State of the Program Thoughts. . .

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.
Aug 3, 2009
Boone's Farm
Gundy has gotten too complacent and that is directly reflected in every aspect of this football program right now. Recruiting, lack of creativity on offense, lack of involvement/poor management of defense, indifference on special teams. He keeps talking about this “culture” he's created and I get the sense that he feels he's gotten the program to a point where he can just sit back and let this ship steer itself. Truth is Gundy has taken advantage of the investment Boone Pickens and others have made in the program. Honestly its hard to say if he’s done any better or worse than anyone else would have with that investment. Outside of 2011 you could argue the program has underachieved considering the state of Texas football the past decade or so. He’s provided consistency I guess which is definitely something I don't think we would have gotten outside of an OSU alum. With Herman it appears Texas will be back to competing with OU consistently in the Big 12 and OSU's window of opportunity seems to be closing rapidly. Has Gundy just accepted what we all can't? That he gave it his best shot and anything above and beyond the current level of effort is just futile?

Oct 7, 2015
St. Elmo, CO
Gundy has gotten too complacent and that is directly reflected in every aspect of this football program right now. Recruiting, lack of creativity on offense, lack of involvement/poor management of defense, indifference on special teams. He keeps talking about this “culture” he's created and I get the sense that he feels he's gotten the program to a point where he can just sit back and let this ship steer itself. Truth is Gundy has taken advantage of the investment Boone Pickens and others have made in the program. Honestly its hard to say if he’s done any better or worse than anyone else would have with that investment. Outside of 2011 you could argue the program has underachieved considering the state of Texas football the past decade or so. He’s provided consistency I guess which is definitely something I don't think we would have gotten outside of an OSU alum. With Herman it appears Texas will be back to competing with OU consistently in the Big 12 and OSU's window of opportunity seems to be closing rapidly. Has Gundy just accepted what we all can't? That he gave it his best shot and anything above and beyond the current level of effort is just futile?
Oh, I agree with a lot of things, but I don't agree with Gundy taking advantage of the investment Boone put into the program. Just look at what's been done since Gundy has been here.
We've got a hell of a lot to be thankful for.
Gundy has brought this program out of the dark ages and into the light.

we may be having another disappointing year, but we've been conditioned to expect more -- expect to play for Big 12 Championships and maybe, JUST MAYBE get into a CFP from time to time.

Texas may be back, but it took them a long time and Gundy has been beating Texas like no oth er OSU team ever. WE DO NOT have Texas money nor tradition.
Why do you think it's so easy for pundits to think Texas is back year after sorry year after sorry year -- because they have a tradition that will bring them back.

Does anyone think that UCLA or USC will stay crappy for years? Notre Dame was crappy for a long time, but their tradition and base demands they come back. NBC would especially love to have ND become relevant again. And they seem to be back.

Who would you rather be right now -- Nebraska, Florida State.....Arkansas?!

Gundy is building something and it's taking too long in most people's minds because we want it and everything else STAT.

Sometimes I do believe that Coach Gundy feels under appreciated for what he's done for the program. It's pretty obvious that he could have moved on to more traditional programs with big donor and fan bases. Tennessee for one, but he didn't.

And who hasn't worked for a boss or company that never seemed to appreciate what you've done for them and all the hard work you've put in for them. Oh, yes. You're getting paid well so you should be working even harder with less appreciation?!
How long would you be able to walk in that door each morning with a smile on your face?
It makes one tend to lose focus and drive. Could this possibly be the reason we've seen Mike seem distracted?

Most of us want to see Gundy become at Top Ten coach even if everyone wants to steal him at the end of the year. That's what we want, RIGHT?!

One way or the other, if Gundy needs love and support from OSU fans, he'd better put one in the win column at Manhattan or instead of a postgame vodka smoothie in a hot tub, it'll be a sh*t sandwich in a pressure cooker for our best coach ever.

And I don't think anyone wants to see that.

Nov 30, 2015
Broken Arrow
Hindsight is 20/20, but I think what bothers me the most is that we were one game from a conference title in 2011, 2013, 2015, and 2016 and we only came away with one victory in those four games. I sometimes wonder how our outlook would have been if we had won one or two more of those games. 2013 out of the 3 losses was obviously the worst.

This year looks like it's going to stink, but I'm not ready to say the program is in trouble long term. Hopefully this will just be a rebuild into something bigger next year or the year after. It will definitely be more competitive with Texas looking "back" now. And as always, we have to get over the OU hump to be talking conference titles and beyond.

Sep 23, 2018
Memphis
Oh, I agree with a lot of things, but I don't agree with Gundy taking advantage of the investment Boone put into the program. Just look at what's been done since Gundy has been here.
We've got a hell of a lot to be thankful for.
Gundy has brought this program out of the dark ages and into the light.

we may be having another disappointing year, but we've been conditioned to expect more -- expect to play for Big 12 Championships and maybe, JUST MAYBE get into a CFP from time to time.

