Summer Thread #1: What made you love OSU Sports?

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

RxCowboy

Has no Rx for his orange obsession.
A/V Subscriber
Nov 8, 2004
Wishing I was in Stillwater
Dude, no wonder you were being recruited in football...that man had huge hips and knew how to use them...he pinned nearly everyone he wrestled. Good job Rx, I've always had great respect for your postings and now even more! Have an outstanding day!
Thanks. There's more to the story...

178 and HW were the top two weight classes in Oklahoma at the time. Going into my senior I weighed about 210. HW at the time was unlimited. I started trying to pull to 178 at Christmas break. I made weight at 178 once, but couldn't hold it. When I weighed in at regional I weighed about 182 pounds and couldn't drop the other 4 without doing illegal stuff. So, when I wrestled Flemmons in the second round (I won my first round match) I gave up about 80 pounds to him. He was bigger, stronger, and faster than I was on the mat. Still, there were two people in the regional that he didn't pin, Joey Fowler and me. He just beat the crap out of us.

The school I went to in Iowa wanted me to wrestle and play football, but I was caught again between the top two weights. When I got there I had bulked up to about 230. My choices were wrestle HW/unlimited, which I didn't want to, or pull to 185, which was insane.

Rack

Federal Marshal
Oct 13, 2004
Earth
Thanks. There's more to the story...

178 and HW were the top two weight classes in Oklahoma at the time. Going into my senior I weighed about 210. HW at the time was unlimited. I started trying to pull to 178 at Christmas break. I made weight at 178 once, but couldn't hold it. When I weighed in at regional I weighed about 182 pounds and couldn't drop the other 4 without doing illegal stuff. So, when I wrestled Flemmons in the second round (I won my first round match) I gave up about 80 pounds to him. He was bigger, stronger, and faster than I was on the mat. Still, there were two people in the regional that he didn't pin, Joey Fowler and me. He just beat the crap out of us.

The school I went to in Iowa wanted me to wrestle and play football, but I was caught again between the top two weights. When I got there I had bulked up to about 230. My choices were wrestle HW/unlimited, which I didn't want to, or pull to 185, which was insane.
That's a problem I didn't have...I wrestled at 123 lbs in High School...weigh about 190 now...lol. Should have wrestled at 134 but coach didn't want me at that weight as he wanted all his best wrestlers to pull weight. I was pulling about 15-20lbs a week. Always started out as top in the state and ended up barely qualifying for state due to being exhausted from all the weight pulling. Think I messed up my kidney's taking too many water pills. Wish that they had tighter controls on what kids did back then.

RxCowboy

A/V Subscriber
Nov 8, 2004
That's a problem I didn't have...I wrestled at 123 lbs in High School...weigh about 190 now...lol. Should have wrestled at 134 but coach didn't want me at that weight as he wanted all his best wrestlers to pull weight. I was pulling about 15-20lbs a week. Always started out as top in the state and ended up barely qualifying for state due to being exhausted from all the weight pulling. Think I messed up my kidney's taking too many water pills. Wish that they had tighter controls on what kids did back then.
You can't mess up your kidneys taking water pills, they aren't really nephrotoxins. You can deafen yourself, though, and can cause all kinds of potentially fatal electrolyte imbalances (low potassium).

CPTNQUIRK

I'm Your Captain!
A/V Subscriber
Nov 20, 2006
In the Boondocks in Creek County, Oklahoma
I started at OSU in the fall of 1969 and lasted until the fall of ‘71 before dropping out. I was depressed and couldn’t concentrate on studies. The performance of the football team was depressing as well. As they say, misery loves company, so I liked the football team.

Edit. After continuing my education at OSU-Okmulgee and going to the University of Tulsa while working at Amoco Research in Tulsa for five years, I returned to OSU in the summer of 1980 and graduated in 1984. I have had football season tickets since 1969 every year except for one year in the mid-‘70s.

Last edited:
Feb 18, 2009
Similar to @CTeamPoke I think I was destined to cheer for the Cowboys. Entire family attended, grew up on stories of college life in Stillwater. I've often teased my Dad about raising me to cheer for the Cowboys after another gut wrenching loss. But I wouldn't have it any other way. Oldest starts there in the fall. Now I have the best reason possible to make more trips up there from Dallas.

For me, GIA will always be what I associate most with OSU and Cowboy Sports. There is nothing like that place.

Nov 8, 2013
I make it to Stillwater (100 miles one way) for all football games, all wrestling matches, usually 3 or 4 baseball games, and 3 or 4 basketball games. This averages out to about 20 times a year or almost once every two weeks. I haven't been in about 3 months now and do believe I may be experiencing withdrawals.

I am jealous! (But then again, it's a 1000 miles for me)

Well

Wrangler
A/V Subscriber
Dec 17, 2009
Both brothers and sister went to OSU. I was the only sports nut in the family. It kinda flowed from there when I got on campus.

