Summer Thread #1: What made you love OSU Sports?

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

CaliforniaCowboy

Federal Marshal
Oct 15, 2003
So Cal
I was always a sports fan growing up, playing several, and watching whatever was on Wild World of Sports on the weekend.. otherwise, watched almost exclusively Pro sports.

Then I went to OSU so it was a natural transition.

Sep 4, 2006
Tulsa, OK
Dec. 30th, 1996...Mabee Center, in Tulsa. ORU and OSU set up a double header (similar to this year at the BOK with TU). ORU played Southern Miss and OSU played Nevada. I was a kid, and didn't really have any allegiance to any state school at the time, just loved basketball. But the pokes brought the band, the cheerleaders, and made a big deal out of it, at least thats how it seemed then. I was hooked.

Whats funny is we really weren't good that year, but I wouldn't have known any better. The fanfare hooked me way more than the play. Thank God Eddie set that thing up, or I might have gone to school somewhere else.

Last edited:

Duke Silver

Find safe haven in a warm bathtub full of my jazz.
A/V Subscriber
Sep 17, 2004
Cozy's Bar
Dec. 30th, 1996...Mabee Center, in Tulsa. ORU and OSU set up a double header (similar to this year at the BOK with TU). ORU played Southern Miss and OSU played Nevada. I was a kid, and didn't really have any allegiance to any state school at the time, just loved basketball. But the pokes brought the band, the cheerleaders, and made a big deal out of it, at least thats how it seemed then. I was hooked.

Whats funny is we really weren't good that year, but I wouldn't have known any better. The fanfare hooked me way more than the play. Thank God Eddie set that thing up, or I might have gone to school somewhere else.
I was there

Nov 22, 2010
Oklahoma City, OK
I'm a guy that loves to root for the underdog. My family is pretty much all OU fans/Alums...so I was not influenced to love OSU...but love it so much...to keep it simple...underdog, better fans, Eddie Sutton, Rashaun Woods, Orange & Black, and many more. My bedroom was covered in OSU growing up and my office is to this day. Go Pokes!!

CaliforniaCowboy

Federal Marshal
Oct 15, 2003
So Cal
I did not decide to attend OSU because of sports, but I remain affiliated with OSU because of sports... I enjoy the camaraderie and common interest that keeps our Cowboy family together.

Many of you make it a dysfunctional family at times, but it's my family. (LOL)

there were many memorable events that lead up to my perpetual affiliation, like our proficiency in non-rev sports like wrestling, which I enjoyed attending .... dragging our dorm mattresses into the hallway to listen to the OSU/NU game on the radio .... the 1976 Bedlam game.... finding my passed out roommate from the east endzone bushes after he had left at halftime because of too much cowboy koolaid....

Jul 9, 2011
Yankees Tavern, Carlos Texas
I did not decide to attend OSU because of sports, but I remain affiliated with OSU because of sports... I enjoy the camaraderie and common interest that keeps our Cowboy family together.

Many of you make it a dysfunctional family at times, but it's my family. (LOL)

there were many memorable events that lead up to my perpetual affiliation, like our proficiency in non-rev sports like wrestling, which I enjoyed attending .... dragging our dorm mattresses into the hallway to listen to the OSU/NU game on the radio .... the 1976 Bedlam game.... finding my passed out roommate from the east endzone bushes after he had left at halftime because of too much cowboy koolaid....
I agree - it's through sports that I have remained affiliated with the school.

Darth Ryno

Territorial Marshal
Jul 26, 2004
Tishomingo, OK
www.sith.ws
I'm a 3rd generation OSU alum/fan. Grandfather graduated from OKAM in 1944, Dad in 1973. My mom grew up a die-hard OU fan, the entire half of that family aside from one uncle, are rabid OU fans. They sorta let me choose my own path. Was pretty easy watching Thurman and Barry when I was 12-13. Fell in love with OSU and got sick of seeing everyone was a bandwagon OU fan, even though they couldn't name 2 players. My mom converted Orange after my first year at OSU (1993) and has been a huge OSU fan since.

