State of Big 12 Programs over the next 4 seasons

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

Duke Silver

Find safe haven in a warm bathtub full of my jazz.
A/V Subscriber
Sep 17, 2004
Cozy's Bar
Actually he won 10 games with the bowl and went 10 - 3 in his final year...Since they fired him they have won 10 games 3 times in 16 years and never more than that...they have missed bowls 4 of the last five years and only had one winning record. They are clearly NOT improved from when Solich left 16 years ago. Stupid move on their part. Granted Pelini was pretty damn decent but they have been through two coaches since him and can't get back to their roots.
He was let go because of off the field issues. (Pelini)

Nov 16, 2013
tractor
Holgy wasn't a good fit...he lived in a hotel...but Monken is perhaps one of, if not, HCMG's best friends they went on Vegas vacations together...at least that is my understanding. From what "truth" is saying Mike had to stick his neck out to hire him in spite of the AD, not because of him. Monken was totally on MG...Holgy however may have been slightly nudged in HCMG's direction.
Monken is a wild man, no doubt, they may be best buds, but that's not a typical Gundy hire.

Rack

Legendary Cowboy
Oct 13, 2004
Earth
Not a bad assessment.

Btw, did you know Gundy gets paid $5mil/year??

I kid.

Yeah that's a terrible comparison. Better one would be Beamer stepping down at VaTech or Bellotti at Oregon.

Regardless, projecting the next 4 years is trickier than ever with the # of transfer QB's.
Since ours is likely coming back and IF the kid from Cali is as good as he looks, we are a serious contender in the very near future...if not next year, the next one...will depend on an offensive reload of the RB spot. OL is going to be improved, QB will be improved, who knows on WR if Wallace leaves, OC will be improved with another year and we will have a year older aggressive more experienced defense. IMHO, up trending.

kaboy42

Territorial Marshal
May 2, 2007
Actually he won 10 games with the bowl and went 10 - 3 in his final year...Since they fired him they have won 10 games 3 times in 16 years and never more than that...they have missed bowls 4 of the last five years and only had one winning record. They are clearly NOT improved from when Solich left 16 years ago. Stupid move on their part. Granted Pelini was pretty damn decent but they have been through two coaches since him and can't get back to their roots.
Pelini was terrible. And the fan base couldn't stand him.

Oct 22, 2008
Austin, Tx
OSU youngest team in our history, recent excellent recruiting, best head coach in Big 12. Trending upward.
Well you got one of four correct. We are young. Everything else about the program is trending down and has been for 3-4 years. I expect our days in the top 4 are over for the most part if a couple of these new hires work out.

the truth

Deputy
A/V Subscriber
Jul 9, 2004
I'll say this about MG and whoever replaces him. I believe MG has hit his ceiling for the program. He's not likely to change his stripes this far into his tenure. To improve and move above his ceiling he needs to have a couple of things happen. He and more importantly his assistants need to be held accountable to recruit harder, more diligently, with more focus on higher tier recruits. He (and the athletic admin, BOR, Prez, etc) needs to work like the devil to hire the best and brightest staff. IF, and thats a big if, the school wants to have greater success in FB. OSU as an institution has some inherent liabilities, (location, money, stadium size limitations, fan base to name a few) but those can be overcome to a degree.
The next guy at OSU is a crap shoot. There are a whole lot of P5 coaches that have crashed and burned when given the chance. You are basically rolling the dice. But we're approaching that time because I do think MG has reached his ceiling and he's not going to coach a lot longer. So, the school power brokers need to decide what they want OSU FB to be going forward.

Oct 12, 2019
Dustin,ok
Some come and go, hard to rank them, some drastic decline, Stanford, Mich St, UCLA, coaches are examples, grass ain’t always greener.OSU in good position.

llcoolw

Territorial Marshal
Feb 7, 2005
Sammamish, Washington.Dallas, Texas.Maui, Hawaii
He was let go because of off the field issues. (Pelini)
Which made me think of Dennis Francione. A&M fired him in 2007 or so I thought. I figured everyone was trying to compete with the Stoops hiring. Everyone looking for a grand slam hire. Turns out, he quit. Caught making money on the side. Last season also 9-3 with back to back wins over Texas.

Birry

Federal Marshal
Feb 6, 2007
Landlocked
Since ours is likely coming back and IF the kid from Cali is as good as he looks, we are a serious contender in the very near future...if not next year, the next one...will depend on an offensive reload of the RB spot. OL is going to be improved, QB will be improved, who knows on WR if Wallace leaves, OC will be improved with another year and we will have a year older aggressive more experienced defense. IMHO, up trending.
It's so cute how confident our fans are about future seasons. Can you just change your name to "NEXT Year" already?

Also, what do you mean by "serious contender"? Like, we might lose to uo by less than 10 instead of three scores, or do you mean we'll seriously contend with Baylor, Texas, and Iowa State for 2nd or 3rd in the Big 12?

While I'm not a Gundy groupie, we do have a lot coming together over the next couple years...

-Offensive line depth is improving. I know we had a poor Bedlam showing, but overall there was a noticeable improvement in the o-line this season. Recruiting has drastically improved there, and that trend will continue.
-The defense did (and continues) to make strides. We're just entering the third season of Knowles, and that's when things happened at his previous job. We saw the improvement late season. I believe that will continue.
-WR talent (CJ, etc) looks good for the forseeable future.
-Even though unproven, we do have some dudes at RB. Dropoff from Chuba? Yes. But we're not going into the dumpster.
-Spencer was putting it together mid-season. Kid has a strong future with us. Illingsworth is the future after that.

We really do have a lot of positive things happening. We need to quit using OU as the barometer. We just had our most successful decade in the history of the program. We had some pretty devastating injuries this season and STILL managed to string together eight regular season wins.

We lose perspective sometimes, I think.