Texas may be back, but it took them a long time and Gundy has been beating Texas like no oth er OSU team ever. WE DO NOT have Texas money nor tradition.
Why do you think it's so easy for pundits to think Texas is back year after sorry year after sorry year -- because they have a tradition that will bring them back.

Does anyone think that UCLA or USC will stay crappy for years? Notre Dame was crappy for a long time, but their tradition and base demands they come back. NBC would especially love to have ND become relevant again. And they seem to be back.

Who would you rather be right now -- Nebraska, Florida State.....Arkansas?!

Gundy is building something and it's taking too long in most people's minds because we want it and everything else STAT.

Sometimes I do believe that Coach Gundy feels under appreciated for what he's done for the program. It's pretty obvious that he could have moved on to more traditional programs with big donor and fan bases. Tennessee for one, but he didn't.

And who hasn't worked for a boss or company that never seemed to appreciate what you've done for them and all the hard work you've put in for them. Oh, yes. You're getting paid well so you should be working even harder with less appreciation?!
How long would you be able to walk in that door each morning with a smile on your face?
It makes one tend to lose focus and drive. Could this possibly be the reason we've seen Mike seem distracted?

Most of us want to see Gundy become at Top Ten coach even if everyone wants to steal him at the end of the year. That's what we want, RIGHT?!

One way or the other, if Gundy needs love and support from OSU fans, he'd better put one in the win column at Manhattan or instead of a postgame vodka smoothie in a hot tub, it'll be a sh*t sandwich in a pressure cooker for our best coach ever.

And I don't think anyone wants to see that.
I wouldn't care being Florida State TOO much, given they did win a national championship in the last 10 years and went to the playoff twice. Though, cheering for a school with Shame-is Winston as their QB would be extremely difficult. That guy is a walking trash can.

Nov 6, 2010
Hindsight is 20/20, but I think what bothers me the most is that we were one game from a conference title in 2011, 2013, 2015, and 2016 and we only came away with one victory in those four games. I sometimes wonder how our outlook would have been if we had won one or two more of those games. 2013 out of the 3 losses was obviously the worst.

This year looks like it's going to stink, but I'm not ready to say the program is in trouble long term. Hopefully this will just be a rebuild into something bigger next year or the year after. It will definitely be more competitive with Texas looking "back" now. And as always, we have to get over the OU hump to be talking conference titles and beyond.
What makes those regrets worse is now we'll have to get over the Texas AND OU humps. Having Texas down for nearly a decade has done our win total wonders, and I just don't see that continuing for another decade. Throw in the fact that Texas Tech imploded during that same time period and you can kinda get a gloomy view of the future. But living in Omaha now, I can say unequivocally it could be worse, we could be Husker fans.

Sep 9, 2013
I always thought the Big 12 made out by getting WVU for nebraska. Compare the 2 programs for the past 15 years. WVU has a t time been relevant, 3 bcs bowl wins, and very good in hoops. Nebraska? Not so much. They'd be lucky to beat Tulane this year.

Anyway your program is likely 3rd in big 12, so lol at one average year. You lost too much.

Jostate

CPTNQUIRK called me a greenhorn
A/V Subscriber
Jun 24, 2005
I always thought the Big 12 made out by getting WVU for nebraska. Compare the 2 programs for the past 15 years. WVU has a t time been relevant, 3 bcs bowl wins, and very good in hoops. Nebraska? Not so much. They'd be lucky to beat Tulane this year.

Anyway your program is likely 3rd in big 12, so lol at one average year. You lost too much.
Historically Nebraska has you beat by a mile. They have most schools beat by a mile. But since WV joined the conference it's clearly better than what Nebraska was doing of late.

Nov 1, 2009
Dallas
Sad we could’ve had 3 more conf titles with less than a handful of plays

StillwaterMan

Beers and loud noises
A/V Subscriber
Jan 5, 2010
Wheres the food at?
This is potentially the 2nd poor/below average football team we have had in a decade....and we really don't have a clue how this year will go. Everything is in place to be right back in the mix next year and the years after. Even your tOSU's and Michigans have a re-set year.

Program is fine.

Jonkr06

Territorial Marshal
Aug 18, 2007
Katy, TX
How about we wait and see before throwing in the towel on Gundy? He's earned more than a down season. I realize it's the nature of message boards to overreact to everything, but some of these posts have been pretty tough to read.

Nov 25, 2009
Kedah Malaysia
It is just a through of the ripples as we trending to improve the program.

The OLs was overrated and actually got exposed.

The D is supposed to align for BIG12 football, but I not sure where the extra DB was?