St. Johns and HCMB

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.
Jun 11, 2016
Oklahoma City
The timing of this is almost too coincidental to believe. With I think two schollys still open and the signing period just starting yesterday (and a 4 star recruit set to make an announcement today I believe), this kind of talk couldn't come at a worse time. I try not to buy into conspiracy theories (or start them in this case) but I wonder if somebody has started this rumor on purpose. Of course, if that were the case, HCMB could send out a tweet easily enough saying it's completely untrue so I don't know what to think.

Jul 31, 2004
Watauga, TX
Boynton has been Twitter silent for a few days. My hope is he is communicating with recruits that he is staying and getting a little bump in salary because of the rumor. I think he is building a solid foundation for the future.

pokes16

Territorial Marshal
Oct 16, 2003
Tulsa
Hard to turn down your home town if they are calling. Obviously, Im biased, but it would take A LOT of money for me to live anywhere close to NYC,

pokes16

Territorial Marshal
Oct 16, 2003
Tulsa
Is it me or is the "Bring back Doug" chorus warming up in the background? BTW I have nothing against Doug at all and would be fine with him as coach. Not that my opinion matters!

Celldweller7

Federal Marshal
A/V Subscriber
Jul 17, 2004
A very specific place
There is absolutely no way Holder lets Boynton get away, right?
I don't see how you can give a raise to a coach coming off a 12 win season, who hasn't been to an NCAA tournament, and is about to make $1.7+ million next season. If he leaves it is to go to a lesser program that will probably pay him at a very similar level (they were paying Mullins $2 million). Bottom line, if by some nightmare, Boynton bolts it is because he wants to be back in NYC and outside of us giving him dumb money there isn't anything we can do about that.

Hopefully, this is just an agent taking the opportunity to get his client's name in the media for a while.

Ptak'sNewspaper

Territorial Marshal
Sep 30, 2004
On Tour with the Gap Band
strikeupthegapband.com
I don't see how you can give a raise to a coach coming off a 12 win season, who hasn't been to an NCAA tournament, and is about to make $1.7+ million next season. If he leaves it is to go to a lesser program that will probably pay him at a very similar level (they were paying Mullins $2 million). Bottom line, if by some nightmare, Boynton bolts it is because he wants to be back in NYC and outside of us giving him dumb money there isn't anything we can do about that.

Hopefully, this is just an agent taking the opportunity to get his client's name in the media for a while.

There is absolutely NO reason to give Boynton a raise, period. We've made him a millionaire, and in my opinion, doesn't deserve a raise at all until he proves he can get us back to the Big Dance.

Mar 27, 2008

It's priorities really. We are fine paying a guy who went 7-6 last season and is 2-12 against OU with only 1 conference championship in his entire career. We are fine with him being the top10 highest paid coaches in the sport. But here we are having a discussion about lowly St. John coming in and stealing our basketball coach, because we don't think he deserves a raise because he hasn't accomplished anything...

jobob85

Alcoholistic Sage
A/V Subscriber
Mar 11, 2009
It's priorities really. We are fine paying a guy who went 7-6 last season and is 2-12 against OU with only 1 conference championship in his entire career. We are fine with him being the top10 highest paid coaches in the sport. But here we are having a discussion about lowly St. John coming in and stealing our basketball coach, because we don't think he deserves a raise because he hasn't accomplished anything...
Thanks for the Gundy reference, it was totally unnecessary and misguided.

Ptak'sNewspaper

Territorial Marshal
Sep 30, 2004
On Tour with the Gap Band
strikeupthegapband.com

I'm not a huge Gundy supporter, but drawing that comparison is ridiculous. Boynton, so far, has accomplished literally nothing as a HC. Gundy OTOH, has won a conference title, gotten us to football's Final Four, and appeared in enough high profile bowl games that you could draw the comparison to "Sweet Sixteen" several times. The comparison is terrible. We finished ranked 14th in the country in 2017 for goodness sake...... Boynton hasn't even gotten us to 69th place...........