Summer Thread #1: What made you love OSU Sports?

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

RxCowboy

Has no Rx for his orange obsession.
A/V Subscriber
Nov 8, 2004
Wishing I was in Stillwater
We've reached the summer lull so it is time for the (in)famous summer threads. The first up, what was it that made you love OSU sports in the first place?

For me it was attending my very first college football game which is immortalized in my banner below, OSU vs Mizzou in 1977. Terry Miller, 'nuff said.

CTeamPoke

Legendary Cowboy
Jun 18, 2008
Dallas, TX
I was destined to be an OSU fan. Didn't really have another option as a third generation Poke. I mean... I guess if I was smart enough to go to Rice or something like that, I would have, but would've still been an OSU fan.

The moment it was cemented was in 2004 at the Big 12 Basketball Championship game in Dallas. The night before... March 12... this happened: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/McKinney_homicide ... Austin was my group leader in football offseason workouts and we were all pretty close. My father took me down to the American Airlines Center... I guess as a distraction... and I just became glued to that team through the Final Four. I didn't even apply to any other colleges after that.

Aug 22, 2006
SE Oklahoma
My first football game in 1997, or maybe my first Bedlam basketball game the next spring it was so loud my ears were ringing the next day. I was a legacy but grew up in Arkansas and was a Razorback fan for 18 years, that went away quickly.

Jun 11, 2016
Oklahoma City
My mother and father are both OSU grads. Spent a lot of time on campus and my mom was a proctor in the Wes Watkins center so she would run into athletes here and there. In 4th grade we got some OSU football posters and my mom took it to work since she knew a few of the players. John Lewis signed it and I thought it was the coolest thing. Aso came to my HS as well and of course we were enamored. The UAB game when Bobik posterized that guy and GIA went insane. That was when I knew I was coming to OSU.

Josephus33

Cowboy
A/V Subscriber
Dec 31, 2014
Tulsa
Even though we lost, 2004 Bedlam football with my dad is one of the fondest memories of my life.
Everyone in my family are cowboys. I was raised to believe that OSU is better than OU, not because we always win on the field but because we’re generally better people. And since I was 4 every toothless moron in this state who ever bought a red shirt from Walmart has convinced me it’s the truth.

keystonecowboy

Loyalist & Truest
A/V Subscriber
Oct 2, 2018
Stillwater
I grew up just a few hours from Lubbock in the part of the world where everybody is a Taco Tech fan.. In fifth grade I went to Lubbock to watch a TTU vs. OSU baseball game. Scott Baker, Ryan Budde, and Luke Scott ensured that I would never again cheer for TTU. I left that game with my parents and told them on the car ride home that one day I would go to Oklahoma State. As my senior year of high school came to a close I forewent some opportunities to play JC baseball and came to the school I had grown to love.

#1 Pokes Fan

Territorial Marshal
Mar 27, 2012
Summer, 1980. I was 12 years old and attending Tom Chesbro's wrestling camp in Gallagher Hall. First time ever in Stillwater in my life. Lee Roy Smith and Kenny Monday were assisting with the camp that summer. My best friend and I stayed in Kerr Hall for the week long camp. We spent a lot of our time at the QT on Hall of Fame and it was also my first taste of Hideaway pizza. We got a large pie and were getting on the elevator to take it to our room when a couple of college age guys were attempting to "jack" our pizza. Two guys (Smith and Monday) cleared our path, rode the elevator up with us, and made sure we made it to our room ok. Only cost us two slices of pizza for the protection. Not a bad rate considering we were about to lose the whole pizza. lol

Ever since that day, I have bled orange. I literally wear something OSU every single day and have now for probably 10 years. I have a $100 bill for anyone who ever catches me out without something OSU on. :thumbup:

I bought this rug while I was there and still display it to this day.

20181114_201300_1561390504800_001.jpg

**While I did not graduate from OSU, almost all of my firefighting classes and credentials are through the OSU fire academy.

Last edited:
Nov 8, 2013
I am the 1st generation Cowboy in my family. I vaguely remember hearing a story or two about OSU sports before attending school (such as Eddie Hannon's shot against Louisville). But for me, my love for OSU sports began while at school - watching Leslie O'Neal and Mark Moore... expecting Lorenza Andrew take the first shot in each hoops game featuring fellow stars Leroy Combs and Matt Clark... camping out for a good seat at "Gallagher Hall" long before "Camp Sutton"... screaming in the apartment as Barry Hanna rumbled in for the TD... experiencing Bedlam heartbreak in 83 and the Ice Bowl in 85... listening to Gary Ward's teams play in the "Oklahoma State Invitational Tournament" in Omaha... sitting in free-throw-line-extended courtside seats with my girlfriend/future wife for basketball games... cheering the "Thurminator" going in "Air Thurman" mode for TD after TD...