SwingingPete

Wrangler
A/V Subscriber
Jan 28, 2011
Edmond, OK
Tommy Flemmons was also our heavyweight and a hell of a wrestler At Altus in the early 80's, along with my brother and another young man who died in a car wreak and would have likely been a tight-end and starting wrestler both at OSU (my brothers best friend and a huge loss to all of us at the time). You played Atlus likely when I was a Sophomore in High School. We were really hoping Tommy would go to OSU...but I guess the big bucks called his name??
Rack - you're from Altus?

RxCowboy

A/V Subscriber
Nov 8, 2004
I started at OSU in the fall of 1969 and lasted until the fall of ‘71 before dropping out. I was depressed and couldn’t concentrate on studies. The performance of the football team was depressing as well. As they say, misery loves company, so I liked the football team.

Edit. After continuing my education at OSU-Okmulgee and going to the University of Tulsa while working at Amoco Research in Tulsa for five years, I returned to OSU in the summer of 1980 and graduated in 1984. I have had football season tickets since 1969 every year except for one year in the mid-‘70s.
I love the resiliency, Cap. Good as heck for you!

VENTRINO

You've got 5 seconds.. and 3 are up.
Sep 10, 2008
The Dojo
I was born and raised in Stillwater. Although I didn’t attend OSU, I made it to as many sporting events as young me could. So many cool childhood memories attending OSU wrestling camps and having the opportunity to get tossed around by some of the best wrestlers in the country.. and the old alumni basketball games (forgot what the official name), being able to go down to the floor to grab some autographs and meet some sports legends. So many good memories

Mar 8, 2010
It was my first bedlam football game at the old Lewis Field and we were tied with the gooners 0-0 late in the fourth quarter when they finally scored and beat us 7-0. I think it was 1957. I was 9 years old and went with my two older cousins who were die-hard OSU fans. In those days you could pretty much buy your ticket and wind up pretty close to the 50 yard line near football field level. I just remember the noise of how hard the hits sounded throughout the game and the bitter disappointment of that hard fought loss and how easy it was to hate zero-u. Been hating them ever since!

Jul 9, 2011
Yankees Tavern, Carlos Texas
I had a little different experience than most of you.

Unlike many of you I was not a "Cradle Cowboy", in fact I'm the first from either side of my family (that I know of) to attend college. I remember the hand written update letters from my Great-grandmother who lived out her life on a small farm in southern Oklahoma; she would copy the letters several times by hand and send them to various family members to keep everyone informed. She would have a few words about the weather, and then a short line about happenings to different members of the family, and then a closing. When she updated about our family she would not mention me at all except once in a while should would just say "and Steve went off to college" like I had gone to the moon never to be seen again - she had a difficult time getting her mind around a descendant of hers attending college.

I grew up in Ardmore, which back then was as big an OU town as there could possibly be (it may still be for all I know). There was no internet and not a lot of college sports on TV in the late 60's/early 70's. We listened to OU games on the radio, and I don't think we could pick up OSU games at all. The great majority of students who went to a major college from Ardmore went to OU; I barely knew OSU existed. I attended Band Day at OU with the high school band and went to a few other OU football games with friends. Through my junior year of high school OU and Southeastern in Durant were the only two college campuses I had ever seen in person. I had planned on going to OU pretty much by default.

I then made the all state band my senior year, and that year the practices and concert were at OSU. In the few days I was there for all state band, I was sold on OSU: It looked like a college campus, beautiful. It had a good business school. It had a lot of good looking coeds. It had the Strip. But I had already enrolled at OU. However the idea of going to OSU worked on me and finally in very late July/early August, on a flyer, I drove to Stillwater and asked if I could enroll late. Fortunately I had a good SAT score and the Admissions Office found me a dorm room and created a schedule for me.

I did not discover OSU sports until I actually got on campus. Loved all of it. Saw the old basement of GIA with all of the old pictures and paraphernalia, and got to go all through the old "Rustoleum" stadium. I've been hooked on OSU sports ever since. I ended up being Drum Major of the CMB and played in/directed the pep bands, so I attended virtually every home game/match of football, wrestling, and basketball every year. Probably could have had a slightly better GPA as there were some conflicts from time to time and an occasional unsympathetic business school prof that would not accept I was with the band at an away football game, but would not change one thing about my college experience.

Last edited:
Apr 13, 2007
I am not a hard core fan but I am a fan. It started with watching a few games sitting on aluminum benches. At the time OSU was pretty good. I actually had a relative play for Oklahoma A&M on one of their best teams ever.

Jan 21, 2006
Boulder
Brother 1950 and sister 1951, me 1967. Strange family. For me it was my sophomore year 1964. Opened with a heartbreaker at AR 10-14, then followed a couple weeks later with a 10-7 upset of #3 Mizzou at Coumbia. I met the plane at Stillwater International. It doesn't get much better than that.

Cowboy2U

Federal Marshal
Mar 31, 2008
Lots of players that made me a Poke, Barry Sanders being top of the list as a most humble champion but Henry Iba probably is the best. Wouldn't take money to cheat. Turd u down I'-35 wasn't as choosy, they took the weasel's way and I'm so proud we took the right way.