St. Johns and HCMB

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

Philranger

Territorial Marshal
Oct 6, 2010
Owasso
You can't talk about deserving what we make in basketball while at the same time throwing monopoly money at Gundy in football.
There's no doubt that Gundy is probably overpaid, but at the same time he has actually won and won big and routinely finishes in the top half of the conference. Boynton has done exactly nothing. I mean I'll give him that we weren't in last place either year but pretty dang close both times.

Also the whole "Yeah but Gundy got raises after sucking" isn't exactly a good talking point because I'm pretty sure everybody was upset when that happened too.

Boynton has recruited well, but that's it. He has done precisely less than what Travis Ford did in his 10 years here.

Duke Silver

Find safe haven in a warm bathtub full of my jazz.
A/V Subscriber
Sep 17, 2004
Cozy's Bar
You can't talk about deserving what we make in basketball while at the same time throwing monopoly money at Gundy in football.
The "monopoly money" was needed to get us somewhat caught up with the pack. The difference here is gundy took one of the least funded, nothing programs and it is now in the area below blue blood. The basketball program has generally been on a whole other level as a program. It sucks that this is getting started, a coach vs. coach thing. I hope Boynton stays and earns a raise after next year.

Mar 27, 2008
There's no doubt that Gundy is probably overpaid, but at the same time he has actually won and won big and routinely finishes in the top half of the conference. Boynton has done exactly nothing. I mean I'll give him that we weren't in last place either year but pretty dang close both times.

Also the whole "Yeah but Gundy got raises after sucking" isn't exactly a good talking point because I'm pretty sure everybody was upset when that happened too.

Boynton has recruited well, but that's it. He has done precisely less than what Travis Ford did in his 10 years here.
That's a fair statement and I agree with you. But I think anyone who is paying attention to basketball can see our future trajectory is very bright under Boynton. At some point you have to invest in what you think the future will be or things like this will continue to happen, where another school can see you have a great coach and is willing to invest.

wrenhal

Territorial Marshal
Aug 11, 2011
It sounds like they have interest in Billy Donovan if the Thunder let him go, but not hearing much about Boynton. They are supposed to begin playing their home games at Madison Square Gardens and they have some high quality players returning, but Mullens wasn't a very good coach. A rich alumni has interest in hiring a top coach. I could see Boynton leaving if they offer him a substantial raise and New York and the Big East is a easy area to recruit top quality players. St. John's is a Big Catholic University with rich alumni donors.
But wouldn't they hire somebody who's Catholic? Just guessing here but I don't think Boynton is Catholic.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

Apr 14, 2008
Texas
So coaches that come out and publically squash rumors that they may be leaving are dumb? Because I don't know how letting things linger is the smart play.
B/c slow playing it to public could result in a raise, meanwhile calling your recruits to assure them that you aren't going anywhere. Not saying that's what he's doing but that's how you play the game. Of course it works much better when you have wins under your belt.

CTeamPoke

Legendary Cowboy
Jun 18, 2008
Dallas, TX
Gundy has produced a top 16 program and is paid top 16 money. That's just reality and cost of doing business.

Boynton has not produced yet, but has us all excited. He will be justly compensated when he gets our program back on track, and I have serious doubts that he would get a better job or a significant raise at this point in his career... Especially from a mid-rate program like St. John's.

wrenhal

Territorial Marshal
Aug 11, 2011
Okay guys I didn't say anything to him but I did see Boynton today dropping off his kid at school at Westwood. But I can say one thing. Everybody in this thread has missed a tweet earlier up that even specifically mentioned Haith as being in the next round of interviews for the job. So that obviously means the talk to the agent was about Haith and not Boynton, so really once that tweet was released all of this is a non-issue.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

CaliforniaCowboy

Federal Marshal
Oct 15, 2003
So Cal
What a total mess. If St John's offers him Holder can't really offer him much, he hasn't won anything yet. I never thought it would go this low. At least Kruger shot down the UCLA rumors quickly, there's only crickets chirping from Boynton.
the only "mess" that I see is our stupid fans listening to rumors being perpetuated by some blog sites.

the real journalists said St Johns wanted to talk to Heith, and apparently they are speaking with him.

just for grins... how many of you actually believe that a coach would voluntarily leave a P5 program with good support for a job in that conference? Honestly.

jetman

Federal Marshal
Nov 27, 2004
Edmond Oklahoma
the only "mess" that I see is our stupid fans listening to rumors being perpetuated by some blog sites.

the real journalists said St Johns wanted to talk to Heith, and apparently they are speaking with him.

just for grins... how many of you actually believe that a coach would voluntarily leave a P5 program with good support for a job in that conference? Honestly.
LOL. Here come the "if only you dummies had the amazing gift of hindsight like me" posts. This was even reported on the local news station sports segments last night that it was reported that St. Johns had interest in Boynton. Plus we all lived through the Les Miles and Underwood departures so forgive us if we start asking for answers when we see smoke.