Steven Spielbert to direct Ready Player One movie

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

NotOnTV

BRB -- Taking an okie leak
A/V Subscriber
Sep 14, 2010
Gondor
Cool. Ernest Cline cut his teeth on Austin's poetry slam circuit in the early 2000's. Very cool to see him become such a big deal.

Pokit N

Cashing Checks & Snapping Necks!
A/V Subscriber
Sep 29, 2006
South Elgin, IL
I had never heard of this book until this thread. So I bought the EVersion Thursday and finished the book last night. It was a lot of fun! Seems like the movie is going to be hard to pull off, but in anyone can Spielberg can.

Binman4OSU

Legendary Cowboy
Aug 31, 2007
Stupid about AGW!!
So I saw the movie last night....and I can say it is VERY loosely based on the book....and that is generous to say

It isn't bad per say...but if you go expecting it to be dedicated to the book story line you will be highly dissatisfied

If u grew up in the 80s or 90s and are a into early video game nerd , horror, or sci fi culture you might enjoy it, if not..don't bother you won't understand how cool it is to see battle toads, or Serenity from Firefly, or knuckles and Sonic..running into battle or get the references and will be completely lost

Last edited:

CowboyOrangeFan

Mmmm, yeah.
A/V Subscriber
Jun 9, 2006
Florida
I had never heard of this book until I saw a trailer for this movie. So I purchased it on Audible. At first I was just listening to it in my spare time. Now I'm listening to it every chance I get and wishing I would have bought the paper copy.

As a poor kid from Oklahoma who grew up in the 80s, who loves technology and sci-fi, who's first computer was a TRS-80, this book is right up my alley. Going to finish the book this week so that I can watch the movie this weekend.

Another tech related book (series) that I really like is "Off to be the Wizard". "Ready Player One" reminds me of that series with its old school tech references.

Binman4OSU

Legendary Cowboy
Aug 31, 2007
Stupid about AGW!!
I had never heard of this book until I saw a trailer for this movie. So I purchased it on Audible. At first I was just listening to it in my spare time. Now I'm listening to it every chance I get and wishing I would have bought the paper copy.

As a poor kid from Oklahoma who grew up in the 80s, who loves technology and sci-fi, who's first computer was a TRS-80, this book is right up my alley. Going to finish the book this week so that I can watch the movie this weekend.

Another tech related book (series) that I really like is "Off to be the Wizard". "Ready Player One" reminds me of that series with its old school tech references.
The book is fantastic, the movie is pretty cool if you were into that stuff as a kid. Dude strait up drives the back to the future Delorean as his VR car...with a mod that has a Kitt light bar on the front of it

President Will Wheaton doesn't make a personal appearance in the Movie...but if you pay attention you can spot a President Will Wheaton poster in one of the scenes

CowboyOrangeFan

Mmmm, yeah.
A/V Subscriber
Jun 9, 2006
Florida
President Will Wheaton doesn't make a personal appearance in the Movie...but if you pay attention you can spot a President Will Wheaton poster in one of the scenes
The audiobook is narrated by Wil Wheaton. At one point Wheaton is referred to as a geezer in the book. It made me chuckle knowing that it was him actually talking.

BTW, it took me about 10-15 minutes to get over hearing his voice as the narrator. All I could think of was him on the "Big Bang Theory" as Sheldon's arch-nemesis. Or as annoying ass Wesley Crusher from ST:TNG.