Suicide Awareness

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

Darth Ryno

Territorial Marshal
Jul 26, 2004
Tishomingo, OK
www.sith.ws
Today marks the one year anniversary that my oldest daughter lost her best friend. He was such an amazing kid, would light up the stage with his presence during musical performances. Never knew that he was fighting depression every day.... just like Robin Williams, seeing those signs are difficult.

I've had suicide strike my family personally with my mother as well, nearly two 1/2 years ago. I know it's touched many on this board as well.

Teen suicide is a growing health concern. It is the second-leading cause of death for young people ages 15 to 24, surpassed only by accidents.

If you or any of your friends have had thoughts of suicide, the most important thing to do is to talk immediately with an adult you trust. Sometimes friends tell us things in confidence and make us promise not to tell anyone else. You may have done this yourself. Secrets can take on a life of their own and become even more powerful because they’re private. Keeping the secret of suicide doesn’t help anyone—it can actually make things worse. Remember, “Friends Help Friends” – so when someone tells you something that worries you, make sure you tell a trusted adult right away.

If you don’t know an adult who would be helpful, call that hotline number 1-800-273-8255 and ask them to help you figure out what to do.

1-800-273-8255
Text HOME to 741741

Veterans and their loved ones can call 1-800-273-8255 and Press 1 or send a text message to 838255 to receive confidential support 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, 365 days a year.

Feb 11, 2007
Oklahoma City
The rule physicians follow is that if anyone is talking suicide, they are thinking of doing it. Therefore deal with it immediately as a real possibility in the hope of preventing it.

Jun 8, 2012
So sorry for your daughter's loss. Suicide is also the leading cause of death worldwide for girl age 15-19. That's a terrifying statistic. (Behavioral Heath providers are also reporters for danger to self/others.)

Darth Ryno

Territorial Marshal
Jul 26, 2004
Tishomingo, OK
www.sith.ws
That hit me really hard. Wow. Thanks for posting... Rylie (my oldest daughter) struggles with the loss of Nathan, who was gay. Never know why, only try to learn and help save others.

Thanks again for the video, I'll share it. Now I need to stop cutting up these onions.

BTW: here is a CNN story about Nathan and a video his mom was wanting help fixing the audio, something to remember her son by. http://www.cnn.com/2016/12/26/us/reddit-video-gift-trnd/index.html