I haven't lived in Oklahoma since June, 1987. But the orange that flows through my veins is brighter today than it has ever been... perhaps, in part, due to the fact that we experimented with that horrid burnt-orange variation for a while in the early 80's! ;)

My parents meet while attending OAMC in the thirties. I was born in Stillwater hospital when it was on 9th street and my parents drove me through campus on the way home from the hospital, we lived only two blocks from campus. On Sundays we had lunch after church in the Student Union cafeteria and afterwards I played on the escalators while the adults talked. My siblings brought home part of homecoming floats to decorate our yard and I unofficially rode my bike in the Homecoming parade. In Junior High I sat in the wooden bleachers in the end zone for football and stood in line outside Gallagher Hall in freezing weather for wrestling. In High School I skipped class and hung out on campus, checking out the girls. Growing up in Stillwater, my Freshman year at OSU year was like 13th grade. I never thought about going anywhere else for college. Don't think I really had a choice.

Last edited:

keystonecowboy

Loyalist & Truest
A/V Subscriber
Oct 2, 2018
Stillwater
My parents meet while attending OAMC in the thirties. I was born in Stillwater hospital when it was on 9th street and my parents drove me through campus on the way home from the hospital, we lived only two blocks from campus. On Sundays we had lunch after church in the Student Union cafeteria and afterwards I played on the escalators while the adults talked. My siblings brought home part of homecoming floats to decorate our yard and I unofficially rode my bike in the Homecoming parade. In Junior High I sat in the wooden bleachers in the end zone for football and stood in line outside Gallagher Hall in freezing weather for wrestling. In High School I skipped class and hung out on campus, checking out the girls. Growing up in Stillwater, my Freshman at OSU year was like 13th grade. I never thought about going anywhere else for college. Don't think I really had a choice.
I always find myself to have a bit of envy for someone who has experienced this incredible town and school their entire life. It just isn't fair to the rest of American's lol

Jul 22, 2014
My parents both graduated from OSU in the 80s and my dad's parents went to OAMC in the early 40s. I don't remember ever being anything other than an OSU fan. I may have went to another game or two earlier, but the first one I can remember was the 15-15 Bedlam tie in 1992 when I was 6. My formative years as an OSU fan were in a time of no football success at all other than the glorious 1997 Alamo Bowl season. I remember we got a season highlight VHS tape the athletic dept or Posse made that year and I probably watched it several hundreds of times. I was already obsessed before, but the 1997 season cemented it for good.

RxCowboy

A/V Subscriber
Nov 8, 2004
Summer, 1980. I was 12 years old and attending Tom Chesbro's wrestling camp in Gallagher Hall. First time ever in Stillwater in my life. Lee Roy Smith and Kenny Monday were assisting with the camp that summer. My best friend and I stayed in Kerr Hall for the week long camp. We spent a lot of our time at the QT on Hall of Fame and it was also my first taste of Hideaway pizza. We got a large pie and were getting on the elevator to take it to our room when a couple of college age guys were attempting to "jack" our pizza. Two guys (Smith and Monday) cleared our path, rode the elevator up with us, and made sure we made it to our room ok. Only cost us two slices of pizza for the protection. Not a bad rate considering we were about to lose the whole pizza. lol

Ever since that day, I have bled orange. I literally wear something OSU every single day and have now for probably 10 years. I have a $100 bill for anyone who ever catches me out without something OSU on. :thumbup:

I bought this rug while I was there and still display it to this day.

View attachment 71211

**While I did not graduate from OSU, almost all of my firefighting classes and credentials are through the OSU fire academy.
I grew up wrestling in Oklahoma. We spoke the name of Tommy Chesbro and especially Yojiro Uetake in hushed and reverent tones in my house. But it was football vs. Mizzou in 1977 that I really became a Poke.

I should add, I didn't matriculate to OSU. I was (lightly) recruited to play football by Jim Stanley after the coaches saw me play against Altus. OSU coaches were there looking at running back Steve McKeever, who ended up at UCO. They saw me matched up against Tommy Flemmons, who ended up being an All Big 8 nose tackle at OU. Stanley resigned at the end of the 1978 season and was replaced by Jimmy Johnson. I played one season of small college football at a school in Iowa and ripped my knee to shreds. In the meantime, while I was doing that my parents opened Bunkhouse Furniture in Stillwater, really hoping that would finally get me to Stillwater. It did. I enrolled at OSU after my parents opened the furniture store and delivered furniture for them (as did several OSU athletes).

Delivering furniture in Stillwater was a hoot, particularly over the summers. Most places we delivered to offered us a beer and most Saturdays we were poot-faced at the end of the day. And then we went out on the strip and did some real drinking.

