Sunday Morning Coaches - Aggies vs Sand Aggies edition

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.
Feb 15, 2017
Texas
I know Gundy plays the percentages and being conservative when up by 19 pts in the 4th quarter will win you 9 out of 10 games . . . but is is sooooo painful to watch us start milking the clock with 9+ min to go in the game. . .

RxCowboy

Has no Rx for his orange obsession.
A/V Subscriber
Nov 8, 2004
Wishing I was in Stillwater
I know Gundy plays the percentages and being conservative when up by 19 pts in the 4th quarter will win you 9 out of 10 games . . . but is is sooooo painful to watch us start milking the clock with 9+ min to go in the game. . .
That's really my only disagreement. After we got the ball on the 50 following the safety, score there and you step on their throats. We really didn't kill much clock with 3 straight line plunges for 3 total yards. Pick up a first down and you're looking at killing a couple of minutes.

Feb 15, 2017
Texas
That's really my only disagreement. After we got the ball on the 50 following the safety, score there and you step on their throats. We really didn't kill much clock with 3 straight line plunges for 3 total yards. Pick up a first down and you're looking at killing a couple of minutes.
Agreed. I wish Gundy's "kill the clock" plan was multiple 1st downs rather than 3 ultra safe running plays for zero yards.

Jostate

Bluecolla's sock
A/V Subscriber
Jun 24, 2005
A couple of things of little substance to add here.

Score that last stinkin TD. I remember in a similar situation we took a knee because a TD+ extra point would have put us up by 8, giving the other team a very slim chance. This time it would have put us up by 14 with less than a minute to go. All smart *** comments aside even we can't jack that up. Plus it's Tech.

Has one team ever done 3 onside kicks in a game in major college ball? That's got to be some kind of record.

If I'm a Tech fan I'm feeling a little like we did after the UT game. Just too benevolent. It wasn't as many turnovers but they gave us some gifts.

Last edited:
Nov 14, 2010

Score that last stinkin TD. I remember in a similar situation we took a knee because a TD+ extra point would have put us up by 8, giving the other team a very slim chance. This time it would have put us up by 14 with less than a minute to go. All smart *** comments aside even we can't jack that up. Plus it's Tech.

Has one team ever done 3 onside kicks in a game in major college ball? That's got to be some kind of record.

If I'm a Tech fan I'm feeling a little like we did after the UT game. Just too benevolent. It wasn't as many turnovers but they gave us some gifts.
What are the percentages that a team loses a fumble in the victory formation, while taking a knee, then the other team recovers that fumble, then goes 90+ yards in 46 seconds with no timeouts?

I've never seen it

When Jackson went down there was 1:26 left

Thats how much time Tech would have had if he would have scored.

I've seen teams score twice in 1:26

Literally the only way we had a chance of losing was to let Tech play offense again.

Tech's defense barely even moved on the knee downs.

The only thing we screwed up was that we didn't let the play clock go all the way down.

We needed to make sure Sanders went down under:40 or close enough to where the 2nd knee was the last play of the game.

We should have only had to run 1 play or at least made the 2nd play the last play of the game

If you're Tech, which one would you rather have had.....

The ball with 1:26 or OSU taking a knee with :46 seconds left

Last edited:
Nov 6, 2010

A little different in that the only "gift" I'd say was the onside. No need for it there, but that's the time those have the best chance of working, and you can say they were playing aggressively and trying to win. The Sterling pick was just a veteran play from time in the film room, all him. The other turnovers evened out between the two teams. I may be forgetting something though.

Jostate

Bluecolla's sock
A/V Subscriber
Jun 24, 2005
What are the percentages that a team loses a fumble in the victory formation, while taking a knee, then the other team recovers that fumble, then goes 90+ yards in 46 seconds with no timeouts?

I've never seen it

When Jackson went down there was 1:26 left

Thats how much time Tech would have had if he would have scored.

I've seen teams score twice in 1:26

Literally the only way we had a chance of losing was to let Tech play offense again.

Tech's defense barely even moved on the knee downs.

The only thing we screwed up was that we didn't let the play clock go all the way down.

We needed to make sure Sanders went down under:40 or close enough to where the 2nd knee was the last play of the game.

We should have only had to run 1 play or at least made the 2nd play the last play of the game

If you're Tech, which one would you rather have had.....

The ball with 1:26 or OSU taking a knee with :46 seconds left
For some reason that made me a little out of breath when it read it.

wrenhal

Federal Marshal
Aug 11, 2011
I was actually pleasantly surprised with how many students were there seeing that they do not have to return to campus at all after Thanksgiving. For once it was the students who outperformed the alums.
Also, FYI, it carried over to the basketball game. I was critical of student attendance last season, but was pleasantly surprised last night.
With limited attendance, these are the kids that really want to be there rather than just make an appearance. They are the same ones that stayed until the end last season.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

Sep 29, 2011
Breckenridge, CO
I guess an explanation of what grades you'd change would help here.
Offense lost 34-44. Defense/ST scored 16 points and saved our butts. No way I give offense a B. I give Dez Jackson a huge :heart: for the work he did but overall not a B.
So you measure our offensive performance based on TTech’s offensive performance? Do you realize the kickoff return and interception return robbed our offense of two possessions and gave their offense two extra possessions.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sep 29, 2011
Breckenridge, CO
Egregious coaching decisions before halftime, not using timeouts to try and score. Embarrassing.

Game showed how important Rodarius is.

Dez was awesome.

I’ve run out of Tylan adjectives. Bless that man.

Losing Hale may cost us one of these last 2 games.
Yea, nothing like running out of time at midfield and taking two timeouts to the locker room with you.
You two and others are out of your minds.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sep 22, 2011
The whole game can be summed up by the following, tech was bad enough that they couldn’t punish our depleted OL. My hope is we continue to progress on the OL. On defense, a couple of missed run fits and the one CB who kept getting torched away from another good performance. We have the weapons and the defense, we just need to keep getting better on the line and heal up.

Sep 22, 2011
I totally forgot to hand out helmet stickers. Tre definitely gets one.

Helmet stickers: Jason Taylor II, Tre Sterling, Spencer Sanders (it's pretty clear he's in pain), Jackson, o-line, Wallace.

Who else gets a helmet sticker?
I was happy to see sterling have another great game after OU picked on him pretty badly last week. As usual, malcolm rodriguez continued his all American season IMO, we need a new award to give to him and Wallace, because they perform every week.

Ogbongbamiga made a couple of big plays as well