Stillwater Mayor

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.
Apr 12, 2020
Stillwater
City Manager’s part of the statement that mentions if ordinance is constitutional:

“Many of those with objections cite the mistaken belief the requirement is unconstitutional, and under their theory, one cannot be forced to wear a mask. No law or court supports this view. In fact, a recent Federal lawsuit against Guthrie’s face covering order was fully dismissed by the United States District Court for the Western District of Oklahoma.”

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

cowboyinexile

Have some class
A/V Subscriber
Jun 29, 2004
Fairmont, MN
City Manager’s part of the statement that mentions if ordinance is constitutional:

“Many of those with objections cite the mistaken belief the requirement is unconstitutional, and under their theory, one cannot be forced to wear a mask. No law or court supports this view. In fact, a recent Federal lawsuit against Guthrie’s face covering order was fully dismissed by the United States District Court for the Western District of Oklahoma.”

People filed lawsuits against requirements to wear facemasks?

The whole protest thing is ran by people with ulterior motives.

jobob85

Alcoholistic Sage
A/V Subscriber
Mar 11, 2009
I don't care if a business requires it. I care if the government requires it and sends the police to give $500 tickets to everyone who doesn't comply.
So, the local government forces you to protect the general public. Where do you stand on street signs and stop lights?

Oct 30, 2007

How much power the federal, state, & local governments have during an emergency can only be determined by the court system. Whether or not their actions are constitutional depends on which judge you ask. IMO, it's all essentially gray area until it goes before the SCOTUS.

https://www.khou.com/article/news/h...nged/285-08bda52b-b3f4-4493-b187-13dced0bd3bc
“I do not find a statutory or legal basis that would allow me or anyone else in government to issue an order requiring citizens to wear a mask in public,” Montgomery County Jude Mike Keough posted on his official Facebook page. “My general counsel was crystal clear,” said Galveston County Judge Mark Henry. “It's unconstitutional and you will get you sued.”

Oct 22, 2005
Stillwater

I haven't confirmed this, but someone on the Facebook post commented that Guthrie lawsuit was dismissed because no citations were actually issued. So it sounds more like they had no standing because they had no damages. If that's true, it seems like the City is being a bit disingenuous here.

So, the local government forces you to protect the general public. Where do you stand on street signs and stop lights?
They're not comparable because street signs etc. are necessary for traffic flow, have a proven track record of effectiveness and safety, and driving itself is a privilege not a right. The government maintains the streets, so they can write the laws on the streets. Being required to wear a homemade mask to enter society at all is not comparable to driving on road.

Nov 16, 2013
tractor
Would everyone that wants to force the total population to wear a mask also endorse compulsory vaccinations?

I personally don't think little paper masks or bandanas work very well to protect either the person wearing them or anyone they come in contact with. I have worked with wheat my entire life and I am very allergic to wheat fungus. We have never found a mask other than the more expensive masks with the extreme bio filters (the Breaking Bad masks)that actually work. Basidio spores are much larger than a virus.

Masks in grocery stores and Wal-Mart are comforts to some, but obvious irritants to others.

jobob85

Alcoholistic Sage
A/V Subscriber
Mar 11, 2009
I haven't confirmed this, but someone on the Facebook post commented that Guthrie lawsuit was dismissed because no citations were actually issued. So it sounds more like they had no standing because they had no damages. If that's true, it seems like the City is being a bit disingenuous here.

They're not comparable because street signs etc. are necessary for traffic flow, have a proven track record of effectiveness and safety, and driving itself is a privilege not a right. The government maintains the streets, so they can write the laws on the streets. Being required to wear a homemade mask to enter society at all is not comparable to driving on road.
A mask is less of an inconvenience than a four way stop and maybe safer.
I am libertarian leaning person but, people are selfish fucks and sometimes need to be steered towards respecting others.

Oct 30, 2007
I support voluntarily wearing PPE, but I thought that the City of Stillwater overreached by requiring everyone to wear it in public. I don't see any reason why they would need to go above & beyond the guidelines set forth by our national experts. I don't condone the threats of violence, but I'm glad the citizens pushed back on this.

Nov 16, 2013
tractor
I am libertarian leaning person but, people are selfish fucks and sometimes need to be steered towards respecting others.
You have seen our general populace try to dress themselves, haven't you? What makes you think they can wear a mask correctly?

Oct 22, 2005
Stillwater
lol ok

What other behavior should the government steer us towards under threat of punishment? Proper eating habits? Proper social etiquette? Kind speech?

Last edited:

CowboyJD

The Voice of Reason...occasionally......rarely
A/V Subscriber
Dec 10, 2004
Ok, local control is well noted, no argument there. However, the pandemic did not suspend the city charter, the open meeting act or the open record act. In the vast majority of city charters the mayor is simply a member of the city council with a majority vote by the city council required for any declaration. The "I'm in control" mindset exhibited by most mayors is a violation of most of their city charters and did not have a correctly executed public meeting. My question is if these yahoos are running text or email strings in violation of the open meeting act by having quorums discussing these issues outside the public eye. Violating open meeting is punishable by a $500 fine and/or a year in jail.
Just FYI, legislature made changes to the Open Meeting Act that are of limited duration to address and allow some changes necessary to deal with action during this era of social distancing.

jobob85

Alcoholistic Sage
A/V Subscriber
Mar 11, 2009
You have seen our general populace try to dress themselves, haven't you? What makes you think they can wear a mask correctly?
Basically nothing but, we still pass laws and try. I’ve seen them drive, shop and use financial malfeasance. We still try to protect them and protect us from them. I’ve been all over town today and wore a mask. It isn’t a big deal either way but, if people feel safer it will get things up and running again.

jobob85

Alcoholistic Sage
A/V Subscriber
Mar 11, 2009
What other behavior should the government steer us towards under threat of punishment? Proper eating habits? Proper social etiquette? Kind speech?
Where do you draw the line on government?
I dislike big (federal) government.
Are you against dress codes?
For profanity in public?
For any and all drug use?

Jun 18, 2010
Where else but Stillwater
I was just now at Walmart and they would not let me go in to buy food without a useless Fear-mask...."per city ordinance", said the young man guarding the entrance. Literally 20 minutes ago.

Quick quiz--When's the last time a government decreed that regular citizens wear something they didn't want to wear...

(Hint #1: think Germany circa 1941.)

Forcing people to wear things is absolute tyranny. Stillwater is currently a dictatorship.

"America" is suspended in Stillwater, Oklahoma....until our Mayor decides he's ready to give it back.
The mayor doesn't always have good judgment. Anyway, I think very few people want to fight for the right to raise their chances that they will get laid up by a virus. Who wants to take a chance having fever for longer than just a few days? That you have at least an 80% chance of staying out of the hospital isn't high enough for some people.