Rack

Federal Marshal
Oct 13, 2004
Earth
I was destined to be an OSU fan. Didn't really have another option as a third generation Poke. I mean... I guess if I was smart enough to go to Rice or something like that, I would have, but would've still been an OSU fan.

The moment it was cemented was in 2004 at the Big 12 Basketball Championship game in Dallas. The night before... March 12... this happened: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/McKinney_homicide ... Austin was my group leader in football offseason workouts and we were all pretty close. My father took me down to the American Airlines Center... I guess as a distraction... and I just became glued to that team through the Final Four. I didn't even apply to any other colleges after that.
Man, that's really tragic...Glad your Dad (and the Cowboys) were there to help you through it.

Rack

Federal Marshal
Oct 13, 2004
Earth
I grew up wrestling in Oklahoma. We spoke the name of Tommy Chesbro and especially Yojiro Uetake in hushed and reverent tones in my house. But it was football vs. Mizzou in 1977 that I really became a Poke.

I should add, I didn't matriculate to OSU. I was (lightly) recruited to play football by Jim Stanley after the coaches saw me play against Altus. OSU coaches were there looking at running back Steve McKeever, who ended up at UCO. They saw me matched up against Tommy Flemmons, who ended up being an All Big 8 nose tackle at OU. Stanley resigned at the end of the 1978 season and was replaced by Jimmy Johnson. I played one season of small college football at a school in Iowa and ripped my knee to shreds. In the meantime, while I was doing that my parents opened Bunkhouse Furniture in Stillwater, really hoping that would finally get me to Stillwater. It did. I enrolled at OSU after my parents opened the furniture store and delivered furniture for them (as did several OSU athletes).

Delivering furniture in Stillwater was a hoot, particularly over the summers. Most places we delivered to offered us a beer and most Saturdays we were poot-faced at the end of the day. And then we went out on the strip and did some real drinking.
Tommy Flemmons was also our heavyweight and a hell of a wrestler At Altus in the early 80's, along with my brother and another young man who died in a car wreak and would have likely been a tight-end and starting wrestler both at OSU (my brothers best friend and a huge loss to all of us at the time). You played Atlus likely when I was a Sophomore in High School. We were really hoping Tommy would go to OSU...but I guess the big bucks called his name??

Rack

Federal Marshal
Oct 13, 2004
Earth
Dad was the first person in our family to attend University and started at Oklahoma State in 1957 and graduated in 61 with a double major in Military Science (USAF thrice decorated flyer) and Animal Husbandry, My uncle whom I have great respect for as well was an Accounting major a few years later (owns his own firm in Tulsa for over 35 years), Numerous Cousins and my older brother all attended so I was also in line to be a Poke. All that being said, we were stationed in So Cal in the late 60's early 70's so my folks were unable to get us to any games as young children and my Dad was one of those old OU and OSU fans due to Bud Wilkerson, he rooted for both schools but always chose OSU over them. Oddly when ou and USC used to play @ USC I always rooted against my Dad vs them. He didn't understand that but something about them I didn't care for...even then. Once we were stationed back in the Mid-west at first Wichita/Derby Kansas then finally Altus they started taking us to games again. I gave my folks a hard time for never taking me to this cool place. I was in love with the campus and the football game day atmosphere even back in the 70's...Once I finally saw the place and experienced the people I became a fan for life. OSU fan 1973-2019 and going....

#1 Pokes Fan

Territorial Marshal
Mar 27, 2012
I make it to Stillwater (100 miles one way) for all football games, all wrestling matches, usually 3 or 4 baseball games, and 3 or 4 basketball games. This averages out to about 20 times a year or almost once every two weeks. I haven't been in about 3 months now and do believe I may be experiencing withdrawals.

Last edited:

RxCowboy

A/V Subscriber
Nov 8, 2004
Tommy Flemmons was also our heavyweight and a hell of a wrestler At Altus in the early 80's, along with my brother and another young man who died in a car wreak and would have likely been a tight-end and starting wrestler both at OSU (my brothers best friend and a huge loss to all of us at the time). You played Atlus likely when I was a Sophomore in High School. We were really hoping Tommy would go to OSU...but I guess the big bucks called his name??
Yep, I wrestled him, too. He beat me in wrestling. I was one of two people in the regional that he didn't pin. The other was Joey Fowler of Moore who he wrestled in the final.

wrenhal

Territorial Marshal
Aug 11, 2011
What made me love OSU sports? Why it was the rousing banter on the forums that sold it for me.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

Rack

Federal Marshal
Oct 13, 2004
Earth
Yep, I wrestled him, too. He beat me in wrestling. I was one of two people in the regional that he didn't pin. The other was Joey Fowler of Moore who he wrestled in the final.
Dude, no wonder you were being recruited in football...that man had huge hips and knew how to use them...he pinned nearly everyone he wrestled. Good job Rx, I've always had great respect for your postings and now even more! Have an outstanding day!