I'm sure that any conditioning issues will show up pretty quick with those guys. But I don't remember seeing Antwine yesterday, did he play??

Good to see Waltershied either way, he has to be ahead of schedule. I don't think his brother saw the field until his RS Jr year, and he was pretty good for us.
Antwine played quite a bit and I think he did pretty well.

Birry

Federal Marshal
Feb 6, 2007
Landlocked
Please stop with the whole "hide your playbook" nonsense. We're not talking about trick plays or gimmicks that we need to break out when needed. Many of us just dislike our generally conservative approach, and think we are too predictable. Just basics like throwing to TEs, RBs, and running slants and drags. I'm talking creative play calling, not trick plays that need to be hidden.

Dec 17, 2011
Alex hale is probably the best kicker we have had since Quinn so far. I mean he has been so accurate and can definitely hit from 50+ easily i bet

AshlandFlash

It seemed like a good idea at the time
A/V Subscriber
Aug 24, 2007

In the Game Day Live at Eskimo Joes radio show that Rex Holt does Thomas specifically said he is all in in doing what her can to support OSU anyway he can. Even said he would move closer to Stillwater so he could get there easier to have more of a presence to help.

So, my first inclination was right. cOUnningham was trying to make up a controversary that wasn't even there.

Apr 7, 2006
I think some here forget that the goal for the coaches of a football game isn't to impress messagd board heroes. If you can keep it vanilla and allow your defense and special teams to win then you accomplish what your main goal.

Nov 16, 2013
tractor
As I was watching yesterday I started to get frustrated with the offense, then I saw something that I haven't seen since Weeden and that was the spacing in the backfield. The way they are set they can go do what they want when they want. I think the aggressive cowboy back offense is coming back

Sep 22, 2011
Please stop with the whole "hide your playbook" nonsense. We're not talking about trick plays or gimmicks that we need to break out when needed. Many of us just dislike our generally conservative approach, and think we are too predictable. Just basics like throwing to TEs, RBs, and running slants and drags. I'm talking creative play calling, not trick plays that need to be hidden.
I am not saying they were hiding the playbook, i am saying The coaches are comfortable with Illingworth and our OL running about 10% of the playbook, and are especially uncomfortable with Illingworth throwing over the middle, case in point the interception. Hang in there, the play calling will get better, especially when SS gets back in

Oct 16, 2003
Enid
I heard Brandon Weeden talk with Tom Dirato about the disconnect between OSU and former players. He said OSU wants the former players $ but they don't treat them the way OU does. (I didn't hear the whole interview and am not sure what he was talking about.)

Birry

Federal Marshal
Feb 6, 2007
Landlocked
I am not saying they were hiding the playbook, i am saying The coaches are comfortable with Illingworth and our OL running about 10% of the playbook, and are especially uncomfortable with Illingworth throwing over the middle, case in point the interception. Hang in there, the play calling will get better, especially when SS gets back in
I'd like to predict a similar outcome, but people have been saying what you just said since Monken left, and it hasn't happened. Was hopeful that Dunn might bring some new stuff, but it's not looking super promising.