Hopefully my youngest daughter will make it a 4th generation Poke. She bleeds orange but wants to go to G'Town law.

CTeamPoke

Legendary Cowboy
Jun 18, 2008
Dallas, TX
I'm a 3rd generation OSU alum/fan. Grandfather graduated from OKAM in 1944, Dad in 1973. My mom grew up a die-hard OU fan, the entire half of that family aside from one uncle, are rabid OU fans. They sorta let me choose my own path. Was pretty easy watching Thurman and Barry when I was 12-13. Fell in love with OSU and got sick of seeing everyone was a bandwagon OU fan, even though they couldn't name 2 players. My mom converted Orange after my first year at OSU (1993) and has been a huge OSU fan since.

Hopefully my youngest daughter will make it a 4th generation Poke. She bleeds orange but wants to go to G'Town law.
Hey if she studies something low stress and just focuses on getting a 180 on the LSAT then she can go to Georgetown Law from OSU. There are a ton of folks just like that out there... but all law schools care about these days is your GPA and your LSAT score. So if you study something you're good at, like English, get a 4.0, and study and practice your butt off for LSAT, then you'll get in to any of the top law schools.

If you're like me and challenge yourself in a more difficult major and don't really pay attention to the LSAT until your senior year, then your ceiling is an SMU or Houston or Tulsa for law school... which isn't really worth it... so you end up in a sales job, which is great too.

Ptak'sNewspaper

Territorial Marshal
A/V Subscriber
Sep 30, 2004
On Tour with the Gap Band
strikeupthegapband.com
My parents’ first date was at The Hideaway, so I was destined to bleed orange. So I’ll just list the particular OSU teams that made me fall in love with that sport.

1997 - football. R.W., Mayes, Lindsay, Kevin Williams, Tarrell Knauls, Kenyatta Wright. Fun team. Seemed like a long wait until 2002 for our next bowl game. Rashaun Woods will always be my all time favorite.

1997-1998 - basketball. Desmond, Joe, Adrian, and Doug. Such a fun season in GIA. I always feel like that team was kind of underrated as it won the Big 12 South. Desmond Mason will always be my all time favorite.

1999 - baseball. Matthews, Gasparino, Smith, Holliday, great team. We’ve had so many sluggers in our history that most don’t know that Lamont Matthews would be the all time HR king at about 90+% of the country’s baseball programs. Too many greats to pick a favorite.

Darth Ryno

Territorial Marshal
Jul 26, 2004
Tishomingo, OK
www.sith.ws
Hey if she studies something low stress and just focuses on getting a 180 on the LSAT then she can go to Georgetown Law from OSU. There are a ton of folks just like that out there... but all law schools care about these days is your GPA and your LSAT score. So if you study something you're good at, like English, get a 4.0, and study and practice your butt off for LSAT, then you'll get in to any of the top law schools.

If you're like me and challenge yourself in a more difficult major and don't really pay attention to the LSAT until your senior year, then your ceiling is an SMU or Houston or Tulsa for law school... which isn't really worth it... so you end up in a sales job, which is great too.
I remember going through that with my ex. She pushed herself at OSU when we lived there, finished in 3 1/2 years (w/4.0 and honors) and struggled on the LSAT. She went to OU and managed to graduate in the top 10% but she was worried about getting in.

osupsycho

MAXIMUM EFFORT!!!
A/V Subscriber
Apr 20, 2005
Valhalla
So I am 3rd generation as my grandmother attended A&M and my parents both went to OSU. Of course though as a teenager I wanted to rebel and was thinking hard about CU (mainly for the location but they were only a few years off a national title which excited me), or OU who was giving me the biggest scholarship. Luckily I realized I would likely end up flunking out of CU as I would never want to be in the classroom, plus of course a girl made me decide not to go that far away. Then my father called up OSU and got them to match the OU scholarship. After visiting both schools there was no question, OSU was just better all around so I kept the family school thing going and it then led to my siblings and all of our spouses graduating from OSU. My High school junior son will likely make it the start of the fourth generation as he is set on going to OSU, he won’t even take visits to any other college. And don’t regret CU as that girl is now my wife.