Sunday Morning Coaches - Aggies vs Sand Aggies edition

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.
Aug 22, 2006
SE Oklahoma
That's really my only disagreement. After we got the ball on the 50 following the safety, score there and you step on their throats. We really didn't kill much clock with 3 straight line plunges for 3 total yards. Pick up a first down and you're looking at killing a couple of minutes.
I don't mind trying to run clock there and we were making yards pretty easily running on Tech, what I didn't like in particular was the formation we were running out of, a single back. Anyone that has watched a game in the last 7 years or so know that with a lead in the 4th Gundy is going ultra conservative, why not line up in the diamond or an I and pound it, get a couple more blockers in there and make a cutback lane for the RB. We weren't fooling anyone with a single back formation.

Cimarron

It's not dying I'm talking about, it's living.
Jun 28, 2007
Leading 21-17, gaining possession to start the second half and with time-outs in your pocket.

There is an opportunity to make a significant momentum shift in the game at your door.

Using no time-outs and taking 1:33 OSU moved the ball in five plays 30 yards to the OSU 40 yard line.

Three more plays and you're at the 50 yard line with a first down and 0:25 left on the clock.

You've got two more time-outs in your pocket and you're 20 yards from FG distance.... And Gundy basically chooses to burn the clock.

Instead of trying to score points, it's more as if Gundy's just trying to get off the field.

Last edited:

Birry

Federal Marshal
Feb 6, 2007
Landlocked
Instead of trying to score points, it's more as if Gundy's just trying to get off the field.
100% agree. It's literally the only thing that makes sense anymore. Gundy is afraid and stressed out by the actual games, and does everything in his power to get them over with as quick as possible so he can hit the fishing hole or go feed the critters on the Gundy Ranch.

Cimarron

It's not dying I'm talking about, it's living.
Jun 28, 2007
100% agree. It's literally the only thing that makes sense anymore. Gundy is afraid and stressed out by the actual games, and does everything in his power to get them over with as quick as possible so he can hit the fishing hole or go feed the critters on the Gundy Ranch.
I don't think that's it but rather an overly conservative approach of being afraid something will go wrong. In my view you if you've coached your kids to be disciplined then you should be more confident things will go right, not concerned they will go wrong.

Against Tech that was Gundy's approach in the 4th QTR. Two pass incompletions and 13 running plays.

The only points we scored in the 4th QTR was a safety and a TD on 5 consecutive running plays.

After the safety we had 4 plays that resulted in 3 yards and a fumble....... While Tech scored two TDs.

NinjaPoke

Cowboy
A/V Subscriber
Jul 9, 2016
Lawton, OK
Leading 21-17, gaining possession to start the second half and with time-outs in your pocket.

There is an opportunity to make a significant momentum shift in the game at your door.

Using no time-outs and taking 1:33 OSU moved the ball in five plays 30 yards to the OSU 40 yard line.

Three more plays and you're at the 50 yard line with a first down and 0:25 left on the clock.

You've got two more time-outs in your pocket and you're 20 yards from FG distance.... And Gundy basically chooses to burn the clock.

I’ve said this before but I believe it’s a sign of the trust Gundy has on his players...i.e very little.

I believe this came from the Texas game. With about a minute and some change left in the first half....Gundy decided to get some points but this ultimately led to the Chubba/Sanders fumble in which Texas were able to convert into 3 points.

Had Gundy been ultra conservative as he’s known for...the Texas game would’ve been a win.

Feb 15, 2017
Texas
Other coaches have long memories too.
KSU coach decided against chasing points after TDs after it workEd against him in our game.
so he kicks PATs on 4Q TDs and loses to Baylor by one point

Feb 15, 2017
Texas
Chasing points in the 1Q and chasing points in the 4Q are different things.
Sure, it was dumb to do it in 1Q and not in the 4Q.

The point was that in the first game he chased points so the next game he did not. So coaches sometimes recall what burnt them (chasing points) and so they don't do it the next time.
Like Gundy going for a score before the half and the other team scores (Texas) so he doesn't do it vs Tech.

Different scenarios require different thinking but sometimes recent experience is hard to overcome.

Nov 25, 2009
Kedah Malaysia

It is obvious we had abandon our 2 minutes Offense. We no longer practice that as we had previously emphasis it deem seen.

wrenhal

Federal Marshal
Aug 11, 2011

It is obvious we had abandon our 2 minutes Offense. We no longer practice that as we had previously emphasis it deem seen.
And you know that we don't have a 2-minute offense why?

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

Jostate

Bluecolla's sock
A/V Subscriber
Jun 24, 2005
A couple of fun facts before we move on to TCU.

Of all the teams who have been to at least 30 bowl games OSU is 3rd in winning percentage at 633.

Of all the teams who have been to at least 30 bowl games Ttech is last at .382. Even if you include all the teams who had at least 20 bowl games Ttech is 1 above last as UVA is at .381.

Nov 25, 2009
Kedah Malaysia

We once upon a time pride and prepared ourselves to be able to play catch-up and score with less than 2 minutes at ease.

We now seems to abandon that?

We wanted to play power ball control time grinding in your face football with thin, limping OLs.?

Feb 18, 2009
So you measure our offensive performance based on TTech’s offensive performance? Do you realize the kickoff return and interception return robbed our offense of two possessions and gave their offense two extra possessions.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
And we quit trying to move it up 50-31 with 9:40 to play.

Sep 29, 2011
Breckenridge, CO
So you measure our offensive performance based on TTech’s offensive performance? Do you realize the kickoff return and interception return robbed our offense of two possessions and gave their offense two extra possessions.

And we quit trying to move it up 50-31 with 9:40 to play.
No. We tried moving the ball in a deliberate approach. The only way you realistically get beat is by needlessly turning the ball over.

The score is kept with points scored, not yards gained.

wrenhal

Federal Marshal
Aug 11, 2011

We once upon a time pride and prepared ourselves to be able to play catch-up and score with less than 2 minutes at ease.

We now seems to abandon that?

We wanted to play power ball control time grinding in your face football with thin, limping OLs.?
I look to the last scoring drive of regulation against texas. Seemed pretty efficient and quick.